Author Topic: Best App/Service for tracking investments, factoring for COST BASIS?  (Read 1342 times)

mmm_tasty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello 'stachians!

First time poster here. I normally lurk as a silent party!

I'd like to know what you all are using to tracking the performance of your investments. I am currently using both Mint (which doesn't seem well suited for this at all) and Personal Capital (which doesn't factor in cost basis). Neither of these platforms are suitable in my mind.

What I'd ideally like is:

- A webapp or service that links to my different accounts online
- Shows account or overall performance, factoring in my cost basis

For this reason, Excel is not a great fit. A little too manual for my tastes.

To further clarify on the "cost basis" point: in Personal Capital, my understanding is that it shows historic performance based on your current allocation of assets. In other words, if you have accounts totaling $1M and add 100K, and then invest that 100K in a new index fund, the "past year" charts will represent what returns you would have seen with the new diversification you now have, and not the distribution of funds you had at the time. Furthermore, it seems there are some problems with simply adding that 100K to the account- it is sometimes viewed as income and can affect your investment return calculations.

This seems like a pretty basic need: "Based on the money I've put in my accounts and the investments I've made, how much have I gained/lost?" but I can't seem to find a solution that handles this short of using Excel.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best App/Service for tracking investments, factoring for COST BASIS?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
I don't really have any services to suggest but if you are wanting it to be mobile you might try a google spreadsheet.  Same issue as with excel as it would take some work to get it all set up and you would have to manually input your transactions but it would be mobile and could give you the information you want.

I personally am using an excel spreadsheet I build to do everything I want. It took me a while to set it all up and does require me to manually enter my transactions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!