Author Topic: Australian Investing Thread  (Read 2589090 times)

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Australian Investing Thread
« Reply #3050 on: May 04, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Realist, the main differences between the retail and wholesale funds are the amount you need to invest to 'buy into' them and the costs (fees) involved. The underlying assets they hold are the same.

For example - management fee of the Retail High Growth Fund is .90%; that's a little high in my view. The same wholesale fund is .37%. So you will pay more in fees in the retail fund. In the same way that compound interest helps grow your money over long periods, compound fees erode it.

Assuming a 7% annual rate of return on 100k invested over 10 years, the difference in fees between these two products would cost you just shy of 10k. This tool will allow you to check the impact of fees on your investment: https://www.dinkytown.net/java/CompareFees.html

One benefit of the retail and wholesale funds are no transaction fees. So no brokerage fees. Although, that's not really true though as you don't get anything for free in the financial industry. The brokerage is simply passed onto you through those .9% and .37% management costs. But if you are investing small amounts often or switching your investments a lot, this might be a good option as paying brokerage for small trades adds up.

With 100k to play with, maybe the VAS/VGS ETF would be better than the retail/wholesale funds. The ETF fees are lower (VAS .14% and VGS .18%), because you pay for brokerage. Over time these lower fees will help your money grow - all things being equal. Let's say you adopt a 50/50 split - your management fees would be .16%. Buying 100k on the share market through a bank brokerage like NAB would cost you .11% of the trade value - so $110 (plus .11% when you sell). Each year you'll then pay $160 in management fees on that 100k. The retail fund costs nothing in brokerage but you'll pay $900 per year and the wholesale fund will cost you $370.

We are comparing apples and oranges here though - but these are the fee differences in the funds you mention.

To learn more about this, there are great books suggested in this post: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/booksvideo-lessons-for-beginner-investor/msg1523893/#msg1523893

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #3051 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
One benefit of the retail and wholesale funds are no transaction fees. So no brokerage fees. Although, that's not really true though as you don't get anything for free in the financial industry. The brokerage is simply passed onto you through those .9% and .37% management costs.

Don't forget the 0.12% buy and sell spread

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3052 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Hi Todge,

Thank you so much for such a great post:). That clarified quite a few things for me. Definitely sounds like etf combo is the way to go.

Just a quick question to you and other experienced investors with regards to asset allocation. Would it make sense if I went for one of these two options:

1. 60k in VAS and 40k in VTS, or
2. 60k in VAS and 40k in VGS.

I would invest 100k all in one go. I'll also be investing 15k quarterly in the above split. I'm investing with a min 15 yr time frame in mind. What are your thoughts?

I haven't included any bonds in the mix so I'm not sure whether that's considered too risky.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #3053 on: May 04, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
Plenty of VGS vs VTS threads in Investor Alley.  Search is your friend.  I personally go VTS for the reasons I stated 6 posts ago.  Plenty of others here prefer VGS though.

With a 15 year timeframe and interest rates at the bottom of the cycle, I think you're ok with no bonds.  But *you* have to be comfortable and able to handle big drops in portfolio value without selling.

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3054 on: May 04, 2017, 11:48:20 PM »
Yep, plenty of experts like Charles Ellis argue that having no bonds is fine and will result in greater returns of the long run.  But as MJR said, this only works if you have the fortitude to stay the course and not panic sell if the market takes a downturn.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3055 on: May 05, 2017, 05:14:09 AM »
Hi Guys,

My parents are about to leave their financial advisor because the financial advisor has been sacked from their company. I'm pretty stoked with this because I am sure they are getting fleeced.

A couple of questions:-

1. Where is the best spot to get a SMSF managed from a legal/accounting perspective at the best possible cost ?
2. They are pretty risk averse. I think the best option for them is something like the balanced vanguard diversified fund with a fee of .34%. Alternatively they could go the ETF route and diversity into something like VAF/VGS & VAS (I do this) and the fees will be a little cheaper. What do you think of the best option.
3. Are there any other options than Vanguard just to diversify across companies and do you think it is worth it ?

They will have I think about $3 million to invest and they also get a pension of about $50k per year to live off. Mum at 72 still works but she is crazy.

My opinion to keep it simple is to just chuck it all in the balanced Vanguard fund and transfer the super fund (already existing) to be managed via https://www.esuperfund.com.au/.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:19:25 AM by steveo »

FFA

• Pencil Stache
    • Financially Free Australia
« Reply #3056 on: May 05, 2017, 06:26:38 AM »
Hi Steveo, working in 70's sounds crazy but then again a lot of retirees also go crazy when they stop working too....

1. I don't use SMSF so no direct experience but people seem to say esuperfund works well
2. As we've discussed many times, no right or wrong it's a personal preference. For someone in their 70's I could imagine keeping it simple and hands off might be preferable over skimming 0.1-0.2% in the MER..... If risk averse maybe check whether balanced or conservative is the appropriate option? Remember markets are due for a pullback, and you probably don't want them tapping you on the shoulder to explain why their balance just dropped by 10%, if they don't have the risk tolerance for it.
3. Blackrock is the biggest. Vanguard fast catching up. SPDR slowly losing the race. VanEck and Betashares are more niche/smart beta ETF's which it doesn't sound like you're after. If it gives you piece of mind just substitute STW/IOZ for VAS so that it's not all in the Vanguard basket. I think it's a very, very low risk but equally if it doesn't cost much to make the substitution (i.e. starting from scratch), then why not.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3057 on: May 05, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
Thanks FFA. Considering they also have a pension and mum has another $400k in her own Industry super account I think it may be best just to go with the one Vanguard fund. It's also extremely simple.

Another point that I'm only just thinking about is I bet their current Super has all sorts of shares/bonds sitting all over the place. It might be best to leave some of that as it is or more slowly move it all into the Vanguard fund.

Basically maybe it's not all in Vanguard anyway.

MajorTom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3058 on: May 05, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
2. They are pretty risk averse. I think the best option for them is something like the balanced vanguard diversified fund with a fee of .34%.

The fees for the wholesale funds are dropping to 0.29% in July, in case that makes a difference for you. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3059 on: May 05, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
Most accountants used to be able to manage a SMSF until last year. Now they need to be licensed to do so, or to recommend someone else. Your parents would be best to speak to their accountants, and get their recommendations.

As they have so much, I assume that they may need to put some of the money outside super, because one of them will probably have more than $1.6mill in super (particularly since the pension is valued at 16 times its annual amount if it is a DB pension and is separate from the rest of their super). This is a very bad time to be trying to change financial advisors because of the changes and people needing to move money to be within the cap by 1st July! If your father is not working there may be limited options for him to move stuff around since he is over 65.

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3060 on: May 05, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
Steveo:
I've just done with with my parents - they've moved away from their financial advisor - who was charging them almost 1.5% for 'service'. They wanted to keep it simple with low fees so we went the ETF route.

My parents' main worry was not really knowing where their money was invested and seeing these large numbers as line items for fees when they only got a yearly phone call about their finances. They assumed that the advisor had them in some really advanced and complex asset structure. Nope. Basically they were in Vanguard wholesale funds. I showed them exactly what these were onthe Vanguard website and what they cost. They were paying fees to their financial advisor, and fees to the investment house the advisor used who then simply bought Vanguard wholesale funds. They decided to cut out the middle men and buy the same assets directly. So we were able to replicate the holdings they had through their advisor almost exactly with VAS, VGS and VAF.

We sought advice from an independent financial advisor via centrelink (you don't have to be on benefits to see them). She was able to confirm everything we thought and it made the folks happy to get a second opinion.The upshot is, they are saving thousands a year in fees (almost 2.5% lower now), feel far more in control of their finances as they now know what they own and how it all works. Also the Vanguard statement is much easier to read and understand for my dad to do his tax.

I guess the only issue is their concentration in Vanguard. But this is only one of their income streams and they were in Vanguard before via the Wholesale funds through an advisor and secondary investment broker.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #3061 on: May 05, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
As they have so much, I assume that they may need to put some of the money outside super, because one of them will probably have more than $1.6mill in super

The new rules don't prohibit having more than $1.6m in super, rather a tax-free pension account.  Values over that can stay in super in an accumulation account where earnings incur the 15% tax.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:28:06 PM by mjr »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3062 on: May 05, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »
As they have so much, I assume that they may need to put some of the money outside super, because one of them will probably have more than $1.6mill in super

The new rules don't prohibit having more than $1.6m in super, rather a tax-free pension account.  Values over that can stay in super in an allocation account where earnings incur the 15% tax.

Exactly right. There is so much bad advice out there telling people there's a hard cap of $1.6m.

It's still better to be taxed at 15% inside super than at marginal rates outside.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3063 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »

The new rules don't prohibit having more than $1.6m in super, rather a tax-free pension account.  Values over that can stay in super in an allocation account where earnings incur the 15% tax.
Yes, but as their superannuation pension is not taxed, they can earn up to some revolting amount each year ($25,000?) outside super before being taxed at all, so for a group of people, it can be better to have any excess outside super if it isn't too large an amount. Considering just how much Steveo is talking about, I would think his parents would fall into that group.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3064 on: May 06, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »
Heaps of good information here. Dad isn't working. So basically they get taxed 15% for any earnings above the cap amount and outside of Super they get taxed the marginal rates and pension income isn't included.

We can just transfer everything so that it is a self managed super fund rather than a super fund managed by financial advisors. I am pretty sure that they have two super funds each with about the cap in there I assume to maximise the tax benefits. I can just set up another couple of accounts -  say in Super and outside Super where they can put their excess money in.

Todge - I know that their financial advisor has put them into Vanguard funds.  My dad tells me and just shakes his head. Prior to this point I think mum wanted to tell people she had a financial advisor. Interestingly their financial advisor told them to let he children run it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:42:25 AM by steveo »

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3065 on: May 06, 2017, 05:36:49 AM »
Hi guys,

From my reading so far, it sounds like ETFs might be the right choice for me. I'm thinking of investing 50k in VAS and 50k in VGS. However I'm really struggling to understand the potential returns. I'm planning to hold for at least 15 years. If the last 15 yr history repeats, what sort of return can I expect to get on 100k in 15 years, with dividend and FF credits reinvestment and quarterly 5k DCA contributions?

There are FF credits there at play as well and I'm struggling to get my head around everything (I don't think I'd get FF on VGS).

Your thoughts would be much appreciated:).

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3066 on: May 06, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
Realist35 - my advice is to pick an asset allocation and stick to it. You can't predict returns with any certainty but you can have a solid plan and stick to it.

I use ETF's. I use VAS, VGS and VAF. I also have an industry Super account. VAS will give you FF credits but the Australian market is also much less diversified than the entire world market. I think the sanest approach is to put everything into VGS and VAF based on your risk profile but I use VAS because I think there are benefits to VAS such as FF credits and less impact of foreign currency fluctuations.

I have a goal to get too outside of super. For me it is 200k VAS, 100k VAF and 100k VGS and I just invest on that basis when I get 10k saved up. I have some direct Australian shares which I'm not going to sell and I just group that into the VAS allocation.

I think you will probably get real returns of about 5% but I don't really focus on that.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3067 on: May 06, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »
if you google "vanguard long term chart" they publish a chart each year, with long-term asset class returns on it. Typically 8-10% total return based on history. Real returns are lower as steveo said.

Correct, no franking on VGS but you might get some foreign tax credits. If you want to adjust the VAS return for franking roughly, consider the income component approx. 4.5% at average 80% franking level and gross it up (i.e. divide that by 0.7) = 5.1%. So franking is an additional 0.6% approximately.

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3068 on: May 07, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
Realist35 - my advice is to pick an asset allocation and stick to it. You can't predict returns with any certainty but you can have a solid plan and stick to it.

I use ETF's. I use VAS, VGS and VAF. I also have an industry Super account. VAS will give you FF credits but the Australian market is also much less diversified than the entire world market. I think the sanest approach is to put everything into VGS and VAF based on your risk profile but I use VAS because I think there are benefits to VAS such as FF credits and less impact of foreign currency fluctuations.

I have a goal to get too outside of super. For me it is 200k VAS, 100k VAF and 100k VGS and I just invest on that basis when I get 10k saved up. I have some direct Australian shares which I'm not going to sell and I just group that into the VAS allocation.

I think you will probably get real returns of about 5% but I don't really focus on that.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts mate, really appreciate it:)!

A few questions if you don't mind:

1. I'm thinking between 75:25 vs 50:50 VAS:VGS. Which one do you think would make more sense? I'm planning to retire in 15 yrs and live in Europe; not sure whether that would affect the split decision.
2. What are your thoughts on LICS vs etf's? I'd love to find a study comparing performances of the big LICS Vs etfs.
3. If I plan to retire off dividends in Europe, are there any tax implications that I need to be aware of? Do I still pay tax on dividends in australia or just in the country that I move to?

Thanks a lot!

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3069 on: May 07, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
if you google "vanguard long term chart" they publish a chart each year, with long-term asset class returns on it. Typically 8-10% total return based on history. Real returns are lower as steveo said.

Correct, no franking on VGS but you might get some foreign tax credits. If you want to adjust the VAS return for franking roughly, consider the income component approx. 4.5% at average 80% franking level and gross it up (i.e. divide that by 0.7) = 5.1%. So franking is an additional 0.6% approximately.

Thanks mate!

I think I've read VAS dividends are 63% franked. How do I calculate grossed yield in this case?

Also, if I get a LIC that would cover international shares, would I get franking credits for that?

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3070 on: May 07, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »

Thanks a lot for your thoughts mate, really appreciate it:)!

A few questions if you don't mind:

1. I'm thinking between 75:25 vs 50:50 VAS:VGS. Which one do you think would make more sense? I'm planning to retire in 15 yrs and live in Europe; not sure whether that would affect the split decision.
2. What are your thoughts on LICS vs etf's? I'd love to find a study comparing performances of the big LICS Vs etfs.
3. If I plan to retire off dividends in Europe, are there any tax implications that I need to be aware of? Do I still pay tax on dividends in australia or just in the country that I move to?

Thanks a lot!

My opinions in relation to your questions are:-

1. if were going to live in Europe I would definitely do 50:50 however I'd probably just do 100 VGS.
2. I use ETF's. I think LIC's are good especially if you can get them at a below NAV.
3. I honestly don't know however I would assume in the country that you move too.

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3071 on: May 07, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
Thanks mate:).

Would you be elaborate on the first point?

Also do you think LICS involve more risk due to the manager risk?

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3072 on: May 07, 2017, 08:44:10 PM »
Thanks mate:).

Would you be elaborate on the first point?

Also do you think LICS involve more risk due to the manager risk?

I think VGS is basically a better fund compared to VAS. VGS is an international fund. It's going to be much more diversified because of that. The risk to me with VGS if you are living in Australia is mainly due to foreign currency fluctuations. If I was living in Europe I'd think VGS would be safer.

I think LIC's may have a little more risk because they are actively managed however from what I know about the LIC's in Australia they have performed really well and they are low cost options.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3073 on: May 07, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Agree on the comments of the Australian economy being fairly narrow, and international indices providing much broader industry coverage.  They also provide a different currency exposure.  If expecting to spend a lot in AUD, it makes sense to have more domestic exposure.  However, if you are going to retire in Europe, I'd be having a lower than usual Australian exposure.

In terms of risk of ETFs vs LICs, the major LICs are currently trading below NTA (all of MLT, ARG and AFI are, by up to 5%).  This means you are getting exposure to 5% more shares for the same price compared to an index fund.  I don't believe the LICs will under perform the index by 5%, so this provides an extra margin of safety compared to ETFs, all else considered equal.

Note that this is different to saying that the share market is good or bad value at the moment.  However, getting exposure through LICs is better value than ETFs right now. 

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3074 on: May 08, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »
Realist:
Generally speaking, as a 'non resident' for tax purposes, you will be liable for tax on dividends (no tax free threshold either) but capital gains tax exempt on shares.  The ATO website has all the updated info on this - tax treaties also impact how this is applied.

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3075 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
Agree on the comments of the Australian economy being fairly narrow, and international indices providing much broader industry coverage.  They also provide a different currency exposure.  If expecting to spend a lot in AUD, it makes sense to have more domestic exposure.  However, if you are going to retire in Europe, I'd be having a lower than usual Australian exposure.

In terms of risk of ETFs vs LICs, the major LICs are currently trading below NTA (all of MLT, ARG and AFI are, by up to 5%).  This means you are getting exposure to 5% more shares for the same price compared to an index fund.  I don't believe the LICs will under perform the index by 5%, so this provides an extra margin of safety compared to ETFs, all else considered equal.

Note that this is different to saying that the share market is good or bad value at the moment.  However, getting exposure through LICs is better value than ETFs right now.
Thanks a lot:).

What do you think with this approach: Argo (25k), API (25K), 50K VGS. So that's a 100k lump sum and all in one go, now.

From this point on, whenever I have cash on hand I'll buy LICs if they trade at a discount, otherwise I'll buy VAS.

Would this be considered a fairly safe and reasonable approach?

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3076 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Realist:
Generally speaking, as a 'non resident' for tax purposes, you will be liable for tax on dividends (no tax free threshold either) but capital gains tax exempt on shares.  The ATO website has all the updated info on this - tax treaties also impact how this is applied.

Just looked into it a bit further. From the link below, it seems that:

1. If the dividend income is Australian sourced they are tax free when fully franked.
2. If the dividends are unfranked, they are taxed at 30% unless their is a tax treaty with that country so it might be 15%.

Or am I missing something?

https://www.ato.gov.au/forms/you-and-your-shares-2013-14/?page=14

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #3077 on: May 08, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

1. If the dividend income is Australian sourced they are tax free when fully franked.

This isn't what that web page says.  The franked component is tax-free.  Up to 30% can be franked. The unfranked component is subject to withholding tax.

You're looking at a complicated area here.  You really should call the ATO and ask them.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3078 on: May 08, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

What do you think with this approach: Argo (25k), API (25K), 50K VGS. So that's a 100k lump sum and all in one go, now.

From this point on, whenever I have cash on hand I'll buy LICs if they trade at a discount, otherwise I'll buy VAS.

I think so. The only question is how much to you have in Australia market compared to the international market.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3079 on: May 08, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »

This isn't what that web page says.  The franked component is tax-free.  Up to 30% can be franked. The unfranked component is subject to withholding tax.

You're looking at a complicated area here.  You really should call the ATO and ask them.
I think that's right, fully franked div's, you just leave them off your tax return as a non-resident. Unfranked div's will have withholding tax deducted if you declare you TFN status as non-resident. (I was a non-resident for many years so know this first hand)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3080 on: May 08, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »

I think so. The only question is how much to you have in Australia market compared to the international market.

Presume you mean 25% AFI, not 25% API.  API is a good company (I hold some shares in it), but a diversified LIC it is not.  Assuming 25% ARG, 25% AFI and 50% VGS, that seems like a pretty sensible buy and hold forever portfolio to me.  We can all argue about the right domestic/international mix, but 50/50 seems like a good enough starting point to me.

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3081 on: May 08, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
Whatever you choose 70/30 50/50, stick to it. This gives a pretty good summation of why: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-bogles-10-rules-of-investing/

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3082 on: May 09, 2017, 02:07:02 AM »

Presume you mean 25% AFI, not 25% API.  API is a good company (I hold some shares in it), but a diversified LIC it is not.  Assuming 25% ARG, 25% AFI and 50% VGS, that seems like a pretty sensible buy and hold forever portfolio to me.  We can all argue about the right domestic/international mix, but 50/50 seems like a good enough starting point to me.

I've been reading more over the last couple of days and I'm thinking of even going all in Oz market. Maybe holding long term AFI, ARG, MLT, BKI, WHF. The idea is to own all of them and try buying them when they are trading at discount. I'm favoring to go all Australian due to fully franked dividends. If I reinvest them this should be a big advantage over going for VAS (only 70-80% franked) and VGS (not franked). What are your thoughts?

The only reason I would go for VAS over LICs is to eliminate the key person risk. How big do you think this risk is with the above mentioned 5 LICs?

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3083 on: May 09, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
Whatever you choose 70/30 50/50, stick to it. This gives a pretty good summation of why: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-bogles-10-rules-of-investing/
That's such an excellent read! Really enjoyed it. My options are slowly starting to become more clear.

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3084 on: May 09, 2017, 05:43:41 AM »
Yep, on the face of it , it's pretty simple - diversify and keep costs low. The only concern I have is your plan to live in Europe in 15 years.  If that's 100% certain then going 'all in' to the Oz market be a little constraining.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3085 on: May 09, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
I don't see much key man risk in the traditional LIC's. Maybe of these 5, I rate Frank Gooch at MLT the highest and if he disappeared it might leave a gap. The risks I see are - NTA discounts (even if you're buying at a discount, it could get bigger), concentration risk. These LIC's are even heavier in the banks than the index itself. There are so many other products now both ETF's and LIC's that help you diversify, some examples I've posted about and hold include MVW, EX20, MVS (ETF's) and PIC. I also hold ARG of the five traditional LIC's mentioned. There is nothing wrong with them at all, especially at NTA discounts, but I'd just pick one or two instead of all five, and then add some other products that improve the diversification of your underlying investment and avoid having all your eggs in the traditional LIC basket (unlikely but just in case).

I don't think you can look at the franking of VAS vs traditional LIC's in isolation. Even more so as a driver to decide your asset allocation. You need to think about total returns - capital, income, tax. Not just one aspect of tax. The key reason to invest globally is access to a whole raft of companies like Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, etc that you have no hope of accessing in the Australian market which is 2-3% of global equities. The Oz market is very small and very concentrated. Historically it has held up very well versus global indices but that may not be the case forever, so these are the factors I'd be thinking about

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3086 on: May 09, 2017, 06:23:03 AM »
I don't see much key man risk in the traditional LIC's. Maybe of these 5, I rate Frank Gooch at MLT the highest and if he disappeared it might leave a gap. The risks I see are - NTA discounts (even if you're buying at a discount, it could get bigger), concentration risk. These LIC's are even heavier in the banks than the index itself. There are so many other products now both ETF's and LIC's that help you diversify, some examples I've posted about and hold include MVW, EX20, MVS (ETF's) and PIC. I also hold ARG of the five traditional LIC's mentioned. There is nothing wrong with them at all, especially at NTA discounts, but I'd just pick one or two instead of all five, and then add some other products that improve the diversification of your underlying investment and avoid having all your eggs in the traditional LIC basket (unlikely but just in case).

I don't think you can look at the franking of VAS vs traditional LIC's in isolation. Even more so as a driver to decide your asset allocation. You need to think about total returns - capital, income, tax. Not just one aspect of tax. The key reason to invest globally is access to a whole raft of companies like Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, etc that you have no hope of accessing in the Australian market which is 2-3% of global equities. The Oz market is very small and very concentrated. Historically it has held up very well versus global indices but that may not be the case forever, so these are the factors I'd be thinking about
What do you think about reversion to the mean theory? Australian shares (ASX200 All Ordinaries) has had 9.1% return over the last 30 years. That`s very good.

A silly question. Can a LIC go bust/bankrupt and all their shareholders lose money? Can that happen to an ETF (such as Vanguard)?

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3087 on: May 09, 2017, 06:27:00 AM »
Yep, on the face of it , it's pretty simple - diversify and keep costs low. The only concern I have is your plan to live in Europe in 15 years.  If that's 100% certain then going 'all in' to the Oz market be a little constraining.
Constraining as in a currency risk?

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3088 on: May 09, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »
Yes, constrained in terms of Currency risk, taxation, diversification.

Currency - Not just FOREX rates but also the costs of moving money internationally.

Taxation - What are the tax rules where you plan on living - some european countries have high (relative) tax, also the current OZ rules may change as they give a pretty good deal to overseas investors - especially the CGT aspect.

Diversification - The companies you mention ARG, AFI MLT etc are pretty concentrated in the Oz market.

I just don't see why you'd want to be neck deep in Oz if you plan on living in Europe.

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3089 on: May 09, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
Yes, constrained in terms of Currency risk, taxation, diversification.

Currency - Not just FOREX rates but also the costs of moving money internationally.

Taxation - What are the tax rules where you plan on living - some european countries have high (relative) tax, also the current OZ rules may change as they give a pretty good deal to overseas investors - especially the CGT aspect.

Diversification - The companies you mention ARG, AFI MLT etc are pretty concentrated in the Oz market.

I just don't see why you'd want to be neck deep in Oz if you plan on living in Europe.
Well my reasons for going all in Oz are:

1. Fully franked dividends and I wouldnt pay any tax on them in Australia. Also I would only pay 9% tax in my home country. That sounds pretty good:),
2. Second reason - reversion to the mean. ASX All Ordinaries had 9.1% growth over the last 30 years (see the link below). If reversion to the mean theory makes any sense (and John Bogle believes in it from my memory), 9.1% is what we can expect in the long run.
http://www.fidelity.com.au/FidelityP2/index.cfm?LinkServID=B9210BF9-C60F-E304-B34EDDAC8FD13D52

What are your thoughts?

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3090 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »

What do you think about reversion to the mean theory? Australian shares (ASX200 All Ordinaries) has had 9.1% return over the last 30 years. That`s very good.

A silly question. Can a LIC go bust/bankrupt and all their shareholders lose money? Can that happen to an ETF (such as Vanguard)?
I generally agree with reversion to the mean, but trying to predict the timing is the difficult part. Most experts (including vanguard) are saying expect much lower returns over the next 30 years because we start at higher valuations (e.g. P/E) and low interest rates.

Not a silly question at all. Best always to be skeptical of any investment. Yes anything's possible. Check on any gearing/leverage being used in the investment mandate. Funds investing in microcaps or other illiquid markets may have to suspend redemptions for periods. I avoid synthetic ETF's where they use options or other derivatives, you always want the ETF to be holding the underlying assets directly, i.e. "replication of the index". There's always a risk of fraud/rogue trading which I think is probably less at a Vanguard or a traditional LIC where there is less of a performance fee / bonus incentive. I think these risks a generally very low if you stick to mainstream LIC/ETF's. But it wouldn't heard to spread your investments around a little just to limit the risk. Very low probability but very high consequence if it were to ever happen!

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3091 on: May 10, 2017, 04:44:19 AM »

I generally agree with reversion to the mean, but trying to predict the timing is the difficult part. Most experts (including vanguard) are saying expect much lower returns over the next 30 years because we start at higher valuations (e.g. P/E) and low interest rates.

Not a silly question at all. Best always to be skeptical of any investment. Yes anything's possible. Check on any gearing/leverage being used in the investment mandate. Funds investing in microcaps or other illiquid markets may have to suspend redemptions for periods. I avoid synthetic ETF's where they use options or other derivatives, you always want the ETF to be holding the underlying assets directly, i.e. "replication of the index". There's always a risk of fraud/rogue trading which I think is probably less at a Vanguard or a traditional LIC where there is less of a performance fee / bonus incentive. I think these risks a generally very low if you stick to mainstream LIC/ETF's. But it wouldn't heard to spread your investments around a little just to limit the risk. Very low probability but very high consequence if it were to ever happen!
Thank a lot for such a knowledgeable reply:).

If we say index funds (such as VAS or VGS) will have an average accumulation growth of 5% over the next 15 years, would that be an underestimate or overestimate in your opinion? I am creating a spreadsheet with some projections of our portfolio and years to retirement. It includes both properties and shares, so I have assumed 5% capital growth for IPs and 5% accumulation growth (with dividends reinvested) for shares.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3092 on: May 10, 2017, 05:24:42 AM »
I think 5% total return for VAS/VGS is a reasonable/safe assumption for long-term. Historical has been more like 8-10%. Given the current high levels, we should expect less, maybe 6-8%, so I'd say 5% is on the underestimate side. If you expect any less than that it would not make sense to invest in shares, i.e. the risk is not warranted. However it's never a straight line so 5% p.a. over 15-20 years could see any given year up or down 20% (or 50% in a real market meltdown). These kind of numbers can misrepresent the volatility and people who don't appreciate that will freak out and sell at the bottoms. No comment on IP's as it really depends a lot on the IP, location etc.

Realist35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3093 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »
I think 5% total return for VAS/VGS is a reasonable/safe assumption for long-term. Historical has been more like 8-10%. Given the current high levels, we should expect less, maybe 6-8%, so I'd say 5% is on the underestimate side. If you expect any less than that it would not make sense to invest in shares, i.e. the risk is not warranted. However it's never a straight line so 5% p.a. over 15-20 years could see any given year up or down 20% (or 50% in a real market meltdown). These kind of numbers can misrepresent the volatility and people who don't appreciate that will freak out and sell at the bottoms. No comment on IP's as it really depends a lot on the IP, location etc.
Cool, I'll plug in 6% in my spreadsheet, that will give me earlier retirement haha

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3094 on: May 11, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I really don't see how IPs in any Oz cap city can have cap gains of 5% pa over the next 15-30 years. They are already pretty unaffordable.

Maybe 3%+ net rental yield.

Really, what is the driver for growth beyond pure speculation?

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3095 on: May 11, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
I really don't see how IPs in any Oz cap city can have cap gains of 5% pa over the next 15-30 years. They are already pretty unaffordable.

Maybe 3%+ net rental yield.

Really, what is the driver for growth beyond pure speculation?

Property fans say continued under supply driven mainly by population growth through immigration will keep growth going. 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3096 on: May 11, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »
Well, I guess we will have to wait and see as I certainly don't have a crystal ball.

mpcharles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3097 on: May 12, 2017, 04:31:52 AM »
Hey guys. My first ETF purchase, I currently have 30k$ to invest. I want an ETF prefer usa/world where I can get paid dividends and have them auto reinvested or drp. Any suggestions? I use a online broking.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #3098 on: May 12, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
VGS

JJ

• Stubble
    • A Philosopher and A Businessman
« Reply #3099 on: May 14, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »
Do you think it's time to ask for a forum rather than a thread? 63 pages is a lot to wade through...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!