Author Topic: 401k plan (John Hancock) adds 1% annual fee to Vanguard index funds  (Read 3497 times)

OldandGrumpy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
After a long discussion of 401k plan investment options we instructed our plan designated broker to add a few Vanguard Index funds to our plan offering.

A week later, our broker presented a new lineup of plan investment options

The Vanguard Index funds were offered at an expense ratio of 1.1%

I asked why the fee was at 1.1% when the underlying fund cost was .1%? - the response was "that is the shared cost to operate the fund"

At this point I would be better off to roll over my 401k money out of my employer plan into an IRA / Vanguard Targeted fund.

Thoughts on this?   

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 401k plan (John Hancock) adds 1% annual fee to Vanguard index funds
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
After a long discussion of 401k plan investment options we instructed our plan designated broker to add a few Vanguard Index funds to our plan offering.

I asked why the fee was at 1.1% when the underlying fund cost was .1%? - the response was "that is the shared cost to operate the fund"

At this point I would be better off to roll over my 401k money out of my employer plan into an IRA / Vanguard Targeted fund.

Thoughts on this?   

I don't think you can do this if you are still employed by the company sponsoring the 401k.

If you have the leverage at your company to get plan changes happening, why not lobby to have the vendor changed to Vanguard.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »

Thoughts on this?   

I don't think you can do this if you are still employed by the company sponsoring the 401k.

If you have the leverage at your company to get plan changes happening, why not lobby to have the vendor changed to Vanguard.

Actually, it would be easier to do if you aren't employed there anymore.  If you are still employed, you need to check if the plan allows in-service rollovers.  There are commonly age limits as well as limits on the percentage you can withdraw.

There's no doubt that cost is very high.  How many people are there in this plan?  My employer, a very large company, is with Fidelity and the plan administration fee is .11%.  Our prior HSA provider (now also Fidelity) charged .5% per year.  But in the end, even a 1% drag can be worth a very generous company contribution / match.  You should at least keep that.

OldandGrumpy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
I am over 59.5 years old - the plan allows withdrawals without termination.

So I am able to withdraw my 401k funds

John Hancock has done a great job overall, so we don't want to change carriers. - but the added cost without added benefit just irritates me.

We have over 200 people in the plan.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
Well, then, why wouldn't you?  Assuming you have a good 'stache in there, there is 1% at stake (or .25% per quarter) being wasted not moving to Vanguard.

Honestly, I am itching to do so just for my .11%.  The only thing holding me back, besides age (Not old enough--I would have to withdraw--all or nothing) is wanting to do back door Roths with no tax while I am working.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
That's pretty normal. Nationwide charged us 75 bps wrap unless they received a 12b1 kickback.

Retirement plans are way more regulated than IRA's, taht's why they cost more.

Vanguard isn't going to touch a plan so small.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
I'd start mumbling something about fiduciary responsibility and see if that gets them to change their tune.

HeartlandBrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 04:25:11 AM »
I am over 59.5 years old - the plan allows withdrawals without termination.

So I am able to withdraw my 401k funds

John Hancock has done a great job overall, so we don't want to change carriers. - but the added cost without added benefit just irritates me.

We have over 200 people in the plan.

This is a perfect example of how the financial industry is designed to transfer wealth from investors to itself.  Over a period of 30 years 1% annual fees reduce portfolios by 20% compared to a portfolio with a 0.25% annual fee.  Yes, that's right.  The long term plan is to take 20% of your wealth for no benfit to you.  That irritates me too.  So much in fact that I'd actually take action to move my money to a much lower fee account.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 05:17:20 AM »
My last employer had a plan that added 1.5%.  The two Vanguard funds available were not the best ones, either.  You are lucky you can take it out while still employed.  I didn't have that option.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
I would send a letter to ERISA Enforcement at the Department of Labor requesting to file a complaint against your 401k provider

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/about-ebsa/our-activities/enforcement/erisa

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
My 401k is similar. Basic US Stock index fund has an ER around 1.75%. Target date funds are over 2%. Active managed funds are in the 2.5% range.

I still max my 401k and drop everything into the US index since it is the lowest ER. Pretty aweful, but the tax savings still make it worthwhile.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »

Actually you might be surprised by how small a plan Vanguard will support.

"For one-participant plans, annual filing of Form 5500 is required once the plan's assets reach $250,000 or you terminate the plan. We'll provide you with information each year to help you complete the form."
https://investor.vanguard.com/small-business-retirement-plans/individual-solo-401k

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

Actually you might be surprised by how small a plan Vanguard will support.

"For one-participant plans, annual filing of Form 5500 is required once the plan's assets reach $250,000 or you terminate the plan. We'll provide you with information each year to help you complete the form."
https://investor.vanguard.com/small-business-retirement-plans/individual-solo-401k

Yeah...no.

That's an individual 401(k).

That's completely different.

Actual company 401(k)'s, they won't touch. They refer you to Ascensus.

OldandGrumpy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
Opening poster here

It occurred to me this morning

The 1.35% fee that John Hancock charges on my money in my employer's 401k plan - cost a lot more than any other line item in my monthly budget.

Employees don't see the direct impact of fees because the cost are buried as a reduction of returns.

If I wrote a monthly check to cover the John Hancock fees - I would have moved money to Vangurd a long time ago.

It is past time to "get off of my butt" and move my money to Vanguard.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
That's absurd.  I'm sure they have other fees as well.  My experience with JH was that they inflated the ER of all funds in addition to charging an absurd amount "off the top" just to manage the plan in the first place. Overall it was over 2% for me, which the JH snake rep deemed totally reasonable. If your plan allows you to roll over to an IRA you should absolutely do it as frequently as they allow.  This will save you money.  And also, fuck john hancock.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 01:35:21 PM »
That's absurd.  I'm sure they have other fees as well.  My experience with JH was that they inflated the ER of all funds in addition to charging an absurd amount "off the top" just to manage the plan in the first place. Overall it was over 2% for me, which the JH snake rep deemed totally reasonable. If your plan allows you to roll over to an IRA you should absolutely do it as frequently as they allow.  This will save you money.  And also, fuck john hancock.

John Oliver's roast of the financial industry a couple years ago zeroed in on John Hancock because it turned out that was the company managing the 401K plan for his employees.  After peeling back several layers of fees nobody was tracking, Oliver/HBO dropped them and wrote the employees a check for the fees.