Author Topic: Aged 68. Already retired. Live in the UK. Wondering where to invest?  (Read 1141 times)

BrandonP

• Stubble
Just looking for some advise on where to invest. I have been retired for a few years. I do have a decent amount of money, but at my age, wondering if stocks and shares are the best place. Or should I focus more on bonds? And do I go with Vanguard in the UK? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you!

BrandonP

• Stubble
Re: Aged 68. Already retired. Live in the UK. Wondering where to invest?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 04:06:37 AM »
Also, there is the potential of moving soon. Probably downsizing the home.

Andy R

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 05:24:47 AM »
Money that is earmarked for something specific should not be in the stock market.

Any other money you have, should be invested according to an asset allocation (AA) based on your ability, willingness, and need to take risk. You are dealing with money that as a retiree you can't recover if you screw up, so you need to get your AA right before investing.

Generally at your age, something in the range of 40% equities and 60% bonds is where you might start.

I would suggest either
1. Asking on boggheads; and/or
2. Ask Vanguard. They have an advisory part of the company and I think they charge about 0.3% which is a very fair price.

I personally found the bogleheads very good and after enough reading, I think most people can do it themselves by figuring out a decent approximate AA and just using one of the Vanguard all-in-one funds that suit your AA and then there is very little for you to do after that.

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
Thank you Andy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!