Author Topic: UPDATE: Problem Solved [$6,000 a year Limit for IRA CDs?]  (Read 399 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
UPDATE: Problem Solved [$6,000 a year Limit for IRA CDs?]
« on: March 15, 2023, 10:44:27 PM »
I want to rebalance my IRA with some CD's but I just read an article that said CDs in a IRA are limited to $6,000.  But I don't understand if they mean Just for new money contributions - or if I can just rebalance what I already have in the account .  It seems really weird if I'm not allowed to buy more than $6000 of CDs a year!  I want to replace my bond fund with brokered CDs inside my Ira.  I'm not going to add or take away any money from the IRA itself.
https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/retirement/difference-ira-cds-regular-cds-274954
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:11:24 PM by TodayOhBoy »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: $6,000 a year Limit for IRA CDs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:31:19 AM »
You can contribute $6,500 into an IRA this year ($7,500 if you are age 50 or older).

Within your IRA you can hold however much in CDs as you wish, there is no cap.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 11:37:20 AM »
You can contribute $6,500 into an IRA this year ($7,500 if you are age 50 or older).

I actually don't want to contribute anything - I just want to shift what's inside of it already.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 11:51:22 AM »

I actually don't want to contribute anything - I just want to shift what's inside of it already.
Then shift away!  There are no restrictions on how of a certain asset you can hold within your IRA 'bucket'.  The article you read was most likely talking about how much you could contribute in a given calendar year, and was most likely written between 2019 and 2022 (the years when the contribution limit was $6,000).

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 12:04:21 PM »

Then shift away!  There are no restrictions on how of a certain asset you can hold within your IRA 'bucket'.  The article you read was most likely talking about how much you could contribute in a given calendar year, and was most likely written between 2019 and 2022 (the years when the contribution limit was $6,000).

That's what I assumed until I read two articles that made me question that.  Even if I was contributing new money (which I'm not) it still seems weird the govt wouldn't let people put more than $6,000 of new money into an IRA.  Another law that makes no sense.