Author Topic: Eat ALL the food in your house  (Read 155204 times)

waynesmate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eat ALL the food in your house
« Reply #500 on: June 03, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
Had the following leftover still from my party: a big bag of leftover chopped red onions, a bunch of avocados, a few tomatos, a few expensive! limes, and a tupperware of chopped garlic.  [ETA: And a bag of about a pound of cheddar cheese I had sliced and some cilantro.]

You could also make tuna-avocado salad. Like tuna salad but with avocado to bind it together. I make mine with lots of veggies, usually a couple different color bell peppers in addition to the carrot and celery. I'll use lemon or lime juice, cilantro or parsley. Very adaptable.

It's filling and really healthy and everyone I've made it for loved it. I like it on hearty bread, maybe with some cucumber and tomato slices if they're around.
Some people like it in a quesadilla as well ;)

http://www.tablespoon.com/posts/creamy-avocado-tuna-salad/2022b3f5-ec71-437d-a75c-bc84057dd05d

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: June 03, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
Had the following leftover still from my party: a big bag of leftover chopped red onions, a bunch of avocados, a few tomatos, a few expensive! limes, and a tupperware of chopped garlic.  [ETA: And a bag of about a pound of cheddar cheese I had sliced and some cilantro.]

You could also make tuna-avocado salad. Like tuna salad but with avocado to bind it together.

Ahhh!  Thanks for the idea, but...I hate tuna.  I absolutely, completely loath the smell of it (much less getting close enough to eat it) such that I ban family members and friends eating it near me.  (More accurately, I refuse to go to my husband's families favorite dinner with his family when they visit from out of town because *ALL* his brother & sister will order there is tuna.  His mom & he will at least decline to order it if I am present.)  It has nauseous inducing qualities for me, which is why working in an open office is sometimes hard, because so many people bring it in for lunch. 

waynesmate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #502 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Fair enough. There's always:
-Avocado margaritas.
-Grilled cheese with guacamole:

www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/grilled-cheese-guacamole-recipe.html?ref=search

-Eggs baked in avocado:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/eggs-baked-in-avocado-recipe.html?ref=search

-Salad-stuffed avocados (this is just to show the idea, but you can use whatever you have for the protein/salad)

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2012/05/recipe-caribbean-jerk-chicken-mango-stuffed-avocados.html

--------------

I need some recommendations. I have 40 or so pounds of carrots. I would like to store some long-term, although we live in a very wet and humid environment.
Otherwise, I would like to preserve them, or use them in things I can freeze, etc.
Unfortunately I moved a while back and don't have a single Mason jar to my name and they are very expensive here ($6+ each)

Ideas?

Definitely went a bit overboard on the bulk buying ;)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #503 on: June 03, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
My hubby recently came home with a huge sack of carrots :) I shredded them (super easy if you have a food processor) and portioned them out into 1.5 cup servings - Most muffin recipes I found online are about 1.5 cups. I have been taking them out as needed and has been working pretty good.

I also make "freezer packs" of raw veggies - usually carrots, cilantro, bok choy, cabbage, bean sprouts and any Asian greens I can get. I usually add them to soups and sitr-fries right from frozen. They make a huge difference in the quality of our meals - but we live where it is really hard to find good fresh produce.

waynesmate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #504 on: June 03, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
My hubby recently came home with a huge sack of carrots :) I shredded them (super easy if you have a food processor) and portioned them out into 1.5 cup servings - Most muffin recipes I found online are about 1.5 cups. I have been taking them out as needed and has been working pretty good.

Good thinking! I make soup the most, so I might chop a bunch of them and freeze them for that.

Also - looking at carrot risotto recipes:

The simpler one (uses 6 carrots):

http://www.marthastewart.com/316250/parmesan-carrot-risotto

The more fancypants one (uses like 12 carrots)

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28366-sweet-carrot-risotto

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #505 on: June 03, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Had the following leftover still from my party: a big bag of leftover chopped red onions, a bunch of avocados, a few tomatos, a few expensive! limes, and a tupperware of chopped garlic.

Erica was a great post of freezing Guacamole. I have tried it and it is great! http://www.nwedible.com/2014/03/make-freeze-guacamole.html

You sir, are evil.

I've spent way too much time at work today reading that blog, damn you!

Can't do avocado milkshakes though, sorry.  (Also, don't tend to have milk often in the house.)

Thank you both!

So, uh....that frozen guac? I ate a BAG of it in a day by myself. That's like 2 avocados worth of guac. I was putting it on scrambled eggs like I was frosting a damned cake. And then when I ran out of eggs, I just used a spoon. I have a guac problem. Gotta go find more cheap avocados.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #506 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
Duuuuuuuuuuuuudes! I just made a really good red cabbage dish using a some of the star anise that's been waiting patiently in my spice drawer. It's so good I had to come here and share:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5052/chinese-braised-red-cabbage

It's a really nice change of pace from the typical vinegary (okay, this one has vinegar still), maybe appley, red cabbage dish I'm used to seeing recipes for.

The recipe says it goes well with Christmas meats, which I can definitely imagine, but I'm just eating it as my main dish with a side of rice.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: June 29, 2014, 11:54:54 PM »
Rise, old thread, rise!

I've been doing really well eating amazing meals from my CSA box and pantry. Actually I haven't bought any groceries in 19 days! I get my CSA box every Tuesday, so there's no shortage of fresh yummies. I've simply been making meals around what I already have on hand. I might need to go shopping soon, though, because I'm out of butter and milk and adore baking.

I'm still failing to find uses for Thai green curry paste that don't involve coconut milk or meat. It's really hard to see using it with the vegetables I get. Or I'm just not creative enough.

Also... umm... I *may* have acquired a bag of oohhhhhh 40-50 bulbs of garlic. Agghhh!!! That's a lot of garlic! How long will it last? They're dried, so I'm looking at at least 3-4 months, ya? I hope?

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »
Dried garlic lasts pretty much forever, esp if they're in whole bulbs. 

Sometimes I crush and freeze the cloves in cubes, so they're ready for use whenever.  I'm a little bit of a garlic addict, and use it in pretty much everything. Sauteeing veggies, roasted and smeared on bread, in soups, etc.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
Dried garlic lasts pretty much forever, esp if they're in whole bulbs. 

Sometimes I crush and freeze the cloves in cubes, so they're ready for use whenever.  I'm a little bit of a garlic addict, and use it in pretty much everything. Sauteeing veggies, roasted and smeared on bread, in soups, etc.
I'm also a garlic addict!  I use garlic in EVERYTHING!  Eggs, pizza, pasta...yum!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks for reviving the thread Nikki!

Ideas for green curry paste: http://www.thekitchn.com/5-unexpected-dishes-to-add-curry-paste-183652 I think making some green curry roasted potatoes would be tasty!

We have been slowly plugging away. Used up a box of potato pancake mix we forgot we had (and originally just bought to see how they were vs homemade) Not bad...we used up the various bits of fat we had to cook them in so they all tasted quite different and tasty - chicken fat, duck fat and bison sausage fat.  Got rid of quite a few containers from the fridge.

Also made double stuffed potatoes using lots of leftover bits from the fridge which will feed us lunches for the rest of the week.

I have been selling a lot of our extra bulk spices on our local buy and sell page and because none of these spices are easily to be had in our area, I'm making a profit :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Did up a ton of dried chickpeas in the crockpot yesterday and made a chickpea salad for lunch. Will freeze the rest to make multiple batches of hummus. Still have a boatload of chickpeas left, but hey, its a start!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
We talked about making hummus with chickpea flour a while back, and I finally did it. Great! Super easy, and now I've got all the hummus I could want. And I want a lot. :)

Unfortunately, now that I have this awesome use for chickpea flour, I have to figure out how to buy some more. We've moved, and I don't have my non-super-market-food sources nailed down yet.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #513 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »
I posted about this somewhere up the thread, but I finally turned it into a post with a picture and measurements and everything. This Thai Cabbage Salad is how I am using all red curry paste from now on. It's so easy and delicious and the perfect hot-weather fast meal. Oh, and cheap. :) http://www.nwedible.com/2014/06/thai-red-curry-cabbage-salad.html

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
I posted about this somewhere up the thread, but I finally turned it into a post with a picture and measurements and everything. This Thai Cabbage Salad is how I am using all red curry paste from now on. It's so easy and delicious and the perfect hot-weather fast meal. Oh, and cheap. :) http://www.nwedible.com/2014/06/thai-red-curry-cabbage-salad.html

I just so happen to have a cabbage, too. Brilliant!

Curry paste + oil + veggies = roasted goodies is also something I haven't tried to execute. I have some potatoes!

Yay--plans.

BikerSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #515 on: July 03, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
My doggy and I would like to join this challenge.  I went through the pantry and we have lots or pasta, quinoa, fancy flours and other yummy things just dying to be cooked up.  Oh and I also found five different types of dog treats all in unopened bags. :-)

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #516 on: July 06, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »
I want to join this challenge too!! Today I printed and filled out a pantry and freezer list.  It is amazing to see what stuff I have on hand.  I found 4 cans of pumpkin and made pumpkin bread today.  I used chocolate chips that we had too.  We didn't have eggs, so I found a vegan recipe.  Turned out so moist and flavorful!!

MeghanD82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:56 PM »
I've been working on this challenge for a while and am down to less than a week's worth of food to get through. It is so tempting to go to the grocery store and get new stuff, but I am holding on! Very excited

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
^^Vegan recipe is a great idea and I will borrow it from you the next time I am out of milk or eggs!

I'm back in the challenge again for the rest of this month and probably most of August.  My pantry is busting at the seems again, complete with a 20 pound bag of rice, and who know what is in the back of my freezer?  Also, my garden is starting to yield fresh vegetables, so I can combine those with what I have inside the house for some tasty and creative meals.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
While I am not purposely trying to eat up all the food in my house... I did cut down the Food Budget, for a few months, to pay off a certain debt quicker.

Therefore, I am trying not to make more trips than absolutely necessary to the grocery store. So... the enchiladas my friend sent me home with... I've been eating that for dinner 3 nights straight. haha. And I made a big pot of rice with roasted tomatoes and diced onions. I've been throwing the rice as a side dish to the enchiladas and using it in breakfast burritos. Oh, earlier in the week, I made a frittata for dinner. I think unless I want to eat Captain Crunch as my meals tomorrow, I'm going to need to hit the grocery store. I am missing my Veggies.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:34 AM »
I'm going to join this.  The only exception I'll allow is produce, I must have my produce, which is fairly cheap.  I might also allow almond milk since it makes cream of wheat and oatmeal so tasty.

Everything else I seem to have in great quantity: pasta (tons of pasta), brown rice, white rice, black beans, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, frozen veggies, oatmeal, shredded wheat cereal.  I can safely stop buying these things and get through my stock.

So I think I'll hold off on spending money for food except for produce and almond milk.  Mostly cauliflower for aloo gobi and bananas for my oatmeal every week.  Maybe also I'll allow orange juice or grapefruit juice.

Should save me lots of $.  :)

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »
I keep getting this goal all mixed up so I think it is to eat ALL the food at Costco.  Dang.

DH is home now and we went to Costco yesterday.  We make a terrible team.  When we're together, we are the Spendy McSpendersons.  We spent...I'm ashamed to even say it...$681.  $110 of that was to renew our membership, the rest was on groceries and general household items (toothpaste, etc.).

I am joking about this, but I was horrified.  The good news is that it spurred us to do an inventory of the pantry (upstairs and down), the freezer (upstairs and down), and the fridge.  Said inventory is hanging on the fridge.  I have left notes for the nanny about food items to use up for breakfasts and lunches, as well as dinner ideas for myself.

No excuses.

BikerSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
My doggy and I would like to join this challenge.  I went through the pantry and we have lots or pasta, quinoa, fancy flours and other yummy things just dying to be cooked up.  Oh and I also found five different types of dog treats all in unopened bags. :-)

I've been slow to get going, but I finally did use some of my pantry food today.  I made these cookies:  http://www.addictedtoveggies.com/2011/10/coconut-lemon-meltaways.html  I did have to buy a lemon, but thanks to (because of) my pre-mustaschian spending, I had everything else that I needed.  The dog is also working through a bag of Zukes that she received as a birthday present.   Tomorrow I plan on making an almond milk smoothie with some frozen fruit and a banana.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #523 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
I keep getting this goal all mixed up so I think it is to eat ALL the food at Costco.  Dang.

DH is home now and we went to Costco yesterday.  We make a terrible team.  When we're together, we are the Spendy McSpendersons.  We spent...I'm ashamed to even say it...$681.  $110 of that was to renew our membership, the rest was on groceries and general household items (toothpaste, etc.).

Haha! I like how you minimized the total. Gotta love Costco but I don't go for that very reason, the total.

I'm so freaking proud of myself this month. I have:

• brought my own coffee to work (No buy)
  • ate breakfast at home or brought it to work (no buy)
  • have brought my lunch in everyday
  • no fast food

and the daughter and I started eating from the Whole 30 grocery list . I bought a bunch of the items on the list and the daughter makes the decisions for dinner meals.

And eating home-cooked meals is so delish!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »

and the daughter and I started eating from the Whole 30 grocery list .

You rock!  A neighbor and I have tried the Whole 30 several times.  Unfortunately, it's more like a Whole7, at best. :\

Still working my way through my pantry.  I've been really lax in the last few months, and have been eating out and purchasing unnecessary groceries.  Which is silly, since I can make tastier and healthier food at home.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #525 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
Updates? How is everyone doing?

Still plugging away, we are looking at the possibility of having to move to a different town, so have renewed our desire to eat down our pantry, specifically our freezer.  I created a list and have been faithfully consulting it and checking things off (this is big for me!)

I brought 3 containers of bone broth to a friend who has been sick and not able to eat solids which cleared out some room (although I have 6 chickens to go through so there will be more)

I used up a roast that I chopped into steaks and made some ground beef out of. Still trying to figure out the best way to use this cut of meat ( top round or maybe eye, I didn't label it as well as I should of) I did make jerky out of one of them and it was pretty tasty.

Have been using up all my random assorted berries in smoothies, stewing rhubarb (went from 40 lbs to only a couple of bags!)

Used my last couple of packages of ground lamb and had fiends over for some BBQ last weekend.

In the process of trying to use up some coconut flour that is a tough one!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
I am going to be in the mode of eating everything in the freezer.  In about six weeks we're getting a lamb and a beef quarter, so we'll need all the room we can get.

Also have way too many condiments cluttering up the fridge.  Most of them are homemade, but they're still clutter and it's a PITA to see what's in there.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: July 24, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »
My fridge condiment shelves have wiggle room now! I finished off some mystery Cambodian chilies and olives during a mass-enchilada-making party. Still have the green curry paste, which I have eaten some on potatoes (thanks for that suggestion). And some adobo paste, mustard that's been expired MONTHS (separated and everything--I don't know why I still use it sometimes), and Worcestershire sauce. Various things in the pantry.

I'll be in another country for three weeks next month, so I paused my CSA subscription. I have a week to eat all of the fresh stuff, which is totally doable.

And then when I get back I'll be moving to a larger apartment that actually has a standard size fridge and freezer! I think the freezer is about the size of my current fridge. I'll able to freeze more things, which will be awesome for convenience meals. It'll feel so weird after having small fridges for the past two years.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »
The texture of my honey is off.  I'm going to 'treat' it (http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/how-to-decrystallize-honey-and-other-honey-tips.html) and hope for the best.  Also, am I the only barbarian storing my honey in a plastic container?  I didn't realize that glass was superior for honey storage. 

Nikki, I am envious of your green curry paste.  Curry paste never lasts in my apartment.

Our pantry has mostly been cleaned out.  I have a few lingering spices that I bought for a single recipe and haven't used.  Last night, I went through our freezer.  I had a lone frozen quesadilla (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/02/hearty-black-bean-quesadillas/) made with a homemade tortilla.  My husband ate a tortellini bowl he bought at TJ's a year ago.  I'm defrosting homemade marinara sauce (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-marinara/) to have with beef ravioli for dinner tonight. 

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #529 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
We're doing pretty well.
Ate up all the tasty stuff first and now have some weirdos lingering:
-a freaking 5lb bag of frozen green beans that we are sllllloooooowwwwllly consuming
-9 boxes of jello, which I don't remember buying and don't know what to do with (other than make jello, which we don't really like the taste of...)
-canned salmon. You guys, what were we THINKING when we bought that? It tastes awful, but we're eating it.

On the plus side, our freezer and pantry are so bare it's almost disturbing. Pretty proud of us! And, this mindset has made us almost entirely eliminate food waste! Only the occasional prematurely dead piece of fruit get tossed. We think more carefully about those bulk Costco purchases now that we know we have to eat it all... :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #530 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
We're doing pretty well.
-a freaking 5lb bag of frozen green beans that we are sllllloooooowwwwllly consuming
-9 boxes of jello, which I don't remember buying and don't know what to do with (other than make jello, which we don't really like the taste of...)
-canned salmon. You guys, what were we THINKING when we bought that? It tastes awful, but we're eating it.

Could you use the green beans and canned salmon in some fishcakes? I usually cheat and use instant potatoes some poached fish, peas and a load of curry/Indian spices. It would probably hide the salmon pretty good if you had some strong spicy flavors.

I have also roasted green beans, makes them easier to fit into meals. Also, some garlic stir fried green beans make a super tasty and quick side dish. I put a bit of oil in a wok add chopped garlic cook for a second or two and then add the beans straight from the freezer. Drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and sesame seeds and it is good to go. I actually have green beans in my freezer and should take my own advice :)

Good Job! on your progress Mrs. Frugalwoods

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: July 24, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I need some advice.  I have eaten all the eggs (potato salad) and my husband has eaten all the cereal.  I need breakfast for tomorrow.  Ideas?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: July 24, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
I need some advice.  I have eaten all the eggs (potato salad) and my husband has eaten all the cereal.  I need breakfast for tomorrow.  Ideas?
I don't stick to breakfast foods for breakfast.  Yesterday I had an avocado.  Today I had an apple with peanut butter.  Figure out what you have to eat, and eat it!  :)

I just ate a HORRIBLE can of soup.  I must have bought it by accident.  I felt like I was eating queso with chicken.  Ick.  I've learned my lesson.  Look at the label of every can of soup before it goes into the cart.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: July 24, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
Overnight oats or oatmeal?

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #534 on: July 24, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
We're doing pretty well.

Could you use the green beans and canned salmon in some fishcakes? I usually cheat and use instant potatoes some poached fish, peas and a load of curry/Indian spices. It would probably hide the salmon pretty good if you had some strong spicy flavors.

I have also roasted green beans, makes them easier to fit into meals. Also, some garlic stir fried green beans make a super tasty and quick side dish. I put a bit of oil in a wok add chopped garlic cook for a second or two and then add the beans straight from the freezer. Drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and sesame seeds and it is good to go. I actually have green beans in my freezer and should take my own advice :)

Good Job! on your progress Mrs. Frugalwoods
Ooooo fishcakes are a good idea, thank you! I love curry and Indian spices, so that sounds great. I'll pitch the idea to my chef (aka Mr. Frugalwoods).

We've done quite a few garlic/shallot green bean stir fries, just as you mention. It's pretty yum, I think we're just bored of it. 5lb is a lot. I don't know WHAT we were thinking.

Any ideas for the Jello? Ick.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: July 24, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
Honestly, I'd donate it to a food bank or something with all the artificial colors and flavors in it...

My MIL once made jello sugar cookies....people either loved em or hated them

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Honestly, I'd donate it to a food bank or something with all the artificial colors and flavors in it...

My MIL once made jello sugar cookies....people either loved em or hated them
Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. I have no idea when or why we bought it... I'm guessing someone had the flu at one point and we thought it would be a good idea. I should just donate it before it goes bad.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #537 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »

I'm too lazy to hunt down a recipe at the moment, but Jello poke cake is quite good. You make a regular sheet cake, then once it's cooled, poke holes in it and pour the liquid Jello over the top, then let it set. It's a pretty kitsch recipe, but honestly, it tastes way better than it sounds.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #538 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
9 boxes of jello, which I don't remember buying and don't know what to do with (other than make jello, which we don't really like the taste of...)

Hello?!?!?! Let's have a party and make Jello shots! I can whip up all sorts of yummy combos!

As for the salmon, you could always make salmon croquettes topped with a lemon-dill sauce.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #539 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
We're doing pretty well.

On the plus side, our freezer and pantry are so bare it's almost disturbing. Pretty proud of us! And, this mindset has made us almost entirely eliminate food waste! Only the occasional prematurely dead piece of fruit get tossed. We think more carefully about those bulk Costco purchases now that we know we have to eat it all... :)

5lb is a lot indeed, if they were like mine they are now a sort of dried out too.  Try cooking them with your lentil dishes, just throw them in 5 min before the end.  They start to taste like lentils and not green peas. Better texture though.

Jello.  9 boxes and you don't like it?  That is an interesting situation.  There are some no cook cheesecake recipes that use jello.  Here is one but I am not a cool whip fan but you should get the idea.

http://www.jello.com/recipe/lemon-lovelies

Summer is here and jello/juice Popsicles are tasty and no drip.

I don't recommend lime jello salad with green peas, celery and carrots, aka 1970...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: July 24, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
Summer is here and jello/juice Popsicles are tasty and no drip.

Ohhh my mom use t make these when we were kids and they were my very fave! okay...turns out I do like one application for commercial jello :)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #541 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

I'm too lazy to hunt down a recipe at the moment, but Jello poke cake is quite good. You make a regular sheet cake, then once it's cooled, poke holes in it and pour the liquid Jello over the top, then let it set. It's a pretty kitsch recipe, but honestly, it tastes way better than it sounds.

Yes, this.  It was the only think I could think of for Jello as well.  My mom used to make a strawberry cake with strawberry Jello and we all loved it.  I was a kid. I don't know if I'd like it now. But its worth a try.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:13 AM »
Making good progress on a jar of minced garlic in the fridge. Need to start in on the jar of pureed ginger.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2014, 03:47:50 AM »

In this situation, I eat leftovers, make pancakes (if you have time--you may have the ingredients on hand for some recipes), or just... forage. In Korea, there aren't "breakfast" foods. People eat the same things for all meals! So, on that note, any rice, kimchi, and fish? ;-)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »
I was going to start a thread on this, then saw some long-established ones here.  I was inspired to eat all the food in my house by the book "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School" by Kathleen Flinn.  (For those interested, I have posted my recommendation in the MUSTACHIAN BOOK CLUB.)  She addresses food waste and practical tips for using what you have.

I was floored when I opened up my kitchen/pantry to see our stockpile.  A lot of it is in the freezer, so not at risk of going bad anytime soon, but this is a month when we have bills to pay for property taxes and some work done on our house and I really think this is a good time to dip heavily into the food stash and get after it to help grease the skids on the old cash flow.

I made the Barefoot Contessa's zucchini gratin last night with our summer bounty and thought it was to-die-for good:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-gratin-recipe2.html

This recipe could be used as a base for many veggies, including homemade green bean and mushroom casserole, while wiping out the need for canned creamed soups. Next time I'll probably put thyme in it. I couldn't stomach the price on gruyere at my market, so substituted swiss cheese.  I've used parmesan before, and I imagine other cheeses (pecorino, white cheddar) would work well depending on what flavor you want.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #545 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:12 AM »
9 boxes of jello, which I don't remember buying and don't know what to do with (other than make jello, which we don't really like the taste of...)

Hello?!?!?! Let's have a party and make Jello shots! I can whip up all sorts of yummy combos!

As for the salmon, you could always make salmon croquettes topped with a lemon-dill sauce.
Jello shots FTW! That could help me in our other quest to use up the liquor cabinet before buying more... Not sure though, I can't handle more than a shot or two.

We are going to a dinner party tonight, would be pretty funny to roll up (on our bikes) with Jello shots. If they didn't think we were frugal weirdos before...

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

Yes, this.  It was the only think I could think of for Jello as well.  My mom used to make a strawberry cake with strawberry Jello and we all loved it.  I was a kid. I don't know if I'd like it now. But its worth a try.
Jello cakes! Who knew? I'm so glad I asked you guys!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
If you're looking up recipes I think they call the Jello cake "Poke and Pour."  People like it, I guess.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »

Jello shots FTW! That could help me in our other quest to use up the liquor cabinet before buying more... Not sure though, I can't handle more than a shot or two.

We are going to a dinner party tonight, would be pretty funny to roll up (on our bikes) with Jello shots. If they didn't think we were frugal weirdos before...

Frugal Weirdos... would make a great forum handle. ;)

As for the shots, Cherry + Vanilla vodka (or Whipped Cream vodka) are my fave. Glad I could help kill two birds with one stone.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: July 25, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »

I wish someone would show up at my apartment tonight with Jell-O shots! 

I'm making steady progress on our freezer.  I need to cook some pierogies this weekend.  I also have plans to use a few pounds of frozen vegetables (bulk cooking) while restocking the freezer. 

Our fridge has been better, but I still have a lot of tahini.  No chickpeas for hummus.  Any other ideas?