Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140091 times)

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Things I struggle with $ wise:  Hair removal.  I have hair EVERYWHERE.

Work Clothes.  Everyone here dresses business business business with nice makeup and accessories.  I look horrible in comparison and I can't bring myself to spend money on nicer items.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »
I used to spend $75 for a haircut + tip....then found out that my friend's daughter was a hairdresser.  She fixed an awful mess that the expensive hairdresser made.  Now I go to the barbershop where she works to get my haircuts.  The price went up recently to $16...which I am happy to pay!  She does a great job and I don't have to go very often. 

Other than mascara or lipbalm, I haven't bought any makeup in years.  When I work I just wear lip balm.....my hair is in a hat at work and I also have a face mask on most of the time.  This is because it's in an operating room, so no one sees my face anyway.
I just use a powder with SPF otherwise and some mascara and gloss if I'm going "out" to dinner or some social function.

I am terrible about clothes shopping.  If not for clothing swaps with friends I would not have anything to wear.  In fact, most of the stuff that was originally mine either doesn't fit anymore or has a bunch of holes in it!  This is one area where I could actually increase my budget.  Everyone I know thinks I need to spend a little more time/attention in this area.

One caveat.....I love pedicures!  French and only during sandal season.  I don't paint my fingernails though, just toes.

I am trying to do better in the fitness realm.  I have found that when I am slender an toned it makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel about myself.  That is one reason I don't have many clothes.....I haven't "earned" them with discipline.  I have never told anyone that before.  I've never known what made me feel that way, but I'm trying to use that as an incentive to be healthier!  It also forces me to be more creative with the items I already have.

Perpetual_Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »
Most of my "primping" is to make myself feel readied and able to rock the day.  For me, the shaving, makeup, etc. is like making my bed and taking a shower...it makes me feel like I care for myself and that I'm ready to go out and face the world!

That said, I'm very cheap.  IUD and DivaCup are very low-cost solutions to the delightful business of being female.  I buy the cheapest shampoo and conditioner since I don't have fussy hair, and half the time I shower at work anyway, where the products are provided.  I use razors for a LONG time - the only thing that really damages them is water left on the blade, so living in a dry climate helps (other climates can dip a razor in some alcohol to dry faster).

I use drugstore makeup - powder foundation, cheap ass blush, and eyeliner when I'm feeling sassy.  I grew up frugal and I'm still broke as balls, so I almost never buy anything expensive.  All my clothes are secondhand sans underwear and socks, but that sucks because I'm tall and thin and hard to fit.  I always look like I'm wearing my little sister's clothing.

We have bar soap, but it scuzzes up the tub and shower and I'm freaking sick of having to scrub it off.  Shower spray applied daily does not seem to help.  Any good ideas?

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »
I love having an IUD - my "periods" are now a bit of spotting a couple days a month, and some women stop having periods altogether.  Much easier and more effective than taking a pill every day.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
mushroom, is that the IUS/ hormonal IUD rather than the copper IUD? I'm thinking about getting one but am a little apprehensive about the fitting and the side effects.

Perpetual_Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Mushroom, I hear you!  Periods were hell before and now I barely notice them.

Shandi76, the copper IUD generally makes for worse, heavier periods.  I have the hormonal one and recommend it to all.  Many of my friends have gotten them with no issues.  One did have her ute spit it back out though.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
Shandi76, the copper IUD generally makes for worse, heavier periods. 

That depends entirely on the woman and your personal hormone levels.  I have the copper IUD and my periods are shorter than they once were but just as heavy.  Combined with the Diva Cup though I can't tell the difference.   Even if it was a bit heavier the lack of hormones is worth it.  Not to mention that Paraguard lasts twice as long as the Mirena.

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
shandi76 - I have the hormonal IUD (Mirena).  The fitting isn't terribly pleasant, but honestly, I didn't find it a big deal at all when I kept it in perspective that this was a couple minutes of discomfort so that I wouldn't have to worry about birth control for years.  I had some cramping for the first couple of weeks, but after that, I've had no idea that it's there and no problems with it or side effects at all. 

My two closest friends also have IUDs and are really happy with them.  Of course the experience will depend on the individual, but my sense is that many women have a good experience with it.

And so I don't feel like I've completely hijacked this thread:

bicycle - loved your post like so many women here.  I was amazed at all the women in my residency program who would be working 80 hours a week coming into the hospital with makeup and perfect hair at 6 a.m. (probably waking up at 4:30 a.m. to do this).  I am not a makeup girl (only for special occasions) and would much prefer sleeping a little extra to try to catch up on the massive sleep deprivation debt I built up over the years.  I never quite fit in, and I love your comment about radiating beautiful emotions.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
Question- I'd like to know specific details about epilators and using them. Models would be good, what you like or don't like, what you've learned.

I apologize for digging up an old question, but I'm also interested in some answers to this question.

I've never heard of epilators before this thread, but I'm intrigued and would like to try it. Problem is.. I looked at Amazon and found most of the popular ones range in price from around $50 to $120! Ouch. That's not something I can just pick up without a lot of thought. I'd hate to pick one out, find out it doesn't work well on me, and be out that much money. Looking over reviews for different models, it just seems that there's always someone who says it works great, and someone else who says it doesn't work on her. I just don't know whether there's different kinds of features that work better with different kinds of skin/hair, etc., and what feature(s) are must haves, nice to have, or useless, from an experienced user's point of view. Currently I wax and tweeze, so I'm thinking that the pain issue should be manageable (as compared to someone who doesn't usually pull out hairs). Also, how long does it take to use one of these? One of my problems is I can't stay looking down, or twisting my neck for long, lest I aggravate my back/neck issues.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on cheap(er) non-chemical sunscreen?  I have bad skin allergies and I've been spending about $120/year on daily face suncreen that is just zinc/titanium and doesn't look like chalk.

Osprey

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

However, I'll admit that I love clothing. I think having beautiful, well-made clothing is like owning a small work of wearable art... although certainly most clothing isn't well-made.

This is kind of embarrassing, but I've definitely been wistful peering into other people's medicine cabinets and seeing lots of fancy fancy products. I buy Cetaphil in bulk from Costco, and it doesn't feel very chic to have this enormous tub sitting out. So, now I spoon it into a small brown amber glass jar with a screwtop lid. It feels more luxurious. I think I may start mixing a few drops of essential oils or some rosewater into it, to amp it up further.

I love clothing too but it's so depressing to see all the junk that's out there, I've more or less given up. I also get medicine-cabinet envy and probably it's more about the containers than the products. It's a great idea just to decant cheapo-bulk products into fancy jars, got to try it tonight!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on cheap(er) non-chemical sunscreen?  I have bad skin allergies and I've been spending about $120/year on daily face suncreen that is just zinc/titanium and doesn't look like chalk.

Wear more protective clothing and avoid direct sun exposure from 12-2?  That's probably your best option, but not the one you probably wanted to hear.  Other things I've heard thrown around are coconut oil (15spf naturally) or making your own sunscreen from various ingredients.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:24 AM »
smalllife--I've never heard about coconut oil or making my own.  It's mostly facial sunscreen (I work on a high floor next to a large, old window) that I find myself in need of on a daily basis.  I'm going to look into both options. 

On the note of shoes...as a New Yorker who walks everywhere and I KILL shoes. I finally figured out the shoe thing for myself.  I've bought a pair of high quality (usually $80ish) brown leather shoes in every basic style over the past several years.  I have knee high boots (those were pricier but they are 4 yrs old and will likely give me 20 more, tho they will require resoling); lace-up, ankle-high wintery boots; loafers; lowish heels with a t-strap; and sandals.  This simplifies my wardrobe, and forces me to make frankly more interesting ensembles with what I own.  And now I don't even need to browse shoe stores.

Also, I've switched to minimalist running shoes, which aren't for everyone but can last a lot longer than padded shoes.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 06:34:34 AM »
This may be stupid, but could you see about putting a UV film on the window at your work? It'd pay for itself compared to sunscreen pretty quickly.

Osprey

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
Regarding epilators: I bought a Philips mid-range model two years ago and it gets constant use, except it's a big schlep to plug in and clean up. I wish I'd ponied up for a more expensive waterproof one to use in-shower.

AnnaD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:36 AM »
Shandi76, the copper IUD generally makes for worse, heavier periods. 

That depends entirely on the woman and your personal hormone levels.  I have the copper IUD and my periods are shorter than they once were but just as heavy.  Combined with the Diva Cup though I can't tell the difference.   Even if it was a bit heavier the lack of hormones is worth it.  Not to mention that Paraguard lasts twice as long as the Mirena.

This seems to be a catch-all thread for "lady 'staches" so I hope I'm not thread-jacking too much.
I don't know how many of you have HSA's but keep in mind with an IUD that you'll be paying all the cost of the IUD and insertion because neither Paragard nor Mirena is generic yet.  I had the Mirena inserted last year and paid about $1300 between the IUD and the insertion, from my HSA.  Mind you this was an effort to be cost-effective as the breakdown per year was ~$260/yr.  However, the hormone in the Mirena drove me crazy and I do mean to the edge of reason and beyond!  After 7 months I had that sucker yanked out costing me over $1300 for one year of contraception. :(

I'm eyeing the Paragard now as new data shows it may be effective for up to 12 years.  At the cost of another ~$1300 that would breakdown to ~$108/yr.  By the time I need a new one there is a good possibility a cheaper or generic IUD will be on the market and the next one would cost even less. 

To round things out I just started using the DivaCup and I have to give kudos to this forum for finally pushing me to buy one.  I love it!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »

I don't know how many of you have HSA's but keep in mind with an IUD that you'll be paying all the cost of the IUD and insertion because neither Paragard nor Mirena is generic yet.  I had the Mirena inserted last year and paid about $1300 between the IUD and the insertion, from my HSA.  Mind you this was an effort to be cost-effective as the breakdown per year was ~$260/yr.  However, the hormone in the Mirena drove me crazy and I do mean to the edge of reason and beyond!  After 7 months I had that sucker yanked out costing me over $1300 for one year of contraception. :(

I'm eyeing the Paragard now as new data shows it may be effective for up to 12 years.  At the cost of another ~$1300 that would breakdown to ~$108/yr.  By the time I need a new one there is a good possibility a cheaper or generic IUD will be on the market and the next one would cost even less. 

Both Mirena and Paraguard are FDA approved methods of birth control.   As such they require no co-pay or additional payments because of the new health care laws.   Mine was completely free to insert and I got my co-pay refunded by my insurance company.

AnnaD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Is that with all healthcare plans?  I thought it only mandated that they provide coverage for it not provide it at no cost to the individual.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Is that with all healthcare plans?  I thought it only mandated that they provide coverage for it not provide it at no cost to the individual.

Birth control is now classified as preventative care, which requires no additional out of pocket costs to the consumer.  Whether or not you have a co-pay may be up to the specific plan but you shouldn't have to pay the additional billing costs above and beyond that. Coverage is mandated, but the crucial part of that coverage is that it is classified as preventative care.   It is my understanding that birth control (FDA approved) can be obtained without all of the additional fees and out of pocket costs associated with specialty care.   

Even better is that sterilization is an FDA approved method of birth control :-) 

Perpetual_Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
Sterilization is approved as BC?  That is awesome.  Because there are no mini money mustaches in my future, and so I am very glad to hear that the procedure will be more affordable.

I have had great experiences with the Mirena IUD.  I typically do poorly with hormonal BC - it drives me crazy!  I suspect I have low levels of the female hormones to start with.  Mirena has the lowest amount of hormones available, something approaching 1/7th of the lowest-dose pill.  It is also more effective at preventing pregnancy than the copper IUD, which is what decided me.  Paraguard does last 10 years and Mirena only 5, but I did not find the insertion all that bad (I used to have cramps that would take me out of work for two days a month, vomiting in pain, so maybe I'm not the best reference).  Four of my friends have gotten IUDs on my recommendation and one didn't have a good experience, i.e. her uterus spat it back out.  But up until then, she loved it.

The first month was a little rough with the hormones until my body adjusted.  It was like PMS for a month - teary, edgy, hormones.  But it went away, and I love not thinking about BC and not having horrendous periods.  In fact, I didn't even have one for years, and now I barely notice them.

Them's m'two cents, YMMV.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I'm about to get the Mirena IUD! :D I'm hoping it will mean less migraines... typically I get anywhere between 2-5 every month 'round about that time. Plus I'm looking forward to not having to take pills! I take mine every day but it's such a habit that I don't always remember taking it and then I freak out until I can get back home to check.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
Lots of great advice and information about IUDs thanks :-) I'm in the UK so we don't have to pay for contraception which means cost isn't a factor. I used to get headaches on the combined pill so not sure I want another hormonal method of contraception. Sterilization (preferably for my partner) sounds great but it is hard to get 2 Doctors to agree you can have the procedure when you are mid 30s and childless.

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 06:55:40 AM »
smalllife--I've never heard about coconut oil or making my own.  It's mostly facial sunscreen (I work on a high floor next to a large, old window) that I find myself in need of on a daily basis.  I'm going to look into both options. 

On the note of shoes...as a New Yorker who walks everywhere and I KILL shoes. I finally figured out the shoe thing for myself.  I've bought a pair of high quality (usually $80ish) brown leather shoes in every basic style over the past several years.  I have knee high boots (those were pricier but they are 4 yrs old and will likely give me 20 more, tho they will require resoling); lace-up, ankle-high wintery boots; loafers; lowish heels with a t-strap; and sandals.  This simplifies my wardrobe, and forces me to make frankly more interesting ensembles with what I own.  And now I don't even need to browse shoe stores.

Also, I've switched to minimalist running shoes, which aren't for everyone but can last a lot longer than padded shoes.

I will agree about the coconut oil. I'm very fair skinned (can burn in 15 minutes or less) but coconut oil works well for me. I put it on in the AM instead of regular sunscreen and facial lotion. No burns yet and I've been using it for a little over a year now.

You mention that you have found boots that work well (last long & stand up to lots of walking). Would you mind sharing? I'm looking to replace a pair of boots I have (not at all quality) and I want to make sure to buy a pair that will last for years without breaking the bank.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Slip, slop, slap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip-Slop-Slap

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
I've never seen that Slip-Slap-Slop! I like it, a bit like Stop Drop and Roll.

feistygg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
Just found this thread! Wish there was a section for us minority Lady Staches. I'm going to get my Mirena IUD "re-upped" this year and it was the best $30 I spent back in 2008. Here's to another 5 years of a barren womb!

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »

Lately I've spent less time and money on clothes/makeup and more getting outside, eating healthy food, developing healthy habits. I figure if I look fairly healthy and fit, then I'll look good even in old clothes with minimal makeup. Not that I'm ever going to be a model that can put on a sack and look great, but I can at least look decent in a plain tee and jeans.  Being healthy is a way of taking care of myself AND my appearance that's relatively cheap.

This this this this this this this!!!! I've had several people tell me I'm looking really good recently and I'm feeling good. It's all due to healthy eating of REAL foods. No more processed crap and I cut WAY back on sugar. No snacking, I'm making all our food from scratch. Also getting outside. That glow is coming from within! Better than any new clothes item.

Also a scarf makes a wonderful fashion addition to almost any outfit.

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
Just read the whole thread - what a delightful place to find!

For clothing I have made a pledge to not buy anything new for 2013 but to use what I have in my closet. I also decided to donate anything that makes me feel like a schlub. I have definitely pared down my wardrobe but have never been happier for it. The concept of a 'capsule wardrobe' isn't new but it's such a relief and release!

Makeup is minimal - I have nice palettes and they'll last me for years, same with lipsticks (which get worn rarely). The thing I can't go without is mascara because my eyelashes are blonde. I look like I don't have any and you can barely see my eyes without mascara. I discovered 'tubing' mascara though and I love it. It comes off with simple soap and water, no more raccoon eyes and no more makeup remover.

penny

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
I second all the advice above. A few tips, some of which were mentioned have really helped me.

Whenever I start to feel down about my appearance I always remind myself that eating healthy/exercising/having confidence are WAY more noticeable than lipstick or a new outfit.

I’ve gone without shampoo on and off for years.  Washing your hair with water everyday makes an enormous difference. Baby powder to take care of greasy hair goes a long way.  Ultimately I found that for me personally it was just as much effort not washing my hair with shampoo as doing so, so I’ve started again. However, even splashing out and buying “decent” shampoo seems to go a long way after doing all of this.

I used to get highlights religiously.  Once I tallied up the expense, I figured just because my hair looks a little  (or possibly much) better with highlights, it’s simply not worth the expense. Dishwater blonde hair is probably one of the drabbest colors, but after letting it go (and yes it was a difficult transition) I found my hair lightened up naturally and better complemented my skin tone. Does it look great? Probably not, but I figure if I’m looking to attract a man with my highlights then I’ll have greater issues down the road.

I’m not afraid to cut my own hair, or go to lemon tree, but I’m finding now that “good” haircuts really make a difference in the long run. Groupons are a dime a dozen for fancy salons.   That and living social always has deals, and the businesses are generally eager to hook you into becoming a regular customer, so they do an extra fab job.

Skin- I use oil-washing method, same as others have mentioned. Can’t speak highly enough about it. I have literally seen wrinkles disappear from my face, and it’s to the point that I look worse with foundation. I use olive oil, castor oil or grape seed oil- Google for recipes or just try things out. I no longer need face wash, moisturizer, acne medication, and aging cream…

Makeup-over the past several years I paired down the makeup I wore to work.  It got to the point that my one go-to was mascara.  Mascara was the one thing I couldn’t go out in public without. Out of curiosity I just stopped for a couple days to see what would happen. The world did not collapse. In fact it was quite liberating. And contrary to my previous assumptions, men seem to find this attractive.
Full disclosure- I do wear make up when I go out, but eyeshadow seems to last forever, and I don’t bother with foundation or lipstick.

Nails- Nail teks clear nail polish makes a world of a difference in the health of your nails. I literally went from biting them to the quick to having nice ones. It’s kind of expensive, but well worth the cost. About 10$ at the drug store for a tiny bottle. I used to get mani- pedis, but I found if I mimic their style and wipe off all the excess nail polish from the brush at the edge of the bottle, and give myself the clear coat first and last, it looks just as good, if not better. The trick is to not be afraid to get color nail polish on your skins because it washes off with soap.

Reflecting back, I don’t know how I spend 100$ a month at the drug store on ‘necessities’, which at the time I thought I was on austerity.  God only knows how much when I was getting manicure, highlights and facials, and ironically I look far better now.

penny

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Oh, and in regards to lingerie, I figure that if he doesn’t care for the selection I already have, he is welcome to pick out what he wants and spend his money on it ☺

DreamingofFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
I don't wear make-up.  (Would you eat whatever make-up product you are putting on your skin?  Because your skin is soaking it into your body).  I also make all of my own cleaning products, which just means body wash, shampoo, and face cleaner.  Since becoming Mustachian, I have learned to cut my own hair as well.

At the risk of being overly blunt, sometimes I just don't get the need to buy expensive things to cover up what I actually look like.  My self-worth is not defined by how much make-up I wear, how my eyebrows are shaped, or whether my boss wants to sleep with me.  I look how I look and I expect everyone to just get over it.  So far, despite having a job where appearances can matter, it is working just fine.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »
Penny Just a thank you and "amen" to the highlights thing. I was blond for about 10 years - just switched to dark blond natural last year. No I don't "stand out" like I used to, but my hair is in better shape from not being fried on bleach, and besides, who the heck am I trying to stand out for at age 47 married with three kids ...???

Intrigued by the discussion on oil cleansing - but I have to go translate all the oil names in French and figure this out.

I am hoping that with more mustachian eating and biking (and less stress around mone) that my skin will look better and I can go with a lot less make-up...

Love this thread too.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:10 AM »
I got a Paragard (copper IUD) placed two months ago... Oof. I love it when I'm not on my cycle, but my period has gone from three days with minimal spotting before/after to 9-11 days with five days of spotting between. And very mild cramps to waking-me-up-at-night, taking 2,400-mg-of-ibuprofen-every-day bad cramps. :(

I know the first six months are supposed to be rough, so I'm going to ride it out. Just wanted to vent here!

The great news was that it was completely covered by my insurance--not even a co-pay.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »
For some reason I just found this thread.

I work in a professional environment and haven't worn makeup since my interview three years ago, with no ill effects (one promotion and a very positive pretenure review).

I wear pantyhose only if I'm going to the funeral of one of my relatives - conservative religion, not entirely comfortable with the idea of women in pants. I'm in slacks at work almost without exception but figure someone else's funeral is not the place to make a statement. I will wear tights in the winter on rare occasions - they're more comfortable and less prone to runs. One pairs lasts me several years.

I wear my hair in a simple blunt-cut bob just above my shoulders; I get it trimmed at a cheap place because I'm afraid I'd cut it crooked if I did it myself, but one of my goals is to get over that and just learn how to do it right. I'm over 50% gray and have found that I get more respect the further it goes. I didn't like it early on when it was brown with just a few grey streaks.I thought it looked muddy. But I stuck it out for the most part (a few homemade rinses made from black walnut hulls when I couldn't stand it). Now that thegrey is dominant, I love it and get compliments all the time.

Every stitch of my wardrobe other than underwear came from thrift stores. I don't have access to any swanky neighborhood ones now,but I did several years ago before our move to the country, so I built a wardrobe of quality classics. It,s been eight years, so a lot of even the quality pieces have given up the ghost (or 'shrunk in the closet,' a whole 'nother story!) but having had that base to build on meant I could look at my leisure in the completely unswanky thrifts in the towns nearby and snatch up the occasional find. This means don't wait to replace things as they wear out, but it's worked. I go every couple of months, find a pair of slacks if i'm lucky, a suit if I'm really lucky (less than once year because I wait for quality, Talbots or Jones New York at least), usually can find a blouse or two, rarely a scarf.  My casual clothes are work boots, jeans, tees or sweatshirts/flannel shirts. Those I can find. I keep my clothing budget to$100 a year.

Shoes are not included in that budget. I have very high arches and had a lot of foot pain until I discovered some of the European clog brands. I allow a pair a year of Danskos at $120 a pair, but they last so long that I think I'll be able to skip several year after this one. I get styles that work in a professional environment. I did recently find a shocking blue pair in my size at a thrift store, so I snapped it up and now I don't have to put wear on my work wardrobes shoes for family events and the like.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
I got a Paragard (copper IUD) placed two months ago... Oof. I love it when I'm not on my cycle, but my period has gone from three days with minimal spotting before/after to 9-11 days with five days of spotting between. And very mild cramps to waking-me-up-at-night, taking 2,400-mg-of-ibuprofen-every-day bad cramps. :(

I know the first six months are supposed to be rough, so I'm going to ride it out. Just wanted to vent here!

The great news was that it was completely covered by my insurance--not even a co-pay.

I have the Paragard too, because I can't use any type of hormonal birth control. My period also got heavier and longer, which sucks - but it's been 3 years now and I guess I've just gotten used to it. It's better than the pill. :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »

I'd definitely stick it out.  The first 8 months for me were miserable - more so for length than pain.  If you were on hormonal birth control before you switched this is also your body readjusting itself to it's normal levels.   

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
Another happy Murena user here. If I had done a bit more research about how the billing would change when more complete birth control coverage went into effect, I might have waited, but that's water under the bridge and I'm really happy with it. It would be something to check with your doctor about to see if there's some way to try the particular hormones that they use if you're concerned about compatibility, but if you're really concerned, there's always the copper one. I just already had ridiculous periods, so I took my chances with the hormones. The levels are seriously low since they're delivered straight to where they need to be and I haven't noticed any particular side effects.

For all the people keeping your makeup for forever, please keep an eye on it. Companies are really conservative about the recommended shelf life of makeup (that little jar icon you see on the label with a certain number in it) but bacteria can and does grow in it - it's the nature of the beast. Organic and home-made can be even worse since it won't have the better preservatives. Much like food, you can ignore the use-by date, but you've got to pay attention.  One thing that I've found works for me though, is to use eyeliner a lot. A) I like it better than mascara since my lashes are really long and it has the same effect of making my eyes look bigger/more awake; B) I can pick up a dirt cheap eyeliner in a fun color and it's a nice change for going out; C) because you have to sharpen them, you get rid of the top layer of the cosmetic and the bacteria living there too, so it stays safe longer. Wins on all accounts! And brown liner is subtle enough to be one of those little boosts that don't scream "I put this on with a trowel!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »
Great topic!  I hope you don't mind if I pipe in.  :)

There are certain areas of lady-hood that I do participate in.  For example, I tweeze my eyebrows, but luckily that just requires a one-time purchase of tweezers (I've had them waxed maybe 3 times in my life, but I can see how some would get in the habit).  I also get my hair cut at a salon, but I do it once a year on my birthday.  I own nail polish that I've had for several years and occasionally I'll put some on my toenails.  I also shave with a razor, but I do it in the shower and I find my razors last a really long time.  Finally, I own some make-up, but I only use it on special occasions when I want to look good so it also lasts a very long time. 

I've mentioned this before, but I think the thing that makes me feel the most awesome is exercise and being fit and healthy. 

I could have written this myself, with respect to the makeup, nail polish, shaving, and haircuts.

I spoil myself with healthy food (which helps your skin and complexion) and fitness (though I'm off that bandwagon right now with a small infant, I tend to spend my money on the YMCA where I can swim, bike, lift, and on a tri-athlon training program annually).  Though I wasn't very good the first 10 years after I moved to California, I am pretty anal about sunscreen now, which helps me look a good 5-10 years younger than I am (42).  Though the kids are aging me. :)

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:23 AM »
I love this thread! It gave me a lot to think about with respect to birth control/menstruation and hair removal. When I go to the doctor next I think I'll check into getting an IUD. Right now, my husband and I use condoms, but that adds up and if I can ditch the period, there goes the tampons. :)

With respect to everything else, my parents were great in that they raised me to be comfortable with my body and to feel like I had to wear makeup. My mom doesn't wear makeup or dye her hair (though she's pretty lucky, at 45 she's only got about 7 gray hairs). So everyday I only use shampoo (whatever's cheapest, it doesn't seem to matter to my hair), bar soap, contact solution, chapstick, and a comb. I use a razor to shave every few days, though after reading this thread I'm thinking of checking out an epilator or laser hair removal. That's really about all I use. I have a few bottles of nail polish, so I keep my toenails polished, but there is no way I would pay for a pedicure. I would say clothes are my obsession though. I have approx. 250 shirts (which is way overkill, I know). But I swap with family members (same size as mom and sister) and I mainly get them from thrift stores and charity garage sales and when I'm done with them they get donated again. So it sounds completely absurd, but I only spend around $150 a year on clothes (including expensive undies and bras). For anyone in the Seattle area, definitely go to the Vision House garage sale in August in Renton. It's how I support my shirt problem (think 65 shirts for $15, it helps that I know my size and how different brand fit really well).

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »
When I go to the doctor next I think I'll check into getting an IUD. Right now, my husband and I use condoms, but that adds up and if I can ditch the period, there goes the tampons. :)

If you have health insurance, birth control should be covered after your first plan rollover after August 1st, 2012 with no co-pay, deductible, or coinsurance. My plan year isn't up until the end of March, so it isn't free for me until April. I know my pills are now free, but I have no idea about the IUD. I'm assuming so! I would investigate since that would definitely save you some money then!!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
I have to dress at a high professional level for work, since part of my job is to make presentations to boards of directors. To do this, I use a high/low approach.  I have two viciously expensive St. John Knit blazers I bought years ago, wear at least weekly and can throw in a suitcase. They wear like iron and rarely need dry cleaning. I cringed at the price when I bought them, and delayed buying them for years because of the price, but they are the best clothing purchases I have ever made.

Everything else comes from thrift shops and 90% clearance sales except my shoes, which are usually Frye boots I buy on Ebay.  There are two or three styles of Frye boots that fit my strangely shaped feet and I look for them and bid low.  (If I win, great. If not, there will be more boots next week.) I carry Coach bags I bought at an outlet 20 years ago.  The original leather ones last forever. I have also gotten totes on Ebay. Bought one that retailed at $1,000 for $90.  Used it constantly for 5 years. 

I have one outfit I get constant compliments on.  It's a St. John Knit blazer, a houndstooth skirt I bought for $2.99 at a thrift shop, Frye Boots from Ebay, tights from the drugstore and a necklace I made as described below.  I would be comfortable meeting the Queen in this outfit.  (Though for the Queen I would wear a hat!)

I make my own necklaces, usually three-strand bead twists, again using high-low.  I intersperse glass beads bought in bulk with a few freshwater pearls and semiprecious stones.  I use jewelry catalogues like Ross-Simons for inspiration. I buy the pearls and semi-precious stones at discount bead shops on 6th Avenue in NYC. 

Hair is a big expense for me.  I have wavy/curly fine hair with numerous cowlicks.  I have a hairdresser in NYC who is a genius and makes it look fantastic.  I use her twice a year and trim it myself the rest of the time.  She costs $150!!!!!, but no one cuts hair like her. (Never thought I would say that, but people remark on her cuts.)  I do not color.  My hair is mouse brown and the gray coming in looks kind of nice in contrast.  Also, I am not one of those people who want to take the time to color every two weeks or whatever it takes to keep a gray stripe from showing, and I think the stripe looks worse than salt and pepper. 

I do wear makeup.  I have very sparse eyebrows and small deeply set eyes and if I wear no makeup people are always asking me if I am tired.  I use couponing websites to search for drugstore deals on makeup.  If you use the coupons right - combine 2 for 1 sales with store coupons and manufactuer coupons and rebates, you can get makeup for pennies.  I use Olay products on my face because a Target deal a couple of years ago actually make me $5 for every $20 I spent.  Yes, I do mean a net negative cost.  Those are rare, and you have to avoid hoarding instincts when they come along.  I use sunscreen all the time because melanoma runs in the family and use the same process to buy it as I do makeup.  I have expensive makeup brushes that were a Christmas present.  I wash them regularly with shampoo. 

As far as other personal care, for some reason razors last me forever.  The one I am using now is still going strong after a year.  I never use shaving cream - soap is fine.  I wash my hair with very diluted dandruff shampoo.  A small bottle lasts at least a year. I exfoliate with a rough washcloth and have very good skin.  I like to take baths and buy bath salts and bubbles in bulk at the post-Christmas sales.  I found an especially good Bath and Body Works deal two years ago and am still working on that.

I agree with Mrs. MM and others that a healthy diet, an active life and (very important for me) a good night's sleep are the best beauty treatments.   

Anyway, that's what works for me.  When I decide to pull the trigger and retire (not sure when that will be, still having fun), my wardrobe will go almost entirely thrift shop, since I plan to live in fleece and jeans. 

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
As a 25 year old guy I don't meet the Lady Stache requirement of this thread but I really wanted to weigh in on some of this perception stuff and the fear of leaving behind the expensive makeup, clothing etc.

Skin tight jeans, 3 inch heels, make up, lingerie, and what have you do nothing for me. IMO, there is nothing more attractive than a woman who is comfortable. Truthfully, if you're happy and you're making it visibly noticeable you've immediately got my attention. A smile can stop me in my tracks. Be happy and be true to yourself and the rest just fades away.

Jokingly, I've always said that make up is for ugly people. It's blunt, but carries some truth. Using make up means that you have to 'make up' for something you lack. By that standard, any users owe themselves a little more respect in my opinion. Be true, be you. (was that a slogan for something?)

A few of you ladies have touched on it quite nicely, but I just wanted to reiterate. Carry on :)

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
Another lady mini-stache here!

For those of us who want hair removal, my biggest tip is that I have not found any major difference between fancy salons that charge $40 for an eyebrow waxing and a hole-in-the wall place that charges $15. 

What about laser hair removal?  I decided to do laser hair removal on my bikini line when a recommended place had a special going on.  It seems that, if it indeed is permanent, it will have paid for itself in less than 2 years.

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 02:28:24 AM »
If you have health insurance, birth control should be covered after your first plan rollover after August 1st, 2012 with no co-pay, deductible, or coinsurance. My plan year isn't up until the end of March, so it isn't free for me until April. I know my pills are now free, but I have no idea about the IUD. I'm assuming so! I would investigate since that would definitely save you some money then!!

Thanks! I hope it is. I guess I'll just wait for summer when the plan rolls over.

sadie562

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »
This area is hard for me too.  I'm new here, and I certainly thought I was fairly frugal until discovering this community!  As much as I'd like to forgo all the feminine extras, it's important to me that I look my best.  However, I do take particular pride in looking just like my anti-mustaschian friends but by spending much, much less than them!  Here's what I do to get my lady-things for less or for free! 

Skincare:  This is a biggie for me.  My skin is dry, oily, acne-prone, and extremely sensitive.  My biggest tip is that if you have an issue (acne, aging, extremely dry skin), try a trip to a dermotologist instead of trying to self-treat with drugstore brands.  Of course this depends on your health insurance situation, but for me, the co-pay is only $15 and generic perscriptions are only $7.    Trying multiple lotions and creams gets expensive and usually not as effective as whatever the doctor recommends.  And often, they load you up with samples so you can get away with not purchasing anything for a while.  In terms of brands- Cetaphil is inexpensive has worked wonders for me! When you hone in on what works for you, buy in bulk from Amazon (much cheaper than the drug store).

Make-Up:  Again, with my skin, I can't just slap anything on my face.  I have found that certain products work best for me and  surprise, surprise, they are more expensive.  However, I keep it extremely simple- I have 5 pieces of makeup, total, and use it sparingly.   I don't try new things.  Still, the cost of the make-up bugs me, so here's how avoid feeling guilty- I used credit card reward points to get a $250 Sephora gift card 2 years ago.  I think I have something like $40 left.  Ack, $105 a year is still a ton to spend on make-up.  I still feel guilty about this one.  I've since switched to a cash rewards card, so I'm not sure what I'll do when it runs out.

Clothing:  The biggest thing for me is to avoid shopping altogether.  When I really need something, I go for quality items on sale.  I first try the thrift stores, then move on to the mall, armed with coupons.   Never, ever buy anything from Ann Taylor, Loft, Gap, or Banana Republic if it's not AT LEAST 40% off!!   Also, you need to go in determined to only buy what you came for.  I know this is basic, but I still need to give myself a little pep talk before heading in.  Avoid anything that is dry-clean only.  I keep my work wardrobe simple with classic pieces, and then I add some flair with vintage garage-sale jewelry.    According to Mint, I've managed to keep my clothing spending at $245 for 2012.  This includes socks, shoes, some replacement athletic gear, and building up a professional wardrobe.  Not perfect, I know, but much better than most anti-mustaschians! 

For undies- if you put yourself on the Victoria's Secret mailing list, they'll send you coupons for a free pair of panties!  I have my mom on the list too, and she passes the coupons on to me.  So I haven't paid for underwear in years.

I totally agree with everyone that said that taking care of yourself through diet and exercise is the most important thing!  This is a priority of mine as well.  My own mother is nearly 60 and doesn't look a day over 45 and I know it's because she's kept herself in tip-top shape.

jesse.anne.o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
I also just ran into this thread and was glad to see it here.  I think my biggest spending areas are really between lady-stuff and the cats.

Skin & Makeup are not huge areas for me.  I use makeup but get gift cards and don't lay out much cash.

Hair is a major spending area though.  I do color about 8x per year and a cut about 4 times per year or less (I cut my own bangs).  Basically growing in gray didn't work out the way I thought it would and hair modeling hasn't been all the successful for me in the past at two places.  My only saving grace here is having long enough hair that it doesn't need a cut every month!  OVERALL: I am embarrassed to say how much I spend, honestly.

Clothes are mostly not an issue (plenty of swaps, plenty of thrift and resale places and I have a full closet) but every once in a while I feel like I need a specific thing for work/weather/function and since I have promised myself not to buy sweatshop clothes or shoes, I will lay down some cash from time to time if I can't find anything at thrifts/resale (I keep a list of stuff I'm looking for with me) as long as it's a quality brand with decent labor &/or environmental standards.  Mostly I'm trying to limit buying new though, primarily because of the ecological impact of manufacturing new materials.

I eat well - I'm vegan and we we belong to a CSA and food co-op so I have no shortage of vegetables and I've been vegan for 17 years so I'm well-versed on protein, iron, calcium, etc and have always received a clean bill of health (it's pathetic I even feel like I need to give that disclaimer but there is always someone who insists I must be dying).  Given the CSA and co-op, food expenses are pretty cheap.  We eat out rarely.

The personal trainer - however! - is another major expense.  I totally agree with folks here that being healthy and feeling good about yourself is the best feeling and sort of overrides some of that other stuff but I'm just not at a point yet where I can do strength training unattended safely!  Cardio, yes!  But strength training, no - and I have an awesome trainer who I love and have been working with since October and I can already see major changes so that is totally worth it to me.  BUT.  That's another big ticket item. 

So - hair, trainer and sometimes clothes.  Completely unmustachian.  When I wonder how people can save 50-60% of their salary but I can't...these are probably pretty good reasons why.  Hopefully some of that will change eventually.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »
Jesse, sounds like you're doing great.
Just wanted to add, if the trainer is worth it to you for the motivation, then go right ahead. I've got a few sessions with one myself at the moment and thinking about continuing if we get on well.
But I would seriously challenge the assumption that you aren't competent to do it alone safely. It's not rocket science. There is loads of info in books and on the internet.  And if your trainer isn't actually teaching you enough to be able to do stuff yourself after 4 months, they're either not very good or deliberately prolonging their own employment. I guess the exception would be if you are rehabilitating injuries.
I recommend Rachel Cosgrove's book The Female Body Breakthrough.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
I found out you can make your own sugar wax (for waxing legs).  I tried it and the recipe I used wasn't the best (too thick) but I think I'll be successful next time.  Talk about cheap hair removal options!  Sugar is super cheap, and the cloth strips are washable/reusable.

melissak

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
As a 25 year old guy I don't meet the Lady Stache requirement of this thread but I really wanted to weigh in on some of this perception stuff and the fear of leaving behind the expensive makeup, clothing etc.

Skin tight jeans, 3 inch heels, make up, lingerie, and what have you do nothing for me. IMO, there is nothing more attractive than a woman who is comfortable. Truthfully, if you're happy and you're making it visibly noticeable you've immediately got my attention. A smile can stop me in my tracks. Be happy and be true to yourself and the rest just fades away.

What a great thread! I rarely look at anything related to beauty/makeup/etc online or in magazines, as I usually learn absolutely nothing and don't find my views reflected at all. This thread has been full of great info! And I want to add to the many kudos to bicycle's post about perception.

I am a lady (beginning) stach, but have mostly male friends, as I find most females I meet to be a bit too caught up on superficial things for me to have any common ground with them. (As a disclaimer, I do tend to live in states with a lot of superficial people - not naming names. This was not such an issue when I lived in Maine, where flannel and taxidermy skills were considered sexy- my kind of place!) And from hanging out extensively with males, I find that Arbor33's opinion is very common. Most of my male friends look at a girl who walks into the bar with tons of make-up, and who obviously spent hours on hair and clothes as high-maintenance, probably self-absorbed and just not very interesting, and as likely more trouble than they're worth. (Not to stereotype all dolled-up women, but it's true more often than not in my experience. Also, you can tell the dolled-up females who are really having a fun time and seem down-to-earth, vs. the ones who are real sourpusses and take themselves way too seriously - aka prima donnas.)

Growing up, I was certainly no beauty queen (though not ugly) and was very naive in hair/makeup/fashion matters. (Now that I'm older, I'm just not interested in the least.) At some stage in high school, I decided that rather than spend a couple hours a day trying to doll myself up and impress guys, to little result, I'd rather be using that time learning about/doing things that actually interest me and attract a man for more substantial reasons than just looks. Of course in college, I did the classic "angry young chick" thing and went overboard, getting hideous haircuts, wearing really sloppy clothes, bad dye jobs. Now, as I get older (now 26) I have reached the happy medium where I am just natural. I shower, put on mascara, and brush my hair. That's it. I have always liked just wearing plain clothes - it makes life simple and cheap - and I can wear a plain black shirt and denim shorts/ a black skirt/jeans every day of the week and never go out of style. Just as well, because I would rather rake the lawn than go to the mall. And that's something a lot of men would find sexy! A good way to get a natural blush on.

A couple of things I find funny:

1: I think heavy make-up mostly looks unnecessary and a bit ridiculous. I always wonder - "what are they trying so hard to cover up?" Or: "Wow, she must be rough in the morning!" I do have friends that actually look really hot with make-up on. But, when I see them without it, they just look weird - and even slightly unattractive though they're not actually unattractive at all. It's just that I'm not used to seeing them without it. And of course, most people who wear heavy makeup (especially celebrities) look horrible when you first see them without makeup - not because they're ugly, but because compared to seeing them all dolled-up and perfect-looking, seeing them looking real is a shock.
...Whereas, when I do scrub myself up nicely every once in a while and put on a nice dress and do the slightest thing to my hair, I get lots of compliments. So, if you wear make-up, it may look nice, but people get used to seeing you that way and you have to keep wearing it all the time. Whereas if you're natural, it's easy to impress when you put just a slight effort in.

2: Now that I'm almost ten years out of high school, I find myself getting a lot of compliments and attention from males that I would've never imagined in high school. To be fair, it's usually men in their thirties and up, as I think they've been around the block enough to know that there's a lot more than meets the eye, and looks are only an aspect of a person. While a dolled-up chick may be pleasing to the eye, at the end of the day, my male friends seem to prefer spending time with a female who is fun to hang out with, has a sense of humor, can converse on different topics, has hobbies and interests other than shopping, smiles genuinely, doesn't take herself too seriously, isn't a fussy buzzkill... If she's also beautiful, all the better. If she's not a beauty queen, it's amazing how much a good personality can make a person genuinely attractive. And yes, a genuine smile is the most beautiful thing!
It's funny, it takes a bit of self-confidence to buck the trend as a high-school gal and to not go along with the whole obsession with looks and beauty trends and fashion - but it does definitely pay off a few years down the line! I wish the female magazines would report on this!

Another thing - I'm sure everyone on this forum knows full well how ridiculous "trends" are. What cracks me up in particular is how the magazines will seriously report "this season, the natural, just-rolled-out-of-bed look is in! And here's the eight products you need to achieve it!" Then they'll go on to report how to wash your hair, dry it, and then style it so it looks like you just rolled out of bed. Uhh, there's a much easier way! Similarly, the products they have that you spray on your hair to make it look like you just got out of the ocean, or have dirty hair, or whatever. Too much!

I'm very lucky to have a partner who thinks I'm the sexiest gal in the room even when I'm wearing his flannel, muddy jeans from the garden, and gumboots. Now that is a catch! But from Arbor33's comment, and from talking to my male friends, I think that men, as a whole, are unfairly cast as shallow. Sure, there's plenty of shallow men out there, just like there's plenty of shallow women. But females are taught from such a young age that we have to constantly work on our looks or no man will want us, when really, a lot of men do look for a whole lot more in a woman. And the ones who don't probably aren't worth trying to catch.

melissak

« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
I don't wear make-up.  (Would you eat whatever make-up product you are putting on your skin?  Because your skin is soaking it into your body). 

Another thing that I find funny - a lot of female spend their whole lives slapping heaps of products onto their faces, trying to look good - but isn't all that stuff going to age your skin? Fear not - then you can switch to the zillion "age-defying" products out there.
Too much work, I reckon, when it seems you could just do what most people here are saying - get exercise, stay hydrated, eat well, and genuinely feel good, and let it show through naturally.