Author Topic: Smallest vehicle... to "live" in?  (Read 7704 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Smallest vehicle... to "live" in?
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »
Right, I'm going crazy trying to figure out what works best in terms of taking a 1-2 month trip to "see America". *I* would like to do it full time, but we have a sprog ("baby") due in a few months, so this trip will likely be when the sprog is 3-4 months old. But I'm interested in your thoughts on one person trips too.

Truck camper: Bad fuel efficiency, heavy (and so hard on the truck), and you have to buy two things - truck and camper!

Very small caravan/travel trailer: I have a Crown Vic which is rated to tow 2,500lbs. So one of the fibreglass 14' campers could work, I think

Minivan - but it needs exactly 3 seats. Leave a single captain's chair in the second row? Then add a hitch with a hitch-box cargo storage (rather than a full trailer).

Proper Class B RV - again, needs to be one with 3 seats

Cargo van + convert it, but this fails due to only two seats.

Just take our Civic and stay in motels, hotels, spend more time visiting family?

The trip itself is absolutely undecided. Wife would like to see grand canyon etc. She has a dad who snowbirds to Florida. A cousin in Edmonton. I want to escape the snow in Ontario in February.

I'm reading tosimplify.net and similar sites but can't quite figure it out, with wife and baby, but without a huge vehicle to maintain (6 wheels?! No thanks!) and fuel!

I loved the phrase "I don't live IN my RV, I live OUT OF my RV" (actually that might've been the woman who toured the US in a Prius...).

I'm wondering if a hybrid approach would work - minivan, small 12v fridge, but stay in a hotel every 4-5 days or something...

Ok, very broad question. I am dying to go travelling. How do I do it, efficiently?

Cheers!

Broke NCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Smallest vehicle... to "live" in?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
I vote for a VW eurowagon.  http://www.poptopheaven.com/

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »
In your shoes, I would start by renting some of proposed modes of travel/camping and trying them out for 2 or 3 days at a time now.  If your wife is up for it, rent the RV, the mini-van, and the trailer for starters.  See what you like and don't like.

Before you buy anything, wait for the baby to arrive.  You and your wife may find that a winter at home with a fairly new baby is less intimidating than a long driving trip of any kind.  Where are the grandparents?  That might be a factor in the decision as well. 

A used Casita type trailer is probably the most flexible.  Unhitch it and drive the Crown Vic when you stay somewhere for a few days and it's safe to do so.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »
I vote for a VW eurowagon.  http://www.poptopheaven.com/

Ya, problem is, dollar for dollar, they are hugely expensive! Here in Canada at least. Crazy considering how much a Ford Transit is back home!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
In your shoes, I would start by renting some of proposed modes of travel/camping and trying them out for 2 or 3 days at a time now.  If your wife is up for it, rent the RV, the mini-van, and the trailer for starters.  See what you like and don't like.

Before you buy anything, wait for the baby to arrive.  You and your wife may find that a winter at home with a fairly new baby is less intimidating than a long driving trip of any kind.  Where are the grandparents?  That might be a factor in the decision as well. 

A used Casita type trailer is probably the most flexible.  Unhitch it and drive the Crown Vic when you stay somewhere for a few days and it's safe to do so.

Good thoughts. Yeah we could use a smaller trip away.

I forgot to mention I want to do this as economically as possible!

One grandparent is 15 minutes away, one (will be) in Florida, one in France and one in England. The other option is a trip over the water in Feb/March time.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Just for a single person, as I've no experience doing it with a kid.  Smallest car I've lived out of for a year or so was an Austin-Healey Sprite.  Have also spent a couple of months on a motorcycle, doing a loop from Southern California east to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, then back through Canada and down the coast.  On a bicycle or backpacking, longest stretch was maybe a week at a time.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
It also depends on your budget. I'd personally go with a VW, not the newer Eurovan unless I had a lot of money, but an older Type II which are still found on the market for a decent price, and still able to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Easy to maintain and repair, lots of used parts, roomy interior, relatively good fuel consumption.  The standard pop top version has a folding seat at the back for two passengers, and when folded, four adults can sleep with the pop-top up. I had a 1972 high top camper, fully equipped with 3-way stove, fridge, heater, bed for 3 and porta-potty that took me and my family across Canada, the US and Mexico. Not only was it the perfect setup for long trips, but it was the coolest thing on the road. I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
Remember that a 3-4 mo-old baby will still nurse many times per day. That could affect the sort of vehicle you get as well as the number of stops you all need to make.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »
You don't necessarily need exactly 3 seats.
Any sort of van or classB with a fold down bed should have an extra row of seating, but its not wasted space.  Although, a baby can't sit in a "seat" anyway - all you really need is a solid way to attach a car seat to the frame of the vehicle...
A single bench seat in front might be ideal, since baby is right there next to yall for easy access while moving

Trailers are good if you mainly want to go somewhere, stop, stay there, and have a vehicle to drive around.  Terrible on mileage, annoying to back up, all wide turns, impossible on twisty back roads - traveling with a class B or van is so much easier (I've lived in RVs my entire adult life, including traveling cross country, class B, class C, and travel trailer, and rolled with a traveling carnival a while, so got to see lots of different arrangements too)
If it were me, I'd go with a well used class B or conversion van like the VW microbus

Sweet Betsy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »
Have you considered a roof top tent?  You could put one right on top of your crown vic (perhaps with some sort of rack system).  I know of Cascadia Roof Top Tents based in Oregon.  They look like fun.  Or a tear drop trailer.  They are small but you'll have your enclosed sleeping space. 

As far as any other trailer I was told that our minivan which is rated for 3000 lbs towing capacity wouldn't be able to pull any of them.  Once you put stuff into them they'd be too heavy.  Plus you don't want to be close to your total capacity or you'll blow out your transmission really quickly. 

Lots of people have done something similar.  Look for blogs...www.discovershareinspire.com started their adventures with a relatively small baby plus four more other kids. 

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »

Lots of people have done something similar.  Look for blogs...

Also, do a search here on the forums for "RV" and "trailer" and such - other's have had closely related questions, and that way you get the lean towards frugality and efficiency

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
I *think* it's illegal to have a child seat in the front of a car in Canada. I haven't been able to find a definitive either way. So for that reason, single row of 3 seats is out.

VW busses are just so expensive!

I'm leaning towards just doing hotels, friends, family, and taking a tent. Just much less expensive to set up, and less difficult when it comes to storing stuff in the long term. I look at class Cs and I'm horrified by the maintenance, I imagine class Bs aren't great either...

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
I *think* it's illegal to have a child seat in the front of a car in Canada. I haven't been able to find a definitive either way. So for that reason, single row of 3 seats is out.
What if its a vehicle that only has front seats, like a sports car or a standard cab truck?  Surely there must be exemptions for that.
I could be wrong, but I think that has to do with airbags - as long as the front passenger one can be shut off (or is non-existent) there is no particular problem with kids in front.

I look at class Cs and I'm horrified by the maintenance, I imagine class Bs aren't great either...

??
What maintenance?  Its just a house attached to a car.  You have to do the exact same maintenance to the powertrain you have to do to a car: oil change, tires, fluid top off, every few years suspension and spark plugs and stuff.  Nothing extra just cause its got a bathroom inside.  And the house side, just like any house, appliances go bad every decade or two, occasional plumbing leaks or broken drawer handles, nothing you wouldn't encounter in any house.

Not to say that car camping and hotels isn't also an ok way to travel (less to buy upfront, better fuel mileage), just those don't seem like good reasons to me

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
What if its a vehicle that only has front seats, like a sports car or a standard cab truck?  Surely there must be exemptions for that.
I could be wrong, but I think that has to do with airbags - as long as the front passenger one can be shut off (or is non-existent) there is no particular problem with kids in front.

I look at class Cs and I'm horrified by the maintenance, I imagine class Bs aren't great either...

??
What maintenance?  Its just a house attached to a car.  You have to do the exact same maintenance to the powertrain you have to do to a car: oil change, tires, fluid top off, every few years suspension and spark plugs and stuff.  Nothing extra just cause its got a bathroom inside.  And the house side, just like any house, appliances go bad every decade or two, occasional plumbing leaks or broken drawer handles, nothing you wouldn't encounter in any house.

Not to say that car camping and hotels isn't also an ok way to travel (less to buy upfront, better fuel mileage), just those don't seem like good reasons to me

Yes but that makes it a second house. I'd love to fulltime (I think) but the wife isn't convinced. She has (or rather, will take) about 8 months maternity leave. House attached to a car.. yes, but the wheel bearings, shocks, etc, etc are all much more expensive than for a Civic!

I guess it wouldn't be too bad on a van. We both like the look of the old Ram Vans. I quite like the idea of buying one in Florida (cheaper, lower mileage, no bloody rust to worry about) and bringing it back up here.

I think you must be right re the child seat in the front, though. I can't find anything that specifically states NO child seats in the front.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
I'd love to fulltime (I think) but the wife isn't convinced.

might be the perfect way to find out for sure if it would work for both of you.
fulltime its just one house
and the rent is sure cheap

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
Have you looked on The Samba for a used VW bus?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?

There's tons of them, some few just a few thousand...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Heh, thanks. Most stuff on there is way more expensive than an equivalent non-VW (in Ontario).

I went to look at a 1987 GM Vandura today actually. $2.5k but... rust round the windows. I wasn't convinced.

I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a Ram Van. I hear they are good.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »

Here's a link to the Ontario MTO website regarding car seats: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.shtml

From the website:
Children under 13 years of age are safest in the back seat away from all active air bags.

That seems like a guideline more than anything but I would look over it yourself and maybe do further research if you're planning on putting a car seat in the front row of a car.

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
My husband and I have lived out of our Honda element (we try to get out hiking/climbing whenever we can and do quite a bit of stealth camping).  The back seats both lay flat and then can be clipped up to the side walls (you can also take one out) and we sleep on the floor.  Might be tight w/ baby, but that back area is 6 ft long.  This usually requires stacking everything in the front seat or setting outside or under the car while sleeping.

Also, I don't know about the east, but out west, if you're near the wilderness, bureau of land management (BLM) areas offer free camping, zero amenities.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:03:54 PM by jflo »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
My husband and I have lived out of our Honda element (we try to get out hiking/climbing whenever we can and do quite a bit of stealth camping).  The back seats both lay flat and then can be clipped up to the side walls (you can also take one out) and we sleep on the floor.  Might be tight w/ baby, but that back area is 6 ft long.  This usually requires stacking everything in the front seat or setting outside or under the car while sleeping.

Also, I don't know about the east, but out west, if you're near the wilderness, bureau of land management (BLM) areas offer free camping, zero amenities.

Thanks - yeah I quite like the look of the Elephant. Big plus: can be had in manual. Minus: It's like my MIL's CRV, which I'm not hugely keen on (hers is auto, though. And obviously they are different cars.. same engine though).

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
I would wait until baby gets here. After each of ours, I didn't want to leave the house for at least 3 months.  It sounds like a great adventure, just not one I personally would want to do with a wee one.  Those first few months are crazy/brutal/wonderful and sleepless.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!