Author Topic: Switched to Page Plus!  (Read 4474 times)

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switched to Page Plus!
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
My contract with Verizon just ended two days ago so I just switched to Page Plus.  I thought I would share my experience, in case others just need a little push to make the jump.

Key things from switching:

- My bill is going from $75/month, to $30/month
- I am not changing how I use my phone at all (It includes 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500 mb data)
- Switching probably took a grand total of 30 minutes
- Call quality is identical, data still works, texting still works
- If I can get my data usage down I can switch to their $12/month plan that has 10mb data, but I don't think that is worth it to me right now
- Their FAQ is very useful, and following it made the process painless

Oltmanh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Switched to Page Plus!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
Great info, thanks, checking it out now.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
My sister did this as well - she's thrilled.  I have a couple months left on my contract, so it's better to wait than to pay to break the contract.  Counting the days...

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
Do let us (I.P. Daley, in particular) know how Page Plus works after the America Movil acquisition closes. America Movil is not an owner/provider preferred by the Superguide, though there really doesn't seem to be a better option for repurposed Verizon phones right now.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »
Do let us (I.P. Daley, in particular) know how Page Plus works after the America Movil acquisition closes. America Movil is not an owner/provider preferred by the Superguide, though there really doesn't seem to be a better option for repurposed Verizon phones right now.

Actually, a bit of news slid under the radar from back in late June in regard to this (which just goes to show that I really should keep up with the FCC website more). The streamlined approval process for this acquisition has been suspended pending full review by the Executive, specifically the DoJ, FBI, and DHS:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/streamlining-removal-domestic-transfer-assets-pageplus-tracfone

I have not heard any new information since, but it appears the government may have finally sat up and noticed that the fourth largest telecommunications company in the world, which has a significant problem with antitrust issues in Latin America, has been slowly buying up and eliminating MVNO competition in this country.

I have no faith that the acquisition will actually be struck down, but it's nice to know they're at least considering a bit of extra scrutiny and delaying the process.

Meanwhile, yes... TalkForGood is dead dead dead. There's still Next G Mobile and Selectel (not that I'm necessarily recommending any of these)... but they're all very young (yes, Selectel's been around for a while as a PPC reseller, but the direct sale of services is new), and Verizon MVNOs appear to have the hardest time establishing on the market for a variety of reasons. There's a couple others as well, but I'm not going out on limbs anymore with new MVNOs. I got lucky with Ting and burned with TFG. The statistics might be good for baseball, but this 'aint baseball... it's my recommending options with other people's money and phone numbers.

Anyway, yourself any any other PagePlus customers... when the time does come and the buyout does go through and AM takes over on the support end, do please keep me in the loop.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
I switched 3 months ago, I love it. Going to have to keep an eye on this buy-out business.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
I do worry about about what may happen if pageplus does get bought out because there doesn't seem to be much else out there for a former Verizon user to BOYD on.  As much as I want to buy a new phone (because I want one), I don't want to buy a new phone (because I like my money more).  And it seems like everyone else is going GSM, so I'd definitely have to buy a new phone if we had to switch.