Author Topic: Rock Deodorant to save money  (Read 61879 times)

James

• Handlebar Stache
Rock Deodorant to save money
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
I used a rock deodorant as a kid for many years, my parents got it for us to try and it seemed to work just fine back then.  But over the years I just started using regular deodorant and didn't think much about it.  Over the past year my wife and I have switched to rock deodorant and it has worked well for both of us.  I figure it paid for itself by now, and we are well into profiting from the switch.  Both rocks are just slightly smaller than when we got them, they should last for many years.

The only down side we have noticed is that it is a anti-odorant, not an antiperspirant, so I sweat more when exercising, etc.  But there isn't an odor that we or others have noticed, if you can deal with the perspiration then it isn't a problem.

The rock is just a chunk of Alum, which has natural antibacterial properties.  It works by preventing the bacteria that causes order, it doesn't depend on shutting down your natural sweat glands and giving you a fake smell to make you feel better about your hygiene.  Just get the rock wet after you get out of the shower and rub under each arm.  Quick and simple, and no deodorant stains or residue on your shirts.

It's simple, cheap, and keeps hunks of plastic out of the landfills.  We just went with something from Amazon, but I know there are plenty of other sources out there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A80BWY
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:46:09 AM by James »

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
Re: Rock Deodorant to save money
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »
Interesting.

I hate to sweat, but I'm generally not a soaked-under-the-arms sweater anyhow. But maybe that's because of the regular deoderant I've used almost-daily for the last 20+ years?

My bigger problem is that when I am active my armpits smell like a man, no matter what scent my stick is.

So an anti-oderant is really what I'm after, more than an anti-perspirant.

I'll see what they have at Sprouts next time I'm in and give it a shot!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
I've heard of this before.  Only positive things.

The one you linked to has great reviews, and this other one (slightly cheaper, so it's the one I went with) has glowing reviews as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FVA6XU/

Just ordered one.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
Shoot, I like that basket much better than the little plastic tray mine came in...  :D

Unfortunately the one you got is about half the size, so by ounce it is almost twice as expensive...  I don't think that's a big deal, just fyi for anyone interested.

They say it takes a week or two for the transition because it takes a while to get rid of the bacteria that causes you to stink.  Worked just fine right away for us, but if anyone tries it you might want to give it a full couple week trial before passing judgement.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Unfortunately the one you got is about half the size, so by ounce it is almost twice as expensive...  I don't think that's a big deal, just fyi for anyone interested.

Do you think that will matter?  I can cancel and order the bigger one.

But with the comments I see about people's lasting 10 years or more (for the single rock) does it matter if I have a bigger one or smaller one?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Do you think that will matter?  I can cancel and order the bigger one.

But with the comments I see about people's lasting 10 years or more (for the single rock) does it matter if I have a bigger one or smaller one?

I personally wouldn't want the smaller one as much.  Not because of any sense of cost or value, but simply because it's easier to hold the size I got and rub it under your arm.  The one I had growing up was smaller than the one I have now, and I do remember it was harder to hold onto at times.  Also the smaller it gets the less coverage, so it isn't quite as "quick".  But all of that is extreme nitpicking, I doubt it's a big deal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
Makes sense.  I went ahead and cancelled and ordered the one posted in the OP.  Thanks for the fast replies!  A+++ would recommend.

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
So I happened to be at Sprouts yesterday getting some snacks, and I picked up a crystal for less than $4.

Today is day 1. I had a mild sweat-inducing situation right off the bat at work this morning, but as of now I don't smell anything.

The one I got is similar to this, but a generic that says "Sprouts!" on it:

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »

I can totally see that being sold out of some guy's trench coat on a street corner.

"Psst, hey buddy! Many fine deal here! Have genuine Swiss watch, nylon for sexy lady? Would you like to buy an 'O'? Rock deodorant... you like? We negotiate!"

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
I love this stuff...but I found that I invariably drop and break mine and then it has a sharp edge that hurts.  I tried filing it down and that made more parts break off.  Do I just need to be less of a klutz or has someone figured out a great method not to ever drop it or to smooth it after you have? 

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
My wife dropped hers and it chipped on one side, but it wasn't a big break so she just uses the other side.  They certainly are a bit slippery, the ones with a handle built in might be easier to hold on to.

I'd suggest trying fine sandpaper or green scrubby to smooth off the rough area while wet, but I don't know how well that would work.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
Neat! I saw these years ago but forgot to go back and research them. I'm game to try anything different than what I use now(Dove, the only thing that actually works sometimes)and I happen to have Amazon gift cards from my Swagbucking so I can try it for free. :D

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
Its nowhere remotely near as inexpensive as a $4 rock that lasts 10 years, but I have found plain old alcohol based hand-sanitizer does the exact same thing.
A $4 pump bottle from walgreens lasts 2 people about 3 months.

I've used the rock before, but I find the sanitizer easier and more comfortable to use (no slippery, no sharp edges, easier to get the whole weird shaped underarm area, and easy to refill little travel containers from the bulk bottle, so as to put one in the car, one in the gym bag, etc.

Even if you don't use it at home, its a good trick to have when you are out in the world, getting unexpectedly sweaty, and come across a public hand sanitizer station.

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
But sanitizer has a heavy load of alcohol, which in heavy doses can be a pretty strong irritant.

This reminds me of a germaphobe I met once who used so much sanitizer on her hands that she got horrible blisters and her hands were peeling. To which I pointed out to her that more germs were going to be able to hide on her skin and that she would be better off just washing her hands with plain soap and keeping her skin healthy with a lotion. But i guess you wouldn't be using all that much on your armpits.

In other news, I got home yesterday from work and made my husband sniff my pits. He said one of them was mildly smelly, the other was fine. I'm going to call that a success, based on the running around and BS I had to put up with yesterday. :)

Thanks for the tip, Mr James!

zweipersona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
Oooo... This might sound particularily useful overseas.  I remember reading a few articles that Deodorant is hard to get even in industrialized countries like Japan.  This was a few years ago though so this might've changed.

Even so, this would be a great backup plan, especially if it lasts so long

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
But sanitizer has a heavy load of alcohol, which in heavy doses can be a pretty strong irritant.

It has to, the alcohol is the active ingredient.  Thats one reason I feel better using it than conventional antiperspirant which has all sort of weird crap in it.

The only time it causes any irritation is if I apply it immediately after shaving (which, btw, is another super effective way of reducing stink - the hair traps the sweat, and gives the stink bacteria more surface area to live on)
One pump squirt, less than you might use on your hands, lasts all day of moderate activity, maybe 1/2 a day with a serious workout

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 11:54:20 PM »
I really had no idea these existed. I have always worried about the chemicals I'm rubbing into my armpits every days by using traditional deoderant. It did seem really unnatural to try and block sweat from coming out as well.

Not concerned with sweating, just concerned with smelling. So hopefully this will do the trick. Ordered one...

mugwump

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI and watching my 'stache grow.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
I use plain old rubbing alcohol applied with a ball of cotton when I start to smell.  I also apply plain old baking soda; I just grab a pinch and pat it on.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
The alcohol certainly makes sense, anything that was antibacterial enough to kill what's there should work about the same.  Since just about everybody has alcohol at home in some form, it might work to try alcohol for a while to see if just killing the bacteria and avoiding the smell is enough, or whether you really require the antiperspirant as well.  I think long term the rock has advantages, but it might have a bigger up front cost and is a uni-tasker...

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
I have always worried about the chemicals I'm rubbing into my armpits every days by using traditional deoderant.

The aluminum in many of the normal deodorants is considered bad for you by quite a few sources.  I've been trying to figure something else out for awhile now.  I'll have to try this rock

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Been using it for the last 5 days.  I like it.  No junk under my arms.

Haven't "stress tested" it in a high sweat test yet, but it seems good.

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
I've been using it since the 10th. The first couple of days were fine, then I had a day of heavy lifting at work and when I sat down at my desk I nearly DIED at the funk coming from my shirt. I spent as much of that day in solitude as possible. But then when I got and took off my sweater, I sniffed it and it smelled just fine!

I think James is right, it will take a few weeks of my body getting used to doing it's own thing. I do feel more dampness when I'm doing work, but it dries and so far no one has told me I stink. My clothes smell fine when I get home from work.

Today I'll be riding my bike in to work, so that will be the next test.

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
After reading the reviews, I went out an purchased a rock crystal deodorant (I needed a new one anyway as mine was not working so well). I bought one from Walmart for about $3 but it appears to be a travel sized one (4 oz I think) and the box states it should last a year. I've been using it for 4 days now and it seems to be performing as expected (no stink!). I even had a few sweaty activities and did not get stinky as a result. So thanks all for the reccommendation!

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »
Been using mine for at least a week now, its really working out nicely.

I spend at least 10 hours a week doing high intensity exercise (competitive badminton), and I sweat just as much as I did under traditional deodorant, and no smell. Through my stress testing it really does block sweat odor. Pretty cool!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:38:00 PM by keith »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
I spend at least 10 hours a week doing high intensity exercise (competitive badminton)

Really?  More details!  :D

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
I was on the badminton team my sophomore year of HS! I remember some of the kids took it REALLY seriously. I just wanted to be able to say, "Hey! I played badminton in HS!"

But yes, it can be a fast moving, intense sport! One of my teammates went after a shot so hard she broke her tailbone.

That guy is not my friend. But he's intense.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
I spend at least 10 hours a week doing high intensity exercise (competitive badminton)

Really?  More details!  :D

Badminton is an amazingly popular sport all over the world - just not in the united states ;)

Its a really, really fast game - especially doubles. Takes a lot of quick reflexes. Most people think of "outdoor/backyard badminton"... but real badminton is always played indoors on regulation courts and equipment.

Just watch for 5-10 minutes of each to get a feel for it:
* championship doubles play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLWbf8wGPA
* championship singles play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI8Od4jBpUc

I am nowhere near the skill of championship players... but I play several nights a week and eventually will start moving myself towards tournament play again. I used to compete at the state-level just after high school for men's singles.

In bigger cities you can find dedicated badminton clubs. For example, near Seattle there are two 24-hour dedicated badminton Gyms/clubs. This is my "gym membership" in my budget and it always will be. I pay about $400-500 a year for membership, but I can go train/play anytime I want which is great. These clubs also have professional coaches/classes available. But I use it heavily and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Its worth the ROI for someone like me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:56:06 PM by keith »

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »
James, thanks for the tip.  It's working great for me.

liquidbanana

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
I had one of these before. It lasted like three years. I should get another one....

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »
I have never used this kind of deoderant, but have been curious about how well it would work.  It would be great to trade a chemical product for something so simple and eco-friendly!  Thanks for the information!  I will get one next week....this weekend is our "buy nothing" weekend.  :)

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
Glad it is working for so many people!

This is my first full summer using it, and I've found there are certain times the lack of antiperspirant is annoying.  My brother got married a few weeks ago and I used regular deodorant with antiperspirant to keep more dry when all dressed up down in Georgia.  I don't mind sweating when I am working, and I don't normally need the antiperspirant when I'm not working hard, but I'll keep some around for that rare occasion I want it.

I can certainly say I enjoy not throwing away all those chucks of plastic from regular deodorant.  It's not going to save the world, but it works and has no down side for me.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
James, thanks for the deodorant suggestion.  I am going to purchase them today-one for each member of the family.  My 10 year old daughter gets some bad body odor already (although I did check her showering technique to make sure she was actually washing herself) and I am hoping it works.  I too get concerned about the number of chemicals in regular deodorants

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
The other day I swiped on some deoderant for the first time in months. I felt like it made me smell worse! Maybe it was because I was already sweaty when I used it, or maybe my body has fully adjusted away from the chemicals.

In any case, I won't use deoderant again.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
I use plain old rubbing alcohol applied with a ball of cotton when I start to smell.  I also apply plain old baking soda; I just grab a pinch and pat it on.

Well played.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
Alcohol also works for ingrown hair prevention. It's the part that works in aftershave. Yes, it burns. Dig it. :o)

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
So after reading all the great stories, I bought some of my own and have been using it for a few weeks. To be honest, I don't know why it isn't more popular! It works great, honestly I smell better now than I did ever using deoderant, and is less gross to put on. I actually got the one with the small plastic handle because me and my wife can be klutzy at times, so it is really easy to put on.

I think the only downside is that if your clothes get a decent amount of sweat during the day (and not being an anti-perspirant, my underarms are definately wetter), they can start to smell on their own.

jtmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
I have considered using rock deodorants in the past to avoid the toxicity of regular deodorants.  They definitely seem like an upgrade over the normal ones in the store, but if you are looking for a new deodorant for health reasons, not just money reasons you might try something else.  Alum, while completely natural, does contain aluminum.  I usually use a combination of coconut oil and baking soda. Here's an article written by one Dr. Mercola discussing rock deodorants.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx

Either way rock deodorants seem better for you and more cost efficient than regular ones, so it's definitely a step in the right direction!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I use it as a mild deodorant for everyday office-type activities.  If I'm doing any significant exercise, I find it won't be enough (although I usually just shower afterwards)

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
I'm just now trying it, too! First day's run was fine. I did break a small sweat and by the end of the day I did have a small but it was very slight and if anyone was close enough to smell me they would be asking for a sexual harrassment complaint. I've struggled with women's deodorant/anti-perspirants since they tend to make me smell like cat piss when I get warm and start to sweat. Not good. The men's products work fine on me but I just HATE the fake-o fragrances in both the men's and women's products, especially if I'm trying to recover from a migraine. It's nice to have an un-scented, inexpensive option. :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
I looked into rock deodorant about a year ago but ended up making my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and a few essential oils.  It took a few tries but I have customized it for my own bodies needs and I can make it smell however I want.  I use a bit of tea tree oil for extra anti bacterial strength and a bit of lavender to even out the tea tree.  I infuse the coconut oil with chamomile to be extra soothing on my skin and have decreased the amount of baking soda.  There was a two week period where my body detoxed from commercial anti-perspirants but after that my sweaty levels really went down to lower than they were before.

The only issue I have is that the shoulder with metal in it smells different (worse) than the shoulder without, but I can hardly blame the deodorant for that.

LadyM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
I have considered using rock deodorants in the past to avoid the toxicity of regular deodorants.  They definitely seem like an upgrade over the normal ones in the store, but if you are looking for a new deodorant for health reasons, not just money reasons you might try something else.  Alum, while completely natural, does contain aluminum.  I usually use a combination of coconut oil and baking soda. Here's an article written by one Dr. Mercola discussing rock deodorants.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx

Either way rock deodorants seem better for you and more cost efficient than regular ones, so it's definitely a step in the right direction!

This post got me thinking.  This weekend I bought a stick of Tom's of Maine unscented, and it's also free of crazy stuff like aluminum or alum.  It is only a deodorant, not an anti-perspireant.  So far I like it.  It has no smell and has really nice stuff in it like aloe...no chemicals. 

I've only been using it a few days, but already I love that it doesn't make my pits feel like they've been coated with something, and I don't have any smell.  If I skip a day showering, by the next morning I detect a faint smell, so this probably means I can't skip more than one day of showering, lest I want to stink. 

The real hardcore test might be the gym.  If this deodorant can't hack it there, then I'll reserve my old "chemical stick" for gym activities only.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
The real hardcore test might be the gym.  If this deodorant can't hack it there, then I'll reserve my old "chemical stick" for gym activities only.

The thing is... if you expect to be doing a workout in which you do not sweat/stink afterwards, you're doing the wrong workout in my opinion :)

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
I've been using rock deodorant for a few weeks now, and here's what I've noticed: At the end of the day/workout/whatever, I don't stink, but my undershirt does.

LadyM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

The thing is... if you expect to be doing a workout in which you do not sweat/stink afterwards, you're doing the wrong workout in my opinion :)

Of course I expect to sweat, I just don't want to be wafting BO everywhere in the process.  The workouts are already at that level, but I'd like not to funk up the place.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
Of course I expect to sweat, I just don't want to be wafting BO everywhere in the process.  The workouts are already at that level, but I'd like not to funk up the place.

The alum (which is what the rock is) kills the bacteria that make your sweat smell like BO.  So you still sweat, but it shouldn't smell, which is what my experience has been.

I've been using rock deodorant for a few weeks now, and here's what I've noticed: At the end of the day/workout/whatever, I don't stink, but my undershirt does.

I've noticed that also, but only when I wear synthetics.  If I wear cotton or wool (I wear a lot of wool), the shirts don't smell, and I can wear them for many days (or even more than a week).  But I have some shirts that I wear to run in that are synthetic.  They seem to smell if I don't wash them right away.  No idea why, just an observation.  So I've just been gradually switching to more wool for working out.  If you have a wool shirt you might want to experiment just to see if that changes anything, or even cotton if you are using synthetics.

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
I second the vote for Homemade Deodorant. Over the past few years, I've tried just about every natural deodorant on the market (and spent a couple hundred dollars in the process), and NONE of them worked. Not even the rock.

Then I made my own-- NO stinking (despite many marathon training runs), and it costs less than a dollar to make (and lasts a few months!).
Basic Recipe:
¼ cup baking soda
¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
6 to 8 tablespoons coconut oil

It will be a bit liquidy in warmer temperatures and can solidify when its cold. Personally, I just popped it into an old Tom's roll-on container and that works fine; if it gets hard, I put it in a cup of hot water for about a minute and it's usable again.

Note: I actually found it a bit irritating to my skin at first, but some googling said to change the ratio to less baking soda and more cornstarch if that's the case. Worked perfectly. And since it's <$1 vs. the $4-$5 commercial deodorants, it's mustachian, too!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
I have tried the rock deodorant for a few weeks and it didn't work at all for me.  I was noticibly stinky from three or four feet.  This was the summer, and I tend to sweat quite a bit head to toe when I get heated.  Maybe it would need to be smeared over my entire body to work?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
I ended up making my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and a few essential oils.  It took a few tries but I have customized it for my own bodies needs and I can make it smell however I want.  I use a bit of tea tree oil for extra anti bacterial strength and a bit of lavender to even out the tea tree.  I infuse the coconut oil with chamomile to be extra soothing on my skin and have decreased the amount of baking soda.  There
This is what I am currently doing as well.pour mine into recycled empty tp tubes and just sort of unwind the cardboard as I need too. This works really well. I do keep mine in the fridge because one warm late August day my entire stick melted into a puddle in my bathroom. :(

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
This is what I am currently doing as well.pour mine into recycled empty tp tubes and just sort of unwind the cardboard as I need too. This works really well. I do keep mine in the fridge because one warm late August day my entire stick melted into a puddle in my bathroom. :(

I don't use a stick, I have a small glass jar and I just scrape out (or dip in depending on the temperature) what I need.  If I had to walk into the kitchen every time I was getting dressed I know I wouldn't use it. 

I don't take it with me on trips for fear of leaking, so I keep a travel size "regular" deodorant on hand for those times.

amustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »

The alum (which is what the rock is) kills the bacteria that make your sweat smell like BO.  So you still sweat, but it shouldn't smell, which is what my experience has been.

I've noticed that also, but only when I wear synthetics.  If I wear cotton or wool (I wear a lot of wool), the shirts don't smell, and I can wear them for many days (or even more than a week).  But I have some shirts that I wear to run in that are synthetic.  They seem to smell if I don't wash them right away.  No idea why, just an observation.  So I've just been gradually switching to more wool for working out.  If you have a wool shirt you might want to experiment just to see if that changes anything, or even cotton if you are using synthetics.

+1 for wool. I don't know that much about cotton, but I know wool has natural anti-bacterial properties, along with excellent breathability. Under Armour and such are essentially plastic, which is why the stink is easily perceived.

A good investment for winter bike commuters (I'm starting this week!) is a wool baselayer (Icebreaker, Ibex, Smartwool, etc). You won't stink nearly as much at the end of the ride and it regulates body temp much better than synthetics, so you won't sweat as much to begin with. This leads to shorter clean-up time at work. They are pricey, but Amazon sometimes has them at quite deep discounts (I got mine 40% off), so it's worth a look.