Author Topic: Quick forum browsing question...  (Read 3625 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Quick forum browsing question...
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
When I surf these forums on my phone, any thread I click shrinks the font of the thread link, and then I have to click it one more time to open the thread. I tried and failed to find some sort of setting in my profile. What's going on here? It's particularly annoying because my fingers having clicked the link correctly the first time often miss it the second time, causing me to back out of whatever link I mistakenly opened and to try again. How do I fix this? Can this be fixed?

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Quick forum browsing question...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
I would suggest using Tapatalk for forums on your phone. It works much better than web viewing.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The reason I've been avoiding the app is because in my experience it usually takes away some functionality I enjoy. Might need to step into the future (or present) here heheh.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
John, does anything from this thread ring true to what you're experiencing?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/wap2-version-font-size/

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »
When I surf these forums on my phone, any thread I click shrinks the font of the thread link, and then I have to click it one more time to open the thread. I tried and failed to find some sort of setting in my profile. What's going on here? It's particularly annoying because my fingers having clicked the link correctly the first time often miss it the second time, causing me to back out of whatever link I mistakenly opened and to try again. How do I fix this? Can this be fixed?

I've been seeing this for few months now, on my kindle fire (browser is Silk).  Drives me crazy to take 2 or more clicks to get to a thread:  first one shrinks the text, so I have to carefully place the next click (target moved, and VERY easy to hit some other link like the poster's name or thread above/below), the next click might select my target (or might not) or I have to start over if I miss.

Sometimes the entire page of boards is larger than normal, or smaller than normal (the size it gets shrunk down to with above problem).  Honestly, I'd prefer the larger font as default, the density of text makes it difficult not to fat finger things, and I have extremely thin fingers already.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
Never seen this.

What OS and browser?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
Whoa, just started noticing that tonight. Android 7.0 / Chrome. I know I'm using some zoom in the desktop, but I pinch/zoom in mobile.

Is not all the time, for example in this sub forum...

But it happened again... after first click: http://imgur.com/a/UjN9G
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:27:04 PM by neo von retorch »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
Could we have a serious discussion about how crappy the forum software is?

It's 2017 and there still isn't a good mobile version aside from the WAP link that doesn't show pictures at all and makes quotes unreadable.
There's also the huge banner that doesn't blend in at all and takes half of the screen on a normal page load, and that I blocked about 4 years ago to stay sane.
The ads are poorly integrated.
I'm pretty sure the search hasn't worked since I signed up in 2012.
There is no way to unsubscribe from threads, or do any sort of filtering aside from /unread and /unreadreplies, which are the only sane ways to navigate.

I understand that we are guests here and aren't owed a thing. Software is complex, and migrations even more so. But given the traffic that the forums generate, it'd be nice to have the site operators show us some love.

/rant

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:39 AM »
Yeah, that's a good point.

I could bring it up to MMM, I guess.

Change is always such a hassle.

I tend to keep the forum software upgraded (security patches and such), do smaller tweaks through plugins, but would need FTP access for more complex stuff, so it's not anything I'd typically do, and MMM sort of leaves us to do our own thing. :)

For now, any reports on this particular bug would be helpful.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.