Author Topic: Z-wave Home Automation  (Read 4225 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Z-wave Home Automation
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
I am wondering if anyone on here has experience with Z-wave home automation.

http://www.z-wave.com/modules/AboutZ-Wave/

It's not the most mustachian thing to spend money on, but it has some nifty abilities with heat/AC controls, home security, energy usage monitoring, home entertainment possbilities, and so on.  Start up costs can be as low as 200-300$ for a very simple system, but its one of those things that you could easily spend 1000, 2000, or more.

If anyone has tried using this in their home I would like to hear what you think.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Z-wave Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:08:23 AM »
I replied in the other security thread already, but:  no.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/13/wave_goodbye_to_security_with_zwave/

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
I replied in the other security thread already, but:  no.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/13/wave_goodbye_to_security_with_zwave/

Thanks for both of your replies, I had not seen the recent info regarding the Black hat.  Surprised that Schlage still offers zwave products after this has been exposed.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »
Z-Wave has had a very sordid lifespan with varying levels of insecurity. Even after introducing encryption to the network about five years ago with v.4, it's either not implemented at all, or done so poorly to a point that it might as well be open anyway.

ZigBee would be a better choice from a security standpoint if you absolutely must do home automation.

Also, what Spork posted.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:36:29 AM by I.P. Daley »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
A very wide generalization (which means take this with a grain of salt).  I've worked in some part of the network security side of things for almost 25 years.  The idea of connecting anything to the internet that doesn't need to be connected to function is just right out silly.  This goes for locks, appliances, thermostats, cars, and often even computers.

A basic premise of security is: least privilege.  I.e: always use the least amount of privilege needed for a particular task.

A basic premise of hacking is: pivot mercilessly.  In other words: more often than not one exploit can be used to pivot and lead to another.  I suspect most home automation will make awesome pivot points.

Regular old keyed hardware locks are hackable.  But these are known hacks... and require physical access.  (Hell, you can also throw a brick through the window).  But giving someone the ability to open your door from Bangladesh ... that's crazy.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »
A very wide generalization (which means take this with a grain of salt).  I've worked in some part of the network security side of things for almost 25 years.  The idea of connecting anything to the internet that doesn't need to be connected to function is just right out silly.  This goes for locks, appliances, thermostats, cars, and often even computers.

A basic premise of security is: least privilege.  I.e: always use the least amount of privilege needed for a particular task.

A basic premise of hacking is: pivot mercilessly.  In other words: more often than not one exploit can be used to pivot and lead to another.  I suspect most home automation will make awesome pivot points.

Regular old keyed hardware locks are hackable.  But these are known hacks... and require physical access.  (Hell, you can also throw a brick through the window).  But giving someone the ability to open your door from Bangladesh ... that's crazy.

Amen, brother.

The coming internet of things is just bat guano crazy to participate in.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
Thanks for the good points, don't think I will be adopting the technology anytime soon.  The gadget geek in me just thinks the premise is cool.