Author Topic: US Personal Savings Rate at 2.7 percent, March, 2013  (Read 5208 times)

frugalman

• Stubble
US Personal Savings Rate at 2.7 percent, March, 2013
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
I would be suicidal if my personal savings rate was this low.  I think this tells us, that, on average, Americans pretty much spend what they make.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: US Personal Savings Rate at 2.7 percent, March, 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »
Where did you pull the graph and claim from? Just out of curiousity.

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Does this savings rate include debt repayment, such as in the 50-30-20 plan, or is it strictly money put into a savings account?  Does investment allocations (such as 401(k) contributions) count as savings for this?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
Where did you pull the graph and claim from? Just out of curiousity.

Looking at the image url, some site called "ZeroHedge."  I went to their homepage and found this:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-29/spending-services-jumps-most-ever-incomes-disappoint-savings-rate-near-five-year-low
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
Zerohedge is a fun site.... Non-stop bear talk...not good if you don't like constant negativity but its good for a thrill and an alternative viewpoint.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »
Yeah I prefer digging further. For those that are interested - http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/national/pi/2013/pdf/pi0313.pdf the source for zerohedge.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »
Zerohedge is a fun site.... Non-stop bear talk...not good if you don't like constant negativity but its good for a thrill and an alternative viewpoint.

Alternative?  Seems like bear talk is much more common (on the internet) than bull...
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »

Alternative?  Seems like bear talk is much more common (on the internet) than bull...

I think "bull" makes up about 99% of the content on the interwebs, personally...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »

I think "bull" makes up about 99% of the content on the interwebs, personally...

Hah.  It took me a minute to see what you did there.

Well played, sir.

/nobull

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
It's government data and I think a lower savings rate is bullish.  It implies higher consumer confidence, and higher spending.

Joet

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
It's government data and I think a lower savings rate is bullish.  It implies higher consumer confidence, and higher spending.

agreed 100%, but I think a bit of a trailing indicator. It really shows you what consumers FELT about 6 months ago