Author Topic: MNVO Through Verizon  (Read 6609 times)

FIBy30

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
MNVO Through Verizon
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
I have discovered a way to cancel my verizon contract before it expires without a fee.  So, the next question is does anyone have a MNVO they recommend for Verizon?  I cannot find anything near the deal as MMM gets with Airvoice.  I would be perfectly content with this service as well.  Also, my current Verizon phone is Iphone 4S, but I am more than willing to buy a $130 AT&T IPhone 4 on craigslist that I have seen multiple times and just set up Airvoice this way. Also, is there anyway possible to get Airvoice through my current 4S or are there fundamental differences between AT&T phones and Verizon phones that will not allow it work?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: MNVO Through Verizon
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »
1) The only one worth a toss is Page Plus.

2) Page Plus does not officially allow iPhones on their network, nor do they support 4G LTE devices, Blackberry phones, Verizon prepaid devices, or any non-Verizon CDMA phone.

3) Not as far as I know (easily). The Verizon 4S can only be officially SIM unlocked for foreign GSM carriers (900/1800 bands). No slapping in a domestic AT&T or T-Mo MVNO card.

Best to visit the the first few posts of the Communications Superguide and maybe give the post on my blog concerning iPhones a gander before you sink any more money into this endeavor.

Additional resources, including this topic already being hashed over in detail:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/continue-the-blog-conversation/our-new-$10-00-per-month-iphone-plans/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/could-use-a-little-help-swapping-cell-plans/

Finally, don't imitate MMM just because he did it... he did it because what he chose works for him. Research and find the best solution for your situation, that's why I created the superguide. You might be surprised to find that going Airvoice with an iPhone might not necessarily work for you or be the most frugal solution for your needs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:09:04 AM by I.P. Daley »

michael

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
I second PagePlus. You cannot use an ATT device on a Verizon network, and vise versa, because the internal hardware is different.

You shouldn't have any problem using your Verizon 4S on PagePlus, though. This is what my sister did a few months back and had no trouble. Check the guide recommended by IP Daley, and also check out kittywireless, which is a service front for PagePlus and can help get everything squared away for you (though they probably wont want to help with your iPhone, but its not that hard).

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
Ugh.  I should probably get this squared away soon. 

Anyone know about porting numbers to pageplus?  My sister is the primary on the account and I have no clue how that works. 

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »
It should be pretty easy to activate. Go here, https://www.pagepluscellular.com/activate/phone-activation-with-port/. Fill in the info and see if you can make it work. If you need something you dont have you can call Verizon and they should be able to give it to you. If you need more help you can pm me and I can help.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:48:57 AM »
Well heck. I didn't expect it to be that easy. Thanks!

Senor Smallchange Soulpatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
Verizon phones only work on Verizon infrastructure.  They use a technology called CDMA, while Airvoice and most of the MVNOs that are worth a damn use a technology called GSM. 

If you can really get an unlocked GSM iPhone 4 for $130 I would jump on it.  You could easily sell your Verizon 4S for way more than that.  The unlocked GSM phone will give you a ton more options (many of which could be cheaper than PagePlus depending on your usage pattern), and switching GSM carriers is as easy as swapping out a SIM card.

With your 4S your options are Verizon and PagePlus.  I ported an off-contract Verizon Android phone over to PP a couple months back and it was as easy as could be, just follow the directions on their website.  I was up and running on PP in about 30 minutes all told.  I've been satisfied with their $29.95/month plan so far considering that it's about 25% of what Verizon was costing me.  That said, when this phone dies I'm getting a GSM phone.  That way I can easily switch MVNO's in case one starts jerking me around or there is simply a better deal for me elsewhere.  The other thing to consider for you is I.P. Daley's point that iPhones are not officially allowed on PP.  Plenty of people are doing it, but there is a slim chance that they could boot your iPhone off the network at any time, causing you to lose your number.  If losing your current number is a catastrophe I wouldn't risk it.  Especially since long term you're way better off ditching CDMA and going with GSM anyway.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
So, since nobody else asked...

How are you avoiding the ETFs?

I switched from Verizon to PagePlus last month and paid $420 (for two phones).  I sold my Galaxy Nexus for half of that which made it hurt slightly less, but still.  Its probably too late for my anyhow.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »

The only way I know and am aware of getting out for free is through declining a change in the terms of service, but that results in termination of service on the spot from what I understood and still doesn't clear the ESN.

I, too, am curious.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

The only way I know and am aware of getting out for free is through declining a change in the terms of service, but that results in termination of service on the spot from what I understood and still doesn't clear the ESN.

I, too, am curious.
i also want to know pretty please as i have verizon as well

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
I don't k now how OP got out but I know when my wife left for Taiwan for a year they let us out of our contract with no fees. I don't remember if we need to show them a contract or not. Of course that was before smart phones so they didnt have as much at stake. I have since used those phone for PP so I am sure they had a clean ESN. I dont know for sure but if you cancel when the contract changes I think ESN would be clean.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »
My most recent contract is up in a couple of months, if it's not up already.  I'd know for sure if I wasn't so lazy.