Author Topic: OK, now I'm pissed!  (Read 4684 times)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
OK, now I'm pissed!
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »
My DW is like a bloodhound for good real estate deals.  We live in a largish home in a nice neighborhood but our children are getting ready to move on so we have been looking for something smaller and, well, more mustachian.

On Saturday, she found it!  An older home on 2.5 acres which is just what we are looking for.  Perfect place for bees, the garden, a couple of outbuildings for the (too many) cars, etc. etc.  We contacted an agent from the listing agent's office to set up a time to look at the place AND BUY IT.  Did I mention that it was listed for 30K?

Unfortunately, I had to leave on a business trip on Monday morning and DW doesn't get home until 6 PM.  God forbid you should show a house at 630!  So, I emailed the guy today and told him to set up a time on Thursday that would work for his oh-so-busy schedule.  He responded back to say there is now an accepted offer and that he is sorry.

Sorry, indeed.

I know it really isn't his fault (or anybody's) but I am still a little steamed over the whole thing.  Maybe next time!!

Thanks for listening to my sob story.  That is all.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: OK, now I'm pissed!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »
Complainy pants much? Life isn't always fair.

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Maybe something better is yet to be found...   or that one has unforeseen foundation problems...  one never knows.   Great find, better luck next time. :)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
Complainy pants much? Life isn't always fair.

Yes, you're right.  I was just blowing off a little steam.  It really was the perfect place for us.  Anyway, as my friend likes to say, "The deal of the century comes along once a week!"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Anyway, as my friend likes to say, "The deal of the century comes along once a week!"

That's from one of Gary Keller's books (The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, IIRC, but it may have been Agent).  Well worth reading if you're into RE.

EDIT: Looked it up and apparently it was Dolf De Roos.  My mistake.  Still, read Keller anyways.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
Thanks, Reb.  I didn't think my buddy was sharp enough to come up with that on his own!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
Thanks, Reb.  I didn't think my buddy was sharp enough to come up with that on his own!

If someone else said it better, might as well use their words.

Reminds me of a quote I just made up: "Good artists borrow, great artists steal." -arebelspy

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Anyway, as my friend likes to say, "The deal of the century comes along once a week!"

This is so true. Last month we put in a full price offer on a place 4 days before it technically went on the market, and still lost it to another full price offer that was all cash. It's just the nature of the game. Another place will come along for you...

chatsc

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
I live in Ontario and I still find it insane that anything can be listed for 30K.  a vacant piece of land beside a garbage dump isnt 30k.  a piece of leased land with an 80s trailer on it in a trailer park is like 50K here, if that cheap.  A new car is barely 30K after taxes. 

different worlds....

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
I live in Ontario and I still find it insane that anything can be listed for 30K.  a vacant piece of land beside a garbage dump isnt 30k.  a piece of leased land with an 80s trailer on it in a trailer park is like 50K here, if that cheap.  A new car is barely 30K after taxes. 

different worlds....

yup..tiny parking spot/dilapidated garage was for sale for $100k recently close to someone I know in Toronto.

A shack (err..renovator's dream) on a tiny lot (20 x 50?) costs about $500k

How can anyone get ahead? Besides moving-hahaha

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!