Author Topic: 4 Straight Weeks of No Alcohol Whatsoever  (Read 26538 times)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
4 Straight Weeks of No Alcohol Whatsoever
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
I just finished a self-imposed 4 week dry period this week as a personal challenge.  Not only did I not spend any money on booze, I lost about 10 pounds, totally effort free, just cut out the beer/wine/liquor.  To top it all off, after finishing, my first beer after the dry spell wasn't even all that great, so I figure a cutback in alcohol intake will remain...probably won't go completely dry, but I don't think I'll be "enjoying" a beer after work so often anymore...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: 4 Straight Weeks of No Alcohol Whatsoever
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
Congrats, I'm considering a dry April after a very very wet March.  Hopefully I'll lose some weight.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:07 AM »
Well done! Abstinence periods get addictive. I first went one month, then three, then six months off the booze over a period of three years. Each time, I found that I increasingly enjoyed not drinking and now when I do drink it is very rarely and moderately. While I've saved a fortune as a side effect, the main thing I think I've saved is myself!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:24:01 AM by Ozstache »

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »
A self-imposed dry period definitely lowered my general desire for alcohol. I gave up drinking when my wife was three months pregnant. Since she gave birth two months ago I think we've had a glass of wine on two occasions and both times it felt kind of forced.

While I never spent that much on alcohol for the home I'm definitely seeing savings when it comes to bar outings.

The lack of hangovers is certainly nice as well.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:20 AM »
Congrats!

I had a lot of problems with alcohol and prescription drugs last year, so in September 2012 I quit drinking. Since then I've had two drinks, both on New Year's Eve, and I haven't missed it at all. I've always understood that alcohol was straight-up poison and anathema to good health, but not until I resolved to stop altogether did I notice how much more clear and even my physical and mental state has been. It's definitely worth it!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
I've always understood that alcohol was straight-up poison and anathema to good health...

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise.  Drinking in moderation is actually associated with good health.

That said: I in no way want to imply someone *should* drink if they feel better doing otherwise -- or if they'd just rather not.   I've known my share of alcoholics and there is nothing about alcoholism that is remotely healthy.

JahWontPaytheBills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »
I have saved a bundle by quitting drinking. My drinking was by no means 'normal' however. Next month it will have been a year since my last drink. Woohoo!

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
I've always understood that alcohol was straight-up poison and anathema to good health...

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise.  Drinking in moderation is actually associated with good health.

That said: I in no way want to imply someone *should* drink if they feel better doing otherwise -- or if they'd just rather not.   I've known my share of alcoholics and there is nothing about alcoholism that is remotely healthy.

I stand corrected.

Also:

http://stronglifts.com/alcohol-strength-training/

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
2 1/2 years of  no alcohol for me.  I was at problem level but just stopped it on my own, no AA.

Benefits:
Helps with weight control.
No hangovers.
Liver likes it.
I like being clear headed
Saves a lot of money
I'm always the designated driver for DW when we go out together
No chance of DUI arrest

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
I just finished a self-imposed 4 week dry period this week as a personal challenge.  Not only did I not spend any money on booze, I lost about 10 pounds, totally effort free, just cut out the beer/wine/liquor. 

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, how much were you drinking?

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
I'm 58, and while I don't think I was an alcoholic, I could easily increase my drinking if I chose.

Also, when I was drinking, I started to act on my thoughts. And with a few drinks, the results might not be good.

Most important, if I have one drink, it elevates my blood pressure.

So I haven't had a drink since last July. Sometimes I have a big desire for a beer (a few weeks ago I was in downtown Las Vegas on a Friday night). No AA for me either and for the most part, I've been very happy with my decision.

When I step back and look at life with alcohol and life without it, it's indisputable life is better without it. And it might sound like I was a big drinker, but I usually maxed out after 3 to 4 beers.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:59:35 PM by mikefixac »

odput

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
I just finished a self-imposed 4 week dry period this week as a personal challenge.  Not only did I not spend any money on booze, I lost about 10 pounds, totally effort free, just cut out the beer/wine/liquor. 

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, how much were you drinking?

About once per weekend I'd binge to the tune of 7-8 drinks. During the week it was maybe 1 or 2 drinks if I'd had a long day at work, maybe twice per week, so add it all up to about a 12 pack per week.  On my first week back to normal I haven't had any yet during the week...so positive progress already!

destron

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
About once per weekend I'd binge to the tune of 7-8 drinks. During the week it was maybe 1 or 2 drinks if I'd had a long day at work, maybe twice per week, so add it all up to about a 12 pack per week.  On my first week back to normal I haven't had any yet during the week...so positive progress already!

Yeah, I have noticed that, as I get older, drinking 7-8 drinks in one go becomes a worse and worse idea. Although I am not a heavy drinker, I do drink pretty regularly -- but only 1-2 drinks (usually beer) 2-4 times a week. This is well over the MMM drinking limit, I know! However, I mostly drink my own homebrew so it is not a significant cost for me and the drinking also revolves around my hobby. If I can't drink the beer, I can't make more...

The strangest thing is that I have become unable to get drunk. What I mean by this is that, even if I set out to get drunk one night, my natural inclination now is to drink so slowly that I never get there. I think my subconscious brain is telling my body it does not want to deal with a hangover later. 

ny.er

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Congratulations! My husband and I have identified our daily wine habit as next in line to cut, since we're currently spending $75.00+ monthly. I drink white wine as much for the sweetness as for the calming effects, and tend to overdue it at times, so cutting back should help the waist line too!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
2 1/2 years of  no alcohol for me.  I was at problem level but just stopped it on my own, no AA.

Benefits:
Helps with weight control.
No hangovers.
Liver likes it.
I like being clear headed
Saves a lot of money
I'm always the designated driver for DW when we go out together
No chance of DUI arrest
Don't feel so blotzed after dinner, even though it was "only two beers".
Don't have to get up in the middle of the night.  Several times.
Don't have my liver dumping a bunch of sugar into my bloodstream on the midwatch.
Feel more like exercising.
It's also much more entertaining at dinners & parties to watch how the drinkers behave!

odput

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
It was funny to see the HUGE difference in the people who weren't drinking very heavily and the people who ended up getting smashed...most of the time the more sober people ended up annoyed with the very drunk people

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Yeah the last two times I've drank, they definitely felt like why bother moments.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »
Yeah the last two times I've drank, they definitely felt like why bother moments.

You're doing it wrong :-)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »

I'm with you.  I used to enjoy a drink now and then.  I've completely lost interest now.  Had one recently and thought exactly the same thing "why bother"...

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

You're doing it wrong :-)

Or I'm just doing the rest of the time right ;)

Bit hungover after 30th bday party. Going 1 month dry, we'll see how it goes.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
Since I started training 5-6 days of week I have really cut back drinking. As I hang out with people that also train 5-6 days of the week my alcohol habits reflects theirs. You can take a glass of vine or maybe two on special occasions but that is mostly the limit as you know that you are going to train next day.

Nowadays, I can make a glass or two of vine last really long. After a while people don't even notice that you are not drinking as they have reached their limit or gone above. I actually think it is quite embarrassing watching adults get drunk as most of them can't control themselves 100% or are simply being even more annoying then they are sober.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
Had a few tempting times to drink (late night Courvoisier, beers during an emotional day on Sunday) but have been good so far.

Really enjoyed exercising the willpower muscle.

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
Since you're feeling comfortable, try reading "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr. http://openlibrary.org/works/OL7969687W/The_Easy_Way_to_Stop_Drinking

It's a truly amazing book.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
It's difficult in this town. We drink like fish when we socialize. Plus in my early / mid-twenties I was pretty well known in the party scene, definitely had a few people give me a look when I've turned down a drink or ordered a coke in a bar.. and I'm only 1 week in.

Ahh social pressure.

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
When they look at you funny for not drinking, that is your cue to talk about how you don't have cable TV.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
Oh most of my friends know that.

I'm part of that new generation - computers/internet only, no cable, no car, no TV.

My Dad was talking about my stepbrother's Xbox use putting his internet bill at like 200-300 bucks a month. I just shook my head haha.

odput

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
The peer pressure does get a little out of hand sometimes...especially being still in your twenties.  A few of my friends are still in college and drinking together is almost the only form of socializing. It's all just good exercise for your frugality muscle ;)

destron

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:59 AM »
When they look at you funny for not drinking, that is your cue to talk about how you don't have cable TV.

Ha, this is true -- the only thing about not drinking is that, it seems to me, people might judge you as if you quit because you are an alcoholic. But I say screw 'em.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
Nice!  I did a year of no drinking maybe two or three years ago.  I was working a number of different jobs and hanging out with different social groups so there would be multiple occasions a week for drinking, not just the 'TGIF let's grab a drink with co-workers' situation I imagine for most non-partiers.  Since there wasn't any one situation that was causing the problem it was tough to just cut back.  A beer once in awhile with roommates isn't the problem, so why teetotal there?  Why decide not to drink at wrap parties when that's when the alcohol is free??  This friend group is going to feel like I'm holding back if I say I'm not drinking because I am combating a general overall trend in my life of too regular drinking even though I drank with my roommates on Thursday and then drank at a wrap part on Friday...  So rather than wasting energy picking and choosing, I realized it would be much less effort to just go cold turkey.  Between a back injury that required lots of ibuprofen and then a bad cold, I think I was already one month into not drinking purely by accident when I made the decision to just keep going.  But yeah, the worst part was when I explained to people that I wasn't drinking simply because I'd decided not to drink for a year and they'd get this totally trying-not-to-look-concerned look on their faces, like, "Good for you!  And, hey, how are you doing?  We should hang out some time,  'cause, you know, I'm there for you, buddy, you know that, right?" 

I did find my mood was a little elevated and my memory improved a bit.  Not a huge deal.  The ease of having simply not to think about it might have been the best thing.  I imagine it's like that thing single-speed bike advocates talk about their minds being clear and just focused on the ride and the road free of distractions.  Social events are more fun when you're not worrying about your drink selection and the cost. ("Should I have a beer?  Do they have IPAs here?  I kind of want to try something new but I think I've tried all the local ones here so maybe I should just get the Sierra Nevada like usual.  No, I had a big dinner, I won't be able to drink more than one beer so maybe I should get a mixed drink.  I can't do shots, I won't feel anything from that and it's not as social cuz it's not like you can carry a shot glass around in your hand suavely.  If I get a sugary drink I'll definitely get drunk, but maybe too drunk?  It's so hard to predict.  Okay, I'll get a vodka tonic.  But damn, that's like 8 bucks for vodka.  and tonic.  Shit would cost me like 2 bucks at home.  I feel like I should get a complicated cocktail just to get my money's worth."  And then you have to sort out how you're paying, whether you're on one bill with friends or doing rounds or individually and if the place takes credit cards or if the place takes credit cards but secretly thinks you're a douche for it, and whether you have enough ones for tips, and then the rest of the evening is basically spent monitoring your level of drunkenness and worrying about whether to have another sip, whether to have some water, whether to order another drink in which case you need to start the whole process over again and then you have to start dealing with having to go to the bathroom... All of which leads me to conclude that the drinking scene in New York is a result of people really hating to spend time with each other so they use the overwhelming amount of detail involved to distract themselves.)  One-speed bikes, though, that shit's stupid.  If you want to 'feel the road' and be free from distractions so badly maybe you should try walking.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
I also think it can be a good idea to take a break from anything for a while.  It can really give you an enhanced appreciation for things.  Having gone on month-long hikes, I can say that you can quickly distinguish which aspects of civilization you really miss and what you've been doing just out of habit/expectation.