Author Topic: You Know You're Getting Mustachian When..  (Read 84089 times)

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
Re: You Know You're Getting Mustachian When..
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
... you're seeing the financial adviser to confirm calculations you have done yourself on your golden handshake entitlements and it turns out that you have more impressive and accurate spreadsheets than they do.

This is a good one. Through my getting out of debt I started working with a financial adviser. I can't wait for our next yearly check-up! :)

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
... your roommate and you, when joking about your future offspring getting married, laugh about how family reunions will be planned around groupon sales.

... you actually know what is in your freezer.

... you look at pictures from college and realize just how old your jacket is, and are pleased with how well it is holding up.

... you factor in whether or not you would have to spend time/money on makeup when considering job offers.

... you are baffled on why someone would pay $60/hour for a personal trainer, before trying out the effectiveness of a fitness program from a book.

... you have a special account for Potential Future Offspring Expenses that you contribute to monthly... even though you are unmarried and have an IUD.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
... you're seeing the financial adviser to confirm calculations you have done yourself on your golden handshake entitlements and it turns out that you have more impressive and accurate spreadsheets than they do.
This happened to me, my bank invited me to meet with their financial advisor. I listened to him for a while and started mentioning the 5 year Roth rollover strategy, he asked what it was, asked what FIRECalc was, etc. Never heard from him again.

Freeyourchains

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
Minecraft hobby becomes your only PC game, as you click download on more and more free and popular community based mods, then make a dedicated server from donated computers, as you sell excess parts to those whom don't need to upgrade their pcs, only make them slightly faster.

Not only do you get to play minecraft and take computers apart and put them back together, your cashflow and demand keeps increasing...

Freeyourchains

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »
...you brokerage sends you your first 1099-DIV Form.

...you owe no taxes, because you are retired at age 35, with your long term dividend rates at 0% because your dividend income is under $35,500, with expenses around $8k, and when your expenses have dropped another $3k, because you don't work anymore. The government thinks you are poor and offers help, because they have no concept of frugality.

...you find old solar panels in the "recyclable's" bin at a electronics store that they threw out anyway (after picking through it for items they could refurbish to the consumers).

Freeyourchains

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
When your visit Tokyo, and realize how minimalistic the Japanese have to be.

They have one room that does the functions of 8 for a house.

Their semi-trucks are only as big as an F150, and more fuel efficient.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
It's lunchtime at work, and you think, "Hooray! Leftovers again!" because everything you cook is delicious.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
You've taken to freezing your leftovers the night before so you can avoid the office fridge because your lunch was stolen once this year and you had to (gasp!) buy food  -- but only because your office oatmeal stash ran out the day before and it wasn't grocery day yet.

pattertall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
...when driving, you find yourself coming to a stop at a green light because you are more used to looking at the crosswalk signal than the stoplight.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
... you can't justify buying a 25 dollar cookbook because you know you can probably just find as good recipes on the internet.

Scrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
When you can answer immediately what are the sums spent from each of your budget categories last year, last month etc. It's a funny moment when you notice to know them exactly when others have no clue even on what they spend on groceries in a year.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
I like the idea of labeling your food in the company frig.  it sucks when you've made a great meal and somebody takes it!!  I love this thread!  I look at it whenever I feel down.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
....you get mad and frustrated when your electricity bill goes up $15 and you are still 80% below the average household.

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »
When you buy an Ivy hat on clearance for $5, bring it home, then remember that you have one in storage that you bought in 1998, prompting the return of the Ivy hat for a refund.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
...when the $.99 store is your favorite store for groceries.

Love the comments. You guys are too funny.

Taryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
I threw some of my older dry clean only sweaters in the washing machine then drip dried them. Most turned out fine. The 2 others are now on their way to Good Will.  No more dry cleaning for me.  This was my second step towards FI since becoming a reader in 2013.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:59 AM »
I almost gave in and bought a new vacuum when my Hoover vacuum seemed too expensive to have fixed.  But since I have adopted a mustachian lifestyle I was determined to fix it myself even after Hoover wouldn't sell me the part I needed. (They said I had to send in my vacuum for servicing for my particular issue).  So, i researched my problem, found parts at Sears for $10 and even found a Youtube video on how to fix the particular problem.  After installing a new control cable and activator arm it works like new...and I saved money! Always try to fix it, before you replace it.

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:23 AM »
... you are shocked when you see posters for "food products" advertised as healthy stuff to eat.

... you can't imagine how people spend so much money.

kt

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2013, 07:44:24 AM »
.. you can't answer surveys.
i sometimes answer surveys if they turn up when i have time but often i have nothing to say in them as i don't know the products, haven't seen the adverts and simply don't care.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
... you buy your own cinnamon in bulk, grind at home and bring to work for your coffee.

melidesau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
...you buy three pairs of pants and a skirt at Value Village and feel extravagant and spendy.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »
....you raid your kid's closet because he's now taller than you and you KNOW you'll fit it his clothes!!

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
And the number one answer is...

1. "you are too cheap to buy razors!"...BA DUM issshh

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:34:40 PM by Rich M »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
I just ate my coworker's leftovers from the fridge because it was sitting there for over a day and I think he forgot about it. Waste not want not.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
I just ate my coworker's leftovers from the fridge because it was sitting there for over a day and I think he forgot about it. Waste not want not.

I think you should have asked. Without asking, that borders on cheap instead of frugal.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
Someone did that to me once.  What a jerk!  I sometimes bring in enough food for 2-3 lunches at once, and eat a bit every day until they are gone.  Please don't ever do this again.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Someone did that to me once.  What a jerk!  I sometimes bring in enough food for 2-3 lunches at once, and eat a bit every day until they are gone.  Please don't ever do this again.

+1

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

Theft is not Mustachian. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

Theft is not Mustachian.

Please let this one be a joke.  We do weekly fridge cleanings... Daily would be excessive.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
Wow! Let's not put a stake through this poor guys heart!  Let's assume the best of our fellow man!  So you knew this guy wasn't going to eat his lunch, sure eat it for him.  I always bring my lunch but at times the kitchen has left overs and I can eat from there.  We can do that.  So I either leave my lunch there for tomorrow or I take it home and eat it that night. 

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2013, 02:06:02 AM »

Theft is not Mustachian.

Please let this one be a joke.  We do weekly fridge cleanings... Daily would be excessive.

It's the principle of the matter.  You know it doesn't belong to you, so what does it hurt to ask if you can have it?

I've worked in many offices were lunches were stolen out of fridges and it gets people upset.   A few All-Hands meetings reserved time to remind people not to take lunches that didn't belong to them.

What is it called to take something that doesn't belong to you?  Theft.

If you think it will go to waste, then ask if you can have it.  If the owner gives it to you, then it is not theft. 

A dictionary definition if you doubt that the word applies here:

"Theft: To take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

Anyway, back to ... You Know You're Getting Mustachian When...

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 04:38:56 AM »
... you see the obvious lies/logical fallacies of advertising and think "Nobody would ever believe that!"

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Wow, I was not expecting such a response from you guys. I know the guy who's leftovers I took. He eats out every day, and doesn't keep food in the fridge. The leftovers sat on his desk all afternoon and evening Wednesday because he forgot about them.

At some point after he left the office he remembered and texted me to put them in the fridge for him. I did, and Thursday night I noticed that they were still there. It wasn't even enough for a meal. At this point I decided to eat them because I knew we were going to be out of the office on Friday and then the fridge would be cleaned.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
You turn down a free cab ride because you really enjoy your runs home from work.

Dianas Report

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 12:13:54 AM »
You make your husband and son split a foot long sub 3 ways with me to avoid having to buy another one. hahaha

Why eat out when you have plenty of healthy stuff at home?

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43:17 AM »
...even though you've been bringing your lunch to work every day for months, you still join your coworkers when they occasionally go out to eat as a group... but only for the conversation. You still eat back at the office.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
...even though you've been bringing your lunch to work every day for months, you still join your coworkers when they occasionally go out to eat as a group... but only for the conversation. You still eat back at the office.

Haha, I do this. I'll go down to the cafeteria to eat with my co-workers occasionally. They'll all spend $5-$9 on lunch and I'll be the only one with the brown bag as they have their trays full of unhealthy things.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
Your friend asks to meet for lunch at Panera. While she orders at the counter you scope out the table situation and, when her food is delivered, commence eating what you stashed in your purse.

Peter

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
...you intend to retire the same year as your dad. (That should be a fun, awkward conversation :) )

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
...you intend to retire the same year as your dad. (That should be a fun, awkward conversation :) )

This might happen to me too! We'll see :) I don't think it'll be that awkward on my end and my dad really likes working (he has his own business).

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
... your free initial session with your financial adviser concludes with "You don't really need me. And why are you still working?" :-)

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2013, 03:45:39 AM »
... you see the obvious lies/logical fallacies of advertising and think "Nobody would ever believe that!"

My favorite: Buy one, get one free, or: Now with 20% more free!

You want to buy assets/stocks more then you want to buy -liabilities-.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
I threw some of my older dry clean only sweaters in the washing machine then drip dried them. Most turned out fine. The 2 others are now on their way to Good Will.  No more dry cleaning for me.  This was my second step towards FI since becoming a reader in 2013.

You know, you can do a trick with conditioner to un-shrink a sweater that has been shrunk in the wash.  http://www.ehow.com/how_7281857_unshrink-merino-wool.html

scottwes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

This might happen to me too! We'll see :) I don't think it'll be that awkward on my end and my dad really likes working (he has his own business).

I'm aiming for 35, he's aiming for 65, both in 2019!

Sebastian

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
you look at people in new cars/expensive brands and laugh at the fact that you no longer think they are "affluent individuals" but poor souls that are broke

you look at people riding bikes and think wow that guy is probably loaded with money

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
... your free initial session with your financial adviser concludes with "You don't really need me. And why are you still working?" :-)

And did you have a good answer to that question?

aaronhann85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
... you buy your own cinnamon in bulk, grind at home and bring to work for your coffee.

That's a great idea! After discovering ERE and MMM about 8 months ago I traded honey on my oats for cinnamon sugar - much healthier and cheaper as you only need a minute amount to add flavour.

3 months ago I thought I was getting clever when I bought caster sugar and a large packet of ground cinnamon to combine into cinnamon sugar. $1.57 for 25g of cinnamon and $1.29 for 500g caster sugar makes enough for several years! Much better than the alternative of paying monthly $1.83 for 69g ready-made or $6+ for honey.

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »
...You must regularly bite your tongue to get through any financial advice offered to you by your parents, while simultaneously running simulations about what to do when they figure out they're fucked.

+1

+1

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »

I'm aiming for 35, he's aiming for 65, both in 2019!

I retired. Dad's still working. I make up jobs like "consultant" to avoid family issues.

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
-you have 10 tabs open on things you want to read that is linked from here and you spent 4 hours reading before you know it, and had fun doing it

-you get 50% off at the hospital cafeteria, but you still walk home at lunch because you think that is still too expensive

-you calculate how many bottles of homemade windex your bottles of ammonia and alcohol from the dollar store will make

-people call you weird and you smile and say 'thank you' :)