Author Topic: Furnace repair hint that I learned today  (Read 2501 times)

babysteps

• Stubble
Furnace repair hint that I learned today
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
Our furnace went on sabbatical today, and I learned something from our HVAC friend that I didn't know (and didn't find in my 4 minute online search before I called said friend).

On newer furnaces there is usually a blinking status light on the control board.  If something goes wrong, see if that light is blinking in a pattern.  Watch for a few repeats so you know the pattern for sure, then check - there is usually a sticker/label inside the furnace with a key for the status lights.

Somehow I feel like I "should" already have known this (I'm semi-handy and have repaired our washing machine on my own...) but I didn't & I didn't see it in my search of this forum.  Hope it can save someone some $

(insert face-punch for not having gone furnace-free... but it is below freezing here today, so maybe wait until a warmer day for the punch...)

Our specific issue was a pressure switch, it is very windy today and our exhaust doesn't have an elbow on it (it will tomorrow), so if the wind is blowing into the exhaust our gas furnace won't fire up because it won't be able to vent properly.  HVAC friend reset the switch by turning off the furnace for a few minutes, then back on - pressure switch read okay, and furnace fired up.

Kazimieras

• Stubble
Re: Furnace repair hint that I learned today
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
I've had that similar pressure problem before.. very annoying. Thanks for the tips :)

And no punch in the face for having a furnance. Some places in the world are cold enough (or laws don't allow for alternatives) that it is essential. My house would turn into an ice cube without one!

babysteps

• Stubble
Re: Furnace repair hint that I learned today
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
I've had that similar pressure problem before.. very annoying. Thanks for the tips :)

And no punch in the face for having a furnance. Some places in the world are cold enough (or laws don't allow for alternatives) that it is essential. My house would turn into an ice cube without one!

Glad this might help! 

We have now added an elbow to the end of our exhaust vent (2" pvc) to help shield from wind.  Apparently many installers leave this off (cost? laziness? who knows...).  If you add one, go for the wider-radius elbows, they impede the airflow less.

I am now feeling even better about the insulation that we put in when we moved, just some extra rolls in the attic (nothing fancy) - furnace was off for about 17 hours total, outside temp was 31f initially, down to 21f overnight, and our inside temp went from 68f to 56f with no furnace heat.  We didn't even use the extra blankets I put at our feet (well, we did wear hats to sleep so that helped).  We do have a major indulgence in our bathroom - tile warmers ("feet heat"), which I re-set to stay on all night so that might have helped a little (a very little, it's only about 3sf of warmed tile/total bathroom is just under 5'x7').