Author Topic: I'm 23, Living In A Historic Home in a Beautiful Neighborhood - For Free  (Read 4203 times)

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
I thought this was worth sharing.

When I was growing up I was always doing "badass" things.  I worked hard, saved money, invested money, and lived life with no regrets.  My first job off the farm (I literally grew up on a farm) was for a vineyard at age 14.  I grew a relationship with the boss and he also hired me to help him renovate and open a restaurant.  While going to college, he informed me that he owned a spare house in our state's capital (close to my college).  He also asked if I would like to live there.

Recently I read the article about MMM and his family wintering in Hawaii.  He said that we live in a society where we have all sorts of made up rules.  He said we don't have to accept ideas like "living in Hawaii is expensive."  We create the reality in our lives.  MMM is right again because this is how I am living mine.  I live in a great home in a perfect neighborhood for free.  My boss wanted to help out a local boy and he wasn't interested in a monetary gain.  Heck, my neighbor even shovels my driveway, tends to all the yard work, and he gave me his password to his wi-fi.  I offer to help of course, but you know how that is.  He does it all because he gets to park his extra car on the driveway (I don't even know...).  What I'm saying is that if you're not happy with your current situation, smile and then make something happen!

This house will likely go on the market in the next year.  If I don't buy it, I will be looking for a new place to live.  I'm already working on leads.

What's your housing situation?  Do you have mine beat?  Do you help an older lady maintain her house in exchange for a room upstairs?  Do you live in a VW bus?  Let's hear about it!

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I'm 23, Living In A Historic Home in a Beautiful Neighborhood - For Free
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
I don't think I could beat your situation monetarily, but in terms of happiness, I'm off the charts!  I live in a huge studio apartment which is 7 minutes' walk from my office, with a large balcony and the opportunity to use the rooftop deck to grow veggies, for $503 a month, utilities included.  I'm 10 minutes' walk from the downtown core, the Festival District (yay Montreal!), markets, restaurants, cafes, etc. and most importantly I absolutely love my apartment.  I'm 57 and don't plan on moving. Ever. 

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
I was a house-sitter for almost a year - it was terrific, but I felt massively awkward asking for a new A/C when one of the two window units broke (this was a serious problem). Otherwise, it was a lovely situation and really helped get my savings going.

Congrats, and just be sure to "pay rent" to the bank!

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
I was a house-sitter for almost a year - it was terrific, but I felt massively awkward asking for a new A/C when one of the two window units broke (this was a serious problem). Otherwise, it was a lovely situation and really helped get my savings going.

Congrats, and just be sure to "pay rent" to the bank!

I bet it was awkward but hey, no one should own a house if they aren't prepared to pay maintenance. 

How did you score that house, anyway?

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
I bet it was awkward but hey, no one should own a house if they aren't prepared to pay maintenance. 

How did you score that house, anyway?

Hmnn, I should have thought of it that way. On the other hand, it helped me very quickly become more adapted to the summers around here. I scored it because a former professor of mine had a long sabbatical - there was actually a monetary advantage to having been a good student! It was a really nice deal though and really helped me kick start my savings and take a big trip. It's amazing how many people will help you if you're just available and have a good reputation.

kt

incredible! i've read a few blogs by people who've managed to sort free housing but it never seems possible to me. but props to you!