Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1650283 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #500 on: March 01, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »
We hit two major milestones this month!! We reached $100,000 in assets (only counting cash, retirement accounts, and mutual/index funds). At the same time, we finally broke into the negative five figures for our net worth (our student loans are ridiculous). We're still a long ways from zero net worth, but we're getting there.

Awesome!  :D

Those are two great milestones.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
I closed my mortgage refinance this morning, to a 10-year fixed-rate loan at 2.39%!  (I had 16 years left on my previous loan.)  This is significant for two reasons:
1.  I'll fully own my house in 10 years (or less, though at that low rate I don't think I want to prepay much)
2.  Compared to my previous loan, I'll save $88,000$45,000 in mortgage interest over those 10 years

(correction:  mathy error.   oops!  still a nice amount)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:07:31 AM by Cherry Lane »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: March 01, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »
Nice job, Cherry Lane!!

My celebration for today is that my cash plus investments (retirement funds, Roth, inherited IRA) have exceeded $300,000 this week!

Also, since 9/14/13 (when I first started keeping track of all this), my cash plus investments amount has increased $41,000 and my total debt has decreased $13,000.  Yay--both going in the correct direction!

jordanread

« Reply #503 on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
Awesome, everyone!!!
My celebration is that I have a new daily driver. Haven't sold the 16MPG jeep yet, but just picked up an 88 Sentra, that gets 33MPG!! Engine is in top shape, and only have about $300 to get it to where it'll last another 5 years. $800 total!!
Plus, and this is a big one, finally got the SO on board with reducing our very unmustachain fleet of gas guzzlers. We're going to sell the jeep,  and the pathfinder, and then share the new Sentra.

gripped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
Wow, that's more than a mini-accomplishment silvie!

My accomplishment:
I got a 2nd roommate and now all 3 bedrooms are filled in my house!! That means an extra $450/ month going directly to the stache!

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #505 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:26 AM »
Wow, that's more than a mini-accomplishment silvie!

Thanks! I'm doing a little happy dance now because my dad just told me he is going to give me 8,500 euros :D Now I "only" have 8,500 left on the loan.

Your accomplishment is quite a big deal too, gripped! Congrats!

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
Not a personal celebration, per se...but I'm doing the happy dance this morning because my city just sent out (posted on facebook...and I shared!) a bicycling survey along with an interactive map to plot where you bike or want to bike and allows you to rank routes as easy or difficult and tag areas that are biking barriers.  I am soooo happy since the car is king here, that the city is even thinking about looking at bike paths for commuters and not for recreation!

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
Congrats everyone.
I just had my annual review and got a 3% increase. That's almost $700 a year. I am quite happy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Congrats everyone.
I just had my annual review and got a 3% increase. That's almost $700 a year. I am quite happy.

Nice!  That's a lot of bacon.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Congrats everyone.

Nice!  That's a lot of bacon.  :)

I know! I'm thinking once it kicks in to increase my 401k contribution by 3%

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »
I thought about digging out my original car question thread and updating that, or my journal.  But I figured here is a good place to post my good news!

After almost exactly one year of learning, saving, and looking, I've finally ditched the gas-guzzler Volvo and bought a fine used mustache-mobile.  I had a short list of cars, and a long list of musts so it took a while.  Now driving a shiny 2006 Scion XA!

106K miles, priced well, one owner (a pilot who only used it to commute to SeaTac, so all highway miles), added option of front and rear side airbags.   All service records... taken care of by a meticulous guy.  (pilot!)  It looks and runs like a new car.  He even wrote me up a reminder sheet of what I should do for the next 30k miles or so and filled the tank for me.  :)  I am thrilled!

It's a definite change from the Volvo tankwagon.  Camping will be like tetris in there.  :)  Also, I'm going to take it in and have them install the hitch mount so I can put my bike rack on there. 

Anyone in the market for a 1998 Volvo XC Wagon?   

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
Great find! I'm (only kinda seriously) keeping a pulse on the xA and Vibe markets around here.

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
It took several pestering emails, but:

I convinced HR to drop a crappy 457 plan (2.5% total fees and a tax-deferred annuity) for a plan that has 0.3% fees and no annuity.

Once I start contributing heavily, I'll totally feel like a badass!

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #513 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
I biked to work today for the first time since early December. It was still about 20 degrees, but the roads have cleared a bit and I put my big-girl pants on. It was exhilarating. I finally feel alive again! I <3 BIKING!

ZeroGBuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
This thread makes me so happy!

My mortgage company recently sent me an estimate of how my payment will adjust when it switches to an ARM in about six months.  Interest rate is dropping to 2.875%, which, combined with my overpayments every month, results in $60,000 savings over the remainder of the loan (if I quit pre-paying, which I won't).  Granted, 90% of that is from the interest rate dropping, but I'm still excited.  My monthly payment will drop over 30%, making a significant dent in my monthly expenses.  Now I just have to decide how much of that I want to allocate to paying it off versus my Vanguard account....

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #515 on: March 16, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
We paid off the last of our mortgage. That's the short story.

The slightly longer story is that we bought in September 2000 on a 20 year old note, refinanced in 2002 to a 15 year mortage, refinanced in 2004 for a very low rate...and paid it off at the end of February, meaning that in less than 15 years from the original 2000 purchase date, we own our house free and clear.

We haven't had any other debt for years and years, so as of no, all our money "are belong to us"!

It feels good.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #516 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
I just wanted to do a celebration dance because my networth is over $10k and I only started saving when I got a job in January this year :D

My goal for 2014 is to double my networth from last year and I'm already halfway there!

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: March 21, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
Checked my 401k balance to discover the profit-sharing contribution has gone into my account and puts me at $101k. Six figures!!  Woo-hoo!!! I've been with the company for 5 years and in the next paycheck, I've increased my contributions another 1% to 16%. Before I joined this company, I half-assed it when it came to saving for my retirement, and those other accounts sum up to about $30K over 20 years. 

I've also managed to wipe out the credit card debt last year. The medical debt is on target for elimination by this summer.  Then the Mister and I will talk about whether we tackle the car debt or the house debt next.  We have cash saved for a new driveway, which we'll get started on as soon as the weather permits. 

Before I came here, I used to think that living up to our means was doing great, and now I see us actually living below our means. Thanks, everyone, for the inspiration.

B L I S S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »
My happiness stems from the joy of improving the lives of my friends.
It's been that way since I was able to form independent thoughts.
With that said, I've introduced two of my female friends to Mint.
In other news, two of my female friends have recently become addicted to Mint ;)

What good is getting there if you came alone?

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:37 AM »
My happiness stems from the joy of improving the lives of my friends.
It's been that way since I was able to form independent thoughts.
With that said, I've introduced two of my female friends to Mint.
In other news, two of my female friends have recently become addicted to Mint ;)

What good is getting there if you came alone?

Good for you.  So glad you have partners in crime. 

The most Mustachian/frugal people that I've "known" over the years (besides my mom) have been on money forums. 

Loud Noises

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
I just got myself a 40% raise!  Woohoo!  There will be no lifestyle inflation with this one, I can guarantee it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
I just got myself a 40% raise!  Woohoo!  There will be no lifestyle inflation with this one, I can guarantee it.

Wow, that's HUGE!  That'll boost your savings rate quickly.  Way to go.  :)

B L I S S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »

Wow. Did you just become COO..

Good for you.  So glad you have partners in crime. 

The most Mustachian/frugal people that I've "known" over the years (besides my mom) have been on money forums.

Yes it is great, though still, no one is as extreme as I am.
I am still viewed upon as being a bit obsessive
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:55:11 PM by B L I S S »

Loud Noises

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #523 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »

Wow. Did you just become COO..

No it's more like a new job altogether than a raise... but overall it equates to a recognition of what I actually bring to the table and is fair compensation for that.  I've done a lot of investing in myself and my career in the past year and a situation like this is exactly why!

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
This thread is officially the best thread. :)

I've been scarce around here because my new job is AMAZING. Not only did I get a raise, I am only six miles away from my office - and the work is challenging, interesting, and offers me a ton of autonomy and the power to make decisions that I think are best. That's something that is super important to me and I'm glad that I am both recognizing that about myself and in a position where I get to make the most of that.

And also, my freelance editing business is BLOWING UP. I recently edited and formatted a book, which was published on the National Institute of Health's website; and I have a thesis, a journal paper, and a theoretical physics paper all in the queue. At $50 per hour, I stand to make another $650 in this next week. If only these deadlines weren't so short...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
This thread is officially the best thread. :)

I've been scarce around here because my new job is AMAZING. Not only did I get a raise, I am only six miles away from my office - and the work is challenging, interesting, and offers me a ton of autonomy and the power to make decisions that I think are best. That's something that is super important to me and I'm glad that I am both recognizing that about myself and in a position where I get to make the most of that.

And also, my freelance editing business is BLOWING UP. I recently edited and formatted a book, which was published on the National Institute of Health's website; and I have a thesis, a journal paper, and a theoretical physics paper all in the queue. At $50 per hour, I stand to make another $650 in this next week. If only these deadlines weren't so short...

That's so awesome!  Make sure not to burn out.  :)

Way to go.  :D

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »

AWESOME!

My celebration today is I just realized that since January 2014, my 401k account has increased by 35% :D

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #527 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
Son graduated with ABET EE degree in four years and landed his dream job - no more college tuition!  Yea!  Food bill goes down!  Yea!  I will miss him but kinda cool to see my kids grow into responsible adults. 

Life sure does fly by.

Edit!  And in MMM form any savings go into FI funds.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #528 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
Completely agree that this is the best thread!

My celebration is that I finally made a blog that I plan to share with the world! I am hoping to keep it going and eventually to start making some side hustle money with websites. I also started a website i plan to monetize - once I figure out what I'm doing! ha.

Everyone keep up the great work! :D

p.s. blog url - www.simplybex.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:53:24 PM by dorkus619 »

jordanread

« Reply #529 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »

My celebration is that I finally made a blog that I plan to share with the world! I am hoping to keep it going and eventually to start making some side hustle money with websites. I also started a website i plan to monetize - once I figure out what I'm doing! ha.

Once you are up and running, don't forget get yourself added to the MMM Reader Blogroll

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #530 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
I am proud to say, that as of today, I now belong to the 2% Club!!

jordanread

« Reply #531 on: April 03, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
Got over all of the emotional hang ups regarding my jeep, and put it on craigslist. I can learn more about working on cars later, if I need to. I don't need to keep that beast for practice.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #532 on: April 07, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »

Once you are up and running, don't forget get yourself added to the MMM Reader Blogroll

Thanks for the info & invite! :)

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #533 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
Just broke $100k in non-pension net worth! I was updating my spreadsheets this morning and was focused more on checking in on investment accounts and total NW, but casually checked my cell for non-pension NW subtotal and it is at $100,007.06. Woohoo!!! Brings a happy smile to my face on an otherwise dragging Monday. I'm hoping that the experience will hold true for me that the first $100k is the hardest, 'cause it sure did feel hard!

Note: includes 457/IRAs, rental deposit, vacation accrual, mid-term savings; subtracts any cc debt ($0) and amount owed through term of car lease (through 6/30/2014). Doesn't include FSA money, checking account money for cash-flow expenses, or line item for cost to purchase new-to-me car in May/June.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #534 on: April 07, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
I just took the plunge and moved most of my savings (17k), which have been moldering in a low-interest CD, to a shiny new Vanguard account, where hopefully they will multiply and prosper until my retirement day!

Now that I have a job lined up for after graduation (also worth celebrating) I can think of that money as long-term savings. Feels good.

jordanread

« Reply #535 on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
The gas-guzzling Jeep is gone!!! Sold yesterday. Today, I drove the "new" Sentra up to Denver, and it didn't explode or anything. Damn near paid for itself already. :-)

europe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • I'm trying to write down my journey... http://DividElephant.wordpress.com :-)
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »
As I want to avoid crosspostings - first of all: Hi everybody! I discovered MMM's blog and this great forum one year ago - it totally changed my mind and relationship to money. I live in the middle of Europe (very creative nickname, right?) and I am in my 30s. Didn't want to post here until I had something for this thread. Since today, I got something: I finally sold my car. After thinking and rethinking it for months - and after withstanding my emotional phase (should I really sell it? I like it so much, it's so nice & beautiful, it's the first real thing I bought etc. blahblah) - today was the day. One small step for mankind, but a giant leap for me and so I cashed in € 13.000 (none to say, that the price I paid was almost twice as much) plus saved at least € 2.000 a year!

My next goal is to hit € 50k of savings (should be next month) and afterwards straight forward to 100k. :)

Cheers from Austria!

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #537 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
I can't believe I didn't know this thread was here!

- Two months ago I paid off one of my student loans in full, a first for me. I did a happy dance but kind of wanted the website to burst into flashing gifs of fireworks and joy ;-)

- I convinced Fiance to pay off his small CC debt with cash he just had lying around. Score!

- My aunt is retiring to Costa Rica and she gave me her nearly-new, barely-used mountain bike. It's really hard for me to shell out several hundred dollars for anything, even if I know it's a worthwhile investment, so I'd been bogged down in comparison shopping etc. but now all I need is a bike pump and I can stop riding the bus to work!

renaite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #538 on: April 18, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »

- Two months ago I paid off one of my student loans in full, a first for me. I did a happy dance but kind of wanted the website to burst into flashing gifs of fireworks and joy ;-)

Congratulations, LucyBIT! I cannot for the life of me figure out inserting an image, but here's to make up for your student loan site's lack of proper fanfare: http://puka23.deviantart.com/art/Party-Hard-Unicorn-165441334

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
LOL unicorn! Thanks!!!

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #540 on: April 20, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »
Tonight's the first time I've captured in one place our net worth changes over the last few years, and it was so much fun to graph these numbers:

Date                Net Worth
12/31/11         $142,963
12/31/12         $210,200
06/30/13         $240,656
04/19/14         $579,639

My tracking went off the rails mid-year last year - I got lazy with Quicken and we eventually switched to Mint, so record keeping is back on track now. In fact I just downloaded a trial of YNAB tonight because I find the Mint budgeting tool to be less than useful, and I want to get our spending more under control.

But pretty cool that our net worth has more than doubled in less than a year!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #541 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
Mini celebration for us this month - we paid off my husband's car and finally own it free and clear! I'd be celebrating bigger if he didn't own a gas guzzling truck, but I haven't had much luck talking a contractor out of his truck ;)

Our other "accomplishment" this month was hitting a new tax bracket. I've been singing "mo' money, mo' problems" ever since, but as much as I hate the tax bill, I guess we had a good year overall?!

Jazzpolice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #542 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »
2014 Accomplishments since being a regular MMM reader:
Cable: GONE & not missing it one bit with getting Roku & Hulu+ for $8/month
Cell phone: Switched from Sprint $150/month to Ting averaging 30ish/month
Spouse was taking high end "vitamins" called Juice Plus: Convinced him to break free: Savings of $350 every 4 months.
Weekend Newspaper: GONE.. Savings of $20/month (cancelled out of principal since they increased the priced by $5 without even letting us know)
Eating out only once a week instead of mindlessly as we used to before.  Due to my frugal nature, we eat mostly lunches out and order water to keep costs down.  Man, it feels so good to make these little changes and know it'll pay off in the end.  Just seeing my older coworkers complain about money makes me find more ways to cut costs. 

Since I have a strong aversion to debt…we have no other loans or debt other than a small amount left on the mortgage which I'm overpaying monthly to eliminate and it may not make sense to many to prepay  the 4.75% but those of us who want to be in the "free and clear" love to have absolutely zero debt.   So good to celebrate our achievements even in a forum filled with other Mustachians even if we are all technically strangers because I haven't found any friends/coworkers to "get it".

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: April 24, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »
10% Raise!!!  Woot woot!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #544 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Yay everybody! Congrats!

Our Frugalwoods family small victories this month:
-Not eating out at all. Not for a single meal--not even coffee!
-Meal planning carefully, yielding our absolute lowest grocery bills EVER (while still eating fruits & veg)
-Becoming a volunteer at my yoga studio to get free classes

I love that we keep finding new ways to save and enjoy life! Frugal on!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: April 26, 2014, 05:39:59 AM »
I cleared my overdraft yesterday. For the first time since about 1998 I am debt free. Now for saving!

PaulD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #546 on: April 28, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
I was notified last Thursday that I passed the CFP exam. Not a minor feat, as that was a tough exam! 

It's official - on the day of the test I knew a lot of stuff about personal finance. Some of it is even useful! 

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #547 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »
"I want to ride the bicycle" -- DS (2 1/3 years old) said this morning as we were heading out, after being told that mom was taking him to day care with the car today. It was 40 degrees, rainy, and windy. (I still rode the bike 10 miles in to work.) In decent weather (until mid-December and starting again mid-April this winter) I typically bike him to day care more than half the time.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #548 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
I have no more consumer debt as of yesterday. I don't think it has quite hit me yet - I've been carrying a credit card balance for around 10 years now - and now its all gone, never to return :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »
I have no more consumer debt as of yesterday. I don't think it has quite hit me yet - I've been carrying a credit card balance for around 10 years now - and now its all gone, never to return :)

YAY! This is awesome! Go you :-)