Author Topic: House Swap / Home Exchange Websites or Advice  (Read 4398 times)

Gina79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
House Swap / Home Exchange Websites or Advice
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
First post! We're thinking of a house swap for 1 or 2 weeks in July/August.  It would be our first time doing an exchange.  We live in central Ottawa (Ontario) & are interested in swapping our home for one in Vancouver or the Okanagan Valley Area (BC). Does anybody have recommendations (HomeLink, House Exchange, etc)? Any tips?  Thanks!!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: House Swap / Home Exchange Websites or Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
We've done this and used homeexchange.com.

Gina79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
Thanks

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:00:27 PM »
Thinking of trying Home Exchange, but the most recent feedback I've seen here is from 2013.  Are people still using Home Exchange or is there a better option?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »
There's a MMM house share AirBnB type thing, called AirMnM, though it seems to have died or is maybe just mostly dead.  Would be great to get some interest back to it----  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/airmnm/

edited to add--- there is someone from Vancouver that posted their place, but they haven't been on the forum for 4 years.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:59:09 PM by uniwelder »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 08:40:12 PM »
Look also into house sit and pet sit sites. Those will give you more flexibility because then you can have the house of someone who is going away anywhere for work, vacation, etc. As opposed to depending on someone who wants to travel specifically to Ottawa.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »
Posting to follow as this is a running debate in our household.  We live in a ski resort town and could attract people to swap with, but DH is very nervous about the idea of strangers living in our house.  So we have yet to try it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 02:55:47 PM »
I'm signed up (not verified yet), and Home Exchange looks to be pretty flexible -- you can trade for points, so you don't have to have a one-for-one swap.  I have a place that I think would draw a lot of interest, and I plan to use this to try out some different towns to consider for a final retirement town.  I'll see how it goes but it seems pretty flexible. 

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 08:22:30 PM »
We are actually looking for someone to house sit for basically the whole month of July but we are just south of Seattle so a bit south of where you were thinking. I would love to join some sort of airmnm thing!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!