Author Topic: RANT!!! - Stupid Consumerism Crap!!!  (Read 5742 times)

jpluncford21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
RANT!!! - Stupid Consumerism Crap!!!
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
I've got to blow off a little steam. While traveling around my city with an inspector during work today , he began telling me about all the places I should eat and visit, blah blah blah. One place he told me I MUST TAKE MY WIFE TO was a restauraunt that allows you to pick a cut of meat and then grill it yourself! I was told that the steaks were superb, and that it wasn't that pricey. And I get to grill my steak any way I want! SHOOT ME IN THE FACE! I should start a business where people can come in and wipe my ass for me!
Since I've converted over, it amazes me what people are willing to spend money on. Knick Nacks, isles of useless crap everywhere! My wife and I actually get pissed off now when we go out to department stores for supplies. I'm telling you guys, homesteading on a nice plot of land somewhere is starting to look better and better. Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.

Jp

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: RANT!!! - Stupid Consumerism Crap!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
You're very welcome. That will be $10. Debit or credit?

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
We have a place like that over here for making pancakes. I think I've been once or twice, both with large groups and the batter was really good. Even then, however, I recognized that it was a bit silly of a concept to go to a restaurant where they toss ingredients at you and tell you to make the meal yourself.

I can see defending the model, however, as an once-every-blue-moon social outing with a large number of people- especially if many of those people don't cook for themselves that often. It turns the preparation process into a social activity (at the pancake place the griddle is actually built into the middle of the table lower than the serving area).

That said, haven't gone there in years and I would imagine grilling in the park/tossing a griddle on the dining room table yourself would be a perfectly reasonable way of recreating the experience.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Yeah, and steak?  A big chunk of meat cooked over a fire - where's the artistry or interest in that?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
Yeah, and steak?  A big chunk of meat cooked over a fire - where's the artistry or interest in that?

I believe to be an art that interests me very much...so yummy, but one that I will do on my own grill thank you very much.

I_am_DLR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • F12 Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
I could see defending this model a little bit. The proper way to cook a steak, if you ask me, is to cook it at stupid hot temperatures(like, 1800 degrees hot). This isn't something that most people can sort out in their own homes.

I sincerely doubt that's what the restaurant does, just playing devil's advocate.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
I don't have a grill. And, I hate doing dishes. So, I can kind of see doing this if I were dumb. It's not quite the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »
I was quite enamored with the Melting Pot but not the price.  Bought a fondue put and made it at home for much cheaper and alot healthier. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
I don't have a grill. And, I hate doing dishes. So, I can kind of see doing this if I were dumb. It's not quite the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Given that stupidity is infinite, that's not saying much...

melidesau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 05:32:09 PM »
I went to a fantastic yakiniku restaurant the last time I was in New York - the Japanese version of Korean barbecue, where they serve you little chunks of meat for you to grill at your table. But not just any meat. I ordered intestine, tongue, and testicles and it was all extremely tasty. The experience paid off because I'd never had any of those cuts of meat before and I would have had no clue how to prepare them (or how they were supposed to taste) without a waiter looking over my shoulder and giving me pointers.

For regular old meat, though? Pshaw.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
I've got to blow off a little steam. While traveling around my city with an inspector during work today , he began telling me about all the places I should eat and visit, blah blah blah. One place he told me I MUST TAKE MY WIFE TO was a restauraunt that allows you to pick a cut of meat and then grill it yourself! I was told that the steaks were superb, and that it wasn't that pricey. And I get to grill my steak any way I want!

I had that experience once; the kebobs or whatever fancy name they had required me to grill the pieces of meat on a really hot rock.  I was more than a bit disappointed (nowhere on the menu did it say one must cook their own meat, and being one of the first there that night, I didn't see anyone else having to perform this task).  Of course I burned the meat, and only reluctantly ate it (if I had to prepare all my own food, I'm pretty sure I'd be a vegetarian).

I should start a business where people can come in and wipe my ass for me!

If you're serious and really want to succeed, look into a work visa for Germany.  I think you'll have more competition than you expected though.