Author Topic: My Dad, a life long Mustachian?  (Read 3927 times)

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
My Dad, a life long Mustachian?
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
Here's the short list of some of the financial highlights of my parents, who's finances have always been led by my head strong Dad:

Built a passive solar home in 1985 that to this day is one of the most efficient homes in our county.  He still gives tours of the house to College classes and boy scouts when they ask.

Paid off said house in 7 years.

Has been successfully self employed for 35 years,

He has been financially independent for years but still works.  He recently reached a money milestone and decided to cut back and now only works a 40 hr week..

Then there's the small things that he has always done:
Hates to waste money on eating out and at work would rather skip lunch than spend money on fast food.
Hasn't financed a vehicle, ever. Works on his own cars, does all his own home maintenance, mows the grass, etc. 
He makes a pretty good mustachian role model!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: My Dad, a life long Mustachian?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
Awesome to have such a role model in your life.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
Sounds like an inspiration!

Also sounds like your dad would be a great candidate for an oral interview, grab a take recorder and try and get that mustachian wisdom on tape...could probably even turn it into an e-book or course and make some residual income for the both of you:)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
What a badass. I'd second swick's suggestion: oral history interviews are totally fascinating to me.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
Me to! I even figured out how to get paid for it...now the pay is peanuts... but the job title - Oral History Program Curator sounds pretty darn impressive:) and I learn interesting tidbits like Beaver is actually very tasty and nutritious...

Seriously though, your dad sounds like he would be an awesome interview!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »
If you're paid circus peanuts, then I'd say you have a memory especially suited to the job.

One of the two collections I worked on in my museum job isn't online yet (pity), but the other one is here, if you're ever bored and curious about the national guard.

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
I do like the idea of the interview.  Mainly, it would be interesting to get a little more in depth various financial successes and mistakes over the years.  I've heard all the stories a bunch, but have yet to utilize very many myself.  He usually sums up his financial choices to being aggressive and lucky.  He has always been an aggressive saver and tributes that cash in the bank to being able to purchase rental properties when an opportunity falls in his lap.

Blackbomber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
That kind of upbringing can make a huge difference. My dad brought be up in a home of simplicity, efficiency, and frugality (while not sacrificing needs, or reasonable wants). Unfortunately I followed the herd, and rebelled a bit in my younger years. But that foundation is making the return to efficient living much easier for me.