Author Topic: OMG I'm in a free form f'ing panic because the market is TANKING!  (Read 42526 times)

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
Just kidding.

Turn off CNBC.

Enjoy your life.

And have a great day!!!

MKinVA

• Bristles
Re: OMG I'm in a free form f'ing panic because the market is TANKING!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
It's October.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
It's October.
... don't get it.... what does October have to do with anything other than the price of candycorns and pumpkins?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
It's October.
... don't get it.... what does October have to do with anything other than the price of candycorns and pumpkins?

Winter is coming

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
It's October.

Not much.

Oh!

Well...there is THIS http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stock-market-crash-1987.asp

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
I called my advisor and we determined it was a good time for me to switch all my investments to gold.

Thanks, Obama!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:29 PM »
Did you call to see if you could get your old job back yet?

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
It's October.

The Walking Dead always returns in October.

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
Despite seeing it coming, I still laughed.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
I whish it was for real, I just want to help desperate people buying stock at a discount

DollarsAndDissonance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
Love it.

Two ways of viewing the world:

Primm

• Handlebar Stache

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
I am a little bummed. I saved like $20K last quarter and I'm ending up even. Boo. Not gonna do anything stupid like sell, but never fun to see account balance going down. It hasn't happened in years so I'm not used to it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
Love it.

Two ways of viewing the world:

Don't forget the technical analysis way:

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »
Dragoncar: Nice.     I had a bad day...that made my night.

RE: Market tanking...I enjoy CNBC, it's great to see all the talking heads proclaiming the end of the world who were just talking about the market going up indefinitely forever a month ago.  I sit back and enjoy that this month's 401k contributions will be buying at a discount from last month.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »
I am a little bummed. I saved like $20K last quarter and I'm ending up even. Boo. Not gonna do anything stupid like sell, but never fun to see account balance going down. It hasn't happened in years so I'm not used to it.

After this thread I had to look up the Dow closing today and Sweet Mother God it's STILL near 17,000. I didn't know it was so high. I am old and don't like it this high, it makes me anxious.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
I was going to make up some "technical analysis" gibberish to post but that's funnier. Well played.

-W

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:03 PM »

<snip>

I lolled.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 01:01:59 AM »
While the drop was a bit of a shock, the biggest thing to kill my mood was the fact that I don't have extra cash this month to buy more.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
While the drop was a bit of a shock, the biggest thing to kill my mood was the fact that I don't have extra cash this month to buy more.

Me too.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:29:57 AM »
What's got me pissed off about it, is it crashes big every other week lately, and unfortunately for me, it's been pretty much on the same day my deductions from my pay check go into my 401k.

So, it immediately steals pretty much all the money I've been putting into it for 3 pay periods now. I've been thinking about getting my boss to move payroll to the opposite week, lol. At least that way I'd get a little ride for my money...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:33:02 AM by MikeBear »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:52 AM »
The only time I know there's a market drop is cause someone posts on the MMM forum about it.

Are that many of you constantly checking on the market's performance?  If so... why?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
The only time I know there's a market drop is cause someone posts on the MMM forum about it.

Are that many of you constantly checking on the market's performance?  If so... why?

Because mom calls asking if she should take out her entire IRA...every time the market farts. 
Next time I'm sending her Dragoncar's graph.  That will stump her for a while....

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »

It is pretty hard to avoid, especially when you sit in an office that always has the news on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
What's got me pissed off about it, is it crashes big every other week lately, and unfortunately for me, it's been pretty much on the same day my deductions from my pay check go into my 401k.

So, it immediately steals pretty much all the money I've been putting into it for 3 pay periods now. I've been thinking about getting my boss to move payroll to the opposite week, lol. At least that way I'd get a little ride for my money...

That makes it feel slow, but it's actually perfect execution of buying the dip.  Did you really want to be buying the day before the drop?  Assuming its a mutual fund settling at end of day nav

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Is it bad karma to hope it crashes big time over the next couple of days?  I'm overnighting a 165K rollover today.  Fidelity should complete the rollover by Friday...

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
Wait, so, to make sure I'm looking at this right: do people freak out when prices go back to what they were a month and a half ago?

ephillipsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 09:14:36 AM »
Ok the head line was indicating need to read and possbily administrator a head slap.  It has been a good run, over 3 years with out a 10% correction.  I know math and statistics are not the end all with stocks. but we are due.  I see it as a buying opportunity.

ephillipsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »
It's October.

The Walking Dead always returns in October.

Love the walking dead and can't wait for the season primer this weekend. Oh yea and the markets down, oh boy!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
Really wish I hadn't sunk my entire savings in GTAT. Anyone have a cardboard box I can live in?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »

The news website I frequent has the stock ticker in the corner on the main page.  I generally just glance at it. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »

The news website I frequent has the stock ticker in the corner on the main page.  I generally just glance at it.

And it shows, what, down 1 or 2% (likely in a red color)?  And you remember that several days in a row?

I'm trying to understand how glancing at that would even keep you abreast of the market, since the changes are so little, only big in aggregate.  Obviously if we saw a 10+% drop in a day you might notice, but otherwise?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
And here I was thinking that stocks were going on sale... 

As someone with a fairly long term investing horizon and someone who is still contributing more to my stache than dividends and growth are, I'm always excited to see big drops in the market. 

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »

I try to keep abreast of what the market is doing so I can take advantage of tax loss harvesting opportunities when they arise (which has not been often in the past few years).

And, if I'm honest, because it's thrilling to watch my portfolio's value fluctuate every day by an amount that constitutes a significant percentage of my annual expenses.  But I only do it as a diversion from work when I'm in the office.  I imagine that once I'm FIRE'd, I won't follow the markets and will only check in on my portfolio once in a while.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
GASP!  They're up 1.25% just this afternoon!  Now quick, everybody who didn't buy yesterday kick yourself.  You are scolded for not being able to predict what is completely unpredictable. 

Love how it's up 1% today but Reuters still has its morning headline:

"Growth worries grip stocks, oil markets: NEW YORK - An index of global equities hit a six-month low and oil prices slumped again on Wednesday, as investors reduced positions in riskier assets amid concerns about global economic growth."

Did they now?  ...Did they really? Or you just makin' stuff up again, media?

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

And it shows, what, down 1 or 2% (likely in a red color)?  And you remember that several days in a row?

I'm trying to understand how glancing at that would even keep you abreast of the market, since the changes are so little, only big in aggregate.  Obviously if we saw a 10+% drop in a day you might notice, but otherwise?

For those of us who follow moving average signals to get in or out of the market, I could see checking stocks somewhat more regularly during particularly volatile stretches. HINT: We're not in one of those now.

And so I'm trying to train myself to look at my "stuff" once per week, on Sundays, and record our liquid net worth on each Sunday into a Google Sheet. Still obsessive, but far less so than the multiple times per day check ins.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
GASP!  They're up 1.25% just this afternoon!  Now quick, everybody who didn't buy yesterday kick yourself.  You are scolded for not being able to predict what is completely unpredictable. 

Love how it's up 1% today but Reuters still has its morning headline:

"Growth worries grip stocks, oil markets: NEW YORK - An index of global equities hit a six-month low and oil prices slumped again on Wednesday, as investors reduced positions in riskier assets amid concerns about global economic growth."

Did they now?  ...Did they really? Or you just makin' stuff up again, media?

The explanations of "why" are hilarious to me.  I feel like they could use a magic 8 ball to write the headlines.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
I try to keep abreast of what the market is doing so I can take advantage of tax loss harvesting opportunities when they arise (which has not been often in the past few years).

Okay.  That's a legitimate reason.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »

WTF does this chart even mean?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

Exactly.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »

That makes it feel slow, but it's actually perfect execution of buying the dip.  Did you really want to be buying the day before the drop?  Assuming its a mutual fund settling at end of day nav

No, that's just it, it settles the night BEFORE I get my check, so it buys on the previous high day. Then the next day the market tanks, and there goes the money just put in.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
No, that's just it, it settles the night BEFORE I get my check, so it buys on the previous high day. Then the next day the market tanks, and there goes the money just put in.

Take comfort in the fact that in the long run, it won't make an iota of difference.  (The incremental gains that you miss out on compounded over 30 years will maybe add up to enough to buy yourself a nice lunch out.)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
Thanks for completely spoiling my low information diet.   I had no idea it was October already!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »

Yep. Red or green with the raw number and the percentage.  It's right next to the headlines so it's not like I'm actively looking for it.  It's been up and down fractions of a percent the last couple weeks.  Yesterday the S&P 500 dropped 20 points and there was a headline about it.  I'm not so much keeping abreast of the market as I just noticed a larger than usual change and thought "The media is about to flip out and we'll probably make a few jokes on MMM today."

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
Thanks for completely spoiling my low information diet.   I had no idea it was October already!

Also, it's Wednesday. Take that!

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
Dow,  down 273 yesterday,  up 275 today.   And if your portfolio has a bond allocation you are net ahead because bonds went up yesterday when the Dow went down, and they stayed up today.   I watch the market daily.   It's a habit hard to break.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »

Exactly.

Something like this, but I can't remember where I got the original from:

http://www.fxempire.com/technical/technical-analysis-reports/e-mini-sp-500-index-es-futures-technical-analysis-june-23-2014-forecast/

I didn't even post one with a million arrows and circles.  Bunch of crazy crap here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=technical+analysis&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zY01VJvyHMrlsASZ0YLYCw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoBA&biw=1280&bih=935#tbm=isch&q=technical+analysis+s%26p

As far as I can tell, "technical analysis" is the practice of looking very carefully at stock price graphs to try to recognize patterns in the movements of the price over the course of a (day, week, month) and use those patterns to guess what will happen to the price in the near future. It seems to be about as scientifically valid as staring at tea leaves. Yet there are lots of programs designed to help technical analysis enthusiasts discover these patterns by drawing lines and curves all over the price history graph.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
Bah, I knew it wasn't to last.  Now I'm heading off to Fedex my rollover checks, damnit. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!