Author Topic: Post-Hurricane Biking: A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes  (Read 2265 times)

livrocentral

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Post-Hurricane Biking: A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
From today's NY Times:
One Way Around the Traffic Muddle in Brooklyn: Riding a Bicycle

[link edited: thanks, Mrs MM]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:28:55 AM by DP »

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
Re: Post-Hurricane Biking: A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Great article!  My favorite quotes:

Thomas Jarrels, 46, who biked home to Crown Heights from his job as a sous-chef at a Midtown law firm, said he was glad to have had an impetus to bike to work. He said he was a bike messenger in the 1980s and loved biking, but had never commuted by bike until the storm disabled the subway. Though it took slightly longer than the train, he said, he thought he would keep biking even after the subway started running again.

“It saves money, and it’s less of a headache,” he said. “It gives you time to think, meditate and get your exercise on.”

and

She said she usually biked only recreationally and had been intimidated by riding on more congested routes. “This kind of showed me it’s not that bad,” she said, adding that on Friday she might bike to the school in Williamsburg where she teaches.

Your link didn't work for me by the way.  Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/with-transportation-snarled-in-brooklyn-bicycles-roam-free.html?_r=0

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »
I almost posted a "Mustachian problems" whine about this.  Along the lines of "My co-workers from outside Manhattan complain about how difficult it is to get to work.  But I can't use this as an opportunity to show how easy bike commuting is because I chose an apartment within walking distance of work :( "

c

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
I find the subway gives me time to think, mediate and generally arrive at work stress free. On the bike you have to be alert at all times. Biking in over the last few days is hardly representative of a regular day.

The subway is actually quicker for me, especially when I factor in having to get changed twice.

Someone at work was going on about how great bike commuting is and how everyone should do it, turns out she lives 2 miles up the street. Why would you not bike that?

Maybe I'm not hardcore enough yet. My neighbor does it. He actually goes about 10 blocks further. He is a carpenter at an art museum, so can dress casual and they have showers there.

I've commuted by bike in London, Amsterdam and Toronto.  If I lived the same distance away in any of those places I'd do it. Having to navigate lower Manhattan every day is more than my nerves can take at this point.