Author Topic: What's Under that Aluminum Siding?  (Read 4414 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
What's Under that Aluminum Siding?
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
Some of the properties we're looking at to purchase and rent out have aluminum siding.

We've never lived in a home with aluminum siding because, well, it's so darn ugly, so we have no practical hands-on experience with it.

Our concern is that the property might have disastrous wood damage underneath the siding.

How can we find out without taking the siding off or damaging it to look underneath it?

usmarine1975

Re: What's Under that Aluminum Siding?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »
Look for signs of leaking or spots that could have possible leaks.  In my experience aluminum siding rarely fails on its own merit. If it does it is comprised of an installer error.  Without tearing it off you really have no way of being certain.

jmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's Under that Aluminum Siding?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
If it seems loose that's a good indication of an issue. It's easy to hide stuff with siding - aluminum or vinyl - but there is no way to tell for sure without removing it. I have an old house as a rental property built in 1880. I had to drill through for a dryer vent. The exterior is aluminum siding and never thought I would find what I did under it. From the outside in:

- Aluminum siding
- 1x2" shims
- Tar paper
- Stucco
- Lath
- Tar paper
- Wood Siding
- Insulation

In general as long as the siding seems tight to the house and seams I wouldn't worry too much. Sure there can always be something covered up but I haven't really run into many issues with aluminum siding or siding in general. I would be more concerned with the furnace, A/C, plumbing, electric, foundation, etc.