Author Topic: West Ottawa: pick free apples here, right now...  (Read 3265 times)

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
West Ottawa: pick free apples here, right now...
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
These apples aren't perfect, but they aren't bad (and, will keep getting better every year if people can take away enough of them to reduce the pest population). Great for apple sauce, cider, many are good enough for eating fresh. Many different varieties at each of these sites. The land is public access in the Greenbelt, and taking away apples helps to keep the trees healthy, since many apple pests (apple maggot, coddling moth, and fire blight) overwinter in the soil after exiting the apple litter. Both of the sites have trees that are small enough that step ladders are optional. They are peaking right about now, so go get them!

1) This site is about 1km from the nearest parking, so a bike with trailer is recommended if you're planning to pick very much. Best site I've found. Look for the trees just off the greenbelt pathway, in the hydro cut: 45.325139,-75.858044

2) The apples here aren't quite as plentiful (and might have a bit more apple maggot damage). They're still some of the best I've found in west Ottawa. Park at Rooney Park, take a walk to the far corner of the field past the soccer posts, then into the meadow: 45.268446,-75.82383

If anyone is keen on making apple cider, this could be a possible meet-up, too.

MikeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: West Ottawa: pick free apples here, right now...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
Awesome, thanks. #1 is just a little bit past where I often run from work at lunchtime so I might have to bring a backpack early next week and check it out.