Author Topic: Question about switching out a car's brake booster  (Read 2068 times)

JeffC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question about switching out a car's brake booster
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
I know it's the brake booster because there is a loud hiss when my car is running and then if I hit the brakes, the hissing stops, coupled with an extreme loss of brake power/increased need for foot pressure when braking.

The question is, if I switch out the brake booster, will I have to bleed the brake lines or is that only if I disconnect the brake lines?  the plan is just to move the master cylinder over a bit and not disconnect it or the brake lines.  There seems to be plenty of room to get the booster out without having to go crazy. I'm asking because I don't know if I feel safe doing a full-on brake overhaul, so in that case I would have to pay a mechanic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Question about switching out a car's brake booster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »
If you just swap the booster, there's no need to bleed the brakes.  Most cars allow enough room to do this, although it's easier to just take it off. 

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
Yup. If you have room to move the master cylinder away without kinking the metal lines you won't have to bleed the brakes.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
I'd bleed the brakes anyways since it's very easy to do and is an oft neglected maintenance item.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »

It sounds like you already know this, but I'll ask just in case:  Are you sure it's the booster itself and not a vacuum leak in the lines leading to it?