Author Topic: How much are you setting aside for tuition? Is it necessary?  (Read 16092 times)

Starter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How much are you setting aside for tuition? Is it necessary?
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
I'm curious as to the Mustachian consensus on this:

My parents did not pay for my education.  I'm under the impression that Mr.MM's parents did not pay for his.
Did your parents pay for your tuition?
How much are you setting aside for your kids?
Is it really necessary?  Should they be earning it for themselves and learning the ways of the mustache?

(Please know I'm playing Devil's advocate and am just curious on the thoughts of others)

basd

• Stubble
Re: How much are you setting aside for tuition? Is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
Note that this is about the Netherlands, not the US.

My parents paid for my tuition, but that's under 2000 per year (at least for the first college education you register for, if you finish it and decide to do a second it gets much more expensive).

I paid for everything else (housing, food, books, beer, much more than 2000 per year) myself, through governmental education funding, student loans and a part time job later on.

Our little one is nine months old now, we decided to set apart 250 every three months for his college education. If he doesn't go to college, it'll be spent on something else for him.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
My parents paid for 4 out of my 5 years. I did have 3 co-ops, and all of that money went to my parents to help with tuition. The 5th year, I took out a loan. Paid that loan off (~$22k) within 3.5 years of graduating. Actually got my head out of my ass the next spring with the help of YNAB and ended up saving a lot more. I also worked several part time jobs throughout college for extra spending money (most likely blew it on crap food from 7-11, but it was still fun).

We are putting $100 a month for our daughter in a 529, and we put any gifts from grand parents/friends etc. into the same fund. It can easily be transferred/split up for future kids too.

So, long story short, I wouldn't be where I am today without my parents help. We have a house but plan on paying it off as early as possible, and I have a masters in Chemical Engineering (no extra cost in a 5 year school if you're willing to take the extra courses). If I could do it over again, I'd probably party a little less and work a little harder in college, but honestly, I feel like I don't love working for the man and would like to get out of the daily grind. Having that $$$, or not having that debt could have changed things but I'd have a lot less options too.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
We're setting aside $150/ mo per kid.  It won't be enough for a full ride,  but hoping to cover in state tuition.  Kids can work part time for room & board.  Expecting scholarships,  though, because our kids are brilliant.  Yes, even the one who is seven weeks old today. :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »
My parents helped out by lending us (self+2 sisters) any funds we needed for college. In their generosity, they offered it at savings account interest rates. Knowing this, we worked for scholarships, part time during the year, and over the summer, and chose our educations based on value (not necessarily our "dream school"). However, we never had to sacrifice study time for work hours so we could eat, didn't have to sign our lives away to Uncle Sam by doing ROTC/military (wasn't an option for me, actually, but I got a full-tuition scholarship). Essentially, the deal was if we do what we can to help ourselves, parents will help us out.

I hope to do something similar for my hypothetical kids. I think MMM actually opened my eyes/mind to the blue collar careers out there so I don't think I would push kids toward college exclusively, but some kind of post-HS training and education for sure. If they had a shot at something truly great, like engineering/science at MIT, Caltech, or Stanford, premed at Harvard, etc. and I could afford it I would probably foot the bill. Even if they got C's the whole time.

That said, I would support a move toward merit-based admission/full funding nationwide (i.e. free college to anyone who qualifies). And trade schools as well. I think the opportunity to improve oneself through education should not be reserved only for those with means (but those with drive/ability to actually graduate).

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
... I'm under the impression that Mr.MM's parents did not pay for his.

I'm under the impression that he got his college degree in Canada, where college is much, much less expensive than the U.S.  So if you are in the U.S., it's not at all an apples-to-apples comparison.

My mom paid for my college and my DH and I have paid for my stepkids' (along with their mom) and will pay for our son's.  But we're not saving separately for his (DS's) college, just saving in our tax-sheltered retirement accounts.  Conveniently, we're old enough that those will be completely available to us by the time he's old enough to attend college.  The stepkids were a different story, and as DH was recently divorced/remarried and the former had negative effects on his financial stability (not because of any disputes with his ex, just the costs of splitting one household into 2), we just paid for those OOP.  It wasn't easy (though his kids did go to state schools, which helped A LOT), but this is the norm in our social set and for us, I think, a good one.  Educated adults (us) earn a lot more than uneducated kids (them, at that stage), so it's a sensible intergenerational transfer of wealth, IMO.  And having benefited from it, I'm not going to refuse to pass it along.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: How much are you setting aside for tuition? Is it necessary?d
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
My grandfather puts 75$ a month away for each kid in a 529.  I expect we may also get a lump sum when he dies (likely in the next decade, so right about when the kids go to college).  As a professor, I know he would think the kids' education would be the best use of that money, should it come.

We aren't putting a hung away specifically, as we are funneling it all towards retirement-related savings.  But, since I do not currently work, the plan is that if nothing else, I can go out and get a minimum wage job and throw 100% of it at kids college when they leave the house.  I don't expect to actually do that, I expect to do some kind of part time work before they leave, and put some of it towards college.  I also expect that around the time they go to college, we will be able to cash flow it.

All of this assumes that we will pay something like the cost of tuition at an in state school. And they will be responsible for living expenses via jobs. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
I think about this frequently, GoCurryCracker posted about it (http://www.gocurrycracker.com/is-college-worth-it-with-future-tuition-predictions/), but I still stand behind my own post - http://escapevelocity2020.com/2014/02/saving-childrens-college-education/

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
We did a 4 year prepay in MD 529. Total about $40K. Kids cannot earn enough in a summer job to cover college. UMD was $500/semester in 1978.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
UMD was $500/semester in 1978.
I attended U MD from 1979 to 1982, and yup, that's about how much tuition was.  My mom worked for the university, which led to a further 1/3 discount.  Bargain prices!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
We did a 4 year prepay in MD 529. Total about $40K. Kids cannot earn enough in a summer job to cover college. UMD was $500/semester in 1978.

$1824 in 2014 dollars, but still good!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
I'm not currently saving anything because we're still pretty poor, but my grandfather gave each of our kids $10K plus $2K per year so far. It seems unfair to accumulate wealth and NOT set some aside for your kids's education!

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
We are not because we're broke to start with, but also because I think (hope?) the standard model for higher education will change over the next two decades. 

I hope in the future we will see more apprenticeship like programs and more jobs that value actual skills rather than an irrelevant four year degree just to get your foot in the door. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »
Given that Canada and in the US, 30 years back, it was reasonable for a student to work part time (under 15 hours) and summers and pay for school but now it is not, I don't see how comparing the two to now makes sense.  Personally, I plan to pay for four years of state school, with our child living at home.  If they can get non-loan aid, they can go somewhere else.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
I got tons of financial aid and also worked. I had about $10k (?) of stocks that my great-grandmother bought when I was born that I spent. My parents contributed some money. I'm not sure how much (just don't really remember). I think they paid two of my semester bills. It was more than $1000 but less than $10k. I paid four bills and when I lived off campus senior year the school paid me. :p

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my kids. My husband is in a much higher-paying field than my father so I can't count on our kids getting the same amount of aid that I did. I am leaning towards just saving/investing a lot of money and giving them what they need on a case-by-case basis, but I do expect them to save and to work part-time during school.

freedom14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
We are in Canada and are shooting to have $50K set aside per kid (we have 3) for a total of $150K although it will be distributed on need not evenly I suspect.  In Canada the government has an RESP program where the government contributes an additional 20% to your contributions (free money) the funds grow tax free and if not all used by the kids can be rolled into my pension plan.  Even in Canada I do not think it realistic to expect kids today to be able to fund their own education and excessive student loans are a real anchor in getting started in life so we'll help but our kids will also have skin in the game.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
Our plan: as the cost of daycare goes down, ramp up the 529 contributions with the difference.  We're currently saving $260/month.

We don't want to over-save (in case she decides not to go to college) but I'm not comfortable just planning to cash flow it.  I expect no financial aid, based on our current income.  I also don't know what portion of college costs we'll pay; how much "skin in the game" is appropriate.  My parents made me responsible for the Stafford Loan (subsidized) amount each year - I could take the loan or pay it with money from my summer jobs.  That was $3-5K/year in the late 1990s, very manageable, and left me with very little student debt ($3600, paid off before I left forbearance).  I could have graduated a semester early but wasn't ready to leave the nest.  On the other hand my husband's parents paid for everything.  He graduated a semester early.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
My DW got a free ride for sports and I went in the Military. We have 4 kids and have about 25k in each kids account currently and put the 3k per kid in per year. Were starting to save additionally toward the 2 older ones.  We want to try to contribute half and they do the rest but we will see. Not at the cost of us giving up total fire soon.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
My parents paid my and my sister's state school tuition (roughly) out of cash flow.  I paid the rest out of personal savings my freshman year, then by working (during school and summers) for the rest of my 4 years.  My sister opted not to work while going to class.  My parents loaned her the rest she needed interest free.  I plan on offering my children roughly the same deal, although I will prefer them to borrow any extra they need from student loan programs.   

abliviax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
My brother and I paid tuition and living/transportation expenses other than room/board at home.

We started working early (14-15yo) and made $10+/hr by the time college came around.  Engineering internships in summer ($15-19/hr) and part time in the school-year allowed this.

My wife's parents paid first two years of tuition, as well as providing room/board at home.

For my hypothetical children, I may actually start a 529 very soon to provide some money with long-term returns added on.  I think this will give me a little tax shelter as well ...?  Researching.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
We planned, via 529's (Utah, even tho we don't live there), to save enough to cover in-state tuition.  Kids are 10 and 12.  We started the year they were born.  We are there with the 12-yr old and soon to be with the 10-yr old.  My thought is that they can go anywhere, but we'll cover the equivalent of in-state (our state has good public schools). 

I have not delved into how having too much could actually hurt you given the tremendous amount of aid that is handed out these days.  But, I figured better to have it under my control.

We wanted them to be able to focus on classes.  That said, there is something to be said for having your kid pay for some or all of it.  Once they see the $/lecture, they will be less likely to skip classes and more likely to study hard knowing it is their money.

Note - if you do save too much, you can switch the beneficiary with a 529.

A friend is not saving for college buy paying off his mortgage so he doesn't have one when his kids start. 

kodokan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Kids of (a conveniently 4 years apart) 10 and 14, and assuming we'll cashflow $2k a month to cover in-state tuition and living expenses. We won't have a mortgage by then and are saving a fair whack towards our FIRE anyway, so will just back off the savings for those years and let the pot build. We're planning to FIRE when the youngest finishes high school, so there might be some interesting 'oh look, we have no income!' aid calculations we can do then, but my plan assumes we'll be paying.

I have one small thing to consider though, and would appreciate input. My oldest is scary bright - tested recently in the top 2% on a national test, won a place at our local university's Honors college summer program for smart teens, etc. His current academic performance would win him an almost free ride scholarship at our largest in-state uni.

My youngest, on the other hand, so far appears more 'comfortably bright'; I'd estimate she's in the top third of her class, but not in the hugely stellar academic elite.

Would you spend the same on both? Oldest might only need living expenses, but youngest might need living expenses and full tuition; a difference, say, of $40k. At the moment, I'm thinking of equal amounts for both, regardless of need - if oldest doesn't need it for undergraduate, then he can have the money for graduate school or to take a year or two for improving travel, or to start a business, something like that (it wouldn't be available for cars and consumer tat, only life-altering experiences).

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
I am one to think treat them all fairly. I have 4 kids. If you save 25k per kids and one doesn't need it for school then give it to them for something else as you mentioned but yes I would give even amounts inho.

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
My parents paid for my entire bachelors degree. I am forever grateful for it. A debt free start to life is the greatest gift a parent can give a child IMO.

I think frugality mostly comes from the example set by those around you, and in some ways I think frugality is genetic way of thinking.

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
My calculations show that we'll have enough to cover tuition, room and board for a state school or heavily subsidize a private school. My husband went to a state school (in-state) and I went Ivy League, so we run the gamut and see that pros and cons of both.  Neither of us graduated with debt and I got a scholarship for grad school. Currently, my husband works for a top tier private university and is currently eligible for tuition benefits if our child(ren) get in.  We have 12 years to go, and, frankly, I'm not banking on this benefit still existing at that point.  What do others think?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
Kids of (a conveniently 4 years apart) 10 and 14, and assuming we'll cashflow $2k a month to cover in-state tuition and living expenses. We won't have a mortgage by then and are saving a fair whack towards our FIRE anyway, so will just back off the savings for those years and let the pot build. We're planning to FIRE when the youngest finishes high school, so there might be some interesting 'oh look, we have no income!' aid calculations we can do then, but my plan assumes we'll be paying.

I have one small thing to consider though, and would appreciate input. My oldest is scary bright - tested recently in the top 2% on a national test, won a place at our local university's Honors college summer program for smart teens, etc. His current academic performance would win him an almost free ride scholarship at our largest in-state uni.

My youngest, on the other hand, so far appears more 'comfortably bright'; I'd estimate she's in the top third of her class, but not in the hugely stellar academic elite.

Would you spend the same on both? Oldest might only need living expenses, but youngest might need living expenses and full tuition; a difference, say, of $40k. At the moment, I'm thinking of equal amounts for both, regardless of need - if oldest doesn't need it for undergraduate, then he can have the money for graduate school or to take a year or two for improving travel, or to start a business, something like that (it wouldn't be available for cars and consumer tat, only life-altering experiences).

My sister and I each got full ride academic scholarships.  My brother got none.  My parents bought my sister and I each a car (the deal was if we got a full ride we got a car, if all three of us did, they would buy us a shared boat.  Stupid brother ruined our dreams!).  Anyway, for my brother they gave him an old junker car, and paid in state tuition.  He covered room and board by working.  I think it was fair.  They spent more on him for sure, but sister and I still got rewarded for our hard work (in my brother's case he could have qualified for scholarships, probably not full ride, but he just didn't bother). 

My parents, and actually now my aunt and uncle, were able to cash flow in state tuition easily.  They have a monthly payment plan and with no financial aid, it would cost 500$ a month year round to pay for fall and spring tuition.  I think most middle class families can handle that, for one kid at a time anyway.

Baron235

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »
The discussion on paying equal amounts per child is very interesting.  In my case, I got a full ride, so my parents paid nothing.  However, a few of my siblings did not so they paid most if not all of the cost.  I have never felt cheated even though my parents gave more money to my siblings.  However, I could see how that would bother some. 

Also, I don't think it is necessarily a matter of hard work.  I know I did not work as hard as my siblings. I was just good at school,  so it was really easy to get the grades I needed. 

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
My brother (aka Mr almost perfect on his SAT scores) got a free ride to VA Tech.

Since my parents didn't have to pay for his college, they paid the 2,000+ for a 1984 IBM 5155 Portable ( er luggable) PC with a built in screen. They also covered some of his other costs.

http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5155.html

tracylayton

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
I prepaid 4 years at any state college in Texas for my 2 oldest. It costs about $13,000 for each of them at the time. They had to do away with the program (Texas Tomorrow Fund), because tuition was rising much faster than they had planned. My youngest one was born after they stopped the program. I am putting $500 per month in an acct for him. His grandparents and his dad also are setting aside money for his college, so I think he'll be fine.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

My tendency would be equal on both with ideas such as you've mentioned, grad school, etc.  But, it occurred to me that could lead to the other having loans for undergrad.  I think it would be hard for me to help one with grad school and the other need loans for undergrad.  Just a thought.  You may have the non-superstar already covered for undergrad, though.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
I'm saving a fixed total amount for two children.  It really depends on what schools the get in to and what profession they pursue.  Based on myself and two older sisters, my Dad paid for all of our educations, but mine was the most expensive.  He also paid for their weddings, so things have a tendency to even out.  I don't see myself handing one child money at some point because their college degree was less expensive, then handing the other one money because their wedding was less expensive, etc.  I just see this as helping my children with some of the start-up expenses to have a successful adulthood.  And if I am successful at this, maybe they won't be living at home well into my golden years :)

I also see myself asking for some token monthly repayment until they move out.  A lot of this depends on the situation, but it was a useful experience to start budgeting when I got my first job and had a 'student loan' to have to pay back.  When I got married, the rest of the 'loan' was forgiven.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 06:33:37 AM »
$0 per kid.  I see several scenarios in the future:

1.  Higher Education in the future will be heavily government subsidized and means tested (our current system, but on steroids).  In this case, the more they have in an account, the less aid they will get.
2.  Higher Education in the future will be too expensive to even consider and will not be cost effective (loans will be so high that the increase in salary of being college educated will be a net loss).  At current tuition increase rates, costs would be about 2.2x what they are now, 18 years from now, even after adjusting for inflation.   
3.  If Higher Education is even economically feasible for my kids, I will fund 2 years of community college out of my stache.  Anything beyond that,  they will have to fund through loans/scholarships.

BadStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
We put away $150 per month per child for college in a 529.  This should be a good start for them.  I would consider paying off their loans once they graduate should that be feasable for us. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
Given that Canada and in the US, 30 years back, it was reasonable for a student to work part time (under 15 hours) and summers and pay for school but now it is not, I don't see how comparing the two to now makes sense.  Personally, I plan to pay for four years of state school, with our child living at home.  If they can get non-loan aid, they can go somewhere else.

This!

I save for kids, assuming that they can pay the rest by working summers, or even part time during school if they take more than five years.  I think they will end up with $20k from me each.  Assume in state school costs.

Right now I expect them to pay for teenage extras with highschool jobs, so not planning that they will have more than a couple thousand  saved before college.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »
None yet, but maybe later. Our first priority is early retirement (our age 35, when LO begins 1st grade) so we are able to travel the world with her during summer vacation and spend lots of time with her during the school year. If we choose to work for our own pleasure after that (we are nerds and love using our brains), then we will start saving that for her college b/c seriously, why not.

My parents didn't save for my college and I got a full scholarship anyway. My DH's parents paid for his and he earned a 4.0 in undergrad, qualifying him for a full fellowship to Stanford. But he said he still would have gone if he had to pay for it out of his own pocket anyway.

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »
We are paying for a portion of it.  Kids will have to take some responsibility for their schooling.  If they aren't invested they won't appreciate it.  Told the kids how much we would pay and they will have to make the decision of in-state or out-of-state school based on scholarships and grants.  I don't want them to be unduly burdened with student loans, but they need to learn how to manage their opportunities and money.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
My parents were willing to pay in-state tuition to a public university. I ended up with a full scholarship so they were off the hook, but either way I'd have graduated debt-free.

I'm aware of what a head start that has given me.  I'd like to do the same for my kids.  By working a bit more at the end of our careers, we can give them a big boost at the start of theirs.  I'm sure there will be some kind of "you must not flunk out" kind of stipulation.  We'll cross that bridge later on.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
My parents paid for my entire bachelors degree. I am forever grateful for it. A debt free start to life is the greatest gift a parent can give a child IMO.

I think frugality mostly comes from the example set by those around you.

This!!!  Husband and I both attended (and met at) an expensive private university (Carnegie Mellon).  Our parents paid for everything - we are very privileged, very lucky, very grateful -- and very responsible people.  We hope to do the same for our future kid(s), though I expect there will be BIG changes in the academic landscape by that point.

My brother got a full ride (went to the university where my dad is a professor) and my parents gave him a decent chunk of money for a car as promised -- he bought a used BMW (that he then couldn't afford new tires, etc, for, but that's another story ;)).  My dad's university covered half my tuition, but my parent had to pay the rest.  I felt plenty responsible to do well and honor my parents' enormous contribution, even without 'skin in the game' per say.

I can't say that paying for higher education is necessary as a parent, but I think it's important to be very clear about how much you are willing to help, and what the limits are (far earlier than senior year of HS, too).  My family very much values education, many generations back.  Growing up, my parents spent more on activities for myself and my brother than on their mortgage (which is saying a lot ... big house in a really good school district).  We never went out to eat, they have no expensive/new furniture, their TV is probably 15 years old.  I have similar values to my parents and hope to provide any future kid(s) with plenty of enriching experiences and opportunities (which don't have to cost lots of money, but could).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »
Nothing. Financial aid calculations currently penalize you for having money (shocking.)

Most (Certainly FAFSA) do not count money in retirement accounts. 

However:

1) The local school district (K-12) will pay for community college classes starting Junior year until high school graduation. Not too difficult to get at least a year worth of transferable credits for free.

2) I'll be retired. Income will be relatively low.

3) My son will be highly encouraged to apply for scholarships, work, etc to contribute - ESPECIALLY if he wants to go with anything other than an in-state public college/University.

4) If necessary, we will have converted quite a bit to Roth while staying in the 15% bracket, starting by the time he is 9 (house paid off.) We already have a fair chunk as Roth contributions. If needed, that money will be available. Contributions are available whenever, conversions after 5 years. Doesn't count as income.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
We set up a 529 account for my kids when they were pre-teens.  We funded it with two lump sum contributions using finds in excess of our retirement savings (at that time).  They are now both past traditional college age.  Neither was all that interested in college so only a small percentage of the account was used. 

It is now sitting there growing tax-free.  We intent to either use it for our own post-FIRE enrichment education or to help fund education for the next generation. 

I like the idea of having what is essentially an endowment for future generations.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
We set up a reverse 529 plan.  We keep withdrawing from it instead of contributing.  Works out to be a huge cash flow.

Northerly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »
We are setting aside nothing. Children are 1 and 5.

To my mind, college entrance and costs offer a pretty finely tuned feedback mechanism.

Acceptance at the best universities indicates that the child is bright, and in the case of the best universities, will receive full tuition assistance as a result of my eventual low income and need-blind admission policies. Result: Go to college if desired.

Rejection from the best universities, but acceptance at good state u with cheap tuition + nearly full ride: Go to college if desired.

Acceptance at state u with no tuition assistance: Don't go to college. Look at apprenticing in a good trade.

My perspective is that if it doesn't wind up being nearly free, then they should do something else.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »
I've been setting aside quite a bit in 529 Plans for my 3 kids.  Current values
  • Oldest (8 y/o) $25K
  • Middle (5 y/o) $18K
  • Youngest (2 y/o) $8K

In addition I contribute $250 a month to each ($3000 annualized), so they should have a nice amount of money come college.

However, in my view, college is becoming less important & skills more important.  With the abundance of MOOCs - (Udacity, Coursera) and Khan Academy - kids/adults can already get an excellent free education sans the formal credential.  There are also some excellent coding bootcamps which while not cheap are much cheaper then 4 years of college. 

I also expect cheaper degree-granting online programs to continue to proliferate while improving in quality.  I completed my MBA online for a total cost of $15,000 from CSUDH, and obtained what I believe to be comparable to a brink-n-mortar MBA program.  In the future, there will be many more options like this available.

In short, If you have the money, it's nice to assist your kids with their educational expenses but it's much more important to instill a passion for learning so that our children take full advantage of the opportunity that come their way.     

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »
I have yet to be convinced that a 529 is the best option for college savings.  My wife earned a full-ride academic scholarship; if her parents had a 529 it would still be sitting around accumulating, waiting to be penalized on withdrawal.  We have chosen to save ~$2,400/yr for our hypothetical child, aggregating to ~$125K.  The investment is in an aggressive portfolio b/c we have at least ~20 years to save.  If the kid/s do not prefer college, we will be able to provide support for a small business or world travel. 

Another question my wife and I discuss is how to reveal the amount saved.  Do you plan to tell your kids, "We have $100K for you, use it wisely."?  Or, closer to where we land, do you plan to ask them to create their own budget and request funds?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:02 AM »
I have yet to be convinced that a 529 is the best option for college savings.  My wife earned a full-ride academic scholarship; if her parents had a 529 it would still be sitting around accumulating, waiting to be penalized on withdrawal.  We have chosen to save ~$2,400/yr for our hypothetical child, aggregating to ~$125K.  The investment is in an aggressive portfolio b/c we have at least ~20 years to save.  If the kid/s do not prefer college, we will be able to provide support for a small business or world travel. 

Another question my wife and I discuss is how to reveal the amount saved.  Do you plan to tell your kids, "We have $100K for you, use it wisely."?  Or, closer to where we land, do you plan to ask them to create their own budget and request funds?
If one receives a scholarship, one's parents may remove that amount, penalty free, from the 529.

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »
If one receives a scholarship, one's parents may remove that amount, penalty free, from the 529.

Really?!  That would be great, but I have not seen that in my research.  I have seen 10% penalty, plus state taxes on input, plus state taxes on earnings.

http://www.savingforcollege.com/questions-answers/article.php?article_id=137

I know that the plans can differ state by state.  Can you point me to a better reference?  Thanks!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 06:59:01 AM »
Some of my coworkers talk around the coffee pot about how smart they are for setting up 529 plans for their kids.  I'm fine with that, but the same coworkers are only saving 5% towards their retirement.  Savings should be in this order in my opinion:

Emergency fund
Short term savings
401k up to match
HSA up to match
IRA up to max
401k up to max
HSA up to max
Taxable accounts needed to supplement the above
Then finally 529

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »

Really?!  That would be great, but I have not seen that in my research.  I have seen 10% penalty, plus state taxes on input, plus state taxes on earnings.

http://www.savingforcollege.com/questions-answers/article.php?article_id=137

I know that the plans can differ state by state.  Can you point me to a better reference?  Thanks!
It is in the link you posted, lol. "The third option is to withdraw the extra funds. The earnings in your account will be subject to income tax either on your return or your child’s. Normally, there would be a a 10% additional federal tax on the earnings portion as well, which is penalty for taking a nonqualified withdrawal, but the penalty is waived when scholarships are the reason for it. In effect, the scholarships have turned your tax-free 529 investment into a tax-deferred 529 investment."

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
LOL!  I stopped at the world PENALTY.  Thanks!

My concern about 529s is still valid if the kid chooses not to pursue college.  I want to be able to support many different options!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
LOL!  I stopped at the world PENALTY.  Thanks!

My concern about 529s is still valid if the kid chooses not to pursue college.  I want to be able to support many different options!
Well, you can support some option, trade school, college, hell, even you taking a community college course.  Also, check if the deferment is worth the 10% penalty.  For example, if deferring taxes for 30 years is worth 10%, I'd go for it (and I think it is).  However, I would use the 529 last.  I am not using it yet (though I did for part of my own) because I have not maxed out my 403 and my Roths.  But I would before using a taxable account.