Author Topic: Interesting SWR calculator  (Read 2113 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Interesting SWR calculator
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »
This type of calculator may have been posted here before.  Sorry I didn't see it.

http://www.passion saving.com/retirement-calculator.html

I typed in the current S and P 500 PE of 19%,  TIPS 1,  100% stock allocation and since it only figures for 30 years, 100% balance.   It guestimates a 3% SWR *

Take a look for fun.   

One would need to assume, that if retiring at 35,  a 65 year time horizon would be more appropriate.  Since 100% of the starting balance would only be something like 50% inflation adjusted after 30 years. 

Anyone have a better calculator that takes into account the current PE and extends 60 years?

Thanks,  Bob Werner

*(the TIPS shouldn't matter on a 100% stock portfolio)

*(and as always, huge assumptions are made here about the future for 30 years looking pretty much like the past 100 years.  That's a huge crystal ball prediction! A prediction that would be illegal with many security licensees)

[MOD EDIT: Broke link on purpose.  Will explain below.]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:14:51 PM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Interesting SWR calculator
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »
MOD NOTE: So the author of that site has been banned from many, many online discussion forums, including, but not limited to, early-retirement.org and bogleheads.

His views are.. controversial, to say the least, and his ways of expressing them not pleasant.

I edited the OP to break the link (by adding in a space), because I'd rather not have the author showing up here, and too many referrals (clicks) may have him check the source of where the clicks are coming from and have that lead him over here.

If you'd like to visit the site, cut and paste it into your web browser address bar and remove the space.

Cheers!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.