Author Topic: 1 year later - from 10% savings to 50% savings rate  (Read 6213 times)

eudaimonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1 year later - from 10% savings to 50% savings rate
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
It has been one year since my wife and I started getting serious about our savings. We've gone from saving about $500-$600 a month of our gross income to saving approximately $3,700 a month of our gross income. Our gross income is about $6,700. Two working adults no kids, have a house, one car, one bike.

Specific actions we took in the past year:

Sept 2013: Read all of MMM and got the message. Signed up for Mint. Started looking at major discretionary expenses
Oct  2013: Eliminated 80% of our eating out. Eliminated my gadget buying (savings $250 monthly). No more protein supplements. Eat real food.
Nov 2013: Eliminated ski season (approximate savings $3k over 3 months). Paid off credit cards completely. Will never hold CC balance again.
Dec 2013: Did largely homemade gifts for Christmas (approximate savings $1k). Signed up for airlines miles with new CC.
Obtained 200k airline miles in next 6 months.
Jan 2014: Cut back on hobby expenses and impulse spending (appoximate savings $100 a month)
Feb 2014: Didn't make much progress
Mar 2014: Started reducing our grocery bill of $650 a month down to $500 a month. Currently spending $350 a month. Went from shopping at expensive Whole Foods type stores to shopping at Grocery Outlet and Costco. Wife and I take our own lunches now 100% of all days. No more special Friday lunches out.
Apr 2014: Decided to delay all non essential upgrades to the house (savings $200 a month). No new patio furniture etc.
May 2014: Setup a ghetto attic fan to reduce A/C costs (two small fans from Big lots and 2 extension cords). Cost $50. Savings $400 over the next few months. Switched to taking vegan lunches - savings $50/month. Lose pants sizes in following months.
Jun 2014: Frugal vacation. Flew to Cabo for free (airlines miles). Have existing timeshare (yes stupid us). Total cost $1200 (including timeshare maint. fee). Fixed roof leak for $25 instead of hiring it out.
July 2014: Started line drying laundry. Cut electric bill from prior year $250 to $82 for July. Switched from Mint to my own excel spreadsheet. Tracking expenses weekly down to the penny. Start picking up pennies I see on the ground everywhere. No money escapes me or my wife.
Aug 2014: Wife started carpooling. Cut monthly gasoline bill from $200 to $100 (yes she has a stupid commute that will be gone after this year). I bike to work.
Sep 2014: Started doing a full 110k maint. on our Honda. Will save about $250 on this major service doing it myself. Trading some homebrew beer to a former mechanic friend of mine who will show me the ropes.

During this time we've paid off our credit card balances of $7,500 and have saved $25,000. We've also hit our 401k match. Next goal is to start maxing our 401ks after the FU money target is hit.

6 month goals: Remove PMI, pay off remaining car loan ($4,000)
1 year goal: Have set aside $50k FU money then start making the retirement accounts cry with all the money that flies into them.
5 year goal: Work is optional.

Thank you all for the inspiration. Thank you MMM for the face punches.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:37:09 PM by eudaimonia »

schimt

• Bristles
Re: 1 year later - from 10% savings to 50% savings rate
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
amazing progress! congrats and sounds like your DW is on board a 110%. Keep up the good work

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
That's amazing! We are working on getting there together. Hope to be in your shoes one day.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
That's an impressive turnaround and you've made some fantastic accomplishments in just 1 year!

Just to be the devil's advocate here...
- Be careful about your attic fan setup. I'm sure its probably safe, but if you have an electrician friend to confirm that would be a good thing. Last thing you need is a fire due to shorting, overheating, etc. as those fans give 'r shit over your long summers.

- $50k is a pretty huge emergency / FU fund. You may be better off slowing contributions to this fund and look at tax-advantaged savings instead. With your new lower spending it could be very financially savvy to max your 401(k) / IRA now and put less in your e-fund.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
I love posts like this.  Congrats eudaimonia!

July 2014: ... Start picking up pennies I see on the ground everywhere. No money escapes me or my wife.

So simple, yet profound.

eudaimonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
amazing progress! congrats and sounds like your DW is on board a 110%. Keep up the good work

Thanks, and yes I'm fortunate to have such an amazing wife. She has always been frugal and had been waiting on me to show up in this area. Now that I've gotten serious she was comfortable to cut her spending as well.

That's amazing! We are working on getting there together. Hope to be in your shoes one day.

You can do it. As you can see we started pretty small and just started tackling what we could. As we started to see success that fueled the desire to keep going.

That's an impressive turnaround and you've made some fantastic accomplishments in just 1 year!

Just to be the devil's advocate here...
- Be careful about your attic fan setup. I'm sure its probably safe, but if you have an electrician friend to confirm that would be a good thing. Last thing you need is a fire due to shorting, overheating, etc. as those fans give 'r shit over your long summers.

- $50k is a pretty huge emergency / FU fund. You may be better off slowing contributions to this fund and look at tax-advantaged savings instead. With your new lower spending it could be very financially savvy to max your 401(k) / IRA now and put less in your e-fund.

Yep, the fans function just as they would if they were in a bedroom. We just point them from the attic entry towards the exit. They are only running a few hours a day when we are home and when we need them. They are plugged into a regular outlet just like a regular fan.

Totally agree. However, some things aren't just about the money. In this case my wife and I have never had a good sized stache. We are enjoying seeing it and knowing that we won't be putting an emergency car repair or other emergency expense on our credit cards is priceless. I'm sure the novelty will wear off and we'll start putting more in the 401k as time goes by.

I love posts like this.  Congrats eudaimonia!

July 2014: ... Start picking up pennies I see on the ground everywhere. No money escapes me or my wife.

So simple, yet profound.

Thanks! Yes, it is this mindset that is so simple but key.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »
Nice job, guys! Very impressive.

usmarine1975

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
I even pick up pennies that are not heads up.  People look at me like I am nuts.  My son enjoy's putting them in his piggy bank.  With the 2nd on the way not sure how we will split a penny, maybe have to wait until we have more then one.  I have even found quarters, and dollar coins on the street.  Makes no sense to me, it is money after all. 

Biking to work I think I have found over a dollar in change already.  If it's safe to do so I always stop.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
Lol! When I see "tails" pennies, I turn them over and leave them so they'll be "lucky" for someone else. Anything over a penny, I pick up, "lucky" or not!

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
Impressive timeline.  That will really help motivate others!  I like that you have concrete goals set-up, many people forget that step.  Good luck!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
That's one amazing turnaround!

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Love this story! Especially the part about trading homebrew for car knowledge!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
Super inspiring, Eudiamonia!

And I love this, Diane! I'm totally gonna start flipping unlucky pennies :)!
Lol! When I see "tails" pennies, I turn them over and leave them so they'll be "lucky" for someone else. Anything over a penny, I pick up, "lucky" or not!

usmarine1975

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
I pick them up and my luck well I don't believe in luck. Many broken mirrors would have destroyed any luck anyway even if I did buy it.