Author Topic: A Sale a Day (for November)  (Read 9349 times)

Melissa

• Stubble
A Sale a Day (for November)
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
I am starting this post in conjuction with Tradies wife post on Nothing New November.  We also decided to add the additional challenge of selling an item each day in November.  A great way to get some extra cash for our 'staches or to offset costs from the holidays.

Anyone want to take part in this challenge?  If so, what do you plan on selling? 
will be put aside on
I may not have the time to list something everyday, but I am batching items up so that I can make one or two listings a week as time allows.  As of today I have two complete sets of books, my Nook Color with cover, and 2 ten pound boxes of Legos ready to list on Ebay.

And what are everyone's plans for the money they make?  Ours will be put aside in a fund for a summer trip with the kids.

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A Sale a Day (for November)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »
I definitely support what you're doing - going above and beyond the other challenges, clearing out your life, questioning things, and making some cash while you do so.

I would participate, but I'm already nearly down to my lowest possible amount of possessions.

In 2011, I went from 35 boxes (2ft by 1ft by 1ft) to 4 boxes (same size) and a chair & bicycle. That's all I own.

The only things I spend money on are access or experience oriented. It's a wonderful life now that I've put in the work to simplify.

Best wishes! Keep it up

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
Here's my list so far of things to sell:

Books (The Hubs has 5 bankers boxes full)
1 flute
1 piccolo
Service for 12 of my wedding china plus assorted other serving pieces (Lenox)
9 Waterford Crystal wine glasses
Kid clothes
Kid toys
The Hubs excess clothing (I got rid of mine months ago, but I will probably pare down some more)
2 Stella & Dot necklaces I don't wear
3 computer printers we no longer use
1 laptop (Asus)
Medical walker and other related medical equipment (I don't need them any more -post surgery)
3 paintings if I can find buyers
5 piece set of MacKenzie Childs collectibles
My tap shoes -2 or 3 pair, can't remember (My physical therapist says ballet and jazz will eventually be okay with smaller range of motion, tap not ok due to the impact)
Coach leather briefcase

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
Ok, I'm in. This will be a real challenge since my wife and I went through all our things in January and sold/gave away most of the stuff we could agree on. I'm usually the driving force on purging so doing it amiably will be biggest part of the challenge.

Additionally I also need some mustachian advice. I've sold a number of things on Craigslist but only items I know I can get at least $100 for. Typically we give most of our discard items to charity. How do you sell smaller dollar items and make it worth your time?

A couple of items I can think of:

1. bowflex selecttech 1090 (adjustable dumbbells)
2. Macbook circa 2005
3. Clothing
4. 6 boxes of "things" sitting in our closet.. I really have no idea what is in there (my hunch is it's Christmas decorations).

I'll have to complete the list once I'm home and can see the "stuff".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:40:03 AM by StashinIt »

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
kkbmustang... what kind of flute is it? I have a beginner flute that I want to sell because it does not please my ear at all. I'm looking to upgrade to something in the Gemeinhardt 3sb neighborhood... used, of course.

Anyways, with the holidays approaching, I think the timing on this challenge is great and I think I shall join this challenge.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
kkbmustang... what kind of flute is it? I have a beginner flute that I want to sell because it does not please my ear at all. I'm looking to upgrade to something in the Gemeinhardt 3sb neighborhood... used, of course.

Well, it is a Gemeinhardt 3SSB (open hole). I just sold it on ebay. If, for some reason, the buyer craps out on paying, it's yours for $450.

I also just got notification that the piccolo sold ($300) and that payment hit my paypal account.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
DROOL! I'd happily buy it if your ebay buyer poops out on you!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
DROOL! I'd happily buy it if your ebay buyer poops out on you!

I wish I'd have known before I listed it on ebay. I'd rather sell it to a Mustachian!

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
At least I have my piano to console me :P

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:55:32 AM »
LOVE it. Because it is slightly out of my comfort zone, and we really do need a clear out.

Somethings I'm just chucking, and others I'm selling.
I've put 4 books and my daughters tap shoes that she has grown out of up for sale. Hopefully they will all sell, fingers crossed.
I'd also love to have a garage sale to get rid of a bunch of stuff.... that would be nice.

liquidbanana

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
Man, how the heck are you people selling anything? I've had a washing machine and air purifier on craigslist for a month with absolutely no replies. And my prices are cheap.

Other than those two things, I'm down to the bare essentials. After moving like five times in two years, I've gotten rid of tons of crap, thank goodness.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
Man, how the heck are you people selling anything? I've had a washing machine and air purifier on craigslist for a month with absolutely no replies. And my prices are cheap.

Other than those two things, I'm down to the bare essentials. After moving like five times in two years, I've gotten rid of tons of crap, thank goodness.

I listed the flute and piccolo on CL two different times and I heard nothing. Then, I listed on ebay and had buyers in like 15 minutes. It was crazy. 

Try the air purifier on ebay. Not so sure about the washing machine. But, if you can't find a buyer and you itemize your taxes, you could donate it to a 501(c)(3) and take the write-off.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »

I hear you ... I've been renewing 3 listings for a couple of weeks now, all with good stuff and good prices, and I have sold precisely one book (the book listing has probably about 50 titles, popular authors, hardcovers and trade paperbacks as well as regular paperbacks).  That one book sold just today, so as of today, my Craiglist efforts have netted me exactly $5.  I'm not giving up though ... I renewed and edited the listings this morning, and I'm about to go list the stuff on kijiji too. 

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
Quick status update. I'm really failing at this challenge. I took a load of stuff to goodwill this weekend.. and did not attempt to sell any of it!

• Turns out my wife gave the Mac I mentioned to her sister, so that's good
  • Dumbbells are listed on craigslist
  • I have a box of corning ware  to sell now

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
Well I've chucked a heap of stuff out.... a heap. I've also sold my first lot of three items on ebay. Hooray!!! But alas, if I were to do an item a day I'd be lagging behind for the past two days.

Garage sale should help boost that up significantly.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
The Hubs took five boxes of books to Half Price Books today. Add $15 to the Christmas fund. Add the net $700 from the flute and piccolo and we're at $715. 

I've got 12 lenox dinner plates listed on ebay with 1 bid so far. The auction ends in a couple of days, so I'll have something to report from that soon. 

I still have tons of stuff to list. There's no way I'm spending every dime on Christmas, so whatever is left over goes to wiping out the last of the CCs (which are on track to be paid off this month) or into savings.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
Thank you for the motivation. I need to try again on Ebay. First item didn't sell. I'm going to give it another go.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
My first items ended last night on Ebay.

Nook Color and Case $83
Left Behind book series-paperback $20.99
Series of Unfortunate Events book series-hardback $36

My son has his Nintendo DSi and a couple of games ending tonight. 

I have some scrapbooking items and a glider rocker to get rid of next.  Plus, my daughters and I are trying to finish up some holiday cards to post on Etsy.

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »
Now way in front for this challenge. loads of stuff sold at garage sale, one day to go as well. Approximately, 20 items sold. That means that I'm up to approx 23 items for the month. So at least 7 more to sell!

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
He, He, He... cackle cackle. I'm OVER 30 items a month by far.

I've just sold 24 items of clothing + 8 shed items. Yeah baby! I'm up to at least 55 items for the month.
Loving the clear out :)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
I sold 7 plates for $42. Take out fees and I'll probably net $35. The buyer of the piccolo was unhappy with some wear on it (that I disclosed, but whatever), so I've agreed to reimburse her the $53 from her music repair shop. So, we're still at about $715. Still have more to list.

Plus, we donated 3 garbage bags full of clothes and 2 boxes of legos/toys to a charitable organization. I don't have the desire to list all of that stuff or have a garage sale. 

It feels really good to get rid of all of the excess crap in the house. And the crazy thing is, we still have tons left!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
Way to Go, you guys, for flexing those uncluttering muscles!  Making some money at it is a nice bonus too :-)

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »
Thanks PJ :)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 06:52:27 AM »
I wish I'd noticed this thread a few weeks ago.  What a great idea.

I think I'll jump in and make my sale a day between now and Christmas Eve.

Thanks for the motivation!

Now to round up stuff to take to the second hand store.  And list that Royal Doulton figurine on kijiji.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
I sold an old textbook for $45 earlier this month (I have a number of them listed on half.com and amazon.com, but they are all pretty old, so they don't move very quickly).  I just listed an old bath mat thing that's been in my garage on ebay - happy to see no listing charges...

It's been a while since I sold something on ebay, do they offer free listings for basic products now, or did I happen to catch some sort of promotion here?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
Love this challenge, @Melissa.

I'm selling so much stuff.  Made $35 at the second hand store today (sold three things), and two items on kijiji and more people coming to look at stuff tomorrow.  Clearly, I should have done this before.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
This challenge has been a great motivator for getting things out of the house.

We have now sold over $540 worth of stuff on Ebay and I have 5 boxes/bags of donations to drop of later this week.  I also have some things to post to our local homeschooling.

Now, if we can keep the clutter from creeping back in to the house I will be forever happy.  Somehow with three kids though, I think the clutter will just keep coming.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
This challenge has been a great motivator for getting things out of the house.

We have now sold over $540 worth of stuff on Ebay and I have 5 boxes/bags of donations to drop of later this week.  I also have some things to post to our local homeschooling.

Now, if we can keep the clutter from creeping back in to the house I will be forever happy.  Somehow with three kids though, I think the clutter will just keep coming.

Congrats!

This weekend the kids listed some items on CraigsList. I told them they could keep whatever cash they earned from selling their stuff. My son made $75 by selling a used Nintendo DS and my daughter earned $21 by cleaning up and selling an old doll house.

I didn't sell anything this week, but I did do some Christmas shopping with the money I've already earned from selling stuff. I'm trying to purchase services and gifts from local businesses and craftspeople (think Etsy) this year for the adults.

I will be shipping 7 plates of my china tomorrow and, for a merry christmas surprise to the buyer, will be throwing in an extra plate.

I still have a lot more to sell, but I like the idea of selling stuff to get stuff without impacting my savings goals. I want a new overstuffed chair for my office, so I'll have to find something big to sell. I will buy the chair used on Craig'sList. Then, I'd like to get a new sectional for my family room. Again, will have to sell my current sofa and get the "new" sofa off of Craig'sList. Works for me.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
It's been a while since I sold something on ebay, do they offer free listings for basic products now, or did I happen to catch some sort of promotion here?
They charge you at the other end. Listing is free, then they keep 9% if you make the sale.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Additionally I also need some mustachian advice. I've sold a number of things on Craigslist but only items I know I can get at least $100 for. Typically we give most of our discard items to charity. How do you sell smaller dollar items and make it worth your time?

Not hard and fast, but our rule seems to be about $10 for eBay since shipping is covered and we don't have to deal with as much bullsh*t from people in person.  It's more like at least $20 for CL.

It didn't feel like it would be worth it when we first started with eBay, but now my DH can make a listing in about 5 minutes and we print the label at home and send it at work (no extra trips to the post office) so it feels worth it for us.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
I completely failed at this challenge. I sold a few things and gave away some things to charity but did not come close to selling 30 items.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
I didn't sell 30 items, but I sold enough to fund Christmas, which is fine by me. Also gave away quite a bit, too. I'll still continue to list stuff, though.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
I completely failed at this challenge. I sold a few things and gave away some things to charity but did not come close to selling 30 items.

I don't think that's a complete failure.  I think any decluttering/selling is good.  And you can always do the same in December.

I didn't sell 30 items, but I sold enough to fund Christmas, which is fine by me. Also gave away quite a bit, too. I'll still continue to list stuff, though.

That's great!  I started a week ago and I've made about $70.  To fund Christmas by doing so is such an accomplishment.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
We did it!!  Over 30 things sold this month

The kids wanted Ipods and sold old toys and electronics on Ebay.  They also learned they could buy their devices cheaper on Ebay.  My son was able to get a 4th generation 32gb ipod with charger, earbuds, and case for under $180. And he sold enough to cover his cost and have some cash left over.

Our key to big Ebay sales is that my kids keep their things in excellent condition.  When they get new items for Christmas and birthday they always keep the original packaging and instructions.  They have sold Legos for more than their original prices because some of the sets are no longer for sale.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
Wow! Great Job!

We did it!!  Over 30 things sold this month

The kids wanted Ipods and sold old toys and electronics on Ebay.  They also learned they could buy their devices cheaper on Ebay.  My son was able to get a 4th generation 32gb ipod with charger, earbuds, and case for under $180. And he sold enough to cover his cost and have some cash left over.

Our key to big Ebay sales is that my kids keep their things in excellent condition.  When they get new items for Christmas and birthday they always keep the original packaging and instructions.  They have sold Legos for more than their original prices because some of the sets are no longer for sale.