Author Topic: From PBS: "Thirty Years Ago they Retired"  (Read 6807 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: From PBS: "Thirty Years Ago they Retired"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:51:48 AM »
They sound happy. I may have to read Terhost's book to find out more about how their younger years were spent preparing for retirement.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
Nice to see they are still happy and living a wonderful life!  That said, homelessness is not for me.  I would rather have a home base and take periodic trips around the world. 

The choice to do what you want is the point of it all :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
They're living the dream.  I love that they've done it longer than I've been alive.

I'm planning on setting off on a similar adventure (with one major change, we'll have a child for the first 18 years of it) in just a few short years.

Thanks for sharing!

I love reading about the Terhosts and the Kaderlis (and the Schultes, for that matter, though they've been doing it for much less time than the former two).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »
Cool.  I like how he says he has been hospitalized many times around the world with many things, including cancer, and then goes on to say he is in good health.  Talk about an optimism gun!  I think this is very important as we age.  Growing up, I watched one set of grandparents let health problems drag them down, while the other set forged ahead and enjoyed their lives despite just as many, if not more, health problems.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
I clicked through on the link in the article to his blog and read his take on who they think is ideally suited to the PT lifestyle.  He does not criticize or invalidate others who may not be up to it.

What strikes me is that they have supportive families, healthy parents who lived to ripe old ages, and have an easy time making social connections as they travel.  Family responsibilities would hold many people back.  Some of these responsibilities may be real, but others may not be "real" -- such as the sense of obligation and guilt that comes with being there for people who can have their medical, social, and economic concerns met through other means.    These "moral obligations" could be the topic of another post entirely.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »
This is my retirement dream.  I love Paul's tips on the blog.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
Wow!  The Terhosts retirement is very different from my RE dream, but I'm inspired.  They've shifted their investment strategy, weathered the market crashes, and handled healthcare issues.  Thanks for sharing the article, Trudie!

Spartana

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
I clicked through on the link in the article to his blog and read his take on who they think is ideally suited to the PT lifestyle.  He does not criticize or invalidate others who may not be up to it.

What strikes me is that they have supportive families, healthy parents who lived to ripe old ages, and have an easy time making social connections as they travel.  Family responsibilities would hold many people back.  Some of these responsibilities may be real, but others may not be "real" -- such as the sense of obligation and guilt that comes with being there for people who can have their medical, social, and economic concerns met through other means.    These "moral obligations" could be the topic of another post entirely.
I'm a huge fan of the Terhorsts and read their book many years ago and it really inspired me. Their life is one I'd like for myself - with a few differences. I would be doing something similar overseas if I didn't have pets, instead I my travel in North America so my dog can come with me. In my personal experience, I have found that being a PT (not that I am one now as I own a house but have been and will be again soon) is that, since you aren't tied to one place like working people are, if family needs arise you can almost instantly be there for them. When I first retired early I was able to travel a lot yet, when my Mom became sick, it was easy for me to return to help out. The Terhorsts do put themselves in some longer term situations (rents) but one or the other of them could easily hop a plane and be there for family if ever needed. probably with more ease then a person living far from family who worked, had a mortgage, children, etc...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:22:26 PM by Spartana »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
The article about their life was awesome!  I am too much of a homebody & have 4 dogs so it would not be for me but they sound really happy.   If I am gone longer then 2 weeks I go into doggy withdrawal:))

Rpesek6904

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 06:58:14 AM »
If anyone is interested in doing this with a "home base"  and maybe a little "early" then they could consider getting a job with the airlines. I just learned that at Delta you can work 16 hours a week at a hourly rate/front desk type job and qualify for free flights anywhere in the world for you, your wife, your children and your parents (general details). That blew my mind and I've filed it in my memory for when I do retire.

Spartana

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
If anyone is interested in doing this with a "home base"  and maybe a little "early" then they could consider getting a job with the airlines. I just learned that at Delta you can work 16 hours a week at a hourly rate/front desk type job and qualify for free flights anywhere in the world for you, your wife, your children and your parents (general details). That blew my mind and I've filed it in my memory for when I do retire.
That's a great deal but probably a way different lifestyle the Terhorst lead. Their whole thing is about living inexpensively in foreign places longish term and becoming part of the culture/community and not just travelling for a week here or there occasionally - which I assume is what a person would have to do in order to keep their job at Delta as I don't think they'd let you take off months or years at a time. But regardless, the Delta deal is sweet for people who like short term travel to different places thru out the year. I'm more like the Terhorsts in that I'd like to be able to go for as long as I want and stay in whatever area of the world I want for as long as I want with out the hassle of having to worry about my house back in the states. It would kind of tie you down having that anchor if you wanted to just be free from time constraints.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
That's a great deal but probably a way different lifestyle the Terhorst lead. Their whole thing is about living inexpensively in foreign places longish term and becoming part of the culture/community and not just travelling for a week here or there occasionally - which I assume is what a person would have to do in order to keep their job at Delta as I don't think they'd let you take off months or years at a time. But regardless, the Delta deal is sweet for people who like short term travel to different places thru out the year. I'm more like the Terhorsts in that I'd like to be able to go for as long as I want and stay in whatever area of the world I want for as long as I want with out the hassle of having to worry about my house back in the states. It would kind of tie you down having that anchor if you wanted to just be free from time constraints.

+1.  Slow travel is the way to go, for me.

But for others, it could be a great ER job.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
I know I want a home base. I love growing things, doing things in my community, watching my plans develop over years. However, I also like exploring places and have settled on a couple of (at least) month long trips a year - going very slowly. Perhaps I will branch out and become a perpetual traveler, but I don't think I am made that way.