Author Topic: 1000+ miles/wk commute!  (Read 2976 times)

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
1000+ miles/wk commute!
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
https://screen.yahoo.com/videos-for-you/virginia-man-commutes-220-miles-035058533.html?vp=1

This blows my mind.  I'm a long way from being car frugal but this guy drives in a day what I'm sure some people here drive in a month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
Re: 1000+ miles/wk commute!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
But it is his dream job! 

That is rough.  Coordinating four separate legs of his daily commute must be a pain too. 

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
At least his commute is multi-modal (drive, then car-share, then mass  transit) rather than driving the entire way.

Roinsborg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
I commuted 100 miles each way (200 miles round trip) 5 days a week for a little over two years.  It wasn’t ideal, but in my particular case the math came out slightly in favor of commuting as long as I valued my free time (the time that would be spent driving) as worthless.  There were other non-monetary factors that played into the decision as well.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
These articles always amaze me, and some dummy, masquerading as a reporter, pumps one out every few years.  Not because of the content, but because of how clueless the writer actually is.

We raised our kids in Monroe County PA. This is one of two counties that are on the extreme eastern border of the state and directly west of NYC (with the ENTIRE state of NJ between them). Starting in the late eighties, the region had a huge boom in population that lasted for two decades, tripled the population, and was driven, almost exclusively, by super-commuters. That being folks who work in the NYC metro area and live TWO states away. We literally had tens of thousands of folks who did, and continued to commute insane distances every day. IIRC, the latest census data showed that at least 4K of them work inside the city itself, which guarantees a 200 mile plus round trip, and 5-6 hours a day on the road. I spent two decades watching a parade of commuters leave my neighborhood at five AM to drive 5-10 miles to a bus lot, then spend 2-1/2 HRS on a bus. Once the bus hit NYC, they then have to grab a bus, subway or walk the rest of the way. At 7:30 to 8:00 PM every night they would return home.  My home was 98 miles from Wall St.

Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't condone this stupidity, as it is not only a really bad choice from a financial standpoint, it is also highly destructive to your health, and to attempting to raise a family in a responsible manner. But, claiming that anybody with a 1000/wk commute has anything special going on in life, only clarifies the fact that the author failed to do any research in the least. I have a friend who was an HR director in the San Francisco bay area, and had 800 employees. He claims that prior to the collapse of the boom, 100 mile + commutes from cheap cities WAY east of the bay, were far from unusual with his staff.  I'm sure others here on the forum know of similar situations, particularly now that many Canadian cities are seeing stratospheric housing prices?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
I am glad I'm in a field that doesn't require living near some over-crowded traffic hell-hole.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!