Author Topic: FinCon14 questions for Mustachians  (Read 5324 times)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
FinCon14 questions for Mustachians
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
On Monday night I'm boarding the plane for FinCon14.  This is my third one, and I'm doing the full experience with the "pro" pass (extra networking events) plus blogger camp.
http://finconexpo.com/

I'm going to spend the entire time with friends who I might only see once a year, but I won't be spending it on this forum.  I don't think that I'll even see much of MMM and Ms. MMM because they'll be mobbed by the other 497 personal-finance bloggers and FinCon sponsors (and paparazzi).  Before I drop off this forum for a couple of weeks, though, let me ask for your feedback so that I can bring back some of FinCon to share.

I get a lot of ideas for my writing from here.  Are there any questions that you'd ask of us rank & file bloggers at FinCon if you were there?  I don't know Chris Ducker or Jeff Goins or Dr. Daniel Crosby, and I'm probably not going to stand in line for the honor.  I might get a chance to say hello to Farnoosh Torabi because I was one of the crowd who helped with her pre-launch publicity on "When She Makes More".  Ellie Kay is a good friend, and we'll talk about her projects. I know a lot of the other speakers and I've spoken with some of them before.

Instead of chatting up the keynotes, I expect to spend my time with other military personal finance bloggers, other servicemembers & veterans who are also bloggers, and more blogger friends who I've met online or at other conferences.   They're financial writers their 20s and 30s, a few in their 40s and 50s, and some of them earn their whole living as self-employed entrepreneurs.  The entire FinCon attendee list is here if there's someone you think I should talk with:
http://finconexpo.com/attendee-list/

I'm also doing 10-minute "speed dating" sessions with the following FinCon sponsors:  MoneyTips.com, USAA, State Farm, Fidelity, the National Endowment for Financial Education, and Vanguard.  They'll explain to me why I should write for them, and I'll explain to them why they could help me sell more books.  Are there any other questions you'd want to ask these guys if you were in my chair?

If you're going to FinCon too, please say hello-- I'm the middle-aged balding ponytailed surfer in the aloha shirt and rubber slippers.  If I'm with a group then please join us.

I'll check this thread up until I get on the plane.  While I'm gone, my online time will be mostly Facebook and Twitter.  When I'm back, I'll search this forum for the keywords "Nords" and "military", but e-mail or PM me if you want to make sure you reach me.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: FinCon14 questions for Mustachians
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
Nords,

Thanks for the offer to pose questions.  Here's one that I've been pondering:

Is there a consensus "best" (or "3 best", etc.) financial course for high school or college students?  Noted your mention of the National Endowment for Financial Education and took a quick look - I'd guess that's one option...?

Looking to interact with the local school district and hoping to be more helpful than say "you ought to do something."  E.g., say "you ought to do something and here are proven options complete with syllabus, lesson plans, etc."  Also if a particular length and meeting frequency (5X/wk for a year or semester, 2X/wk for a month, other...?) has been tried and found better than others?

Thanks again, and have fun!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
Is there a consensus "best" (or "3 best", etc.) financial course for high school or college students?  Noted your mention of the National Endowment for Financial Education and took a quick look - I'd guess that's one option...?
Looking to interact with the local school district and hoping to be more helpful than say "you ought to do something."  E.g., say "you ought to do something and here are proven options complete with syllabus, lesson plans, etc."  Also if a particular length and meeting frequency (5X/wk for a year or semester, 2X/wk for a month, other...?) has been tried and found better than others?
Good question-- wish I'd thought of that!  I hope it has a bunch of answers.

I've used these tools from America Saves for the military family version:
http://americasaves.org/for-savers/young-america-saves/resources-for-young-savers

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
Hope you have a good and productive trip nords. Big fan of your writing. No questions come to mind. Wish I were a fly on the wall there to see what its all about though.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »
Hope you have a good and productive trip nords. Big fan of your writing. No questions come to mind. Wish I were a fly on the wall there to see what its all about though.
Lots of CPAs there.  Some of them are doing presentations or working their business, and others are learning more about the blogging & social media side of the business.  Philip Taylor, the guy who started FinCon, is a CPA.  But he likes being a blogger and conference entrepreneur a lot better.

I'm not shilling for the house, but all of the presentations are professionally recorded by an audio-visual team.  The presenters wear mics, the crew works the camera and the sound board from the back of the room, and all of the slides are also on screen and on file.  (You can even see the backs of the heads of us attendees...)  People who can't attend FinCon can still buy a virtual pass for $99.  The videos and files will be available two weeks later:
http://finconexpo.com/virtual-pass/
That link lists all of the presentations and topics so that you can decide whether it's worth the money.  Bloggers usually make that back within a month.  (Unless you're Pat Flynn, in which case it takes about 10 minutes.)  A virtual pass is part of the FinCon ticket that the attendees buy, but PT started doing this virtual pass because we were always pestering him for copies of the presentation slides.  Now he has an additional revenue stream that he can work like a sled dog in perpetuity...

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Nords, I am jealous!  I keep wanting to go but with my own wedding coming up, I should probably give this one a pass. 

My question would be, to some of the financial firms - Has there been ANY noticeable shift in marketing / public awareness / investor education tools towards "increasing savings rate" as opposed to "increase your savings efficiency" (cheaper/better funds, better allocation, more efficient investment location, etc)?

One of the things that MMM and the whole FI/RE movement have made me hyperaware of, as someone who works on Wall Street, is that it seems nearly NOBODY in the financial advisory world talks about increasing savings as "step one" towards being more financially secure.  As simple and sometimes face-punchy as it is, it is the first thing that I think many savers and would-be investors need to hear.  Everything else is important, don't get me wrong.  But for people saving 3 or 5% of their income, increasing THAT is probably the best thing they could do for themselves.  However, you can't put a brand/patent or create a product around "increasing your savings rate"...though I suppose a firm like Vanguard could do a PR campaign?

Incidentally, I just put in a job application to one of the companies that's presenting/attending, I wish I could be there to meet and greet some of the folks from the company. :(

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
Nords,

yes, this please.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
I'm sitting in a presentation with a married couple who are explaining "The Shockingly Simple Math of Early Retirement".

The audience includes Jim Collins, MMM, Mrs. MMM, Jim Munchbach, and probably more whose heads I don't recognize from the back. 

The presenters have already channeled Jacob Lund Fisker, Your Money Or Your Life, The Millionaire Next Door, J.D. Roth, Paula Pant.  And of course they've mentioned high savings rates.

Maybe some of the rest of the group includes people from Vanguard, Fidelity, Ally, Chase, and other financial institutions.  But those sponsors are upstairs in the exhibit hall.  The real revolution in higher savings rates appears to be fomenting down here in a tiny meeting room...

The National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE.org) has a lot of education partners.  For example there's FinancialWorkshopKits.org and CashCourse.org. 

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
I'm sitting in a presentation with a married couple who are explaining "The Shockingly Simple Math of Early Retirement".

The audience includes Jim Collins, MMM, Mrs. MMM, Jim Munchbach, and probably more whose heads I don't recognize from the back. 

Ha!

Maybe some of the rest of the group includes people from Vanguard, Fidelity, Ally, Chase, and other financial institutions.  But those sponsors are upstairs in the exhibit hall.  The real revolution in higher savings rates appears to be fomenting down here in a tiny meeting room...

Sigh.  Maybe some of them will wander in by mistake?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »

The National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE.org) has a lot of education partners.  For example there's FinancialWorkshopKits.org and CashCourse.org.

Thanks!  Keep those suggestions coming.  In my experience, kid education materials are hard to get right, especially in terms of making it interesting to kids.  I'm checking those two out and any more you send our way :).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm back and I'm finally beginning to feel caught up.  Part of this is a post-FinCon letdown and part of it is the fatigue (and viruses) that you encounter during 4900 miles of airplane travel.

I just clicked "Mark read" on about a thousand threads-- literally-- and I've searched for keywords.  If you're still awaiting my response to your post then please point me to it.

Four days of FinCon (and another 2+ days of New Orleans liberty) was even more impressive than my elevated expectations.  If today's blogging and FinCon had existed while I was on active duty, then right now I'd be signing my resignation letter for the Reserves.  I met more than 20 bloggers/entrepreneurs who have quit their day jobs in the last couple of years, and today they're all earning a lifestyle wage for themselves.  Several are into six figures.  A couple are pushing seven.  Two others (J.D. Roth and Jim Wang) cashed out their blogs several years ago for ~$1M and $3M respectively yet continue to create new projects (and new income streams).  These are just among the 100 or so people who I know relatively well, and there were over 500 bloggers at the conference.  I would say that a couple hundred million dollars will change hands among the attendees over the next year.  It's a gold rush out there, it's still growing, it is not a bubble, and we're all selling picks & shovels.

Part of FinCon was fun just because of shipmates who live nearby.  We've stayed in touch but this was the first time we've seen each other in a decade.  Part of it was fun just because of the people I met for the first time in person-- and kudos to the poster here who arranged a FinCon networking meeting with me just because you recognized my name from the forum and wanted to say hello.  Well played, sir! 

Another fun part of FinCon was spending lots of time with a friend and our spouses.  He and his spouse have been hosting our daughter during her last three months of training in a Mainland Navy port, and we had a great time comparing our experiences with our young adult.  (Luckily she made us all look good.)  He just passed his CFP exam so he helped our daughter with a thorough review of her new Navy finances ("My Dad says I'm supposed to do it this way.  Is that really the right answer?!?") and he even showed her an afternoon of counseling indebted sailors & officers at the local Navy Relief office.  I wish I'd had that help when I was her age.  His spouse is another powerful role model for our daughter, and now she has several mentors to stay in touch with.  And, of course, our two spouses were greatly amused by our geeky FinCon personal-finance behavior. 

I really enjoyed the end of FinCon when we closed down the bar after the awards ceremony.  A half-dozen of us (including MMM) were still busily chattering around a table when we noticed that the hotel staff were taking the other tables & chairs out of the room, and physically closing down the bar and rolling it away.  We finally broke up our group 20 minutes later.  MMM went out to the after-parties in the French Quarter caught up with Mrs. MMM & family while my spouse and I just went back to our room.  I collapsed under the aftermath of four days of talking ourselves hoarse, hyperstimulation, excess caffeine, and social overload.

There were four keynote speeches during FinCon, and I missed three of them because I was too busy yakking networking with other attendees.  Farnoosh Torabi gave a good talk but I'll have to catch up on the other three when the FinCon videos are posted.  I turned in pretty much the same attendance for the presentations... I think I only sat through three of them during the 2.5 days of the schedule.  One was the MMM couple mentioned above and another was Ellie Kay (EllieKay.com).  Frankly, Ellie gave the best talk of FinCon (she's been doing this for nearly two decades) and I hope to see her anchor a keynote next year.  The third presentation was a panel discussion of editors giving tips to freelancers.  By virtue of my military background (augmented perhaps by my aloha-shirt ponytailed surfer-dude branding) I made a connection that led to a freelance gig which is more valuable than my FinCon ticket.  I'm still donating all of my writing revenue to military charities, but if this keeps up then my freelancing could fund my Roth IRA.  Perhaps my spouse's Roth IRA too.  Imagine where it could go if I really applied myself and treated it like a full-time career.

On the statistics side, my Twitter followers are up over 10%.  My FB friends & followers have shot up 20%.  My book sales took a big spike last week.  I did several video interviews (which will lead to more media interviews) and I've been invited to a couple of podcasts.  The good news is that all of this activity is likely coming from bloggers who have huge audiences of their own, and those audiences include military readers.  You can't leverage that networking and outreach anywhere else.

Speaking of Mustachian resources, take another look at NEFE.org:
http://www.hsfpp.org/ for high-school students
http://info.cashcourse.org/ for college students
http://www.onyourown.org/ for everyone else
and finally, MoneyTips.com for their "Retiree Next Door" eBook as well as their network of advisors who will answer your questions for free.

I spent quite a bit of FinCon time with the MoneyTips team, and I'm going to do more videos and print interviews with them.  I'm going to help with their eBook projects, too, although they're still coming up with ideas for their next one.  They're practicing what they preach-- the video camera operator turned out to be quite a bit more than he seemed.  He spent three happy days shooting professional video because he likes to do that, but he's a co-founder and a serial entrepreneur with several multi-million-dollar exits on his record.  We'll get together next time he's on Oahu, maybe he'll spend some time with Hawaii Angels or Blue Startups, and there will be surfing.

I've been mentoring bloggers online for the last 18 months through BlogMentoring.com.  During FinCon I did a dedicated one-on-one session with BlogMentoring and EliteBlogAcademy, and I did another 1.5 days of mentoring during the pre-FinCon blogger camp.  If you feel that you really want the advice & support to get your blog up and running, please look into one of these programs.  You don't "need" them, but you may prefer to have the help.  The really alarming gratifying thing about these mentoring programs is that by the time you've been blogging for four years you're in the top 10% of the longevity bracket.  (In blogging years, you'd be well into your 80s.)  The sad news is that 30% of today's bloggers abandon their sites every year (for various reasons).  The good news is that three of the bloggers I've mentored (and finally met in person at FinCon) are turning into monster entrepreneurs.  One of them is already nearly financially independent, the other one will be there in five years, and the third has an amazing story of overcoming six figures of student debt.

If you're a blogger who is even thinking about making money on your blog, then you should attend a FinCon.  The FinCon15 location/dates will be announced next Feb/Mar but will probably be a mid-size mid-America town in Sep/Oct.  Until then, get a head start by applying to join the Facebook FinCon group.  The entrepreneurial activity (and the shared advice) is incredible.  I think the next generation will do just fine at earning their financial independence.

The weather in New Orleans was cooler than Hawaii.  Visiting the French Quarter when you're sober... well, it's just a waste of time.  Maybe Preservation Hall, but I there are reportedly dozens of other jazz venues outside the French Quarter offering more music and better deals.  After the obligatory pilgrimage to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and a tour around Jackson Square, we were pretty much finished with that region.  Huck Finn's is a nice place to drop in with 14 people for lunch, and their alligator sausage po' boy is good.  (Well, I wouldn't know whether or not it was really alligator-- but it was some sort of yummy spicy meat.  Nobody appreciated my humor about grass-fed free-range alligator filets.)  The Canal Street Marriott is a nice place to host a conference, and it has incredible views of the Mississippi merchant traffic, but otherwise I'd only go there to cash in rewards points.

Other questions? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Great report!  Loved your thorough details!

Sounds like a fun time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Great report!  Loved your thorough details!

Sounds like a fun time.

Agreed! A good read. Sounds like I would have enjoyed it, and I'm not even a blogger...