Author Topic: Theft-Proof Bike  (Read 6387 times)

the-seneca117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Theft-Proof Bike
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/self-locking-bike-impossible-steal-144102210.html

This seems like a great idea for commuting to work by bike, if you have to keep it outside during the day.

How many of you would support a kickstarter for it?
Would you buy it if it was reasonably priced?

hyla

• Stubble
Re: Theft-Proof Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
An agressive looking single speed with no fenders, chainguard, lights, or rack?  No, I wouldn't buy that, no matter how good the locking mechanism is.  I need a commuter that can carry stuff, and handle bad weather.  When all these designers set out to redesign the bicycle, they ignore all the practical but unexciting bike part designs that have been around for decades...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
No I would not buy it, even if it was reasonably priced. 

I don't see the benefit of this design over just carrying a dedicated bike lock which can be used on any bike your family owns, or on multiple bikes at once, and is easier and faster to use, and can be left behind to reduce weight when you don't need a lock, and doesn't compromise the structural integrity of your frame, and doesn't require you to reset your seat height for every ride.

I guess I'm glad that people are still thinking of ways to build a better mousetrap, but this particular design still needs some work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »
My hilly and windy 11 Mike commute would be miserable on a bike with no gearing like that.  Not seeing much benefit over using a regular lock.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
If there is a way for you to unlock your bike then there will be a way for someone else to steal it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
There are several designs on that page, and the video is the worst one of the bunch.  The "Denny" seems a little better, the lock is the handlebars and the rest of the bike is okay.  It has integrated lights, fender, and rack, and it has a belt drive and internal gearing.  Not so bad, if the price was right.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
An agressive looking single speed with no fenders, chainguard, lights, or rack?  No, I wouldn't buy that, no matter how good the locking mechanism is.  I need a commuter that can carry stuff, and handle bad weather.  When all these designers set out to redesign the bicycle, they ignore all the practical but unexciting bike part designs that have been around for decades...

Guys, these are prototypes demonstrating proof-of-concept for an integral lock. It's not surprising they don't (yet) have gearing/shifters/etc - keep it simpler while prototyping, until you are closer to a final design on the lock. That lets you spend more of your time on the innovation, rather than stuff that's a solved problem (gearing.)

The seat is an issue - the "easy adjust" nature of most seat post design makes them difficult to secure. I wonder if having an integral/semipermanent stop pin would be a good solution. Let you adjust the seat, but prevent it from being fully removed unless you had a key or special tool.

sfsellin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
That's a cool concept for sure, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy that bike and sacrifice other more important things about my commuter bike (fit/weight/gearing).

Locks are just keeping honest people honest. In San Francisco (holy bike theft!) I ride a nice Trek covered in black vinyl and stickers. I lock it up with a giant lock and pinhead security set up on the wheels/seat/stem. I think a 1/2'' hardened steel lock would probably keep you safer, and able to lock up more places.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »
Why make things so complicated? Just use the proper way to lock your bicycle.

I use a U lock through the rear frame and wheel, and wire a cable attached to my U lock through the front wheel. I have a decently valuable bike (~$500) and have locked it this way for 4 years, and I am still the current owner. So many people complain about bike theft, but those same people just don't lock their bikes properly.

Doaner19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »
anything can be stolen.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »
yet another industrial designer takes something functional and breaks it

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
I recently had the barrel of a bike lock sieze up on me badly. Unfortunately it was when I'd come back from the supermarket, carrying two panniers full of groceries to be ridden home... including an unfrozen chicken. In the middle of a very sunny day, and too far from home to walk home with so much groceries.
So I took a cab home and went to the hardware store to get some supplies. Went back to the bike, which was still locked, in the middle of the shopping centre. Graphite in the lock's barrel- wouldn't unlock. WD-40 in the lock's barrel, knowing full well it may destroy the lock- still wouldn't unlock. So then I got out the hacksaw. In the middle of the shopping centre. Which took no more than five minutes. Then rode it home.
The eye opener for me was that although I got a lot of very odd looks throughout the whole affair, not once did anyone ask waht I was doing, or call security on me. I could have stolen someone else's bike in broad daylight, in the middle of a shopping centre, and nobody would have pulled me up on it.
I agree- anything can be stolen. All locking up does is deter.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »
I recently had the barrel of a bike lock sieze up on me badly. Unfortunately it was when I'd come back from the supermarket, carrying two panniers full of groceries to be ridden home... including an unfrozen chicken. In the middle of a very sunny day, and too far from home to walk home with so much groceries.
So I took a cab home and went to the hardware store to get some supplies. Went back to the bike, which was still locked, in the middle of the shopping centre. Graphite in the lock's barrel- wouldn't unlock. WD-40 in the lock's barrel, knowing full well it may destroy the lock- still wouldn't unlock. So then I got out the hacksaw. In the middle of the shopping centre. Which took no more than five minutes. Then rode it home.
The eye opener for me was that although I got a lot of very odd looks throughout the whole affair, not once did anyone ask waht I was doing, or call security on me. I could have stolen someone else's bike in broad daylight, in the middle of a shopping centre, and nobody would have pulled me up on it.

This is why I rarely lock my bike (I also don't live in a large city, either, FWIW). It's also why I don't want a fancy, expensive looking bike. I used to lock my bike all the time, and I hated how much hassle it was. I currently ride a beater (one that's in good working order, but ugly; I locked more often when I had a nicer bike), and don't worry about it-- if someone steals it, they're not going to be able to sell it for much, and I'm out maybe $40 for another one (I'd have a second bike, but my Dad practically collects bikes, so I don't feel it's necessary).

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:58 AM »
Unrelated, but what is that they say?
All commuter bikes are 40 pounds: a 20 lb bike needs a 20 lb lock, a 30 lb bike needs a 10 lb lock, and a 40 lb bike you just leave there..

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »

I once had a key get stuck, and then break off, in a lock.  My husband had to come pick me up, and he later came back and sawed the lock off.  It took a good 10-15 minutes and no one tried to stop him, or said anything. 

I like knowing that at least I have a lock (mini u-lock) that takes some effort to get off, so it's more of a deterrent than, say, a chain lock.  And my bike (a '72 Schwinn Varsity; see my avatar) isn't super valuable.  Still, if someone really wanted it, they could have it.  :(

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
I think I'll stick with my £25 bike and my £30 lock.