Author Topic: Yikes! FIRE Countdown - How Are You Dealing?  (Read 15610 times)

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yikes! FIRE Countdown - How Are You Dealing?
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
I am two years - give or take - away from FIRE and I just can't stop thinking about it! Is this happening to anyone else and how did you/are you dealing with it? I know I should be enjoying life all the time, and in many ways I am, but the hours at work are just interminable. How do I prevent myself from day dreaming and slacking or just plain being grouchy?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Yikes! FIRE Countdown - How Are You Dealing?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
It only gets worse!

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
I'm almost 10 years from FIRE and every day I'm trying to learn new things to make the date come sooner.

It just comes along with being obsessed with obtaining your freedom. :-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
Oh god yes - this is happening to me!  In some ways I am happier at work because I have FU money+ and I have a finite amount of time left, and feel I can focus more on what specific, tangible things I can get done.
 On the other hand, some of the irritants are only MORE irritating now.  Also, I sometimes think if the working environment were only better, I wouldn't have to deal with the stupidity and I wouldn't feel the need to escape (aka -it is their fault, dammit).

These reactions or feelings somewhat ebb and surge, depending on the day.

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
I can so totally relate!!!  A few years ago, it was always "when I turn 55 and qualify for (immediate) pension".  Now after portfolio increases and obsessive additional reading/researching, it's changed to "anytime between tomorrow and 55 (11/1/2020)".

Every day at the office feels a bit more like torture.  I'm kind of afraid of myself right now in the fact that I can see myself pulling the trigger on a whim at any time rather than as a carefully planned departure.  The scary part is I'm 90%+ convinced that we'd be just fine.

FIKris

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »
Hi NYCMiniBee.  I'm in the same boat; 1 year or so until FIRE.  I'm doing my best to live in the moment and enjoy how great life is right now, but it almost seems like time is warping, and the closer I get, the longer the days, weeks, and months seem.  I think part of the trouble is that I'm a planner: I keep going over the same calculations again and again planning out every detail between now and then. Mr Money Mushtache's article "Give yourself the gift of not worrying about money" had some good ideas and suggestions, but they don't fully scratch the itch.  I've decided that between now and FI, I need to set some other goals that I can plan for and work towards that will help me distract myself and keep time passing quickly and productively.  For example, I set a goal to successfully negotiate a re-locatation so that my last year before full FI, I'm working in a location that is more enjoyable and less expensive.  Good luck!

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
Hi NYCMiniBee.  I'm in the same boat; 1 year or so until FIRE.  I'm doing my best to live in the moment and enjoy how great life is right now, but it almost seems like time is warping, and the closer I get, the longer the days, weeks, and months seem.  I think part of the trouble is that I'm a planner: I keep going over the same calculations again and again planning out every detail between now and then. Mr Money Mushtache's article "Give yourself the gift of not worrying about money" had some good ideas and suggestions, but they don't fully scratch the itch.  I've decided that between now and FI, I need to set some other goals that I can plan for and work towards that will help me distract myself and keep time passing quickly and productively.  For example, I set a goal to successfully negotiate a re-locatation so that my last year before full FI, I'm working in a location that is more enjoyable and less expensive.  Good luck!

I have been obsessing over and over the calculations too, and there's nothing to change at this point! We've started doing this thing where right after we get home from work my spouse will tell me what I "earned" for us in that day's work- it's something silly and makes me laugh and feel like I am making progress each and every day. I should double down on hobbies to distract me.

Still dragging on...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
I've got 5 work days left till I'm FIRE'd... I'm trying not to think about it and am focused on putting my head down and powering through these final shifts at work.

As I drive off the job site for the last time I suspect I'll have a ridiculous grin on my face.

This is the culmination of 10 year plan. Very surreal that I have done it.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »

I have been obsessing over and over the calculations too, and there's nothing to change at this point! We've started doing this thing where right after we get home from work my spouse will tell me what I "earned" for us in that day's work- it's something silly and makes me laugh and feel like I am making progress each and every day. I should double down on hobbies to distract me.

Still dragging on...

Wow, so I'm not the only one this obsessive! My main issue is maintaining my sanity while waiting.

I'm 24 and have almost 10 years to go. It feels like a lifetime. I'll be in my very early 30's when I FIRE. I'll be old! :P

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
3 years away and I think about it CONSTANTLY.  I don't want to wish the next 3 years of my life away so we do all we can do to still enjoy life TODAY. Tho it is good knowing we are heading to making our lives easier and will have MUCH more freedom in our everyday lives!!  : )

MMM4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
So, before finding out about this website, I planned every financial detail I could based on the fact that I had absolutely nothing to do while at work. Unfortunately for me, I would constantly tell my very close friends about financial stories I came across, ways to improve, etc etc. Can you blame me? It was exciting to see your progress being achieved. Turns out a lot of people might not be in the same boat as you and find it almost disrespectful that you have "X" amount of years left to be financially independent (FI) while they haven't started to even think about it because they don't understand how easy it is. So anytime you feel the need to express your happiness in regards to FI, come to the forums where people understand your progress and will commend you for it.

- Someone who learned the hard way

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Welcome to the club. I am 2 months away from FI and I plan to stick around to the end of the year to get the very generous holiday pay and to help train my replacement.  I have been obsessing about it since I made the decision in FIRE back in June.  Just 16 more Mondays and I am done.  My DW was not very happy when I announced that my retirement date had moved up from 2019 to 2014, but she has had time to adjust and is now on board.  She will be retiring in June of 2015.  I have stopped taking work home and working on weekends.  My boss asked if I would consider staying an extra 6 months and I asked him if he thought it was safe to have me around if I no longer needed the job.  He has not brought it up again. I spend almost every night learning as much as I can about retirement, investing, etc.  I came to the FIRE party a little late (I'm 54) so I am making up for lost time.  Today was the first time I told someone I could not take on an assignment because I would not be here long enough to complete it.  God, that felt good.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »
Just about 5 years away and yeah, some days are really tough.  It's not so much that I hate my job (it's not terrible, it's just that I'd rather not be doing it) so much as I so very much would rather be doing something interesting and fulfilling to me.  In this way, I seriously envy those people whose work is their passion (and yes, I know people like this).  For me, it's drudgery.  Can't wait to move on.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
We are about 10 years away but I'm thinking that we could shave it down to sooner. I think about it all the time! I'm very obsessive anyway and I'm wondering if I should just stop going on forums as I'm not sure it's helping. I don't have any real life people to talk about this with as my hubbie glazes over when I mention it now!

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
I'm seven full months away from my date.   Like many other posters, I fluctuate.

On the one hand, I have a job I've liked more than any other I've had in my career.  It's typically not that difficult, doesn't require a ton of overtime or off-schedule stuff, and my manager/cws are nice folks. 

But I still wake up every day wondering why I'm going into the office.  I fantasize about turning my car around, and simply not finishing the drive in.  I've passed my FIRE number by a decent margin and I understand there's very little risk to just hanging the cape up at work. 

When I'm actually in the office, I'm just not as focused.  For the majority of my career I've been a disgusting workaholic and I've turned that part of me off.  Now I do the things I need to do and ignore everything else.  I don't sign up for extra work.  When I'm assigned projects that require special dedication and effort, it feels 'extra' exhausting to pretend that I care. 

It's kind of like that last mile of running a marathon.  You've already got 25.2 under your belt - you know at this point beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to be finishing the race.  Completion isn't in question anymore.  Although your legs are still moving, your brain has moved on to thinking about post-race.  Taking your shoes off of your swollen feet.  Drinking water until you burst.  Sitting down somewhere and watching other runners approach the finish line.

I'm still moving, but it feels like I'm done already.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:09:59 AM by Dr. Doom »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
It's kind of like that last mile of running a marathon.  You've already got 25.2 under your belt - you know at this point beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to be finishing the race.  Completion isn't in question anymore.  Although your legs are still moving, your brain has moved on to thinking about post-race. 
Very nicely put. 

I live within earshot of a busy road and it sounds like a machine ('the grinder' I call it).  As I get into my car in the morning, I imagine that I am throwing another day of life into it.

Yesterday, I had a really nice morning, sent the kids off to school and my wife off to her new job.  I usually go to work before them, but work is slow and the home life was flowing nicely.  After they left, it was nice that I had somewhere to be, but wasn't in any hurry to get there.  The traffic had died down by the time I hit the road and no longer sounded like the grinder.  When I got to work, I compressed the whole day into a reduced 5 hours (plus one hour for lunch), which was much more tolerable.

I get every other Friday off, so I'm at home now, but need to head to my kid's school (on my bike!) to help out with Eureka Science.  The rest of the day will fly by, but I think that I savor days like today more because they are infrequent.

I'm pretty happy with the status quo.  It will never be perfect.  I guess I would quit my job if I found something else that made money (doing stuff for free all the time is a conflict for me) and/or felt fulfilling (applying skills to solve real problems).

I think early retirement will be nice, but now that the kids are older and don't need us as much, I'm not sure if I'll feel fulfilled.  Worse yet, my wife might start to give me the same line I used to give her - 'what do you do all day??'.   

The perfect situation is that my employer lays me off, which has been happening more frequently around the office.  I'd get a severance and have a bit of an excuse for a while as to why I'm at home.  I feel terrible, because my neighbor got laid off 6 weeks ago and he's desperate to get back to work, so I certainly don't talk like this with anyone other than you strangers :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
I've got 5 work days left till I'm FIRE'd... I'm trying not to think about it and am focused on putting my head down and powering through these final shifts at work.

Congrats Jon!  That's awesome!

Just 16 more Mondays and I am done.

Hahaha.  This made me chuckle.  Great way to break it down.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »
oh, yes, this it totally me!  I think about it ALL the time.  In fact, reading MMM now instead of working.  I'm also about 2 years out - give or take - and know there isn't really anything left to do but put in the hours to build the income and ensure my spending stays in-check.  I've given up on trying to convince the hubby to do anything drastic (downsize the house) that would speed this up and am resigned to two more years.  We've settled on the fact that he'll still work 4 more years because there's 'stuff' he doesn't want to give up, but that I shouldn't be penalized because of his wants.  Quite frankly, now that we've settled on this approach it's a lot less stressful for everyone - I have a clearly defined timeline and he can enjoy some of his hard-earned money without eye rolls from me (as long as he sticks to the plan we agreed on)!  On one hand disappointing, but on the other I'm glad to have a clear path to FIRE.

As for work, it's really hard to be motivated to come in.  I'm sure if I totally threw myself into my Role I could fill an entire day, but I just really don't care to be a superstar - I can get my work done (and still look pretty accomplished) on about 25 hours/week.  Makes for some long ass days though!  I also have a hard time getting worked up about whatever the latest issue is....yawn.  Luckily I don't supervise anyone, so I don't think I'm impacting anyone else negatively - I do keep a cheery disposition and put on my "concerned and caring" face when interacting with my boss/cws - I got that one mastered!

I do find myself 'wishing away' the days which I know is just an awful way to live.  I've been more conscientious about living days more fully and doing stuff that I plan to do in retirement now - no point in waiting to learn Spanish, or take photography lessons, etc.

Oh, and Dr. Doom, love the marathon analogy!  You do know you're going to finish, now it's just the mind games you have to play to get through those last 2 miles (aka years).

Hang in everyone!!

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »
As for work, it's really hard to be motivated to come in.  I'm sure if I totally threw myself into my Role I could fill an entire day, but I just really don't care to be a superstar - I can get my work done (and still look pretty accomplished) on about 25 hours/week.  Makes for some long ass days though!  I also have a hard time getting worked up about whatever the latest issue is....yawn.  Luckily I don't supervise anyone, so I don't think I'm impacting anyone else negatively - I do keep a cheery disposition and put on my "concerned and caring" face when interacting with my boss/cws - I got that one mastered!

LOL, right?  Same boat here.  I can also look "pretty accomplished" in about 25 hours a week, which does make for long days, I could give a shit less about whatever the firedrill of the day is, and my "concerned and caring" face is perfected :-).

My issue is that although I believe we have the resources put away, I haven't figured out the transition plan...ie - how to get from age 55 to 62, when we plan to start drawing SS, our smallish pensions, and tapping our stache.  Oh well, nice problem to have I suppose.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
My issue is that although I believe we have the resources put away, I haven't figured out the transition plan...ie - how to get from age 55 to 62, when we plan to start drawing SS, our smallish pensions, and tapping our stache.  Oh well, nice problem to have I suppose.

Yeah, that is the biggest problem for me, too.  Once I can fully tap into my 401k, I'll be just fine (the beauty of compounding over many decades!).  It's filling that gap between age 50 and 59.5 that I have to tread pretty carefully - it's also when I plan to do much of my hard-core traveling, so will need to be extra careful.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Roughly 2 years out as well; FI without the RE.  OMY syndrome for me tends to be about the safety margin/splurge planning implications.  Since I'm FI I feel free in many ways (advancement pressure/$fears/consumerism etc) but free from going into the office isn't one of them - yet.   

Recalculating has little value for me at this point as I'm working for my own travel budget and peace of mind.  So while I share the 'OMG so close' frustration depending on the day/month I can successfully ignore it. 

Like Dr. Droom, I like my job/boss/CWs, more than any other I've ever had so I try to acknowledge how lucky I am to be closing out my career in that situation and salary.   Though when it comes to focus at work  I'm more likely to sign up for something extra or different since I crossed the FI threshold.  It's the same ol' same ol' that gets me down so while I'm not signing up for longer hours I do find the days go by faster if I'm saying yes to the new and being okay with the old work being standard/late.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
The perfect situation is that my employer lays me off, which has been happening more frequently around the office.  I'd get a severance and have a bit of an excuse for a while as to why I'm at home.  I feel terrible, because my neighbor got laid off 6 weeks ago and he's desperate to get back to work, so I certainly don't talk like this with anyone other than you strangers :)

I think you could almost post this in the "Mustachian People Problems" thread.  You know, "I want to get laid off."  Who wants that except folks on ER boards with significant assets built up?

I know what you mean about being let go, though -- if you were pushed out, it'd sort of make your decision for you.  At the very least you'd take a relaxed break from work while you evaluated your next move -- and no one in your family or life would be pestering you with questions about why you quit a perfectly good paying job.

I liked the grinder thing, btw.  Brutal. 

Bottom line, it's an interesting ride and we'll all get there.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
Thanks DD, you have a lot of good things to share, I am looking forward to reading your blog next year (but don't feel pressure).  People who are newly retired are really at the top of their game, it's a time not to be wasted.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
I can SO relate! I am within a year or two of hitting my dream FI number. I can't stop thinking about it and opening up my spreadsheets multiple times a day to calculate different scenarios. I'm potentially in a situation where I may get to choose a generous severance package if it's offered, or wait for an involuntary severance. The suspense is killing me! A package like that will catapult me into instant-FIRE territory.

Reading these forums is entertaining and educational, but I think it's also added to the FIRE countdown jitters. Oh well, take the good with the bad.

It's kind of like that last mile of running a marathon.  You've already got 25.2 under your belt - you know at this point beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to be finishing the race.  Completion isn't in question anymore.  Although your legs are still moving, your brain has moved on to thinking about post-race.  Taking your shoes off of your swollen feet.  Drinking water until you burst.  Sitting down somewhere and watching other runners approach the finish line.

I'm still moving, but it feels like I'm done already.

Yep, I also feel like I'm still moving, but done with the race.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »
4 years, 1 month and 12 days… yup I'm counting.  I was really going nuts previously but decided I didn't want to waste 4 years of my life anxiously, aggravatingly waiting.  I've played a few games, counting days to go, months to go, pay periods to go…all fun in their own way. Started a little journal at home, counting down, and 8months have gone by fast.  Worked out a detailed plan for what needs to be done by when. etc etc

Still I was going nuts, so I've decided to take a broader view: - try to find something at work each week that gives me satisfaction and dwell on it, and likewise try to do something each week out side work that makes me happy. Damned if I was going to waste 4 years tortured wishing I was FIREd…have to find something of value in each day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:42 AM »
It's very weird for me now. I'm at less than six years (5 years 8 months, but I had to count it up just now; my life is measured in semesters, not months). But I've been very, very much counting down here lately.

Thing is, I'm applying for tenure right now, and that involves going back through what I've accomplished in my years there, writing extensively about that and about what I want to do going forward. (when i say "extensively," that's what I mean. I wrote over 10k words on the subject yesterday, and that's not the last of it).

Some of the "want to do" will take longer than six years. Some of it will never be "done"; there are alway new fresh young faces wanting to learn.

Damn, I've discovered I like my job. I think maybe I love my job. I have enough power and a unique enough skillset that I can do good. I can even do good that no one else could do if I left.

I have five years, eight months to decide, but if I had to decide today, I'd be staying. Nice problem to have, I suppose.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 06:06:09 AM »
We've got our journey structured in stages.

Stage 1 - I quit my weekend job and solely be a SAHD. My life will get busier rather than slower, because now I'll have time with the wife home and I can get some more intense projects done. And, after 9 years of hell, we will see each other during the daytime hours more than just holidays and vacations.

This is about a year away. I could quit today, but I need to retire more debt to keep our savings rate high enough once my income disappears. But it's purely numbers. If DW gets a sizable enough raise in the next couple months (quite possible), I'm gone.

Stage 2 - our stache becomes large enough that we can work PT to cover core expenses and just let it compound. DW has expressed a desire to go freelance and do consulting (and she's in a field that it would work very well) but we couldn't take the risk right now of having irregular income. This is probably 5 years out.

Stage 3 - full FIRE. We never have to work again, but we probably still will take odd jobs. This is 10 years out, give or take.

When I first discovered MMM stage 3 was 15 years out, but we've pulled it in 5 years already with reduced expenses and additional planning.

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
I know what you mean about being let go, though -- if you were pushed out, it'd sort of make your decision for you.  At the very least you'd take a relaxed break from work while you evaluated your next move -- and no one in your family or life would be pestering you with questions about why you quit a perfectly good paying job.

I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one that thinks things like this - even while having slight twinges of guilt for feeling this way when there are those that it's actually happened to and weren't prepared.

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Thing is, I'm applying for tenure right now, and that involves going back through what I've accomplished in my years there, writing extensively about that and about what I want to do going forward.

This reminded me of another "weird" thing that happens to me at work as an aspiring FIRE.  Every time I go into an annual performance review and have to decide whether to fake Career Development Goals or simply tell the truth.  I've compromised a bit and basically explain I have no interest in advancing, but here are the things I plan to work on to do my current job better.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
I'm almost 6 months away and think about it several times a day. haha. At 6 months I'll begin a daily countdown.

Now I'm getting ready to go into work on Saturday because we have yet another large backlog that's been pushed into my department. After 10 years of no action, now it's imperative to deal with it. [eyeroll.]  But to be honest it is me who is making a short timeline, really, my institution is "whatever" about a completion date. I don't want my successor to have to deal with this stupid chit, it needs to be completed in 6 months.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:08:38 AM by iris lily »

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
46 days to go for me (32 business days).

I have been thinking about this seriously since about 2010 and convincing my wife for the last two years.

We have planned an eight week vacation in November / December this year (out of accumulated vacation I have at work).  I will then quit in January 2015.  Both events are a bit surreal although the vacation flights (to Australia and New Zealand) are booked so is very real.

When I started my countdown I have almost 1,400 days to go so to now have that at 46 is bizarre and a bit scary.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 05:54:43 AM »
This is making me laugh as I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way.:)

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »
I've set a goal of being FIRE in 2.5 years, but it could be sooner if I don't enjoy my new job next year.

I'm dealing with it by:

1. writing a huge list of all the things I want to do when FIRE.
2. starting to do some of them now.

i.e. I want to spend more time hiking, biking, reading books when FIRE so I'm trying to make them higher priorities in my life now.

I feel like this is an important part of being psychologically ready to RE.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 08:22:49 AM »
I've set a goal of being FIRE in 2.5 years, but it could be sooner if I don't enjoy my new job next year.

I'm dealing with it by:

i.e. I want to spend more time hiking, biking, reading books when FIRE so I'm trying to make them higher priorities in my life now.

Ditto!  Make your lists, start some new things now in spare time, fill out applications for volunteer work, perhaps set some goals ... I found the prep work I did over the past 2-3 years to emotionally handle the change to be critical.  For some, it is perhaps easier to leave work.  For me, it was a big adjustment.  Preparing emotionally and mentally was important so I journaled ALOT, read books on the emotional roller coaster in retiring early, and talked with my family and friends.

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

I'm dealing with it by:

Ditto!  Make your lists, start some new things now in spare time, fill out applications for volunteer work, perhaps set some goals ... I found the prep work I did over the past 2-3 years to emotionally handle the change to be critical.  For some, it is perhaps easier to leave work.  For me, it was a big adjustment.  Preparing emotionally and mentally was important so I journaled ALOT, read books on the emotional roller coaster in retiring early, and talked with my family and friends.

pac_NW, any particular suggestions of helpful books?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
It's kind of like that last mile of running a marathon.  You've already got 25.2 under your belt - you know at this point beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to be finishing the race.  Completion isn't in question anymore.  Although your legs are still moving, your brain has moved on to thinking about post-race. 

Well said!

The wife and I don't even talk about FIRE anymore or what it will take to get there.  We're well on track (about two years, same as you OP), and it doesn't require more thought.

We do talk about and plan post-FIRE life.

pac_NW, any particular suggestions of helpful books?

There's a bunch of good ones, but Zelinski's How to Retire Wild, Happy, and Free is a particularly good one.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
There's a bunch of good ones, but Zelinski's How to Retire Wild, Happy, and Free is a particularly good one.

This book looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation - I'll be sure to check it out from my local library.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »

Agreed. I'm just finishing it now.

I've been working on my 'get a life' tree which has been quite illuminating for me. I didn't realise how many things I want to do with my life that I'm not currently doing!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »

Agreed. I'm just finishing it now.

I've been working on my 'get a life' tree which has been quite illuminating for me. I didn't realise how many things I want to do with my life that I'm not currently doing!

Nords made a get a life tree about a decade ago.  I hear he has yet to start on it.

If you're good at entertaining yourself, I think there will be lots to do in FIRE.

I do love the concept though.  I have a "get a life" tree folder in Evernote with 31 notes in it - each is various articles and ideas that I've clipped to Evernote that will help me in creating it; I haven't yet started my own GAL tree.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »

As I drive off the job site for the last time I suspect I'll have a ridiculous grin on my face.

This is the culmination of 10 year plan. Very surreal that I have done it.

So AWESOME! Was today the last day?  Looking forward to your FiRE announcement

Edited to correct typo..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:42:04 PM by G-dog »

NYCMiniBee133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Ernie Zelinski's book but it felt a little too rah-rah and a little light on content. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Today has been really really tough...stayed home and got a taste again of how awesome FIRE will be!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
You know those garlands that kids make to count down the days before Christmas? I made one for myself when I was ninety days from RE. I draped it all around my (home) office and tore off one link every day. It made me so happy to see it get shorter and shorter and eventually disappear. Oh yes, it helped!

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
I can relate...sort of.  I'm probably only a year or two away, but much depends on the vagaries of the stock market.  (my problem is I kind of want to walk away *right now*, but the numbers don't work yet.  It doesn't help that I've taken a pretty decent punch to the gut over the last week as our company stock has taken a digger and about a quarter of my stache is in options.  Nothing quite as fun as losing about a year's take home in a week.

But, question for you guys who have things calculated to the day?  I mean, my model has certain assumptions, like 7% return on stock holdings, but that is just an assumption (and gets blown up when our company stock drops 10%).  Do you guys have a magic $ number, or a magic passive income number?  What defines what your FIRE day is?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Do you guys have a magic $ number, or a magic passive income number?  What defines what your FIRE day is?

Previous discussion on this, with poll, here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/having-a-fixed-retirement-date/

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
Very nicely put. 

It's the marginal utility of work.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:26 AM »
I went through a period, about a year ago, where I was achieving a great work and life balance. I was content. I told my friends and family "If I die tomorrow, I would be happy because I got to do everything I wanted to do. Don't grieve for me, I am fine with checking out if that should happen."

Then I hit a rough patch at work and am now pretty tired of it and am counting down months until retirement.

And now I absolutely want more time on earth to experience life with no outside work obligations. I will be pissed as hell if I check out early! haha.