Author Topic: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide  (Read 511297 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Communications & Tech - The ISP, VoIP and Cellphone Superguide
« Reply #850 on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
Wow that's awesome. That's been my main reason for procrastinating - my ROI was in the negative (p.s. thanks for that calculator - it's so much simpler than me doing the math myself! ha) I gotta re-run the numbers with this new factor. Love the ting buckets concept and all the pretty graphs!

I gotta get better at roping-in my data usage. I was really considering the RepublicWireless deal, but now I'm looking at ting. Problem is my insane amounts of data I use. I know I could do better-but I'm used to unlimited! (shame on me!)

Glad the calculator is of use, but you should really thank Yolfer for it's existence.

Data discipline is a lot easier than you think. Eliminating streaming media alone will make a pretty heavy dent. Disabling smartphone application updates from loading over 3G data will go a long way, too, as is being selective about what actually needs 24/7 background data access.

All that said, the Republic deal is no real deal if you know how it works.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #851 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
Yesterday I also ordered a Platinumtel SIM card and a $40 card for their lowest "unlimited" plan.  I found a coupon code for 25% off so instead of $45 I got the whole thing for like $33.  That was pretty awesome.

For those interested, try code: PTELG25 for 25% off.  I'm not sure how long this will last, but it worked for me yesterday.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #852 on: September 12, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
All that said, the Republic deal is no real deal if you know how it works.
Yes I have read through your 8 step theoretical plan a few times. I'ts a little complicated/intimidating for a total noob. Also I have some hesitations about pulling the trigger and jumping to a new carrier (I know I'm not signing contracts, but I'm having a hard time deciding which carrier to go with (coverage, pricing - which then would dictate which phones I could buy.) I also don't know how much I will actually pare down my usage - with ting my monthly bill will be around 44-63 according to a reduction in my current usage - so that's why the easy no-configure 19/month looks attractive to me.

Verizon masks things and blows things up so Its hard to analyze what I ACTUALLY USE! Sure I've been using 1.5-2.5GB data, but that was because I usually didn't connect w/ wifi and who cares? I have unlimited data? Also by bill says I used 81 minutes. Well not really. I used 81 "billable" minutes - but I also used 186 night & weekend minutes plus 148 mobile to mobile minutes. so really 415. Looks like texts is pretty straight forward - on average I use 800-1300. I know it's a lot. But that's what I've been used to and paying for.

The nice thing is I'm starting with a clean slate. I need a new device anyway so I'm not bound by a phone I already have. If it makes sense ROI wise, I will cut my vzn contract(s) early, but not until I KNOW. I don't want to speculate what my bill will be, then go over and have paid that HUGE ETF for nothing. (I actually have 2 lines on vzn - long story my sister screwed me over big time to the tune of 4 extra lines on my accout and stopped paying me) BUT in JUNE 2014 ---- I'm free.... 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:39:59 PM by dorkus619 »

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #853 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
I am a very indecisive person. I will weigh and weigh pros vs cons and have a very hard time making a solid decision. I'm also reluctant to change. But I have to! Apologies to I.P. and community for being thick headed or stubborn. And I'll reiterate my THANKS for the contributions to this forum and thread. I can consume so much information in one place! Too much info for my indecisive self haha

Revelation. Maybe I really could reduce my data. Ive hooked my phone up to home wifi and work wifi and played with settings more today and and my data is down a lot so far (~60MB/day to ~3MB/day?). And I could probably reduce mins and texts - I read a post (by IP I believe) on how to reduce texts by using other services for top contacts. And my mom is the main talking hog - I could just voip @ home with her I guess.

It will be a transition but I have to kill this cell phone bill! It's my #3 mint budget category - TIED WITH GROCERIES!! WTF! x.X   When you look at those budgets like priorities...woah that's messed up.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #854 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
Dorkus, all of these plans are order and go. That $19/month isn't a good deal, though, for a multitude of reasons relating to the technology used and the actual service you're paying for. But the way Republic packages it, it's at just the right price point to gnaw at you. It's a marketing trick and the allure of "unlimited", but even if it wasn't a terrible general idea, it's still not a realistic price for what you're currently needing in actual wireless service and won't be sufficient for the data numbers that are tying you up. The other big thing here is that just because I've outlined how to reproduce the Republic experience for less, doesn't mean that you necessarily should. VoIP for mobile voice service on mobile data networks is a bad idea. Even if you'd rather still roll the Republic way, follow Mr. Everyday Dollar's setup instead as it's way simpler.

Fortunately, you already know what your usage numbers are. I agree with the idea that Ting might be a good option for you, but you're paralyzed about getting a fixed price and knowing what it'll cost. That paralysis grows out of your data usage, because even with a 2000 text bucket, your voice and SMS needs are fully met without reduction and even has room for overkill at $23/month. So where do we go from here? What you need to do is become serious about your data usage, learn how it's impacting your budget, and rethink your relationship with it. Let's do so with statistically common usage generalities and math!

Odds are, I'm guessing you stream music (it might not be music - if it isn't, just swap what it is in your mind) and that probably accounts for at least half of your data usage or more. Now, the average monthly data usage of a smartphone in this country is a little south of a decadent 1GB of data, and most of that is from streaming and social media and live data GPS service, so I think that should be some low hanging fruit to hit for anyone... so let's budget 1GB of data for our baseline at a cost of $24. By doing this, we can now put a very real price tag on this "free" streaming music service when we measure it against your current data usage of 1.5-2.5GB a month, which translates to the 2000 and 3000MB data buckets. Is getting your groove on worth $36 a month? Is it worth $18? Realistically, you'd probably even hit regularly under 500MB a month for all the non-music data used, and the price difference between the 3GB and 500MB packages is $47, and even the difference between 500MB and 1GB is still $11. Is getting your groove on even worth $11 a month?

Yes, we've completely ignored factoring in offloading data usage to WiFi, but I did so deliberately. Now that you know the price of your music habit, you're probably thinking about where you indulge that habit, because you probably don't want to give that habit up and are asking some good questions about it: Is it at home? (Oh good, I have WiFi there!) Is it at work? (Does my employer allow me network access and streaming audio on their network? Is it impacting my productivity?) Is it in the car? (Crap.) Is there another way to work around these mobile data black holes other than without data? Is this service that important to me in the first place?

Even without conscientious usage reduction efforts on the remaining stuff, you answer those questions and enact a solution to it, you've probably just guaranteed a massive reduction in your data usage. Next is just making sure you're on WiFi whenever possible, forcing unnecessary data hungry apps and background services to do their thing on WiFi only, using offline GPS services...

The truth is, when you restrict your mobile data use to text-based communications, even 100MB becomes a lot of data. You kick that data habit and use WiFi at home more, that should ease things significantly. If you can then get your usage under 100MB regularly, you're officially in sub-$30 territory. I was even able to squeak in regularly under 15MB a month back with my Android phone, and I kept wireless data on for Kik and email, and even surfed online every once in a while (though I used Dolphin and had it turn off image loading). Trust me, it's doable. You can set hard usage caps on services with Ting so you know you'll never spend more than $XX. You can set a price on whatever that convenience is that's using so much data every month. You can do things that reduces your usage further. If you're serious about kicking that habit but still want the occasional convenience, hard cap your available usage allotment to 100MB a month and if you run out, you run out... that'd pretty firmly fix your monthly budget to around $26 at the most, which would likely sweeten the ROI calculations considerably.

If you want this financial monkey off your back, all you have to do is kick the data habit... and it's a pretty easy habit to kick.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:29:17 PM by I.P. Daley »

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #855 on: September 12, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »
Even if you'd rather still roll the Republic way, follow Mr. Everyday Dollar's setup instead as it's way simpler.
- Will look into his particular set up more

What you need to do is become serious about your data usage, learn how it's impacting your budget, and rethink your relationship with it. Let's do so with statistically common usage generalities and math!
Spot on. My data mostly comes from
- Web Browsing
- Many Social apps - FB, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare --- jeez this is getting embarassing!
- Occasional streaming music and videos online

...the price difference between the 3GB and 500MB packages is $47, and even the difference between 500MB and 1GB is still $11.
Is ________ worth $47/month? or $11/month? <--- I have to explore my tipping point. Short answer for 47/m - NO!

you're probably thinking about where you indulge that habit...
Music - home (wifi!), work (wifi!). -I use my car's FM radio! :)
Browsing & Apps - *gulp* when I'm out and about / everywhere / all the time *shame*

Next is just making sure you're on WiFi whenever possible, forcing unnecessary data hungry apps and background services to do their thing on WiFi only, using offline GPS services...
Wifi when possible - check (home last week, work today)
updates and background services on wifi only - check (today)
offline GPS service - ?? Didn't know about this option or how to do it.

When I get home I'm going to download opera mini or dolphin - I've heard they're better on data. I'm going to limit my instagram habit to wifi only. I deleted foursquare.

So thinking outside the Ting box. ptel and Airvoice also look good. There are many factors to consider. Seems to me that GSM is the better (more flexible) option? Carrier network & coverage in my area, price, BYOD support vs handset costs.... I'm starting from scratch!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP I.P.! I want to mail you a Christmas present this year! haha

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: September 12, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
offline GPS service - ?? Didn't know about this option or how to do it.

Google Maps instructions (Android - free), Sygic GPS Navigation (iPhone, Android - $34 for the US)

When I get home I'm going to download opera mini or dolphin - I've heard they're better on data.

Go Dolphin. Opera only compresses and resizes images, but Dolphin can turn off image use entirely. With the very rare exception (like a website showing a weather radar image) you'd be surprised how little you'll miss images loaded on the websites that you're reading, especially on a small screen.

So thinking outside the Ting box. ptel and Airvoice also look good. There are many factors to consider. Seems to me that GSM is the better (more flexible) option? Carrier network & coverage in my area, price, BYOD support vs handset costs.... I'm starting from scratch!

You (and others) should start looking more into Spot Mobile these days as well, they've really been doing some really nice things with some of their price points lately. P'tel holds a very special place in my heart, but I also can't argue economics... and Spot fills some much needed middle-ground between PAYG and "unlimited" monthly packages on the GSM end that neither Airvoice or P'tel address well. I really need to try and squeeze them into the core Superguide now.

GSM can be more flexible in a lot more ways than CDMA, but it comes down to who has the best service in your area.

As for helping you with shopping those plans, I'm going to copy/paste a few notes of mine from a bigger project that I'm working on that might be of value right now.
Quote from: Sooper Seekrit Project (forgive the rough formatting and lack of supporting math)
The $20/20% Rule = If your average costs come within $20 or 20% of an availabe *overkill* package for your needs (whichever is lower), be willing to spend the extra so you know you genuinely have the right plan for the money.
The secret numbers to keep in mind while shopping for MVNOs are (as of Fall 2013)
High End:
$25 Budget
600 Minutes
900 SMS Messages
65MB of Data
On the high end, if your average usage exceeds *any* of those numbers and you have no means to cut them significantly through habit modification (self-discipline) or alternate technologies (home VoIP usage, SMS replacement apps, WiFi at home/work), consider a $30+ monthly plan over any PAYG options. Once you pass this threshold, the more data you genuinely *need*, the less viable MVNOs become.

That should probably give you and a few others a bit firmer lines to use while shopping midrange usage plans.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP I.P.! I want to mail you a Christmas present this year! haha

That's okay, you don't need to... we do Hanukkah around our house these days. But if you still feel inclined to generosity, don't forget about the website. ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:53:56 PM by I.P. Daley »

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #857 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
Thanks for those extra tips, very helpful

That's okay, you don't need to... we do Hanukkah around our house these days. But if you still feel inclined to generosity, don't forget about the website. ;)

Oh I shouldn't have assumed your holiday of preference! I will peruse your website more of course :)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #858 on: September 13, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »
Oh I shouldn't have assumed your holiday of preference!

No worries, it's the thought that counts. :)

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #859 on: September 13, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
Just for a point of reference regarding data use - I moved from Verizon to Selectel last month and since I pay $.05/MB, I am now paying attention to my data (coming from an unlimited plan) and it is really amazing how little data I NEED to use. 

I have used around 30mb this month - I do all the email I want, I web browse plenty (but only useful things - not because I am bored), and I even have briefly checked google maps around half a dozen times (for real-time traffic data while travelling).  That is $1.50 for data this past month - amazing value!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #860 on: September 14, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Just for a point of reference regarding data use - I moved from Verizon to Selectel last month and since I pay $.05/MB, I am now paying attention to my data (coming from an unlimited plan) and it is really amazing how little data I NEED to use. 

I have used around 30mb this month - I do all the email I want, I web browse plenty (but only useful things - not because I am bored), and I even have briefly checked google maps around half a dozen times (for real-time traffic data while travelling).  That is $1.50 for data this past month - amazing value!

Jawisco, I just want to tell you that I love this post. Thank you! :)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: September 16, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »
you probably know this Daley but for people that don't yet

Sipgate is closing at the end of October. There's a few good free sip companies but I've liked sipgate for about a year now.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:25 AM »
you probably know this Daley but for people that don't yet

Sipgate is closing at the end of October. There's a few good free sip companies but I've liked sipgate for about a year now.

Yeah, that was a sad thing to see roll into the inbox last week, and I was starting to suspect something was up the past few months when they didn't get a new pool of numbers. Stuff like this happens, and at least they had the decency to notify their customers. I still hadn't quite figured out what I was going to say about it yet, because I'm not only losing my inbound SIP line for business, I'm also losing my virtual fax provider (inbound and out). I didn't use them often in that regard, but they were worth the money when I did. It's also sad to see one less provider with affordable e911 exclusive service attached in the market, too.

Well... no time like the present for a comment, eh?

I know of a couple options that allow for free incoming numbers, some patchwork, some a single provider, but I'm hesitant to namecheck the single providers in this regard specifically because they aren't set up to primarily be a "free" VoIP carrier, and they technically aren't 100% free anyway if you're a US citizen and follow their terms and conditions to the letter regarding e911 fees.

That was the thing with Sipgate, they advertised their free service up front. These other providers not so much, and free service offerings with many providers aren't built upon datamining and ad revenue like so many of us are used to these days, but on the idea that if you like their service, you'll upgrade. Unfortunately, that was Sipgate's model, and now they're shutting down because they couldn't turn a profit. Even if you're using nothing more than bandwidth and their servers, it still costs them money.

One thing I've learned about mustachians since I've started this grand adventure is that a lot of you people can be downright squeeze-a-nickel-until-it-screams stingy. I'm not pointing fingers here, but if you feel like I'm singling you out in this statement? Perhaps you should listen to that twinge of conscience... because that's not being frugal, that's being cheap. This is a good time to reiterate the old saying that you get what you pay for, and remind you all that good service doesn't come without a price. If you like a provider who's giving you something for free and they aren't making any money off you, you should do something to change that.

I can rebound from the Sipgate loss, and I know exactly who I'll be turning to... but I think I'm making the conscientious decision from this point forward to stop listing for profit companies that do no datamining for ad revenue generation with their "free" services as "free" provider options. Given I have very little respect for the dataminers (Google included), I suppose this means I will no longer be recommending 100% free service options in the guide. It's not that they aren't out there, but I don't want to contribute to potentially seeing another good SIP provider go under because they were bled to death by a bunch of cheap users who would gladly take their free services but would just as soon tell them to blow if it involved spending so much as a buck a month with them. In the long run, I suspect nothing of true value will be lost in taking this move, either.

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #863 on: September 17, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
IP Daley-

Question for you...can you buy your own cable boxes from Amazon (or somewhere) instead of paying the ridiculous rental charges from Comcast?   Or, could you rent one from them and send the signal wireless to your other TVs?  I am determined to lower our cable/internet bill and am not doing so well with negotiating with them.

Our current plan includes:
2 HD boxes
2 digital adapters

We get internet from them as well.

Home phone is on Magic Jack and has been problem free.

Husband really likes Comcast and is not willing to leave.   I know this isn't Mustachian of us...but we live pretty frugally aside from the TV/Cable situation. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #864 on: September 17, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Andrea, digital cable gets complicated rapidly. The answer is going to be deeply dependent upon what tier or cable package you subscribe to, if you want on-demand programming, the interactive live TV Guide, etc.

Solutions ranging from something as simple as a QAM tuner (most HDTVs ship with this capability) to renting a CableCARD (which has become a bit of a dead-end technology) and buying your own CableCARD equipment are the current major extremes, and the prices Comcast charges for the things, I doubt you'd save much over the straight box. If you hadn't noticed, it's a bit of a racket.

The only real way around the cost of this stuff (both the equipment and the subscription costs) is to switch to streaming video off the internet and buy a small, cheap Android-based HTPC to hook up to the television. Roku and AppleTV boxes and their ilk can be used as well, but there's a great deal more flexibility in available content going with a generic Android box running XBMC.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #865 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »

If you're a TiVo fan, you can buy a TiVo that accepts one or more cable cards.  If I remember correctly, cable companies are required to rent you a cable card (but may tell you something along the lines of "we have not tested it on that equipment... you're on your own.")

I can't speak for newer TiVos... but my older TiVo takes one card per tuner.  Newer boxes may have 4-6 tuners in them.  (I actually just pull broadcast off an antenna... so I have not ever played with TiVo/Cablecard).

There are only 2 people in my house... and I've never needed a second box... I just split the output to multiple receivers.  This makes it such that only one playback is ever going on at once.  There are TiVo boxes that will act as a remote player... allowing a central TiVo to record and satellite boxes for 2nd/3rd playback stream.... but I've never needed that.

The downside of TiVo is you'll either need to have a monthly subscription (and they've really gotten expensive) or you need to buy a lifetime subscription.  There are often coupons online for $100 or more for the latter.  I can't say "it's a good deal" ... because... it's just TV.... But it's a good deal in comparison to paying a monthly fee.  ;)

(TiVo geek since series 1... back when TiVo encouraged people to hack their boxes.)

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #866 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
I'll be traveling to the U.S. for 2 weeks starting next week. At home in Canada I'm using Virgin Mobile tablet data plan on my phone and use VOIP only. If I switch to the Virgin Canada + U.S. Tablet data plan it's 45$/mo. for 500mb. I could then switch my plan to my cheaper canada only data plan when I get back but I was wondering if I could get a data-only sim card activated in the U.S. that would cost less than ~45$ for under 1gb of data for two weeks. I looked online for sim cards for traveling people and they end up costing about the same (10~20$ for the sim card itself, then 30~40$ for the data plan). Any recommendations? I only want a small amount of data.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: September 17, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
I'll be traveling to the U.S. for 2 weeks starting next week. At home in Canada I'm using Virgin Mobile tablet data plan on my phone and use VOIP only. If I switch to the Virgin Canada + U.S. Tablet data plan it's 45$/mo. for 500mb. I could then switch my plan to my cheaper canada only data plan when I get back but I was wondering if I could get a data-only sim card activated in the U.S. that would cost less than ~45$ for under 1gb of data for two weeks. I looked online for sim cards for traveling people and they end up costing about the same (10~20$ for the sim card itself, then 30~40$ for the data plan). Any recommendations? I only want a small amount of data.

Not especially. For the price and the hassle, it'll probably be easier just juggling the data plans with your current provider. Data only is hard to come by down here.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #868 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
Alright thanks. I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way to get a data sim card because online I could only find travel-related websites. I'm still not sure if I'm going to switch my plan or just forget about data at all and use wifi at the hotel and any free wifi in coffee shops

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: September 17, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
There's really no data only prepaid plans major network carrier or MVNO. You either pay $15-20 for 250MB of data, or you pay $30-50 for 3-5GB of data... and we aren't even touching the subject of SIM cards yet. This is one of the reason why I recommend gutting data use in cell plans here.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
edit: Bought a 16GB.  Looks like I'm switching to airvoice or platinumtel next month.  I still haven't decided on that.

I'm enjoying my Nexus 4. Much faster than my old iPhone 4, and it works well with my existing Straight Talk plan. I'll be switching over to Airvoice when my Straight Talk plan expires in October. I also got a cheap rubber case off of eBay, which I'm not entirely happy with, as it stretches a little more than I'd prefer, to the point that I'm afraid the phone could fall out of it. One caveat: Slacker Radio doesn't seem to work as well on Android as it did on iOS.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #871 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
edit: Bought a 16GB.  Looks like I'm switching to airvoice or platinumtel next month.  I still haven't decided on that.

I'm enjoying my Nexus 4. Much faster than my old iPhone 4, and it works well with my existing Straight Talk plan. I'll be switching over to Airvoice when my Straight Talk plan expires in October. I also got a cheap rubber case off of eBay, which I'm not entirely happy with, as it stretches a little more than I'd prefer, to the point that I'm afraid the phone could fall out of it. One caveat: Slacker Radio doesn't seem to work as well on Android as it did on iOS.

Good think we got them when we did, the 16GB has also sold out.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #872 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
I am getting a Platinum Tel SIM with their pay as you go plan and looking for a decent unlocked handset in the $150 price range (but would be willing to shell out a little more for a truly great buy).

Any recommendations? Here are my demands:
- smartphone
- GSM
- Wifi & 3G data
- a recent version of Android (either regular updates or some way for me to install cyanogenMod)
- something not too dorky looking

How can I tell for sure that a given handset will work with Ptel/T-Mobile's 3G network? Some phones I've been looking at on newegg have a "supported carriers" section that explicitly states AT&T 3G only, some don't say anything. Ptel's online store's handsets are disapointing, specs-wise.

Signed: a confused software dude.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
Dear Confused Software Dude (hey Paul!)-

The key to ensuring T-Mobile 3G support is to shop for what's called a Pentaband GSM handset (the key GSM frequencies being 850, 1700, 1900 & 2100MHz).

GSM Arena's phone search utility should be the first place to hit regarding finding a short list of features. Going off of what you've provided of WiFi, T-Mobile 3G network data support, at least Android 4.0.x support currently, and just to eliminate the tablets from the search results, a maximum screen size of 6"... we get 47 options. You can always refine the selection further based on battery life, screen size, minimum RAM requirements, Qwerty keyboard presence and brand preference from this point... but from here, it should be pretty easy to find a good candidate. You can even widen the results a bit lowering the Android requirements to see how many additional options open up for the Cyanogenmod route (2.3.x Gingerbread only expands the field to 50). Anything with the name "Nexus" in the name is likely to be a solid choice. There may be a small handful more in the way of devices that won't get returned due to errors in listings (some being variants), but this should be a pretty solid starting list.

Best place price-wise is likely going to be Ebay from there. Clean IMEI, carrier unlocked... though don't discount Amazon and Newegg as good options.

Finally, personal choices included working from your list and price range... I'd personally most likely skew towards the Samsung T699 (Galaxy S Relay). CM support, keyboard, good specs, well reviewed, unlocked used models are available through Amazon for as little as $160 with a new price cap-out at $235 (similar prices through Ebay from reputable sellers). I'm not sure if it meets your aesthetic requirement of "not too dorky looking", but I think it looks fine as 90% of Android smartphones appear to fall into only one major category with two minor variations: screen slab with dark case, square or slightly rounded on an edge. YMMV.

And just for the record regarding the T699? I like the specs, price, and features so much, I decided to add it to the Shopping Hut to round out the Android Qwerty selection. It seems like a solid choice for the money and I'd buy it if I were willing to do Android again... so, even if you go with something else, thanks for making me do a little research to find another solid recommender.

Best regards,
-Daley

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: September 18, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
Wow, it's amazing what money buys you in terms of hardware these days... I thought GPSes and accelerometers only came with the $600 handsets.

Oh dear, I went a little overboard with this Sony bad boy, $240 on newegg. Really couldn't see myself with a physical keypad, haha.

Thanks for the info, Daley. Stellar advice, as always. :)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #875 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
Wow, it's amazing what money buys you in terms of hardware these days... I thought GPSes and accelerometers only came with the $600 handsets.

Oh dear, I went a little overboard with this Sony bad boy, $240 on newegg. Really couldn't see myself with a physical keypad, haha.

Thanks for the info, Daley. Stellar advice, as always. :)

Nope, those features were on my $10 Intercept last year. Pretty ubiquitous now. :)

You could've spent a lot more for the same specs. It's still a bit pricey in my book, but it's not a terrible price for a new, modern unlocked Android handset. If it'll well serve your needs for a few years, it should be a good investment.

Always glad to help, Paul.

freerider156

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
I've heard that Republic Wireless has some drawbacks, but I just read that they are going to be introducing the Moto X as their new flagship phone and will be changing their pricing structure: http://www.republicwireless.com/moto-x.

I have two phones on Verizon with unlimited data and 1400 shared minutes, but our bill is running us about $180 a month. I tried switching to a 700 shared minutes plan to save us $40 a month, but we went over our minutes. Switching to a new Verizon plan with unlimited minutes and shared data won't save us much either. So, I've been looking at other options that would provide the ability to make calls seemlessly. I want to provide my wife with a phone that would allow her to easily make calls so she doesn't get frustrated. Republic Wireless looked like a good option until I read about some of the drawbacks (such as calls not automatically transferring between WiFi and cellular). However, with offering the Moto X and $40 a month for unlimited 4G data its looking like a pretty good option.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: September 19, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
I've heard that Republic Wireless has some drawbacks, but I just read that they are going to be introducing the Moto X as their new flagship phone and will be changing their pricing structure: http://www.republicwireless.com/moto-x.

I have two phones on Verizon with unlimited data and 1400 shared minutes, but our bill is running us about $180 a month. I tried switching to a 700 shared minutes plan to save us $40 a month, but we went over our minutes. Switching to a new Verizon plan with unlimited minutes and shared data won't save us much either. So, I've been looking at other options that would provide the ability to make calls seemlessly. I want to provide my wife with a phone that would allow her to easily make calls so she doesn't get frustrated. Republic Wireless looked like a good option until I read about some of the drawbacks (such as calls not automatically transferring between WiFi and cellular). However, with offering the Moto X and $40 a month for unlimited 4G data its looking like a pretty good option.

Well I'll be knocked over with a feather... Republic's actually addressed some of the bigger issues I've been harping on with their plans. I'm stunned!

I'm still a bit jaded towards them, but this softened my heart a bit. (Not a lot, just a bit.) I'm still not sold on VoIP over wireless data as a viable solution for people who actually need wireless phone service, but their low-end price points are certainly far more in line with what VoIP prices should be for what's provided. That said, their higher end plan price points are only competitive at best with the rest of the GSM world, and still suffer the limitations of VoIP over wireless service for that price. I also find it interesting that they claim to have addressed WiFi to W-CDMA handoff, which is certainly an improvement, but still doesn't address the shortcomings of VoIP over cellular data as a reliable phone service in the first place. I'm also still irked by their dangling the term "unlimited" to bait customers and couching their limitations in the fine print. Nobody needs unlimited anything, especially not data, and providers never actually provide unlimited anything. Don't let your greed get in the way of your rational decision making process... and don't forget that you still have to pay taxes on top of those quoted monthly prices from Republic, where other MVNOs roll and incorporate those utility taxes into the monthly price point you're quoted up front.

As to the price of the Moto X, it's rumored that the carrier unlocked dev model will retail starting at around $300, and Republic selling it without contract for that price tends to back that supposition up. Yes, it'll be a Moto X (Ooh, shiny new Android smartphone! Remind me again what this can do that other, cheaper models can't already?) which will certainly make the overall phone experience suck less with them, but it's likely not a special price point or worth the money given potential carrier lock-in with the device. Further, buying a bells-and-whistles smartphone like the Moto X doesn't make much sense if you're only after phone use on your home WiFi network. There's cheaper, better options for VoIP use at home from basic telephones paired with an ATA to using a tablet. It's niche marketing targeting our society's insatiable technolust and "need" for smartphones.

They've improved their services and price points, but I still see nothing special or better about what they're offering for the money. It's still nothing that you can't mostly replicate yourself for less on your own, or get proper wireless services for the money with elsewhere.

Don't let your technolust and the shiny new baubles and price points distract you, Freerider. Use some sense, research what you actually need, and find a plan that will actually deliver it. Don't let slick marketing and snake oil buzzwords oversell you on what you actually need, only to provide you an inferior product for the money. Republic might have modified their services to make it more difficult for me to blanket reject what they're offering, but their value is still very limited from where I stand.

Edit: I stand corrected on the price of an unlocked Moto X, and you can tell how little I care about bleeding edge smartphones. It looks like the going rate is going to be around $600+ for unlocked models, so yes... technically, a $300 Moto X without contract is a "good deal." But there's a HUGE but here: Republic locks down their handsets TIGHT, and technically despite it being a CDMA/GSM world phone, thanks to the current DMCA laws on the record books, it's now illegal to try and carrier unlock your own handsets anymore. What good is a "cheap" bleeding-edge smartphone that you can only use with Republic Wireless of all carriers? You drop $300, you've officially dropped enough money to make it uncomfortable to leave, and the carrier locking makes resale pretty difficult because you'd have to find someone else willing to put up with Republic specifically. They can get away with claiming no contract because you can't go anywhere. If you bought it through one of the big four carriers, you'd at least eventually have the option of taking it elsewhere. Two steps forward, three steps back guys.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:19:23 PM by I.P. Daley »

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #878 on: September 20, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
Hey I.P., it's been a long time. :) Anyways, I'm currently on Platinumtel with the T-mobile sparq, and I had been eyeing the Google Nexus 4 especially since the recent price drop to $200. My wife and I have the same phone and are both topping up with about $20/person each month. I've mostly been eyeing the Nexus because I miss paying extremely low rates for texting.

So today I got an email announcing a price drop (down to $100) for the Motorola Defy XT from Republic, along with more pricing options. Specifically I like the $10 unlimited calling and texting, with no data. The only thing we ever really used data for was cheaper texting, so with unlimited at $10 I'm just fine using wifi only. I'm not sure if you haven't seen these new updates or if there's something I'm not considering here.  What's your take on a $200 Nexus 4 on Platinumtel for $10/month as compared to Republic wireless $100 Defy for $10/month?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: September 21, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
Hey I.P., it's been a long time. :) Anyways, I'm currently on Platinumtel with the T-mobile sparq, and I had been eyeing the Google Nexus 4 especially since the recent price drop to $200. My wife and I have the same phone and are both topping up with about $20/person each month. I've mostly been eyeing the Nexus because I miss paying extremely low rates for texting.

So today I got an email announcing a price drop (down to $100) for the Motorola Defy XT from Republic, along with more pricing options. Specifically I like the $10 unlimited calling and texting, with no data. The only thing we ever really used data for was cheaper texting, so with unlimited at $10 I'm just fine using wifi only. I'm not sure if you haven't seen these new updates or if there's something I'm not considering here.  What's your take on a $200 Nexus 4 on Platinumtel for $10/month as compared to Republic wireless $100 Defy for $10/month?

New nexus 4's are sold out, 8gb and 16gb.  Atleast directly from Google, there are other ways to get it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #880 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

What Cromacster said about Nexus 4 availability.

As for the whole Republic Moto Defy XT idea... I think there might be a little bait and switch going on.

When can I order the Moto X?
The Moto X will be available for purchase in the Republic store beginning in November 2013. Sign up now to be notified when our Moto X is available.

What are Republic’s new pricing plans?
In November, there will be four new plan options to choose from.

Will I be able to switch between plans?
Yes! When you purchase a new Moto X phone, you’ll be able to choose whatever plan you like—and you can also switch plans up to twice per month as your needs change. For example, if you know you’ll be taking a vacation and might require more cell data one week, you can switch to a cell data plan right from your phone and then switch back to a Wi-Fi “friendlier” plan once you return home.

(red section emphasis mine)

Now, I haven't seen the e-mail in question as they don't have this "new and improved" $100 Defy XT price listed on the site, but the last time they had it up before the whole Moto X announcement, it was to be paired with the $30+tax/month price point. I could be wrong here, but I have a hard time believing anything other until I'm shown proof from them directly otherwise. Healthy skepticism is a necessity with examining their marketing literature.

At the moment, it appears the new pricing and plans may only applicable to that shiny new $300 smartphone that you will never be able to carrier unlock and take elsewhere. This also means that the plan you'd likely be stuck with will be the one that's designed to give you "unlimited" talk and text over mobile data with "unlimited" data for $35+ a month after taxes, which is a pretty raw deal when you do the math and think that you actually need unlimited anything, excuse the problems with doing VoIP over wireless cellular data.

You're each doing $20/month through P'tel with data on a dumbphone that has no WiFi capability. You're not using that much in the first place, and I suspect you never bothered bringing a VoIP phone into the house to offset voice minutes, either. I suspect even a minimalist VOIP.ms account could probably slice another $10-15/month off your bill, and that's not even considering a possible move to a handset with WiFi data access. Even still, just staying the course with what you're spending, you're talking about a $20 price differential. Possibly less to minimally more if my suspicions about some of Spot Mobile's new price points and available packages were to hold true to what I suspect of your situation.

I will admit, the $10 price point is a bit more attractive, but it's still VoIP over wireless data with a smartphone which I will never recommend to people who think they need mobile voice service (anybody who feels inclined to a cellphone). Even with the cheaper model, (which, don't get me wrong, the Defy XT from a specs and ruggedness standpoint should be a decent Android smartphone model to purchase for $100 - but that can be done on Ebay, new and carrier unlocked for around that price point or less), there's still a lot of problems with the service and the phone itself in its Republic configuration that you simply shouldn't have to address and do workaround hacks with to make it tolerable at its primary function.

Of course, at the end of the day, you're talking about quibbling over $10-30 a month of savings for two cellphones (when you factor the possible Spot packages as well). Yes, every $10 saved a month is a significant savings when you factor the permanent investment value and the money saved across time... but if you actually need cellphones, it should be assumed that you need reliable mobile communications. How important is your need to have reliable mobile communications, really? What is the value of being able to choose a handset that actually fits your needs instead of being shoehorned into something? (Remember your Alcatel Sparq and the Intercept, after all.) Is it really a good idea to get mobile phone service from a provider that locks you into only getting handsets from them and them alone, and their selection is minimal at best? Is an extra ten bux that big of deal to spend to get what you actually need instead of a mostly serviceable stop-gap with promises of "unlimited" with caveats and a giant asterisk?

Don't just keep buying handsets, chasing after cheap deals. I've seen you go from P'tel CDMA, to Solavei, to P'tel GSM at the very least here in the past year and change and now you're considering Republic again. I do find it interesting you keep coming back to P'tel, and I think you and your wife have finally focused in on what your communications needs are. I love P'tel dearly, they've done massively right for me in my book over the years, but short of optimizing your setup with VoIP technology in the house and with handsets that do WiFi data, I think you've finally got some hard usage numbers and can reasonably decide what's truly important to you. Spot uses T-Mobile as well, and their prices have dropped since the transition. Look into some of their package deals, they might be a better fit for the money spent... whether you keep the current handsets or not. Don't keep throwing good money after bad. Research, invest in what you need, and know you can stick to it with confidence.

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #881 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to fill me in on the cons of Republic Wireless. I do love Platinumtel, and home voip is definitely worth looking into. Thankfully although the month we used Solavei was a total waste of money (My first experience with MLM), the Sparq is the phone we got for that service. We do use Google Talk through Gmail for calls at home when the call quality isn't super important.

I'm not too worried about the lack of availability of the Nexus 4 currently, since it's been out of stock ever since right after it first came out with short, sporadic periods of availability ever since. I'm thinking it will be a great improvement since I've never actually had what I consider to be a good quality phone. Either way, I have a bit of time to research our best choice while waiting for it to come back in stock.

I have to admit I love how I already have much cheaper phone service than everyone else I know, and yet I'm looking to bring costs down even further. :)

skinnyninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »
Wow, the new pricing for plans with the Moto X on Republic Wireless are darn impressive.

I carry around an iPod Touch, so selling that and putting up 300 for this phone is not out of the question for me.  Especially to get $10/month cell service. 

I have read through this thread and I hear some of the drawbacks, but I still think it might be worth a go.

A few months back when the Defy XT was $249 with Republic, they were selling used on eBay for a decent price.  So you could test drive the service without totally losing your shirt if you didn't like the service.  From what I saw, selling the "locked" phone on eBay (because it is locked to Republic Wireless) is no problem and did not seem to discount the price of the phone much.

The pricing is just too tempting to ignore, for me.  Over a two year timeline it is a great deal.  If you look at a 3 or 4 year timeline then it is insanely good. 

Call me crazy, but I think this Moto X phone has reached the point (in being advanced enough) that it will depreciate really well.  In other words, it will not drop to $99 used on eBay in six months.  It is going to hold its value better than that IMO. 

Just think, Motorola is spending 500 million dollars just in advertising the Moto X phone. 

Really, think about that!  A half a billion just to advertise it.  That does not include development costs, research, etc.  Just advertising for this phone. 

They would not do that if the thing was a turd, would they? 

I guess I am thinking out loud here, trying to justify it to myself....

But what the heck, right now I have a "dumbphone" and pay $27/month and don't even have unlimited anything....I have to watch my minutes.   Over two years that costs more than the Moto X + $10/month plan.

Anyway good discussion here and super helpful thread, thanks so much for everyone who contributed to it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #883 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to fill me in on the cons of Republic Wireless. I do love Platinumtel, and home voip is definitely worth looking into. Thankfully although the month we used Solavei was a total waste of money (My first experience with MLM), the Sparq is the phone we got for that service. We do use Google Talk through Gmail for calls at home when the call quality isn't super important.

I'm not too worried about the lack of availability of the Nexus 4 currently, since it's been out of stock ever since right after it first came out with short, sporadic periods of availability ever since. I'm thinking it will be a great improvement since I've never actually had what I consider to be a good quality phone. Either way, I have a bit of time to research our best choice while waiting for it to come back in stock.

I have to admit I love how I already have much cheaper phone service than everyone else I know, and yet I'm looking to bring costs down even further. :)

Not a problem, glad to help. I sincerely doubt that the Nexus 4 is coming back in stock, however, given Google has made an announcement about there being no plans to restock the model. Plus, it's been nearly a year since its launch, and its expected that the next version will likely drop with the next Android "major" release in the next month or two. I suspect the ship has sailed on a new Nexus 4, especially at those price points.

Anyway, ride the savings for what it's worth and optimize! You'll be glad you did.

I guess I am thinking out loud here, trying to justify it to myself....

Here, have some more sobering math:

Republic Moto X = $300.
Republic's new "unlimited" talk and text plan (Sprint 3G/4G data coverage) = $10
Average undisclosed taxes with Republic = ~$5/month (averages anywhere between $3.50-$7.50 depending on location from what I've seen)
"Unlimited" talk and text plan with no data from Spot Mobile (T-Mobile voice coverage) = $25/month (that includes taxes)
Samsung GT-E1205L feature phone = $25

Nobody needs unlimited, yet I suspect that I know who your provider is and you're working with a 1000 minute/month bucket, and you have no home VoIP service to offset with. The Moto X isn't special, it's just an 'effing Android phone. You don't even need a smartphone if you've already got an iPod Touch and you're planning on a talk and text only plan anyway. (Heck, you're getting by with this already!) GSM feature phones are a dime a dozen. Incredibly decent GSM Android smartphones can be picked up refurbished or used for around $100 or less now, amazing ones for under $150. How is spending $300 on a Moto X and spending $15/month on "unlimited" cellphone service from Republic really going to pay off incredibly over two years with a $10/month price difference? (This of course assumes there's absolutely no changes in pricing and carriers over the next X years, which NEVER HAPPENS in the MVNO landscape.)

24 months on your current plan = $648
36 months = $972
48 months = $1296

24 months Republic "unlimited" talk and text w/Moto X = ~$660 (estimated)
36 months = ~$840
48 months = ~$1020

24 months Spot Mobile "unlimited" talk and text w/Samsung GT-E1205L = $625
36 months = $925
48 months = $1225

Is it a savings even with the taxes over what you're paying currently? Yes.

Is it a savings over alternatives that are available currently that would let you select a cheaper, perfectly fine phone that could still replace your current feature phone and your iPod Touch both? Technically, yes. Let's say you do hold out for three-four years without a handset upgrade under any of those above scenarios. Aggregate price difference between Spot and Republic across 36 months? Around $2.36/month. Across 48 months? $4.27/month. Ask yourself this: Even knowing the shortcomings of Republic's service, is it really worth those shortcomings to save somewhere between $2.36 and $4.27 a month over three to four years? Is it worth locking yourself into a phone and a provider for that long to try and hope you can even realize that savings, unknowing in what else may change in mobile pricing between now and 2016-2017?

That's also assuming that you actually budget a solid $25/month on the non-Republic route. What happens if you were to supplement your home phone use with VoIP service? (Which you'd effectively be doing anyway with Republic.) VOIPo does a 5000 minute a month "unlimited" package for $7.71/month for two years, they even provide the ATA device for free. Better still, since quality doesn't seem to matter too greatly, we'll do the NetTalk Duo at $50 for the first year with device, $30 each subsequent with 3000 minutes a month. Or Google Voice and a $40 Obi100 or just using Talkatone with an Android handset, which when you scrape Republic down to its core is pretty much Google Voice and Talkatone on a locked down Android smartphone with a proprietary dialer and a little voodoo for handing off calls between WiFi and W-CDMA with the new coming handset. Let's say that drops your mobile calling needs to around $10 month (or less). Suddenly, you're no longer needing to pay $25/month for "unlimited" phone service (which is still a couple bucks less a month than what you're paying currently for metered). How do those numbers run against Republic now?

Is it still "darn impressive"?

Ignore the marketing hype on the phone and the provider, research and actually do the hard math on your real mobile needs... these nearly too good to be true bargains are never as sweet sounding when you go in armed with some knowledge and some solid math. You know what though, it's your money. All I can do is lay out the numbers.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:14:38 AM by I.P. Daley »

skinnyninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #884 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »
Thanks so much, Daley.  Will definitely consider your response.  I appreciate it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #885 on: September 23, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
Thanks so much, Daley.  Will definitely consider your response.  I appreciate it.

No problem.

By the way, something that I let slide yesterday from you that really should be addressed...

Just think, Motorola is spending 500 million dollars just in advertising the Moto X phone. 

Really, think about that!  A half a billion just to advertise it.  That does not include development costs, research, etc.  Just advertising for this phone. 

They would not do that if the thing was a turd, would they? 

Marketing budgets are irrelevant, and you've lost sight of the purpose of advertising in the first place: to make people want to buy turds that they don't need.

A half a billion dollar advertising budget just means Google really wants people to buy this particular turd over the competing flagship turd, better known as the iPhone 5s.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:55:12 AM by I.P. Daley »

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #886 on: September 23, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Daley, thanks so much for maintaining this awesome guide - it's saved me a lot of time!

I'm currently on a family plan with U.S. Cellular ($45/mo) but plan on switching to Airvoice's $10 plan. I'm trying to decide on a phone, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of options so I'm hoping someone here can give me advice. What I'm looking for is a decent Android phone in the <$200 range, one with Wifi and preferably decent battery life. I want to be able to run Google Voice for SMS messages. It would also help to have a phone that's relatively durable (obviously I'll get a case, but it's a shame that smartphones have turned into mini-tablets...I'm definitely going to miss my 3.5-year-old Blackberry Tour with its wonderful keyboard and ability to withstand my carelessness).

Here are some phones I'm currently considering:
I9220(N9000)
BLU Dash 3.5
LG Optimus L7
Samsung Galaxy Y
HTC T320e One V

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #887 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
TwoWheels, glad you like the resource and even happier that it's helped you so much!

As to the handset issue? If you're not entirely married to a seemlessly integrated Google Voice for SMS messaging setup, consider some of the Nokia Symbian S60 handsets ($50-200). It's like a Blackberry without the necessity for BIS to make it work. Nokia makes some pretty tough little handsets, and our house runs on old school Nokia these days (myself a C3-00, the wife an E63).

If you really want/need to go Android, however, my suggestion might probably be the Motorola Defy Pro XT560 ($125). Not the highest end specs or Android build, but it's ruggedized, has a QWERTY keyboard, and has good reviews from users who say it actually works nicely as a phone. (It's also one of the phones I've hand selected for the Shopping Hut on my website.) The only downside is the memory capacity and the age of the OS... the age of the underpinnings and the bloat of more modern apps will eventually be its undoing, but if you're actually not asking it to be a shmancy smartphone bogged down with a pile of apps and hoping for swiss army knife features, it might just work for you. If I couldn't do Nokia anymore, this would be on my short list of alternatives.

Alternately, if you're wanting a bit higher specs and newer Android build, there's also the Samsung Galaxy Chat B5330 ($110), but the build quality won't be as rugged for the money.

Finally, there's the NEC Terrain, which is a relatively modern handset spec wise running a modern Android build and is equally ruggedized to IP67 spec like the XT560, but will exceed the $200 price threshold carrier unlocked as it's only been on the market for a few months. If I personally needed to go back to a full fledged smartphone and a more hardware beefy Android handset than the XT560 (again, if I had to abandon Nokia), this one would probably be top of the list.

(You've probably figured out that I'm a fan of the old Blackberry style form factor as well, not to mention rugged handsets. Don't mess with what works, eh?)

As always, if you're looking for more options, the search tool at GSM Arena is always a killer resource for helping you find that one phone that actually fits your needs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:33:45 PM by I.P. Daley »

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #888 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
Yeah, the Google Voice integration is pretty important to me. The Motorola XT560 looks really awesome. I like that its pixel density is comparable to that of my Blackberry. The long battery life is a major plus and the hotspot capability is a nice touch. Google Maps and Google Voice are pretty much the only apps I'll ever use, so I don't mind the hardware/OS limitations. I'll poke around some more with that search tool (great resource!) but I'm leaning heavily toward the XT560 now.

Out of curiosity, would I be able to port my U.S. Cellular number to Airvoice? Or does that only work with GSM carriers?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: September 24, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, would I be able to port my U.S. Cellular number to Airvoice? Or does that only work with GSM carriers?

Absolutely! FMNP (full mobile number portability) is just that, you have a right to take your number to any carrier you like and keep it so long as you're in financial good standing with the carrier you have that number through.

Glad to have helped with the search tool and the suggestion of the XT560. :)

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #890 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
You're the man, Daley! As a thank-you, I've ordered two XT560s (one for me and one for my girlfriend) through your shopping hut. :)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #891 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »
You're the man, Daley! As a thank-you, I've ordered two XT560s (one for me and one for my girlfriend) through your shopping hut. :)

Awww... thank you!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #892 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
I've switched both my mom's and my husband's ancient dumb phones away from ATT to airvoice, thanks to this forum (and my smart phone will join them in a couple of months). 

The problem now is that my mom's phone is starting to fail (the 5 key is hard to press and today she couldn't get it to turn off).  She doesn't deal well with change, so is there anything to look out for if I want to buy a duplicate off ebay?  IMEI?  It's an old LG CE110, and there are tons on ebay (all used, like this one, or this more expensive one that has the IMEI shown). 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #893 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
I've switched both my mom's and my husband's ancient dumb phones away from ATT to airvoice, thanks to this forum (and my smart phone will join them in a couple of months). 

The problem now is that my mom's phone is starting to fail (the 5 key is hard to press and today she couldn't get it to turn off).  She doesn't deal well with change, so is there anything to look out for if I want to buy a duplicate off ebay?  IMEI?  It's an old LG CE110, and there are tons on ebay (all used, like this one, or this more expensive one that has the IMEI shown). 

IMEI and condition, mostly. Maybe aim for dealers that do volume business reselling on Ebay and have a good resale history over private sale, unless the private seller discloses IMEI and is so meticulous they have the original box and accessories as well. Also consider picking up a new OEM (original equipment manufacturer - in your case, a genuine LG manufactured) battery or two. Older resale/refurbs like these frequently have cheap after market batteries.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #894 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
if you are apt to try taking it apart, you could try to take it apart. If the key isn't broken it might have gotten some dust/dirt under that key and it's impeding the 5 key. If you clear it away it should work. Or if it is broken, you could look for a replacement key but at this point it's more cost efficient to just get a new phone.

I'm not too sure "not used to change" means "won't change". I'm looking to upgrade FIL's phone (flip phone also). We've shopped around and I think I've gotten him hooked to the windows phone (the smaller lumia phones were his size). It's still fairly easy and the large tiles do help, aside from being easier to see, it's easier to press. He won't use apps so the lack of it won't bother him.

Unless you wanted the battery life of the dumbphone, then they're in a class of their own and no smart phone comes close to lasting that long.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #895 on: September 28, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
Mom's in her late 70's, and for her, resistant to change means if it doesn't work just like the old one, she'll say she can't figure it out and never use it.  And since she only turns it on long enough to use it and then turns it completely off, battery life is inconsequential.

But if there are other small phones that might be a bit "smart", maybe I can convince my husband to give her his identical ancient flip phone and find something he'll use.  He's not quite as resistant to change, but wants something small.

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #896 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »
I'm a little confused right now. When I put the Airvoice SIM card in my new XT560, it asks me for an unlock code. Will I get one as part of the activation process with Airvoice, or is this "unlocked" phone actually locked? If it's locked I don't even know what carrier it's locked to - I can't find any branding on the phone or in the software.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #897 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
I'm a little confused right now. When I put the Airvoice SIM card in my new XT560, it asks me for an unlock code. Will I get one as part of the activation process with Airvoice, or is this "unlocked" phone actually locked? If it's locked I don't even know what carrier it's locked to - I can't find any branding on the phone or in the software.

Sounds like the seller you bought from didn't deliver on what was promised. Dang it.

Contact the seller through Amazon for the unlock code and specify that the listing was for a carrier unlocked handset which you didn't get. If they refuse, demand a full refund and send it back, then leave feedback about which seller you purchased from that sold you a locked handset, and try again from either another seller or try Ebay.

mdjd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #898 on: September 29, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
I seriously tried, but failed to read through this entire thread.  It's soooo much information.  I apologize for that in advance because I'm certain the info I'm looking for is in this thread.

With that out of the way -- I could *really* use your guys' help (especially IP Daley!)

I just cancelled our Verizon iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy SIII plans (and had to pay $420 in cancellation fees).  We barely used our phones at all.  We only need one cell phone (essentially for emergencies only).  What would be the best provider/phone for us?  Could we utilize one of our now cancelled phones?

Thanks so much for any replies!

-mdjd

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
I seriously tried, but failed to read through this entire thread.  It's soooo much information.  I apologize for that in advance because I'm certain the info I'm looking for is in this thread.

With that out of the way -- I could *really* use your guys' help (especially IP Daley!)

I just cancelled our Verizon iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy SIII plans (and had to pay $420 in cancellation fees).  We barely used our phones at all.  We only need one cell phone (essentially for emergencies only).  What would be the best provider/phone for us?  Could we utilize one of our now cancelled phones?

Thanks so much for any replies!

-mdjd

The best way to answer your question regarding phone/provider would be with some specific questions answered. How many minutes a month on average qualifies as "emergency usage"? Do you care if the phone can do anything other than make calls? Which network(s) (other than Verizon) have the best coverage in the areas you'll most likely use them?

As for the existing phones, the iPhone 4 is technically not permitted on Page Plus, and the Galaxy SIII is an LTE device which cannot be activated on PagePlus without firmware flashing and disabling the LTE radio... you might as well start from scratch and sell both after doing factory resets.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!