Author Topic: Manual Clothes Washing  (Read 2616 times)

EricL

Manual Clothes Washing
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
I've discovered a cheaper, faster way to do laundry.  It's the MobileWasher or RapidWasher - apparently two items that do the same thing.  They look like supersized blue toilet plungers.  You can find them on Amazon.com or possibly your local camping store.  You also need a five gallon bucket.

1. Take one person's 1-3 days of laundry, dump it into a plastic bucket, and cover it with 1-3 gallons of cold water (~enough to cover the soaked clothes in 1/2 inch of water). 
2. Add about 2-4 tablespoons of phosphate free detergent, put the plunger in and start plunging.  Do this for five minutes. 
3. Remove the clothes, wring them out some, and dump the water.  If you use the phosphate free detergent you can dump it on the lawn. 
4. Fill the bucket with enough water to cover your soaked clothes (~1-2 inches), add a splash of white vinegar (it breaks up the soap), and start plunging again for a minute. 
5. Remove the laundry and hang to dry.  Use the rinse water only on trees, as the vinegar may damage grass and garden plants over time. 

Confession: I splurged and bought a Nina Soft spin dryer, which spins small loads almost dry in 3-5 minutes.  It's nice but unnecessary.

This is great for couples, maybe not so great for large families. Though conniving parents might be able to get older children to work it.  The down side is laundry happens about 2-3 times a week.  The up side is there are no commutes to coin laundries, no paying for coin laundries, lower electric bills (for machine owners) and you can retire your washer dryer and sell them. It also takes less detergent, you can recycle the water (a big deal in California), and the wash process takes only about 30 minutes total compared to an 1 1/2 hours for machines (Not including commuting and folding). 

Oh, and the clothes? They come out really clean.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:13:14 PM by EricL »

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
Re: Manual Clothes Washing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Neat!

Though, I was just watching a video demonstrating this device, and I may have gotten one of the most disapproving stares I've ever received from my girlfriend.  Maybe later...

Cheshires_Coins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
Awesome. I'll have to look up getting one of these in the UK. I'm just about to head there for a student exchange. My university has a partner university there, which means that I am enrolled at my own university, get to pay fees as if they were to my own university (Rather than international student fees, which are far higher), which can be put on my interest-free student loan, I have a chance of getting my airfares paid back in full or in part through the exchange programme's travel grant, and I am eligible to receive Student Allowance (a weekly amount for living costs that I don't have to pay back) as if I were still studying in New Zealand. A pretty Mustachian way to spend five months on the other side of the world, and I have friends there that I can spend the Christmas holidays with.
But the student accommodation has coin-operated washing machines and dryers, so I've been looking up ways to do my own washing by hand. The private washbasin that we get in our dorm rooms would probably work for delicates (no idea why I'd need a private washbasin, but they didn't allocate me a room without one, and it's less silly than a full, space-eating tiny ensuite that I'd have to maintain myself, which was the other option) but I needed to figure out what to do with larger items.
Also, I have read that baking soda can be used as washing powder, I think mixed with powdered washing soap. We have a newspaper columnist who uses baking soda and vinegar for almost all of her household cleaning needs, including haircare (replaces shampoo with baking soda, conditioner with diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle). Apparently there is very little that those two things can't clean, and you can buy them in bulk. She compiled a lot of her old columns into a book, called Pig Tits and Parsley Sauce, which was I think my introduction to a Mustachian way of thinking and doing things.

EricL

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Baking soda isn't good for the garden though.

"Pig Tits and Parsley Sauce" lol.

Cheshires_Coins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
Probably not. I won't have access to a garden while I'm overseas (It is apartment style multistorey accommodation) so it is probably better to go down the pipes than most commercial cleaners (as it is something that you can eat, in small quantities) and water conservation is less of an issue currently (there is enough rain to not really need to water outdoor plants, in New Zealand and in the UK) so that wasn't really something that I thought about. If I remember correctly, the title comes from something that the author's mother would threaten to serve them for dinner, and when she was asked for a title for her column she sort of blurted that out without thinking, and the editor thought it was funny.