Author Topic: Where to buy a quality down/down alternative comforter?  (Read 15751 times)

suburbanmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to buy a quality down/down alternative comforter?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a quality down or down alternative comforter? I finally threw out my old ratty one, and it will be getting colder in a few months so I will have to find a replacement. I have found a lot of the stuff in store tends to be really cheap quality that won't hold up for more than a few years.

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where to buy a quality down/down alternative comforter?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:16:25 AM »
I like Cuddledown.  They are a bit pricey, but the quality is good.  I've had 2 of their down alternative comforters for several years and there are no signs of wear and tear yet. 

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:38:51 AM »
I'm happy with my IKEA down-alternative comforter. Have had it for four years and it's held up better than anything I've had before. Good price too!

I'm allergic to down but personally find that quality down comforters seem to hold up better than the down-alternative overall.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:15 AM »
I like LL Bean the best, although their down comforters don't seem to ever go on sale. For children's beds or for one elderly relative's bed, I've bought various brands on big sales through Macy's. They all were fine. You can research online to find out what factors to look for in terms of quality, and to research consumer review types of articles.

suburbanmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
Wow, Cuddledown was quite a bit more than I was wanting to spend. Ikea does have great prices and I would likely go with that one if they would ship it or we lived less than 3 hours away from a store. I hadn't even thought of LLBean, but I know they typically make well-made products and their prices were pretty reasonable along with their higher fill weight, so I think that is where I will be ordering. Appreciate the advice! :)

Indio

• Bristles

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
I like LL Bean the best, although their down comforters don't seem to ever go on sale.

Seconded! My mother bought me an LL Bean down comforter right before I went off to college - best gift ever! I love the plush/heavy feel of snuggling up underneath mine.

LL Bean stuff is expensive, but they do claim some sort of "lifetime satisfaction guarantee," so I'd look into that to see if it's worth it. If you can get a down comforter guaranteed against tears/leaks for life, that might be worth an extra couple hundred bucks.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »
I bought my kids a couple of LL Bean duck feather comforters in 1982 (I don't think they sell the duck feather ones anymore), and they are still going strong.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
If your priority is a low price, lots of warmth and something that will hold up for years, look no further than a 30 degree rated* sleeping bag.  A lot of sleeping bags have very fashionable patterns on the inside, so unzip it and showcase that on your bed!  Sleeping bags are almost always cheaper in cost than down comforters (I've seen down comforters for several hundred $!) and will be warmer and outlast them as well. 

*Rough rule I use for sleeping bag degree rating is get one that is rated at least 20 degrees colder than the temperature you're expecting and you will still be very warm.  Thus, even if you're very mustachian and have your indoor nighttime temp at 50-55 degrees, get a 30 degree bag and you'll be toasty.

Once you try it, you'll never go back!

- Chops

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
even if you're very mustachian and have your indoor nighttime temp at 50-55 degrees

Eh, lad, tha's not lived if tha didn't have ice on t'inside of windows as a bairn.

(In other words: not very mustachian at all to have the heating on at night.  Heat the bed, not the bedroom: much more efficient.)

jbcivics

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
All you could ever want to know about comforters:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-comforter/

Great, thorough overview of what to look for plus product reviews. They find the LL Bean to be the best, although I'm actually thinking about getting their recommended wool comforter from Overstock.com. It's 1/3 of the price, made from natural material, and doesn't have any associated potential animal cruelty issues.

Cigar2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Pay attention to the details
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »
@chops.  What a great idea. I'm gonna put my sleeping bag inside my duvet cover. Thank you.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
I think I got my down alternative on Overstock for less than $100 and it's been great. I live in TX however.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
Definitely LL Bean, good quality and guaranteed for life!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
Definitely LL Bean, good quality and guaranteed for life!

I'm planning to get the LL Bean.  My plan is to get a 20% off coupon (ebay or hopefully I'll get one with the catalog I requested) and use it with a gift card (granny or similar) at around 10% discount.  Best I can do, probably.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
I got one from Ikea a few years ago, and have no complaints about the warmth.  It was their least expensive down duvet (about $70) and I actually find it too warm most of the time (we have geothermal and keep the house at a constant 18C in heating season).

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
@ Cigar 2011 - glad you liked my idea!  I've been using sleeping bags as blankets/duvet fillers for years, it's a great way to stay warm and keep the pricepoint low compared to expensive down comforters!  Also a great way to create "double-use" for your possessions if you're into camping.

- Chops 

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »
Thanks to Indio's post above, I ended up picking up one from Amazon for $30.  I'll report back on how we like it. 

Disclaimer: I live in North FL, so it won't be warming us through any subzero winters.  :-)

citrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
We got a down alternative at Macy's 3 years ago....still going strong after repeated washings and 3 cats!  Not very expensive for a king size...$70 with Macy's coupons and sale price.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
even if you're very mustachian and have your indoor nighttime temp at 50-55 degrees

Eh, lad, tha's not lived if tha didn't have ice on t'inside of windows as a bairn.

(In other words: not very mustachian at all to have the heating on at night.  Heat the bed, not the bedroom: much more efficient.)

Giving us a bit Yorkshire or no?

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »

I feel like heat is quite mustachian in my area.  If I don't heat my house at night in the winter, the pipes would freeze and burst, leaving me with a much larger bill than the cost of heat.  ;)  Mind you, I'm in Ottawa, so it's a lot colder here than it is for most of you.  ;)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »

Giving us a bit Yorkshire or no?
Yup, proper northern ancestry and brung up tough.

I feel like heat is quite mustachian in my area.  If I don't heat my house at night in the winter, the pipes would freeze and burst, leaving me with a much larger bill than the cost of heat.  ;)  Mind you, I'm in Ottawa, so it's a lot colder here than it is for most of you.  ;)
Cold here in most of the UK is not that bad, and can usually be dealt with by lagging pipes, and on the worst nights by leaving a tap dripping to keep the water in the pipes from freezing and putting salt in the tank and pan to keep the toilets working.  There's no need to heat a room above freezing if you don't have any pipework in it - central heating in bedrooms is a relatively modern luxury and in our moderate climate only really necessary for the elderly/disabled/ill.

zoltani

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Feathered Friends! Handmade in Seattle.

http://featheredfriends.com/

Having a sale on bedding now too.

I own a sleeping bag and a down comforter from them, in a word....heaven!

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
I'm a big fan of IKEA's as-is area, although I know that doesn't work for the original poster.  The last queen size down comforter I bought was $20.  Score!

Angie55

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
My down comforter is about 8 years old. I noticed last year its really flat/thin in some areas and as a result definitely not as warm. I've never gotten it cleaned or down anything other than shaking it when I wash the duvet cover which admittedly is not very often maybe a few times a year. That sucker is heavy and shaking it a few times wears out my arms. 

Any fluff-up tips or ongoing maintenance tips? Its an oversized king size so I don't think it would fit in my dryer. Should I be bringing it to a cleaners? If so what should I expect to pay?

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
I have bought several feather duvets from Ikea and all have lasted very well.  I'm currently sleeping under one I bought in 2001 and it's still good as new.  And very warm and cozy! 

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
I have an IKEA down comforter that is good. I've only had it for a year or so, so I can't speak to its durability, but I like it so far!

zoltani

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
The three dog down comforters are expensive for 575 fill IMO.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
I went with the pacific coast one from Costco, at 1/4 the price of LL bean.  Fill weight was a bit less, but I have a feeling it will be fine.  If I don't like it after a few months, I'll return it.  I'm using this justification a LOT for recent costco purchases, so their guarantee strategy is probably getting them net $$$ from me.

If LL bean had sent me that catalog I requested, along with a 20% off coupon, they might have gotten my business. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:41:06 PM by dragoncar »

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Thanks to Indio's post above, I ended up picking up one from Amazon for $30.  I'll report back on how we like it. 

Disclaimer: I live in North FL, so it won't be warming us through any subzero winters.  :-)

Got the comforter; it looks good.  The king size is just barely king size, doesn't extend past the bed.  We had a couple of mid 30s nights last weekend and it felt especially nice after I returned home from bikepacking where I slept out in a summer weight sleeping bag.  :-) 

No idea on durability yet, of course.  The cats like it so it's getting plenty of claw action..