Author Topic: Inexpensive protein powder  (Read 6899 times)

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
Inexpensive protein powder
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
As a slim woman who has trouble maintaining muscle mass, I have taken to consuming protein shakes made from protein powder. One a day adds a nice 20 grams or so of protein to my intake. Yes, I do eat meat, but for those who don't, this is a good way to add protein to a diet.

So the varieties and quality of protein powder available can make one's head spin. If you're lactose intolerant, avoid whey. If you are worried about too much estrogen, avoid soy. If you are concerned about mad cow, avoid beef. What are we left with?

I came upon this company:

http://www.truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx

And gave them a go. I bought their pea protein powder and got a custom blend with stevia sweetener and a vitamin boost.

Conclusion:
$5 per pound of powder is a good deal. I was happy to cut those costs. I was previously paying double or more.

Adding the vitamins was a good choice, even though I eat quality food. You never know what micronutrients you are missing out on.

Adding the stevia... Meh, I probably won't do it again. I add a banana to my shake, so that probably would have been sweet enough for me.

Overall taste? I've never consumed protein shakes for the great flavor and... it will stay that way. No, it doesn't taste like peas, but there is a slight bitter aftertaste.

For those looking to supplement their protein intake for whatever reason, I had a good experience with this company and the product, and will likely continue to take advantage of their low prices. Stay healthy, Mustachians.

Kriegsspiel

Re: Inexpensive protein powder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
I used to use True Protein (now True Nutrition).  I thought the pea protein was disguuuuuusting.  I got their cheap whey concentrate from then on.  Now I use Optimum Nutrition because it mixes better, and the taste is more consistant.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Yeah, it's not going to please your taste buds. Just your wallet. :)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
Only if you can tolerate it!  A guy on a lifting forum I've been on since 2003 has talked about raising cockroaches, then killing them and drying them out for "insect protein powder" which I think would be cheaper than pea protein isolate (they're pretty much eating your garbage, so it's like composting too!), but I don't think I could stomach that either.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
That's just nasty, IMO.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Muscle milk brand powder at Costco is fairly cheap, tasty and easy to disperse.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
The amino acid profile looks a bit unbalanced, but I guess if you already have an otherwise good diet it's worth the savings.\\

Edit:  plenty of coupon codes http://www.retailmenot.com/s/truenutrition
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:43:27 PM by dragoncar »