Author Topic: Deleted (Deactivated) my Facebook Account  (Read 17806 times)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
Re: Deleted (Deactivated) my Facebook Account
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »
I kind of want to deactivate/delete mine.  Right now I'm keeping it because it's the primary method of communication for my aikido club, and it would be pretty hard to know what's going on without it (stuff like class changes, arranging logistics for travel to seminars, etc.).  I also have a lot of out-of-state friends, and that's how we primarily keep in touch.

I've gone without it before, and would like to do so again.  I don't post often, and have a tendency to unfriend/hide people.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »
Awesome work. If you consider time is money in essence you just saved money. I deleted mine earlier this year for good. Spent ("wasted") too much time on there as it was. Just seemed to be a big popularity contest. Quitting cold turkey was the best. I no longer have to see what "Susie" had for breakfast nor did I ever really care in the first place.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
okay, older person here.  I never got into Facebook but quite a few people I know who are older than me did.  A lot of the time it seems to be to keep in touch with friends and family on the other side of the country or the other side of the world. 

But I did hear about people posting what they ate for breakfast.  This stuff seems a bit unnecessary to me anyway. 

Ligaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
I recently deleted my account and what I have noticed is sort of "early-retirement psychosis". It is supposed to be great and all but what I have noticed that I am not longer being fed entertainment, I have to seek the entertainment, or just generarly something to do, myself.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
Never had one, but would look at DWs from time to time.  Not sure when I even looked at it last but it certainly hasn't been a detriment to living a happy life!

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
Internet time sinks piss me off, I avoid them at all costs.

<------   Um, wait a minute.....

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
I had my husband block mine all weekend through next Wednesday morning.  Seems like a good compromise for now.  I'm enjoying all my free time!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »
I told myself I would delete the app from my phone when I finally got home internet (free, btw), and then only check it at night.  I was spending way too  much time on the phone during the day.  So i deleted the app a month ago.  Last night was the first time I had any desire to check the facebook on the computer.  And all I checked was the messages page.  Nothing important.  Go figure. 

I think the only reason I'm keeping facebook at this point is so I can keep up, at least a little bit, with the extended family.  It's nice to have a place to look up their birthdays...

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
I'm also Facebookless as of a couple months ago. I honestly haven't really noticed. While I had it though, boy did it take up a lot of time. I'm talking a full delete as well, not just deactivating.

usmarine1975

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
I did a full Delete as well once I realized you could.  Wasn't aware of that when I initially posted that I de activated my account.  Hence the title.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
Like others I have FB because if I didn't I'd never hear from some people, and out of my family and friends I was among the last to get it.  I do block a ton of people, particularly the ones who only post memes or religious/political stuff (both sides, I'd add).  That thins the herd quite a bit.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:37 AM »
I old enough to remember when CB radio was popular.  I kept thinking that FB would go that way.  It does seem that the trend for older folks is to use it less or DC it.   My wife seems to be on it every so I get my news second hand from her!   

As far as the Mustachian low information diet,  FB is information overload.   I find I'm so much happier cutting out:   TV and radio news,  newspapers,  FB,  email,  etc..

I find I don't really care who the president is of any particular country.

Now if I can only do something about this addiction to this forum?  lol

usmarine1975

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
I spend 9 hours a day in front of a computer at work.  With time to spare to read here and there.  The news usually is negative so the Forum gives me something of interest to read and to respond too.  I do debate how much it may have replaced facebook but on the other side it is better then reading what so and so might have eaten for breakfast etc...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
I spend 9 hours a day in front of a computer at work.  With time to spare to read here and there.  The news usually is negative so the Forum gives me something of interest to read and to respond too.  I do debate how much it may have replaced facebook but on the other side it is better then reading what so and so might have eaten for breakfast etc...

It's not impossible, but it's certainly hard to learn about a Roth Pipeline and such on FB. At least it's extremely productive browsing.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
I was never on Facebook but since I am unemployed I am spending a lot of time on this forum.  I enjoy reading it for one.  Also, I find it keeps me motivated MMM-wise.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 07:25:09 AM »
I deactivated today.  Will probably fully delete when we get back from our trip.  I feel FREEEEEE!  It feels like quitting a job.  Ha!

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
I haven't deactivated, but I did sign out the other day with no intention of signing back in again in the near future. Although I'll probably go back eventually, I think for now I can enjoy my life more without it.

tracylayton

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
I took a month long vacation from it, and when I returned I deleted everyone that wasn't family, an old friend, a close friend or extremely amusing. In July, I went out of the country for 3 weeks and had no internet and didn't miss Facebook at all. I like seeing photos of my nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins, so it does have it's place...but I wonder how many people have replaced true relationship with virtual.

usmarine1975

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 04:50:13 AM »
I still don't have it.  Its great less distractions.  Congrats to those who have deleted. For me its not an evil thing so if you haven't and you have kept fb in its proper perspective and place good on ya.

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
I took a month long vacation from it, and when I returned I deleted everyone that wasn't family, an old friend, a close friend or extremely amusing. In July, I went out of the country for 3 weeks and had no internet and didn't miss Facebook at all. I like seeing photos of my nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins, so it does have it's place...but I wonder how many people have replaced true relationship with virtual.

That's a great idea. I've been a little scared to do a purge of my friends list, but whenever I come back from my hiatus would be a good time to do it.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
I tend to pride myself on not following the crowd, but I definitely got sucked into Facebook. I signed up in 2008, giddy at the chance to reconnect with people I hadn't seen in many years. I'd wondered what happened to everyone and now I didn't need to wonder. But it was too much of a good thing, it became addictive. And as OP has said, it doesn't tend to foster real relationships, but more stalker and shallow interactions.

I'm in a private FB group of a few women and we talk candidly to one another. We support each other's goals and are there with a virtual shoulder to cry on, sort of like this Forum. But I don't want the rest of the FB world to know when I'm online, so I created an anonymous account with which I connect to the group, and that way I can mostly avoid regular FB. For now that works for me. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:23:11 PM by Practical Magic »

Wanderlusting

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with getting rid of the facebook, but I have setup barriers to limit my time spent on the site. On my laptop and my tablet I have extensions installed to block certain sites (Stayfocused for chrome) so that I spend about 5 minutes a day on it. I still check it from time to time on my phone, but for the most part it helps with the constant urge to check on that damned news feed. Conversely, i'm sure i'm spending the same time on some other site that isn't much more productive, so that's the other side of the coin to work on.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!