Author Topic: App Gives Extra Cash Back on Groceries  (Read 3698 times)

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
App Gives Extra Cash Back on Groceries
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
It's called Checkout 51.

Every week I get new "offers" on cash back for groceries.  This week I get 50 cents cash back if I buy tomatoes, 25 cents cash back if I buy corn, 25 cents back if I buy onions, etc. etc. 

They also advertise specific products (this week, cash back on Vlasic pickles, Dole pineapple juice, Doritos, etc. etc.)

After you "earn" 20$ cash back, they send you a check in the mail.

The reason I like it is that it doesn't matter where you buy the groceries/ how much you paid/ if you used other coupons.  You just upload the receipt from wherever.  I buy produce at Trader Joe's/ local ethnic stores that don't have coupons- and a lot of times it's "free" with the cash back!  I mostly use this to accumulate money on produce and non-brand name items, since the app doesn't always specify brands (another example this week, is 25 cents cash back for "hot dog buns"- any variety).

You can find the app on your phone's play store.

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: App Gives Extra Cash Back on Groceries
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
I posted about this app a while ago and it is still going well. I have gotten a check in the mail from them for uploading my grocery receipts, and I keep 'earning' cash back on groceries through the app.

They have a short-term referral program now, so I thought I would throw up my referral code. Sign up through my link and you get $5 free extra when uploading your first grocery receipt, and I get $5 for the referral.  Thanks!

http://c51.co/hLrkU5Q

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 04:02:15 PM »
I just signed up last week. Our first receipt we got 50cents for our first receipt scan. None of the rest of the coupons were for anything we buy. What I didn't like was there didn't seem to be any way to search through the coupons quickly. Has to scroll thru a very long list. Any tips on more efficient ways to do this. (Btw I have the Cdn app so don't know how different that is)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »
This looks good. I am going to sign up. Best part about this is combining it with an AMEX blue preferred card that you already get 6% cash back on.

Does this work with SAMs club and Walmart purchases?

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
If you want to double your returns and don't mind scanning the same things twice, you should check out Ibotta -same concept, but with a huge assortment of stuff. As a bonus, they'll send your money via Venmo or PayPal. And to boot, if you use my referral link, you'll get $10 when you redeem your first rebate (I'll also get $5)

https://ibotta.com/r/cdcqqtg

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:26:04 AM »
Elaine-

That makes sense. They have added more rebates recently, probably tripling or so in size, but the app probably could use an update to sort them now, considering the growth.

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
This looks good. I am going to sign up. Best part about this is combining it with an AMEX blue preferred card that you already get 6% cash back on.

Does this work with SAMs club and Walmart purchases?

Yes, my favorite thing about this particular app is (unlike Ibotta) you can get a rebate from any store. I use it for small, local places around me just fine. My parents use it for Walmart/Sams.

And yeah, I  use multiple rebate apps, plus credit card rewards, AND shop the sales. DH and I usually spend about $25-$30 on groceries per week, for lots of really good (mostly vegetarian) food.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 09:32:16 PM »
I've been using Checkout51 for a while as well. So far so good, but haven't saved up enough to get a cheque yet. I'm not sure if the offers are different in Canada, but most of them are for processed food (which we generally do not eat) and name brand cleaning/house stuff. I can only buy so much paper towel and toilet paper at once...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!