Author Topic: Throwing a Baby Shower  (Read 4694 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Throwing a Baby Shower
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
Tips for keeping the costs reasonable?

Recipes? 
Decor?
Games that aren't too silly?
Themes?

It'll be co-ed at my place in the afternoon.

LadyStache

• Stubble
Re: Throwing a Baby Shower
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
Games:

Price is Right - Have guests guess the prices of an assortment of baby items. Whoever's guess is closest to the actual number without going over wins. The baby items used for this game can then be gifted to the mom-to-be. I just used a few small items when I did this one (rubber ducky, desitin, etc.)
http://www.frugalfanatic.com/price-is-right-baby-shower-game/#_a5y_p=978929

Baby shower bingo - this is really good at keeping guests engaged during the long gift opening sessions
http://www.chickabug.com/free/iheartnaptime_chickabug_baby_shower_games.pdf

Decor:

I used small diaper cakes as centerpieces for a baby shower I hosted. They looked kind of like this  http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/15/97/9c/15979c8bd043e42abd92a9632c26501f.jpg

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
I just recently helped throw a shower. The co-host had planned a budget of around $250 for the whole thing and I think we came in considerably under that (out of town grandmother-to-be was kind enough to pay for it, so co-host was the one keeping track of costs to pass along.) Not a co-ed shower, but was one of the biggest I've attended as far as guest count. Even with that number of guests, we over-stocked on food and probably some other things could've been done differently to get it even cheaper than that if we had needed to.

-Theme: This one was ocean themed, since that's what the parents-to-be are going with for most of their baby stuff. I like the book themed ones too where you're helping get baby's own little library started. Theme is pretty optional though I think, it can totally just be a "Baby shower" theme. :)

-decor: Aside from sea-colored table cloths, we had a fishing net on one wall with baby items "caught" in it. (This doubled as a game: partway through the shower when people were distracted we took all the baby stuff down and then we asked them to try and list as many things from the net as they could remember.) Also made some paper lantern jellyfish (pinterest find) that the parents liked enough they now have some of them hanging in their room near the changing table. Some seashells strewn around on any table space that wasn't covered by food... I think that was all of it. For the baby stuff we hung up, we just used items the parents-to-be had already received since many people sent gifts early if they weren't going to attend the shower, so that didn't affect the budget. (Although we had the advantage of throwing it at the couple's apartment complex community room, so I was able to raid their stuff more easily than you might be)

-other games: we had more planned but only ended up playing the memory one above and then the one where you give people crepe paper or ribbon and have them cut off how much they think is the right measurement of mom-to-be's belly. (Best to double check with mom-to-be if she'll be offended by this though! ours thought it was great). Good to have a few games prepared, but also read the party to see whether they're really needed. We had to struggle to get people's attention for the two we did play, any more would've been intrusive since people were enjoying chatting. We had already set up a raffle for the spare prize we had on hand, so we just drew a couple extra names to give away the others from the games we skipped. Some other okay game options from the co-ed showers I've been to: baby-themed pictionary, team scavenger hunt amongst our belongings for items related to stories about the couple, best 60-second baby sculpture out of bazooka bubblegum (no chewing allowed) or small piece of playdough, speed-folding baby clothes contest for the guys etc etc. But for everyone's sake, don't do the one where you melt candy bars in diapers and make people guess which kind... that one is pretty universally hated. :)  (oh and just saw the post from Ladystache, +1 for bingo during gift opening)

-food: local grandma-to-be is a beast in the kitchen and made lots of tasty stuff, mostly small sandwiches (this may not be the exact recipe she used, but "funeral sandwiches" were good: http://www.cleverhousewife.com/2013/09/funeral-sandwiches-nothing-mourn/). And then we had the usual party grub standbys of fruit salad, chips/guac, hummus and veggies etc, much of it from Costco.
Per mom-to-be's request, I made these (although I did mini's) for dessert: http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archives/2009/04/24/sweet-indulgence-vanilla-bean-cupcakes-with-blackberry-buttercream. They are beautiful and super tasty, but be warned it makes over 100 if you do mini ones. I only make them for special occasions where I have lots of help eating them! I also made some easy sand dollar sugar cookies (pinterest strikes again) and we had madeleines (since they're shell shaped) and brownie bites from costco.

In my limited experience, it seems like the co-ed showers have usually been a lot more laid back about theme/decor/games so as not to freak out the guys who aren't used to attending stuff like that. So I think as long as you host a nice party where everyone has fun and gets to celebrate the parents-to-be, you should be in good shape!

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
Don't have it overlap an expected mealtime.  Just serve ice tea, water, lemonade and cake.  If you feel its needed throw in cheap nibbles like chips/dip. 

Must there be "decor"?  Just a nice centerpiece (a diaper cake can be made rather inexpensively or if an invited guest is known for these ask her to contribute one towards the decor) for the food table and another for the gift table is plenty expecially for a coed where getting too cutesy would make the guys uncomfortable.  Just use the less expensive plain disposable dishes (as opposed to the 'themed' ones that cost 2X as much) or better yet real dishes from your kitchen cupboard (and those from a few close friends/relative if need be).  Simple centerpiece and real dishes comes across as elegant whereas the colored/decorated paper goods comes off as cutesy.

Have you tried pinterest for games?  The last shower I "threw" (dd's officially hosted it, but I paid for everything) we didn't play games because the mom-to-be (my oldest daughter) hates shower/party games.  Since its a coed one fun game is a blindfolded diapering game using a largish stuffed animal and cloth diaper with pins.  Fastest time with a properly pinned diaper that doesn't fall off when the animal (usually a bear or monkey) is lifted upright wins.  Fun because many men and almost as many women have never diapered a baby let alone with a cloth diaper.  Another thing we did was called the shower "green" and asked that gifts be brought unwrapped (again dd did want to sit center of attention and open them) thus eliminating that long process.

If you feel you need a "theme" to the party for decore etc. try mirroring what the expectant couple is doing in thier nursery.

Most of all, have fun with this and don't let it stress you out too much.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the ideas! 

By theme I promise I wasn't actually even thinking about matching paper plates and napkins - it didn't even cross my mind!  I was more thinking things like - if I do a storybook theme, I can decorate with books (find cheap at yard sale and clean up, borrow from my MIL, buy some new for for gifts) standing up on tables (e.g. "If you give a mouse a Cookie" by desserts") or I saw some hanging off bunting.  Similarly if I do a "Welcome to the Jungle"

I definitely want to skip the chocolate diaper, but a competition to diaper the baby does sound like a good one.  I would do the bingo game, that's one I've played before that makes opening gifts more entertaining.  And I'll pay attention to the party mood.  I think it'll depend a lot on the balance of guests, whether they know each other or not.

I'll find out if they want it "eco" or any other preferences.

I have a friend that's out of town at the moment, but has held a bajillion of showers, so I think I can raid her collection of supplies for things like chocolate molds of baby carriages/rattles etc.  And my MIL has apparently made decorated cakes before, so I'll leave that one up to her.

Luckily timing works in our favor that it'll likely be a 2-5PM shower.  The couple is in town for a wedding and will need to drive down that day from the wedding location, so we likely can't have it over lunch (and dinner is a bit late for the relatives traveling further).  So I'm thinking munchies and beverages is about it - homemade hummus, homemade mango salsa, etc.

aussieshorter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:35:41 AM »
My wife's friends threw her a Mad Hatter High Tea themed baby shower only a couple of weeks ago. They borrowed teapots, teacups and high tea stands from friends and family. Her mum and sister cooked the food. I think in total they spent $350. They did have to hire furniture and linen though. You can see some pics here: http://buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/34-weeks-mad-hatter-high-tea-to.html

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
One idea I really like that my friend did - in lieu of cards, guests are asked to bring their favorite children's book with a note to the baby written inside. It was a big hit!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
Book showers can be nice--people still get to choose their own gift and those on a budget can even go secondhand.

Frugal Girl just did a post about an Aldi-style baby shower: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2014/08/a-baby-shower-aldi-style/

jennifergoad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
Go for some light snacks, soft drinks and a dessert. As for the decor, keep it simple and minimal with some baby themes or even colors will do.