Author Topic: Cheaper options for kids  (Read 2308 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Cheaper options for kids
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
I found this to be a light easy read but pleasant article. Going to try some variations with my kids.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-spending-less-brought-my-family-closer-2014-08-08 

frugalredhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheaper options for kids
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
So true!  We were the same way, we didn't think twice about shelling out $100 on a weekend to take the kids somewhere, plus go out for lunch.  Our area has so many free parks and activities, and we are really taking advantage of them.  We paid $66 for a year long season pass to the state parks, so we get into all of them for free, plus get 10% off camping.  We have found 2 parks nearby that have beaches, and we pack a picnic lunch.  We usually splurge on ice cream while we're there, but all in all it costs us about $25. 

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
I loved that article.  Thanks for sharing.  We are trying to think of fun things to do around us (preferably within walking distance).  I have been wanting to take the little guy back to the pool for more swimming "lessons" (he is 1), but there are a bunch of free splash parks around the city.  We're going to do that instead.  I've been wondering if those little kiddie pools are worthwhile as well...

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing.  I have been looking for an alternative to the Empire State building for a trip with my 6 year old, and that Tram looks really cool.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
I loved that article.  Thanks for sharing.  We are trying to think of fun things to do around us (preferably within walking distance).  I have been wanting to take the little guy back to the pool for more swimming "lessons" (he is 1), but there are a bunch of free splash parks around the city.  We're going to do that instead.  I've been wondering if those little kiddie pools are worthwhile as well...

The kiddie pools are absolutely worth it for that age group.  Ours cost about $6 and gets used almost daily, and we ended up with a second-hand larger one for $2.  I have an 18mo and a 3yo, and we'll just go hang out in the yard.  They climb in and out of the pool, carry water around in their $1 plastic buckets, and never get bored.  The little one is a square inflatable Intex that has held up just fine despite rough use and being stored outside, the other is a 6' hard plastic one.  Both are great to have around.           

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!