Author Topic: Helmet in Bike Trailer  (Read 13891 times)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
Helmet in Bike Trailer
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
I just got my first bike trailer!  I found it on Craigslist and hope to use it for my toddler to go 1-2 miles to town mostly on rural roads and trails.  Is a helmet necessary in one of these?  If it is, how on earth do I get my guy to keep it on his head?

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Re: Helmet in Bike Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
Yes!  He should be wearing a helmet.  You can try practicing with it to get him comfortable.  Explain to him why he needs to wear it and make sure you wear one too (teach by example).  All else fails... make sure it's on nice and tight.

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
Yes, he needs a helmet.

The chin strap should be tight enough that you can only slip a couple fingers between it and his neck so he shouldn't be able to get out of it anyway. My kids couldn't manage the buckles until they were about 6 and by then they understand the importance of helmets.

You could also let him pick out his own helmet since they come in all kinds of fun kid friendly designs. Or, you could let him put stickers on whatever helmet you choose. Kids will do anything for a sticker.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
Our son is not wearing a helmet, because he can't open the security belt and the trailer is quite secure. He will need a helmet when he gets older, though.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
Where is a good place for an inexpensive helmet?  Would a bike shop, internet or big box store be better?

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
This is one case where I would go with a local bike shop, because they can also show you how to strap the helmet onto your child safely before you buy it and likely have experiences with other kids the same age.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »
Our son is not wearing a helmet, because he can't open the security belt and the trailer is quite secure. He will need a helmet when he gets older, though.

And if (God forbid) you get hit or sideswiped?  How is his brain protected then?

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
He is secured with a 5 point security belt and a metal frame around his entire body. A helmet will reduce security, because he will try to remove it at times.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Helmets are required here (in Ontario, Canada) by law for all kids (until age 18) on bikes and in bike trailers. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »
Where is a good place for an inexpensive helmet?  Would a bike shop, internet or big box store be better?

I'm sure people will not buy second hand helmets for a variety of reasons, but I got my kid's at Goodwill.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »
Target had decent inexpensive helmets. The advantage of buying in a store is that you can try them on to see how they fit. Make sure of this. I wasted money on the first helmets my girls got because I didn't realize until we'd used them a week or two that no matter how I adjusted the helmets, they kept sliding off my girls' heads.

Avoid cutesy helmets and stick with miniature versions of adult helmets.

Also, kids have radically different size heads. At 5 and 6, my girls were both already wearing full size adult helmets, just with the size adjustment cranked all the way down. My 8 year old now already had a bigger head than my wife.

I would definitely have them wear helmets, for the same reason I myself wear a helmet. But we all know where that discussion goes. Sigh.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
It's a little pricier than what you'll find at Target, but my little guy (3, and small for his age) wears one of these:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/helmets/youth-helmets/small-fry-toddler

He loves it, and I think the flat back makes it more comfortable to wear in the trailer. The back knob is easily adjusted by little hands, which is good because he can "help" put it on even though he can't really do the buckle, but also bad because he can loosen it while wearing it.

We insist on the helmet in the trailer. While the risk of head injury is low, so is the cost (extra seconds of time and minor inconvenience) and it helps reinforce that "while biking, helmets shall be worn". Also, while I love my InStep trailer, I'm not sure I totally trust the frame to act as a roll-cage in an accident.

As for getting the kid to wear it, if it's important to you, this just needs to be a non-negotiable. Presumably, if the kid is old enough to remove the helmet he/she is old enough to understand why this is important, and that this is one of those rule that shall not be bent. Make it clear that if the helmet comes off, we go home now. And then do it. As with anything else, you need a clear, reasonable expectation, logical consequences, and follow-through.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »
One of our kids has a "Little Nutty" helmet, the other has a basic kid's helmet that we got at Target.  The Target one is teensy, great for very small kids.  I've noticed once we get going that they're so fascinated looking out of the trailer that they don't try to remove the helmet.  The 3yo loves his helmet and will frequently wear it because he wants to.  However, to me it's like the carseats.  My 18mo frequently screams and flops and flails to avoid being put in his carseat.  He still gets buckled in.  Likewise, helmets get worn in the trailer. 

People will argue all day whether helmets make a difference, but I've fallen off my bike and cracked and scraped up my helmet, and been perfectly fine.  I've also cracked 5 or 6 helmets in falls from horses and never had a concussion.  Something has to take the brunt.  With the kids I worry less about the trailer rolling and more about a car hitting us. 

One of the studies I referenced when deciding between bike trailer and bike seat is available here:  http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=348997

The data regarding bike trailer safety is very limited, but it at least suggests that helmets should be worn.  Barring significant research showing that bike helmets cause worse outcomes, my kids and I will continue to wear helmets.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »
After all that you've gone through in life to even have a kid, why would you even consider not protecting their noggin?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
After all that you've gone through in life to even have a kid, why would you even consider not protecting their noggin?

LOL, that's what I say to Mr. FP when he seems to be being reckless with the children. "Hey! They were hard to make! Be careful with them!"

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
"Hard to make." Very funny!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
The data regarding bike trailer safety is very limited, but it at least suggests that helmets should be worn.  Barring significant research showing that bike helmets cause worse outcomes, my kids and I will continue to wear helmets.

With very young kids, helmets add a lot of weight to the head.  In typical accidents with a bike trailer I wouldn't be surprised if helmets have a tendency to intensify neck injuries due to this.  After they get several years old and gain weight this would probably become much less of an issue.  For our bike trailer the whole frame would have to be crushed before the kid's head hit the ground . . . Not sure anything would help in an accident of that severity.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
They should def. be wearing a helmet and if they are under 3, they need a rectangular piece of foam at their back to put themselves forward just an inch or so, it helps to keep the helmet at the right angle which is flat on the head.

http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/parts-and-support/ Look at the helmet cushion relief for a picture and description, we made our own, but it makes perfect sense, they need one.

And you said your child was a toddler, but for anyone else  PLEASE do not put any child under 12mo in a carrier, their necks are not developed enough to sustain all the movement! Do your own research.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
We've been taking our son out for rides since he was about 6 months old, and he's been perfectly fine.  He was very large for a baby of that size though, and had no issues sitting upright or holding his head up.  We started out with very short trips stopping to see if he was OK regularly.  He wasn't being jostled any more than in our stroller (to be fair, the sidewalks around here have been torn up over the last couple years for a ton of road work and are in brutal shape - the bike path is brand new.  We also went slowly and stuck to bump free bike paths for the first while.  He's about eight months old now and loves going over bumps in the trailer, giggling away.  YMMV.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
We've been taking our son out for rides since he was about 6 months old, and he's been perfectly fine.  He was very large for a baby of that size though, and had no issues sitting upright or holding his head up.  We started out with very short trips stopping to see if he was OK regularly.  He wasn't being jostled any more than in our stroller (to be fair, the sidewalks around here have been torn up over the last couple years for a ton of road work and are in brutal shape - the bike path is brand new.  We also went slowly and stuck to bump free bike paths for the first while.  He's about eight months old now and loves going over bumps in the trailer, giggling away.  YMMV.

That's great but saying you have done it with no visible injuries is like saying you don't need to use car seats because you've never been in an accident. Seriously I am not asking you to believe me, just one person, I amassing that you do your own research on the subject. They aren't supposed to be in jogging strollers until they are at least 6mo either but most people either don't know or ignore the wisdom.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »
And you said your child was a toddler, but for anyone else  PLEASE do not put any child under 12mo in a carrier, their necks are not developed enough to sustain all the movement! Do your own research.

There are special seats for under 12mo that are perfectly safe.

I do agree that a regular seat is not suitable, unless the muscles around the neck a strong enough for even an emergency stop with the bike.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  We actually bought the exact helmet mentioned by Dr. A and he loves it for a few minutes and then is done.  Unfortunately, teenagers going 70 down our gravel road has prevented us from actually trying out the bike trailer but that's a whole different topic.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
Kids have to be wearing the helmet in a bike trailer in our province, its the law.

We took him to a bicycle shop when he was one year old and they fitted him. He is 2.5 now and loves wearing it. Its stays on his head with a chin strap. I am so thankful that its the law as a car came about two feet from our son in his bike trailer the other day. I nearly died.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

Actually our pediatrician's office sells bike helmets, very cheaply.  I have no idea if this is a state program or what, but I think we bought our daughter's (very cool: purple with fairies and it lights up when you bump it) for $10.  We use Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates, but it may be worth calling your pedi.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
Our older boy never had an issue with the helmet when I used to ride him to daycare before work.  4 years later the younger one hated it and would start crying when we even went close to the trailer.

So we didn't use the trailer (we walked to daycare instead). 

Side funny:  There used to be a giant hill between our home and the daycare for the older boy.  Somehow (random thrift store toy bag) he had an 'Elmo' cell phone in the trailer.  So I would be huffing and puffing my way up the hill while he sat in the back like a stock trader chatting on his 'cell phone', every day for about a year.  At the time the only cell in the family, and all it did was sing the (insanity inducing) Elmo song for the duration of the ride.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
Our older boy never had an issue with the helmet when I used to ride him to daycare before work.  4 years later the younger one hated it and would start crying when we even went close to the trailer.

So we didn't use the trailer (we walked to daycare instead). 

Side funny:  There used to be a giant hill between our home and the daycare for the older boy.  Somehow (random thrift store toy bag) he had an 'Elmo' cell phone in the trailer.  So I would be huffing and puffing my way up the hill while he sat in the back like a stock trader chatting on his 'cell phone', every day for about a year.  At the time the only cell in the family, and all it did was sing the (insanity inducing) Elmo song for the duration of the ride.

You should have given him a buggy whip... it would have been less painful

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
You should have given him a buggy whip... it would have been less painful

People seeing me pulling him along like a rickshaw driver pulling an executive on his cell phone did make for some humorous comments.

freedom14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »
Please put a helmet on your kids!

A few years back when we had our first I zipped up a driveway but one of the wheels on the trailer hit the curb squarely and dislodged causing the trailer to do a 180 jumping straight up landing on its side although still strapped in juniors head was resting on the driveway as the side collapsed (without the wheel its a tent after all).  No harm done but without a helmet could have been a very different story.

Mrs. The Butler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
Just be persistent with the helmet on your kid; he/she will get used to it.  I have a 3-year-old and a 1.5-year-old.  They both wear helmets in the trailer.  Did they like them at first?  Not necessarily.  Do they always want them?  Usually they do, but sometimes they want them off (especially the younger one).  My job as a parent is to do what is BEST for the kids, not what makes them happiest.  Sometimes they fuss for a while, but they always get over it eventually.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »

That's great but saying you have done it with no visible injuries is like saying you don't need to use car seats because you've never been in an accident.

I didn't say we had done it with 'no visible injuries'.  I said that he was (and is) perfectly fine.  We biked slowly, and were only taking him out on a smooth paved bike path.  We checked often on him.  As I mentioned, he bounced significantly more when we were taking him out for a walk over the very potholed sidewalk with his stroller.  We don't use a helmet for these walks either.

If you choose to drive your car on a smooth road, with no other traffic at speeds of under 20 kph  . . . you would probably be fine not using a car seat and holding the baby in your lap.

Seriously I am not asking you to believe me, just one person, I amassing that you do your own research on the subject.

I did amass my own research on the subject.  That's why we were biking slowly with him in the trailer when he was strong enough.  Now that he's more than 9 months old we've been fitting a helmet on him so he gets used to it (it was a little kids helmet from a bike shop and fits quite well).

We don't take him out for 50 kph racing rides down narrow singletrack switchbacks or busy highways.  A leisurely ride on a groomed and paved bike path with an experienced cyclist offers no real risk.  When he's older we'll take faster/bumpier rides.

freedom14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
I didn't say we had done it with 'no visible injuries'.  I said that he was (and is) perfectly fine.  We biked slowly, and were only taking him out on a smooth paved bike path.  We checked often on him.  As I mentioned, he bounced significantly more when we were taking him out for a walk over the very potholed sidewalk with his stroller.  We don't use a helmet for these walks either.

If you choose to drive your car on a smooth road, with no other traffic at speeds of under 20 kph  . . . you would probably be fine not using a car seat and holding the baby in your lap.

GuitarStv I'm happy you've had no injuries biking without a helmet for your son on the trailer but it is not like being in a stroller first off your from Ontario its the law to put a helmet on your kids in a bike trailer
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section1.3.shtml

To suggest driving a car at 20kph or any speed and not strapping in a baby is entirely irresponsible (and of course illegal) - even if the road is smooth. 

In my humble opinion I might suggest that you may have erred in not putting a helmet on junior and now your trying to explain it away and sounding ridiculous.  Its terrific to hear you now are using a helmet on your son. 

usmarine1975

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »
My parents didn't use a car seat for me or my siblings when we were growing up and we turned out somewhat OK.  Granted I put my son in a safety seat but I do think we have went from one extreme to another.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
I don't want to add more fuel to the fire of helmet vs. don't bother, but has anyone else read the typical warnings on the back of their trailer?  Mine says don't operate it if you are going faster than 10 mph...clearly this thing is intended for a leisurely ride and not regular commuting (little man and I average 15mph in a rather hilly area.)

Off topic perhaps, but has anyone in one of these combined transport arrangements added disk brakes to their bike?  DH is suggesting that we consider it for our school commute...there are some drivers that make it important for me to be able to stop quickly (I'm talking to you "texting teenager").

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »

GuitarStv I'm happy you've had no injuries biking without a helmet for your son on the trailer but it is not like being in a stroller first off your from Ontario its the law to put a helmet on your kids in a bike trailer
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section1.3.shtml

To suggest driving a car at 20kph or any speed and not strapping in a baby is entirely irresponsible (and of course illegal) - even if the road is smooth. 

In my humble opinion I might suggest that you may have erred in not putting a helmet on junior and now your trying to explain it away and sounding ridiculous.  Its terrific to hear you now are using a helmet on your son.

It's also a legal requirement that I have a bell on a road bike.  Despite the fact that my voice is:
- louder
- safer to use (don't have to move my hands off the brakes)
- instantly available

We do have some dumb laws in this country regarding bicycles.  I'd like an explanation of how vibration from a stroller is not like vibration from a bike trailer though if you would.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
noobs ;)
Bow before the badassity !

5 kiddoes raised since birth that helmets are non-negotiable requirement on anything with wheels. they do not 'try to take it off all the time.' In fact they like wearing helmets, cause good things are about to happen!

Goodwill for low-mile $3 helmets. Awesome.

Matth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »
Off topic perhaps, but has anyone in one of these combined transport arrangements added disk brakes to their bike?  DH is suggesting that we consider it for our school commute...there are some drivers that make it important for me to be able to stop quickly (I'm talking to you "texting teenager").

You may already be using your front brake as your primary, but if you aren't, I'd think that switch would be more effective than getting a bike with disc brakes. Front brakes are significantly more powerful than rear brakes on a bike, and with a trailer holding the rear wheel down, you remove most of the risk involved.

The only real benefit I could see to a disc brake is the all-weather performance, which is admittedly nice, but might not be important in areas with flat terrain.

fxsts12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »
I dont know the law, but since you are in a harness you shouldnt need a helmet. I dont use one while riding the kids and they dont wear one in the trailer. You can be as overprotective as you wish but that is a choice. When the kids ride a bike I will follow suit with the helmet thing. I also grew up without these laws and think every situation should be assessed.

clevelandc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
My parents didn't use a car seat for me or my siblings when we were growing up and we turned out somewhat OK.  Granted I put my son in a safety seat but I do think we have went from one extreme to another.

Were you ever in an accident?

My dad never wore a seat belt and he turned out ok too. Until the time he got into a car accident and died.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »

My dad never wore a seat belt and he turned out ok too. Until the time he got into a car accident and died.

I have a friend who is a head injury survivor, like had to relearn how to tie her shoes. She's not a biker that I know of, but she kept her youngest facing backwards in the car until he was every day of 4. And the older kids rode in five-point harness until they were at least seven. I'm not saying we're all going to do that (my two- and three-year-olds face forward), but we'd all be a lot safer if we did not demand personal knowledge of someone who got hurt doing x before we agreed not to do x.

And I'm sorry about your dad, clevelandc.

usmarine1975

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I am sorry you lost your father. 

Life is precious and we need to guard it as best we can.  My point was we can't just live in a bubble, or in a concrete cave, well I guess we could but then what would be the purpose.  If it helps I do wear my seat belt and as stated my children are in safety seats.  But life isn't simply do this and you live.  Good people die all the time and in the end we have little control over it.  Plenty of people have died wearing seat belts in car accidents as well as children dying in car seats etc...  Again Life is Fragile and very fleeting.  And in the end We All Die.  I do everything I can to protect my children without infringing on the ability to actually live life.

Again sorry for your loss.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
5 kiddoes raised since birth that helmets are non-negotiable requirement on anything with wheels. they do not 'try to take it off all the time.' In fact they like wearing helmets, cause good things are about to happen!

LOL, don't take this the wrong way but this made me laugh and think of training my dogs. They like going in the crate, because they're about to get treats! They like being on a leash, because they're about to go for a walk! Totally works :)

PS. That is one seriously badass biking family you have there, congrats!

clevelandc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a douche, but it sorta came out that way.

I totally agree. I just get frustrated when people say "I didn't use a car seat and I'm fine" because the people that died can't speak up. However, I am a fan of statistics. Superfreakenomics has a chapter on car seats. According to that book, at age 2, riding in a regular seat belt is statistically just as safe as a car seat. (I think a previous poster mentioned how most studies compare kids in booster seats to no seat belt at all) Since reading that I have eased up a bit on car seats. Ill let my 4 year old ride in a high back booster on short trips instead of buying another 5-point harness for my husband's car.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »

LOL, don't take this the wrong way but this made me laugh and think of training my dogs. They like going in the crate, because they're about to get treats! They like being on a leash, because they're about to go for a walk! Totally works :)

PS. That is one seriously badass biking family you have there, congrats!

Having had one of each, I can tell you that a dog is just a toddler that never learns to outsmart your mind tricks.

usmarine1975

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:05 AM »
My initial point wasn't that we shouldn't use safety devices.  My point was that we can take it too far.  I know I made this point but I wanted to articulate a little.  I wear a seat belt now since I have Children but I know this doesn't guarantee anything.  My wife was in an accident in which had she been wearing a seat belt she would not be my wife but would be dead and buried.  The driver's side of the car was smashed to the point in which no one could have survived it.  She was in the passenger seat when she landed.  Again this isn't to say that we shouldn't wear a seat belt or a safety device but simply to say that doing so does not guarantee life or safety.

I took my son the other weekend for his first bike ride in a bike seat behind me.  He wore his new Car bike helmet the whole trip.  Only at one point did he want to take it off.  It was a 20 mile ride.  He Loved it.  At the beginning I thought the leg straps for the seat were a bit much but at the end they made more sense as he fell asleep and didn't or couldn't keep his legs from swinging so I had to strap them in.  I also wore a helmet.  My old motorcycle helmet.  No worries it was not a full face but a helmet similar to the bike helmets.  I have been wearing it since on my rides.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a douche, but it sorta came out that way.

I totally agree. I just get frustrated when people say "I didn't use a car seat and I'm fine" because the people that died can't speak up. However, I am a fan of statistics. Superfreakenomics has a chapter on car seats. According to that book, at age 2, riding in a regular seat belt is statistically just as safe as a car seat. (I think a previous poster mentioned how most studies compare kids in booster seats to no seat belt at all) Since reading that I have eased up a bit on car seats. Ill let my 4 year old ride in a high back booster on short trips instead of buying another 5-point harness for my husband's car.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
My daughter has been wearing hers with little to no protest after the 1st couple trips.  I do like the idea of the foam on the seat to allow room for the helmet.  I'll look into something makeshift for that.

Here's the helmet we got her (2 yr old)
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-1007830-P-Infant-Sprout-Helmet/dp/B008YEZTOG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=13MNFNPQ2JV4NMNAG3G6