Author Topic: Burning Man & Mustachianism )'(  (Read 7459 times)

Aprés-ski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Burning Man & Mustachianism )'(
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:22 PM »
Are there any Burner Mustachians out there?! There has to be a few! Both parties ideals include bicycles, radical self-reliance, and a life of creativity/badassity.

How much does it generally cost you to attend a Burn? How do you budget for it?

cambridgecyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Burning Man & Mustachianism )'(
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
While I am not a burner, I am involved in communities with many burner participants.

I am sure that there are some burners who are mustachian. However, most of the burners that I know, while lovely people, are not long-term thinkers or planners. I don't know that the overlap is any larger than with the general population.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
I've been curious, but haven't gone. I am not sure I am a bona fide mustachian either.

It sounds fascinating, but may be a tad (too) weird for me...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
So do you have to bring all your own food? Or is there food there, part of the price of admission?
I've viewed this as a big performance art event. I don't know how much it has changed over the years, it certainly gets more attention now.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »
You must bring everything you need to survive, most importantly food, water, shelter and clothing.  Check out the Survival Guide on burningman.com for insight.

Once you hit the playa, all you're going to find is dust, art, whacky people and one tent in the center camp that will sell you bags of ice and coffee.  No other vending.  Nothing is included with admission.

Is it mustachian?  Depends on your values.  It sure ain't cheap though.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »
You must bring everything you need to survive, most importantly food, water, shelter and clothing.

All that comes to mind....

EricL

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of something to add to my to do list.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
You guys should start a MMM camp.  And... I've exhausted my knowledge on this subject.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
I don't get it...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:33 PM »
I don't get it...

You should comb the desert (until you find it/them)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
I don't get it...

You should comb the desert (until you find it/them)

His radar is probably jammed.

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Do you think he's trying his best???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:03:37 PM by Bikesy »

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
I've done it, but I was flying in from the East Coast so it was definitely NOT cheap for me! OTOH, if you can drive there, and already have camping gear and a suitable vehicle to haul it all (plus lots of food&water) to the site, then it could be much cheaper.

The tickets are crazy expensive these days, but once you're there you don't have to pay for anything except ice for your cooler. All of the events are free, and people even give away stuff (mainly drinks or occasionally food, though the state keeps piling on more red tape for those every year).

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
You guys should start a MMM camp.  And... I've exhausted my knowledge on this subject.

I'd be down.  I've always wanted to go, but don't trust my friends that are burners...

I grew up [redacted for privacy] and am very familiar with the culture and how people stock up before they go (word of advice: don't assume you can buy camping equipment or water in the nearby towns on your way there.  It can be hard to find stuff in Reno, let alone the smaller towns.  Stock up at least a few weeks in advance, if not more for non-perishables).

I've never heard anyone's budgeting plans before...  most people are concerned a lot more about the costumes and camp theme they will have ;)  cambridgecyclist hit a good point -- most burners plan in advance for the ticket price, but not much else.  Like I said, I don't trust any of my burner friends enough to go with them...

A few people mentioned self reliance, but there's also camp reliance and community.  Split costs and responsibilities evenly amongst your camp.  Don't assume you can get anything from other camps, but be willing to help others as you can.  Bring a small gift for visitors! :)

My recommendations are to start immediately pricing everything out and plan what you can afford between now and then.  How you get your gear is largely determined by where you live.  If you are flying in... that's going to suck.  Expect to pay a lot more for everything [near the playa].  See if someone in your camp can bring the biggest stuff and offer to buy the food and small items like sunscreen.   If you are driving yourself in, start staggering your purchases and make sure it all fits in your car.  You can't drive on the playa once you pitch camp, so consider your mode of transport wisely and factor it into your usable car space.

General tips:
Second hand gear is great, but test all second hand equipment for the appropriate level of water proofing and dust proofing.  Plan for EVERYTHING you brig to be covered in playa dust and to get dust inside it
Every year, [stores] market more and more things toward Burners, so watch out for overpriced nonsense
Bring hella baby wipes
Use caution when taking drugs
Make your own costumes
Clothing cost is inversely proportional to sunscreen cost

I would like to travel back in time and go ten years ago
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:13:52 PM by Chranstronaut »

Mechanista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
I'm a burner and it's been a great experience. Is it inexpensive? Nope. But on the continuum of "expensive" recreation or vacations I don't think its out of bounds or anti-mustache. On the contrary I find that "radical self reliance" and de-empahsis of commerce in favor of a better life are very mustachian concepts. I'd take a week on the playa to a week in Disneyhell or a Sandals resort any day.

Tickets are pricey and getting more so. Remember that the event costs money to run.  You are responsible for ALL your immediate needs as far as food, water, shelter, clothing etc. Ticket funds go towards permits, sanitation, law-enforcement, emergency services etc. A few years back my friend sliced open her hand on accident and a nice MD at the medical tent stitched it up and gave her antibiotics free of charge. That is the kind if thing the ticket price will get you. Also buy early and tickets are less.

As far as what it costs, it's very much up to you. If you buy food and supplies last minute in Reno...prepare to pay big. It takes planning. Water and food aren't that expensive if you plan right. Costumes can be DIY. Art projects don't have to cost a fortune although some are very elaborate and people spend a lot. We bought an old camper trailer that was nearly dead for like $400 and fixed it up built bunk beds in it. A tent is even cheaper but less comfortable. If I had to throw out a number I'd say on average it costs me maybe $2k per burn for the entire week all said and done. The first year was the most expensive, with subsequent years costing less since shelter and gear had already been acquired.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

I would definitely go to the MMM camp. When is it?

Aprés-ski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
Burning man happens this year between August 25th and September 1st.  A mustachian theme Camp is a pretty wicked idea. Especially if everybody grew/painted on mustaches.  It seems like a lot of MMM ideals are secretly wrapped up in BM.  For example there are several homebrewer camps and a large renewable energy camp. Plus, all the entertainment is free. Well, aside from the cost of survival gear, consumables, and tickets.

Costs me about $2k (rounding up) for the girlfriend and myself to go.

Could be an interesting meet up for Mustachians.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
I live in Reno and never went for years. Then I joined a local hacker space that had a few burner members that really talked it up so my wife and I went in 2013. It's not frugal at all but it was completely worth it.

I'm kind of a craigslist flipper so I bought an RV trailer for the event and sold it for a profit afterward. The planning was a big deal and took up much of my summer free time (for example I built a bicycle rickshaw and fully outfitted it with color changing LEDs). For someone flying in the logistics and cost would be high. RV rentals go for $3k for the week!

The scale of the event and the amount of resources spent to make it happen are staggering. Once you get there it is obvious that BM is life for some of these people. Founders of dot com companies pay million of dollars to create theme camps where there is no chance for return on investment. It's pretty amazing and worth the cost to go at least once.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
So who made it?  Freak thunderstorm was an interesting start and I only got one small second-degree burn from flying embers.  I call that a success.

AnonymousCoward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »
I'd like to point out that there are tons of burns other than Burning Man (some are officially affiliated, some aren't). Check out this list. These are much cheaper and more accessible. They're also not as highly attended so you lose out on the grand scale of Burning Man, but then again no one is arriving by helicopter or going there to "be seen".

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »
I'd like to point out that there are tons of burns other than Burning Man (some are officially affiliated, some aren't). Check out this list. These are much cheaper and more accessible. They're also not as highly attended so you lose out on the grand scale of Burning Man, but then again no one is arriving by helicopter or going there to "be seen".

Flipside was really fun, damn hot though. After the first day we didn't go in the pond/creek and started calling it "stinky hippie stew" - got pretty revolting.

Aprés-ski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Ya, that thunderstorm was nuts. Friends of mine at Black Rock Lemonade said that lighting hit and exploded a metallic ice chest in a nearby camp. The MOOP & grey water nazis probably had a heart attack!!!

Mexitali

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frugal is the New Fancy (love!)
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
We haven't been since 2005 but outside of tickets (which we got the first day they went on sale to save $$, we were very frugal. Homemade costumes and body paint, borrowed camping gear and pretty much followed all of the recommendations. We went with 10 other people and split costs as a group for materials. I think we spent about $800 total. Great experience! Not something we have seen financially fit to do again but very happy we did it once.