Author Topic: "First World Problems" by Weird Al Yankovic  (Read 6020 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
"First World Problems" by Weird Al Yankovic
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:34:46 AM »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: "First World Problems" by Weird Al Yankovic
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
Not realistic, he walked a few places  :-)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:45:43 AM »
LOVE this video.  I watched it about 5 times last weekend. 

I hate it when the Barista forgets to put the design on my vanilla lattes.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:44 AM »
I love it too. I hate when my fridge is too full of food to fit more.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »
I hate it when the Barista forgets to put the design on my vanilla lattes.

That totally bogues my high! :)

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
I don't remember where I saw this, but it might have been on MMM...anyway, it's good to check this out.

http://www.trueactivist.com/gab_gallery/first-world-problems-read-by-third-world-children/

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
Poor third world children that is. I've met some kids from rather poor countries who grew up with nannies, cooks chauffeurs, private schools etc.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
Yes, that would be a difference :) I've been to several poor countries; there's always massive mansions right next to thousands of tin and carboard hovels. So you do have to think of the difference.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
Poor third world children that is. I've met some kids from rather poor countries who grew up with nannies, cooks chauffeurs, private schools etc.

Fun fact: the top 5 countries in GDP per capita are all third-world countries! So is Switzerland, for that matter.

Being a "third world country" has nothing to do with affluence, and everything to do with not being aligned with either NATO or the Warsaw Pact.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Not sure what's up with pop crush, but the video wouldn't work.  I had to actually to go youtube and search for the video.  Talk about your first world problems.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
Being a "third world country" has nothing to do with affluence, and everything to do with not being aligned with either NATO or the Warsaw Pact.

WTF dude?  This is a totally pedantic use of the archaic definition of the "third world" and has no bearing on modern reality.  Back in the 60s "third world" referred to countries not part of the cold war, but since then it has commonly referred to poor, developing, or "emerging market" economies which are by definition NOT on the list of highest GDP per capita.

I see three different lists presented, and none of the countries in the top five count as "third-world" by the modern definition.  Norway?  Qatar?  Singapore?  These are thriving first world nations.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »

WTF dude?  This is a totally pedantic use of the archaic definition of the "third world" and has no bearing on modern reality.  Back in the 60s "third world" referred to countries not part of the cold war, but since then it has commonly referred to poor, developing, or "emerging market" economies which are by definition NOT on the list of highest GDP per capita.

I see three different lists presented, and none of the countries in the top five count as "third-world" by the modern definition.  Norway?  Qatar?  Singapore?  These are thriving first world nations.

It's not my fault people don't have a sense of history and thus end up with cargo-cult etymology.

naloj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
It's "less developed nation" now.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Or Global South, or Developing Nation,

Or judging by the number who migrate to affluent nations, "'Oh dear God please get me out of here' nation"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
I don't remember where I saw this, but it might have been on MMM...anyway, it's good to check this out.

http://www.trueactivist.com/gab_gallery/first-world-problems-read-by-third-world-children/

Wow, that was powerful.  Thank you for sharing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »

Wow, that was powerful.  Thank you for sharing.

No problem. I used to do mission work in foreign countries, drilling wells or building important things like clinics and security walls. That video reminds me of all the wonderful people I met that, though they had next to nothing, were amazingly intelligent and happy with their lives. It gives you a certain perspective concerning Western culture and 1st world problems. I think part of the reason I embrace FIRE is the memories I have of those people. MMM's philosophy coincides so much with theirs (i.e. wanting what you have and living well) that I embraced it without any second thoughts.