Author Topic: Summer reading- book recommendations  (Read 8800 times)

essjay43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Summer reading- book recommendations
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »
About to being a vacation and am looking for some recommendations. I'm trying to avoid any real dry financial books, but something that promotes mustachianism would be ideal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Summer reading- book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
About to being a vacation and am looking for some recommendations. I'm trying to avoid any real dry financial books, but something that promotes mustachianism would be ideal.

Skim through some of the threads in the Mustachian Book Club Section of the forums and see if anything strikes your fancy.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
Here are a few random suggestions. They don't don't necessarily promote mustachianism, but hopefully there's some loose connection...

Non-Fiction:

Tim Harford's "Undercover Economist" books, especially "The Undercover Economist Strikes Back."

"Essentialism" - Greg McKeown

"A Geography of Hope: A Tour of the World we Need" - Chris Turner

Fiction:

"A Fine Balance" - Rohinton Mistry

"Into The Wild" - John Krakauer

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
A GiveGuide to the Good Life by William Irvine

[Mod Edit: Typo fixed to be helpful for someone looking for that book. :) ]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:52:51 AM by arebelspy »

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
"A Year in Provence" - Peter Mayle

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - Robert Pirsig

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
I just finished reading Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod.  She decides in her early thirties that she no longer want to work a desk job and begins by wondering what it would take to save up enough money to quit her job for 1 year to 'rediscover' herself.  She decides that she needs to save $100/day to make enough in one year to take her hiatus.

What she does is what anyone who wants to grow a mustache should consider doing.  I don't want to give away too much.  Here is the link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Letters-Janice-MacLeod/dp/1402288794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404676650&sr=1-1&keywords=janice+macleod

It was a light easy read, perfect for a vacation

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:29:14 AM »

Skim through some of the threads in the Mustachian Book Club Section of the forums and see if anything strikes your fancy.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/
This. Lots of good summaries and reviews that allow you to get a little flavor of the book before you check it out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 02:51:39 AM »
Just ordered "Paris Letters" from the library. Looking forward to a nice summer read! Thanks Melissa!

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
1967mama, let me know if you liked the book.  I would love to do something similar but for right now three kids keep me a bit more responsible than that!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
A GiveGuide to the Good Life by William Irvine

[Mod Edit: Typo fixed to be helpful for someone looking for that book. :) ]

Thank you!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
Hi Melissa,

The book (Paris Letters)  was GREAT! The chapters are fairly short and so I was able to squeeze one in here and there, in between caring for kids, making meals, waiting for appointments etc. A lovely summer indulgence. I haven't actually FINISHED a book in quite some time, but read this one cover to cover!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
I enjoyed listening to the audiobook "The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam," and am reading his second book "...to Paris." It is a relaxing read, at least thus far. Another enjoyable book if you like sci-fi is "I am number four," I am about a quarter of the way through.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »
Hi Melissa,

The book (Paris Letters)  was GREAT! The chapters are fairly short and so I was able to squeeze one in here and there, in between caring for kids, making meals, waiting for appointments etc. A lovely summer indulgence. I haven't actually FINISHED a book in quite some time, but read this one cover to cover!

I also read it within the last few weeks (and then my wife did, and I recommended it to some friends).  It was a very quick read (I think it took 3 hours?), a little cheesy at times, but quite light and enjoyable.

Thanks for the recommendation Melissa!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
Currently enjoying "Making Home: Adapting our homes and our lives to settle in place" by Sharon Astyk. I've read more this summer than I have in years, thanks to great recommendations here on the forums!

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »
I just finished reading Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod.

Just read Paris Letters too! +1 recommended..

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
i'm almost finished with 'the good earth' by pearl s. buck. set in china sometime around 1920 it's about a farmer and his wife working the land through times of plenty and times of famine. it's a good lesson in saving and spending and doing what you gotta do to get by.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
i'm almost finished with 'the good earth' by pearl s. buck. set in china sometime around 1920 it's about a farmer and his wife working the land through times of plenty and times of famine. it's a good lesson in saving and spending and doing what you gotta do to get by.

I love that book.  So good.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
I just read the marvelous fiction book "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. It was delightful and really touched on the idea that life is about how fully you live it, not acquiring things.  The old man lives his whole life in the moment and has a series of adventures that make for a great read. 

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »

I love that book.  So good.

Check out Pearl Buck in China: Journey to The Good Earth - well written and fascinating.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »
Hi Melissa, I read Paris Letters at your recommendation & enjoyed it . Thank you. I'm way into traveling and appreciate some of Janice's ideas .A quick light read.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »
I'm about to start Disclosure, my first Crichton book. Anyone read it?

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »
I just finished reading Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod.  She decides in her early thirties that she no longer want to work a desk job and begins by wondering what it would take to save up enough money to quit her job for 1 year to 'rediscover' herself.  She decides that she needs to save $100/day to make enough in one year to take her hiatus.

What she does is what anyone who wants to grow a mustache should consider doing.  I don't want to give away too much.  Here is the link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Letters-Janice-MacLeod/dp/1402288794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404676650&sr=1-1&keywords=janice+macleod

Just picked this up at the library this weekend and had trouble putting it down last night when it was time to go to sleep. I'm really enjoying it, thanks for the recommendation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!