Author Topic: De-sugaring  (Read 63460 times)

cats

• Handlebar Stache
De-sugaring
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
Earlier this year I did a three week "detox" which included cutting all sugar out of my diet.  I felt freaking amazing after the first week--more energy, no afternoon slump, sleeping better, skin looked better, yada yada.  It was actually surprisingly easy, and yet....somehow I seem to have gone back to eating, well, too much of it (or at least, enough that I feel it's having a negative impact on my health).  I know what I need to do to stop (mainly, make sure I eat enough calories from other, better, sources), I just need to tell someone I'm doing it to make myself more accountable.  Which is where you all come in :)

So:

From now (4/25) through the end of May, no sugar (aside from fresh fruit, obviously). 

Long-term I'd like to be more of a dessert on the weekends only sort of a person, but I like the idea of getting it totally out of my system first.

Anyone else care to come along for the ride?

sunnyca

• Bristles
Re: De-sugaring
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Sarah Wilson has a website called I Quit Sugar that also has a lot of helpful tips on sugar detoxing.  Her primary website does as well.  I think the only difference is that she suggests also cutting fruit out for a little while, as well.

Good website though.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
I don't think that I'll ever get to a no sugar place, but where I am right now is utterly ridiculous. I don't understand it. I was never a huge sweets fan, and I always hated ice cream. Now I eat chocolate all day long (literally from the minute that I wake up until I go to sleep), and I feel antsy if we don't have any ice cream in the house. I've been wondering if it has anything to do with having to give up gluten (not as a lifestyle choice, but because I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2010). Maybe the stuff that I was eating was quickly turning into sugar and my body misses it?

I don't know, but I do know that I am not stoked about how I feel. My husband was able to drop sugar for the past week, eating fresh fruit to replace it. I feel like growling at the idea of being kept from chocolate. That in itself probably means that it's time.

I'll definitely be along for the ride and will check out I Quit Sugar.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Go Cats go!

I have been traveling for work a ton the last 6 months -- and it's so hard to eat well when you are on the road. I've been home since March 25, though, so I have been starch and sugar free since that date, with one exception (Pommes frites and flourless chocolate cake on my anniversary).

It's incredible how much it helps with everything! Digestion, sleep, mood, all of it. So I will join your cause! Only thing is, I'm going to Paris for a weekend and I am definitely planning to eat pastries there. But other than that weekend, I'm with you!!

The only sugar I've been having is a few squares of 85% dark chocolate most evenings, and every now and then a frozen banana-chocolate-coconut milk smoothie. So far so good :)

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
I'm in! For some reason, lots of people have been bringing this new mama chocolate and treats...and for the first time in my life, I'm nibbling on it constantly. But, I know it makes me feel bad and am working to get back in shape. Just read Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar(made her zucchini cheesecake this morning!)

Count me in and thanks for the timely post!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
Good think to do! Too much (or much at all) sugar is not good, and there is sugar now in everything, even where you dont expect it. In sausages or any sliced and packed meat for example. All 3 types sometimes.

Also if you think you get sleepy from too much sugar, you could have a non-alcohol induced fatty liver (I dont drink any alcohol and I got one, I think from drinking only Fanta in my youth). Any dry mouth feelings even after drinking? Then check it. A blood screening can reveal unusual numbers. (I got the information of that from donating blood, where they check it. Never thought I could get a fatty liver, I'm not even overweight and as I said drink no alcohol.)

Also fat and sugar make a circle, resulting in too much weight and diabetes.

I don't think that I'll ever get to a no sugar place, but where I am right now is utterly ridiculous. I don't understand it. I was never a huge sweets fan, and I always hated ice cream. Now I eat chocolate all day long (literally from the minute that I wake up until I go to sleep), and I feel antsy if we don't have any ice cream in the house... I feel like growling at the idea of being kept from chocolate. That in itself probably means that it's time.
Definitely. It could also mean you have diabetes (or some pre-form). I would recommend to check it.

Sorry if I sound a bit alarming, but I know from personal/family experience what sugar can cause (up to amputated legs), and the earlier you know about problems, the better. Thats a real investment in yourself, even if it costs a few bucks.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or dietician!

I've been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption, and a big part of that is fruit sugars. I'm not saying that everybody is sensitive to fructose but remember that fruit isn't necessarily better because the sugar it contains is natural!

Can't blame you for not giving up fruit though. I miss apples almost as much as I don't miss disgusting stomach problems :P

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »
I am with you.  I've gotten bad again about partaking in the treats at work.  Was intending this weekend to re-boot my paleo-ish diet, and that means cutting out added sugars, as well as wheat, and anything under 85% chocolate.  (unrelated note, I was so excited to find my favorite 85% choc bars on sale yesterday, I bought all 10 that were on the shelf, and then had a dream last night that my coworker wanted to buy some, and I was hiding the fact that I had hoarded them all.  I think I have a problem.)

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Wow, okay, glad it's not just me :)

I think my sugar problems definitely date back to college--while we always had sweets on hand growing up, I don't feel they were eaten to excess (a little ice cream or a couple of cookies after dinner, but no sugar snacking between meals, no soda, etc.).  My freshman year of college I got paranoid about freshman 15 and probably went a little TOO much onto the "healthy eating" bandwagon, and then boomeranged off it in a big way.  I got a lot better after college and have definitely gone through phases where I haven't really felt much craving for sugar (actually, during my "no sugar" period earlier this year, all my cravings went away after the first 24 hours or so), but I don't seem able to maintain that long-term.  I do sometimes have a tendency to stress-eat, and that's what tends to start me down the slippery slope.

From my break from sugar earlier this year, I've learned that what's most important for me is to make sure I am still eating enough calories overall (so be sure to pack snacks for work!), and that I am getting a good dose of protein at breakfast.  I aim for at least 20g of protein at breakfast (ideally, 20g at every meal, but breakfast seems to be the really key one).

This weekend I made myself a full meal plan for the coming week (i.e., specifically planning out breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks) and will have a bunch of stuff prepped.

I had heard about the I Quit Sugar diet in the past and have the book on hold at the library.  For anyone interested, the detox I did earlier this year was the Clean program (there's a book for that also).  It is potentially a little gimmicky (Gwyneth Paltrow is a huge fan, which did cause me to give it the side-eye at first), but if you're a sensible person and not obsessed with dropping 10 pounds in 3 weeks, I think it's actually a pretty solid program.  For me, the end of my 3 weeks happened to coincide with a bunch of work events and then Valentine's Day chocolate and....yeah.  Not so great! 

LennStar, that is interesting about the fatty liver.  What was the blood work that revealed the problem to you?  I don't know that sugar makes me feel *unusually* tired.  I suspect part of my problem may simply be that I am chronically at risk for sleep deprivation unless I am really on top of things, so I may just be ultra-sensitive to the effects of any blood sugar fluctuations.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
I don't think that I'll ever get to a no sugar place, but where I am right now is utterly ridiculous. I don't understand it. I was never a huge sweets fan, and I always hated ice cream. Now I eat chocolate all day long (literally from the minute that I wake up until I go to sleep), and I feel antsy if we don't have any ice cream in the house. I've been wondering if it has anything to do with having to give up gluten (not as a lifestyle choice, but because I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2010). Maybe the stuff that I was eating was quickly turning into sugar and my body misses it?

I don't know, but I do know that I am not stoked about how I feel. My husband was able to drop sugar for the past week, eating fresh fruit to replace it. I feel like growling at the idea of being kept from chocolate. That in itself probably means that it's time.

I'll definitely be along for the ride and will check out I Quit Sugar.

not that this necessarily relates to you but some of my patients a few years before they start getting diabetes develop a strong craving for simple carbs/sugars. i would say if you are good about adding in a ton of fruits and veggies for the amount of sugars you consume you might be able to fight off some of the detrimental effects of sugars. but in general of course daily sugar consumption is ok in small amounts. and i would encourage you to have dairy free dark chocolate with 70%+ cocoa.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:21 AM »
LennStar, that is interesting about the fatty liver.  What was the blood work that revealed the problem to you?  I don't know that sugar makes me feel *unusually* tired.  I suspect part of my problem may simply be that I am chronically at risk for sleep deprivation unless I am really on top of things, so I may just be ultra-sensitive to the effects of any blood sugar fluctuations.
There were several indicators, but most importantly the gamma GT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-glutamyl_transpeptidase

After I dropped the sugar drinks (for other reasons, but coincidentally it all happened at one summer) the amount steadily dropped so I stopped going to the doctor specifically for this after 4 years of "watching", but I know that I have to watch out for sleepiness and dry mouth.
(I did a sugar test at the time the fatty liver was revealed, but everything was fortunately still OK. Thats why I blame the drinks after researching the sugar-fat(-diabetes) dependency.)

If you have more psychological problems with sleeping I suggest you read Raptitude from the start, if you dont know it already. http://www.raptitude.com/archives-list Lots of interesting, live bettering things to find ;)
I am also a person who has problems getting to sleep because my mind starts to race. Watching my breath has helped me. Just mindfully breath in and out and in and out... Average time to start sleeping got down from nearly one hour to perhaps less then a half. Regular walks after the evening meal can also help, if you dont have much exercise in your day. Not necessarily faster, but better sleep.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »
Oh, I have no problem falling asleep, it's just that I don't have a lot of time available for sleeping.  If I can stick to my schedule in the evenings and get into bed by 9, all is well.  Problem is that stuff keeps coming up...

BikerSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »
I'm in.  I really do need the accountability.  I'm not too bad with desserts and obvious sweets, but I really have to watch all of the hidden sugar.  In addition to tracking my spending (huge eye openers there), I've been tracking my food too.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
Oh, I have no problem falling asleep, it's just that I don't have a lot of time available for sleeping.  If I can stick to my schedule in the evenings and get into bed by 9, all is well.  Problem is that stuff keeps coming up...
I wonder if adult metabolisms start shifting around age 40 to do better with protein than sugar.  The more protein I eat, the yummier it gets.  The less sugar I eat, the worse it tastes.

We're not zealots, but our philosophy is that if we're going to eat sugar then it better be coated in chocolate.  It's amazing how much sugar leaps into your grocery cart disguised as energy drinks, cereal, yogurt, condiments, milk, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, and even... canned corn?!?

It's way too easy to substitute fruit for a sugary diet, but once you've cut out all the hidden sugar and reached a new plateau then you're ready for the next challenge:  less fruit, more vegetables.  It's an acquired habit, but if you can insert a veggie snack after the afternoon chocolate then you can feel rewarded yet still virtuous. 

The only reason that we've been able to cut back on our chocolate consumption is because we've eliminated so much other sugar from out diet.  Once sugar starts to taste overwhelmingly sweet (months after you begin reducing it) then it's easier to eat less chocolate.  If we had tried to cut back on chocolate from the start there would have been mutiny in the ranks...

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
I eat very little added sugar, because I cook most of our food. When I do add sugar to our food, it's usually from the sweet chili sauce or in the form of molasses, which brings a lot of minerals in with it. I have noticed recently though that the amount of sugared chocolate and yoghurt has been creeping up. I do wonder if I have some blood sugar issues/pre-diabetes going on, because I notice a lot of excessive thirst when I do eat more sugary foods.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Well, I had a small slip up already.  Sunday night we went after dinner with friends and they suggested going for frozen yogurt.  I was in the yogurt place with my hand on the lever when I remembered that "HEY, YOU AREN'T EATING SUGAR!".  So, I wound up having a very tiny frozen yogurt and resolving to get back on the bandwagon promptly.  Today and yesterday have been happily sugar free.  I'm not really craving sugar specifically, BUT...I have gotten pretty hungry in the afternoon both yesterday and today.  I'm attempting to solve that problem by replenishing my office stash of raw nuts tomorrow.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
Kudos for doing so well the last couple of days!  I haven't done nearly as well. 

Fresh start tomorrow. Stocked up on nuts, salad, and other yummy sugar-free stuff for work tomorrow.

jugglingcontinents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:52 AM »
I'm a bit late, but count me in as well! I really need the accountability.

For a little while, I did the "no sugar except on the weekends" thing and it really had a positive impact on my energy level. But I haven't done it for months now, so this is a good way to get back on the wagon. My biggest hurdle: an incredibly well-stocked office pantry steps away from my desk. And the moment things get stressful, I find myself grabbing a piece of chocolate.. or four :( So new POA: Stock nuts in the pantry as a healthier(?) alternative and work on staying stress-free.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:33:31 AM by jugglingcontinents »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Day 4 with no sugar!  I am really astonished at my lack of cravings.  It is kind of nuts--right now it's that time of the month for me and I haven't really thought about chocolate at all.  CRAZY.  I am putting it down to making sure I get enough protein (and, to a lesser extent, fat).  Today my appetite/hunger also seems to have started sorting itself out a bit.

I Quit Sugar came in for me at the library.  My verdict: The recipes look decent, the program is a bit vague.  I see she sells the program on her website too, I assume you get more detailed meal plans and such if you go that route.  Obviously I'm not interested in paying for it :)  I'll be bookmarking a few of the better looking recipes to try out in the near future.  I will say the book is nice and glossy and fun to flip through!

Next step is getting through the weekend.  Hopefully won't be a big deal!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
Congrats cats- four days without sugar, that's great!

IQS is an ok program (I haven't bought it either, so I don't really know) but I do enjoy the recipes, several of which can be found for free on her main site (Sarah Wilson) or the IQS site. Same with CCK's.

Best of luck getting through the weekend- I'm rooting for you!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »
I need to get back on the bandwagon with this, too. I quit sugar for several months a few months back, but I've been slipping the last six or eight weeks.

I've also decided I'm not going to worry about canned spaghetti sauce. It has a little in it, and I have bigger problems. :-)

Similarly, I'm not going to worry about ketchup. I don't think I eat anything else on Nord's list of usual suspects. We do eat a lot of peanut butter, but we buy the natural kind with no sugar and no palm oil, just ground peanuts. I have checks that label -- It really is just ground peanuts and a little salt. I do eat yogurt, but I buy plain  unflavored yogurt with no added sugar. It's a cooking ingredient, mostly.

No, my trouble is candy. And ice cream. And baked goods that people bring to work. Also nutty bars. You get the idea!

I am cheating with sugar-free chocolate, and I'm not sorry. I'm not going to worry about fruits; like I said,  bigger problems. I'll tackle straight-up highly processed sucrose, and maybe worry about naturally-occurring fructose at some point in the far distant future. I'm cutting out the things that people normally consider desserts. I'm also going to plant some stevia today, I think. That will help longer-term.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:43:37 AM by Rural »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »
good job so far, cats! i'm holding strong, too, though i did eat some wendy's yesterday. but that is a total anomaly, so i'm not going to worry about it.

the only kind of sugar i've been eating is the 85% dark chocolate from trader joe's. it's very very low in sugar, and it scratches that chocolate itch ...

Nancy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »
This is my third day without added sugar. I eat a healthy diet-ton of fruit and veg. But I also have a serious frozen yogurt habit. I started eating frozen berries as a sweet/frozen replacement, and it's working so far.   

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
I've turned down ice cream twice in 48 hours. No sugar.

No stevia seeds found in town, so I'll have to order.

Great craving buster my mother taught me years ago, but I'd forgotten: when craving sugar, eat a pickle. The craving vanishes nine times out of ten.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
I work for a company that designs and builds sugar cane harvesters... :(

I've gone sugar-free in the past, and it helped me lose weight (not by itself). I'd like to get back there again, for general health reasons.

Shelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »
I'm in!  Have been eating so much sugar lately (in particular chocolate), and I know if I cut sugar out, it will be better for me and our grocery bill!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »

Wow, nice work!

Still no sugar for me, yay.  Though, I hopped on the scale this morning and was disappointed to see I'm at the heavier end of my personal "normal" range.  I don't really need to lose weight, but I have to say that's still kind of making me grrrrrr.  Although to be fair, this week my precaution against the possibility of sugar cravings was to stay full and have a lot of snacks at the ready, so I was probably overcompensating.  Today I haven't really felt like snacking so this coming week I may try to cut back on the snacks a bit.  Yesterday I was almost starting to feel *too* full in the afternoon!

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »
We started cutting all added sugars in January.  It gets a lot easier as time goes on- I have minimal cravings now if any.  We do add pure chocolate, coconut, and honey to some recipes when needed.  This (along with paleo and lifting) has helped me go from 245lbs to 205lbs this year.  Hardest thing for me was learning to drink black coffee and plain tea.  After a few months you will actually feel sick when you eat sugar! I ate a piece of chocolate cake yesterday for an event and my stomach was going crazy because of it- felt my whole body overload because of the sugar.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »

Wow, nice work!

Still no sugar for me, yay.  Though, I hopped on the scale this morning and was disappointed to see I'm at the heavier end of my personal "normal" range.  I don't really need to lose weight, but I have to say that's still kind of making me grrrrrr.  Although to be fair, this week my precaution against the possibility of sugar cravings was to stay full and have a lot of snacks at the ready, so I was probably overcompensating.  Today I haven't really felt like snacking so this coming week I may try to cut back on the snacks a bit.  Yesterday I was almost starting to feel *too* full in the afternoon!

Made up for it by falling off the wagon late last night when I was sleepy. I ate a Nutty bar, and I don't even really like them that much! Well today is a brand-new day, right?

jugglingcontinents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
6 days and the going's good. Even went to a bachelorette party and stayed strong in the face of cupcakes and candy :) I was ill over the weekend, which was great for killing the cravings but not for much else. Now that the fever's gone and the appetite's up, let's see if I can keep up the progress...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Last day of exams today. I swear, half the (female) graduating class baked something last night and brought some in for their favorite professors. It's really hard to turn that down, and would be really rude beside.

In other words, sugar was eaten today.

As I said the day before yesterday, tomorrow is a new day.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
Ugh... brownies.
Tomorrow is a new day.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
Not taking up the gauntlet, but writing in to support y'all.  I've cut back on the coke I drink each day (NONE at work now!  This is amazing) and that plus more careful eating has helped me lose 6 lbs over 6 weeks.  Except when I eat certain dishes at the office that I probably shouldn't, I dont even crave the coke then anymore.  I've only cut back drinking coke at home a bit though.

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
The good news with all this is the longer you go without sugar, the easier it is to stay without sugar.

I went all whole foods basically for a few months.  Then I went home to my parents for the weekend (almost everything they eat is processed).  Man, my stomach was KILLING me by the end of that weekend.  I'll never got back to that junk.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
Today was a success. I ate no sugar (fructose aside) and reminded myself through examples that, as far as I'm concerned, avocados w are better than chocolate.

I also made it thought the end of term grading crunch without resorting to the chocolate brownie sundae a colleague offered me.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »

I hope you are eating gluten free ice cream if you are eating ice cream.

I am in. I've been going for a week so far with no sweets.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
Today was a success. I ate no sugar (fructose aside) and reminded myself through examples that, as far as I'm concerned, avocados w are better than chocolate.

I also made it thought the end of term grading crunch without resorting to the chocolate brownie sundae a colleague offered me.

I could not resist. You can sub stevia for the brown sugar called for in the recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-avocado-pudding/

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Yeah be careful changing sugar in baking recipes, it can throw it off.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
Well....I ate a brownie this afternoon.  Sigh.  On the bright side, I was pretty "mindful" about eating it, i.e., ate slowly and enjoyed it rather than gobbling it down.  I also did not follow it up with a chocolate bar chaser.  However, I definitely had a post-sugar energy crash and my stomach, while not violently angry with me, was definitely un-thrilled about the choice.

I'm finishing out the day with a big salad and soup for dinner, and plan to be fully back on the sugar-free train tomorrow.

One thing I need to work on is my meals during the week.  I *know* I need to have a substantial breakfast with a decent amount of protein and some fat to avoid getting hungry.  I've been mostly doing green smoothies with a scoop of protein powder plus flax meal and/or almond butter thrown in, but some days I really want something hot and this is tripping me up.  I keep a stash of oatmeal and frozen vegetables at work and this is my go-to hot weekday breakfast, but I think it's just not got enough staying power.   Tomorrow I'm going to try doing some scrambled eggs with cottage cheese in the microwave and adding vegetables from my stash.  I keep saying I'm going to make a bunch of frittata muffins on the weekend and bring them in for breakfasts but I can't seem to get my act together to actually DO IT.  This needs to change.  On the weekends my standard breakfast is 2 fried eggs or an omelet plus a huge heap of vegetables and it seems to not only kill sugar cravings but also really keep me comfortably full for hours--I never want lunch earlier than maybe 1 pm (often 2 or even 3), while during the week I'm ravenous by about 11.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »
good idea on making sure you add protein and fat to breakfast! my husband has been making us soft boiled eggs, served with a nice knob of butter and a couple slices of bacon, just about every morning, and i often don't even get hungry again until mid-afternoon.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »

I could not resist. You can sub stevia for the brown sugar called for in the recipe:

Oh damn. I'd hate you, except for the Stevia thing. Therefore, I love you.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »

LOL. CommonCents said to be careful about subbing in sugar in baking, but this is not baking…

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

LOL. CommonCents said to be careful about subbing in sugar in baking, but this is not baking…

It's not even cooking; it's blending. Pure genius.

Subbing for sugar mostly affects yeast-based baking, anyway, if you don't have enough sugar to feed the yeast. I mostly bake sweets with baking powder, and that sort has never given me any trouble over a substitution.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
Well, I ate an ENTIRE bag of jelly bellies today, so I clearly need some help on this. 

good idea on making sure you add protein and fat to breakfast! my husband has been making us soft boiled eggs, served with a nice knob of butter and a couple slices of bacon, just about every morning, and i often don't even get hungry again until mid-afternoon.

Can we talk about this breakfast more?  How many soft boiled eggs?  Do you eat those in the shell?  I've never had one before.  How does the butter factor in? 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
Well, I ate an ENTIRE bag of jelly bellies today, so I clearly need some help on this. 

Can we talk about this breakfast more?  How many soft boiled eggs?  Do you eat those in the shell?  I've never had one before.  How does the butter factor in?

sure! my husband has it down to a science.

1) let the eggs come to room temperature
2) boil water that comes about 1" over the eggs
3) once it's boiling, put the eggs in and set a timer for 1 minute
4) at the end of 1 minute, cover the pot and remove from the heat and set a timer for 7 minutes
5) at the end of 7 minutes, rinse under cold water and remove the shells
6) stick them in a cup with about a tablespoon of butter (i am a whore for butter so maybe even a little more)
7) add some salt and white pepper, mash it all up, and eat it with a spoon (and a couple slices of bacon on the side if you have 'em)

sooooooo gooooood

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »
My kids love eggs like this! I wait till the water boils and then put in eggs, boil for six minutes, and then deshell. We use jumbo eggs, drop a minute for smaller eggs.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 07:49:31 AM »

4) at the end of 1 minute, cover the pot and remove from the heat and set a timer for 7 minutes
6) stick them in a cup with about a tablespoon of butter (i am a whore for butter so maybe even a little more)
7) add some salt and white pepper, mash it all up, and eat it with a spoon (and a couple slices of bacon on the side if you have 'em)

sooooooo gooooood

omg, that sounds so good.  i didn't actual realize soft boiled eggs were peelable.  i might be trying this tomorrow.  do you really have to let them come to room temperature?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »

sooooooo gooooood

omg, that sounds so good.  i didn't actual realize soft boiled eggs were peelable.  i might be trying this tomorrow.  do you really have to let them come to room temperature?

Well, that's how he does them, and they are awesome :) But maybe you could let them sit in the hot water for an extra minute or boil a little bit longer to compensate if the eggs are cold. It takes a little experimentation to get it just how you like it.

Oh, yes, if you use a nice cultured butter like Kerrygold you will not regret this.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Today I ruled. Sorted through and bagged up over 100 tiny bags of candy for my husband's students, who are taking their high stakes test in the morning. I ate no candy.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Today I ruled. Sorted through and bagged up over 100 tiny bags of candy for my husband's students, who are taking their high stakes test in the morning. I ate no candy.

That is awesome!